How to make a plough for a power tiller with your own hands
Buying a single axle tractor, we often can not buy all the attachments to it. For example, this difference in price is due to the type and quality, different complexity of the plungers. And it’s not always possible to buy what we need. Tools made by our own hands are worth much less. Therefore, consider here how to make a plow for a motor-block with their own hands. With drawings, with explanations.
Many ploughs have been designed and built. In homestead plots it is enough to use such:
Single tine plough. the most common, it is easy to handle. Anyone without skills and unfamiliar with mechanized plowing will be able to work with it. There is a lot of information on the web, how to make a homemade plow for a motor-block, drawings to it. Such a placer is not too difficult to make yourself. The reversible one is good for hard soils. It has a curved shape. Due to this, the land is plowed in such a way that the layer is turned over. This plough is more difficult to make. One should have skills to work with this kind of thing, in order to make the product properly. Rotary plough is even more complicated than a reversible plough. It consists of several plowshares, one following the other. on one axis. The rotary plough has a swivel axle. The layers are turned over. Due to physical inertia and forward motion, it facilitates the plowing process. This treatment allows you to effectively do plowing up to 30 cm. in depth. Rotary plow with their own hands has another advantage: you can do plowing on any trajectory, not only in a straight line. An area with oblique or curved edges can be ploughed as desired with this device. Naturally, this is convenient.
How to make a one-hulled plough
Such a plough looks something like this. It is not necessary to have a wheel next to it.
There is a single hull without a wheel:
One should carefully measure everything, having thought over the drawing in advance. Here is an example of such a drawing:
We make a model out of cardboard, identical in shape and size to the plough. If the model is successful, then it is duplicated in steel. Steel should be alloyed, 3 mm thick. When the steel form is cut out, the problem arises of how to make a ploughshare of that peculiar oval-screw shape. Stamping the mold at home and even in the workshop is problematic. So again we make a mold from thick cardboard, this time only straight. After that we cut (with an angle grinder) the steel mold neatly into strips of steel. Number each strip. Cut the cardboard form into exactly the same strips. Let’s number. We experiment with bending and gluing (with scotch tape, duct tape) strips so that the bent and glued strips took, repeated the shape of the first cardboard model. Know the position and bend of each strip. Perform bending, twisting. already steel strips. Take it in turns, welding the twisted strips and checking against the layout. Use a vice and improvised tools. When the plowshare is roughly finished, carefully grind the welding spots. Now about the blade of the plowshare, which is below. You need hardened alloy steel for it. It is desirable to make it removable, so it can be removed and changed for ready, pre-sharpened. It is more convenient in this way. Fastening the blade with short, sturdy countersunk bolts. Three countersunk socket wrench bolts on the blade side are enough.
The plough on a single axle tractor: varieties and their design features
A plough is a special device for tilling the ground, fitted with metal coulters. Designed for loosening and overturning the upper layers of soil, which is an important part of pre-sowing and under-winter cultivation. Originally, plows were pulled by man, a little later. by farm animals. Today, the plough on a single axle tractor is one of the options for the use of this mounted auxiliary equipment, in addition to the tractor or minitractor.Depending on the shape of the main working elements, plows on a single-axle tractor can be:
Based on the number of working parts:
In addition, plows on a single-axle tractor are divided into regular and reversible according to the specifics of attachment.
Features of the homemade model
A plough assembled by one’s own hands is a tool that meets target needs and has a low cost. To assemble it, you can use materials that are available, as well as parts of the designs of other agricultural units. The latter can be sourced from old farm shops, black metal recycling centers, and other similar places.
A self-made plow is easy to orient to your needs. It is possible to adapt it to different types of soil, traction mechanisms and even crop cultivation functions. An own plough can be made to match the power and productivity of tractors, for highest effectiveness and lowest destructive loads on the ploughing tool.
Read also How to install blinds on plastic windows
The cutting element of this plough can be interchangeable and manufactured/sharpened independently, which makes maintenance of the mechanism much cheaper. With self-made appears the possibility of varying the intended use. the introduction of the function of interchangeable elements: nozzles, fasteners, parts of the body and frame. This enables combined operations, such as ploughing and mowing shrubs.
When building your own plow, special attention can be paid to the choice of materials and their quality. This is one of the key advantages of homemade assembly, since when buying a plow in a store, it is difficult to be sure of the quality of metal used to make the factory unit. After the purchase of a store model you may need to make further adjustments or replace some low-quality parts of the design.
Types of plows for power tillers
Plows used for plowing are divided into several types. These include:
- Single-hulled designs. these products are the easiest to use. They have a minimum weight and consist of a small number of parts;
- Reversible or rotary plows. the upper part of such designs is equipped with a bent feather, designed to overturn the soil directly during its plowing. Reversible ploughs are most effective when processing heavy soil;
- Rotary ploughs. this type of mounted equipment has the most complex design. On sale you can find a two-cartridge plow, consisting of two, and three-cartridge plow, consisting of three plowshares;
- disc ploughs. designs of this type are mainly used for plowing wet soil. The depth of tillage with such plows is slightly less than with the previous types of mounted equipment.
Each of these plow types is used for plowing one type of soil or another. Nevertheless, the two-sided reversible plough is considered the most versatile. it shows high efficiency in any type of soil treatment.
How to make a plow on a single axle tractor with your own hands?
Before you start making a plow with your own hands, you will need to carefully study the drawings. They should tell you how to attach the parts to each other. The further procedure is as follows:
- Begin with making the ploughshare. To do this, take steel, at least 5 mm thick, and shape it into the desired shape. Knock off the cutting part of the steel billet on the anvil, and then sharpen it. This is done in exactly the same way as in the case of sharpening a hand-held grass scythe;
- Next, you need to make a homemade mouldboard. For this will fit a steel tube with a diameter of 50 cm and a wall thickness of no more than 5 mm. Cut the workpiece for the future blade with a cutter. To shape the piece, hammer it on an anvil and grind it on a sharpening machine;
- Next you need to assemble the parts of the plow into one construction. Take a sheet of steel, which should be 50×50 cm in size and 3 mm thick. Step 4 centimeters off the edges of the sheet and align it so that you end up with a zero angle;
- Next, with the help of wedges, attach the ploughshare to the sheet and make a two-sided spot welding, observing an angle of 25°;
- Connect ploughshare and mouldboard as tightly as possible. Between the top part of the mouldboard and the share’s blade you have to make an angle of 8°;
After that, again make accurate measurements of all angles. Only when you are satisfied that the connections are correct can you finally weld the plough parts together. As soon as the structure is completely cooled down, grind away the existing welds.
How to make a plough for a single axle tractor with your own hands?
Before you start making a plough with your own hands, you need to carefully study the drawings. They should tell you how to attach the parts to each other. The further procedure is as follows:
- First make a ploughshare. For this, take steel that is at least 5 mm thick, and shape it into the desired shape. Knock out the cutting part of the steel material on an anvil, then sharpen it. This is done in exactly the same way as in the case of sharpening a manual grass scythe;
- Next you need to make a homemade mouldboard. For this you should use a steel tube, 50 cm in diameter and wall thickness of no more than 5 mm. Cut out the workpiece for the future mouldboard with a cutter. To shape the product, hammer it on an anvil and grind it on a sharpening machine;
- Next, you need to assemble the parts of the plow into one design. Take a sheet of steel with dimensions of 50×50 cm and a thickness of 3 mm. Make a 4-centimeter indent on the edges of the sheet and align it so that you end up with a zero angle;
- Then, using wedges, attach a ploughshare to the sheet and make a two-sided spot-welding, observing an angle of 25°;
- Join the share and mouldboard together as tightly as possible. Between the top of the mouldboard and the blade you need an angle of 8°;
Then measure all angles accurately again. Only after you’re satisfied that all the welds are “right” can you finally weld in place. Clean up all welds as soon as the structure is completely cooled down.
Reverse plow for power tiller. making procedure
As in the first case, to make a rotary plow, you need to study the design scheme. Otherwise even the slightest inaccuracy will result in low efficiency of the finished attachment. To make a Zykov plow, proceed in this order:
- For making the coulter blade use sheet steel, about 5 mm thick. Cut a piece out of it, heat it with a gas burner and bend it as shown in the picture. The lever must be removable. The cutting part of the part is hammered on the anvil and sharpened on a special machine;
- Next, make the mouldboard. It can be made of a tube with a wall thickness of 5 mm and a diameter of 50 cm. Using a gas torch cut out the mouldboard template, and then grind it with an angle grinder;
- After that, make the body of the plough from 3mm thick sheet steel and assemble the construction using welding;
- Deburr the welding seams with a file and sandpaper.
As a result, you get a universal plow on a single-axle tractor, with which you can work not only dry but also wet soil.
Parts drawing for a power tiller
You can draw up a diagram and detailed drawing of the functional and structural elements yourself. Maximum precision to avoid difficulties in assembly and negative effects of inaccuracies on the performance of the finished machine. Strictly adhere to the overall dimensions of the parts. Even a slight inaccuracy can have a big impact on the performance of the equipment. Three structural surfaces are included in the dimensional drawings of the attachment for the power tiller:
The typical diagram of the simplest homemade plow is made up of:
- Two handles made of steel pipe.
- Post retainer with M10 or M8 screw.
- Hinge fork for frame pivot.
- The bridges between the handles.
- Hinged shaft.
- Retaining nuts.
- shim washer.
- Drawing arm for drawbar.
Depending on the type and purpose of the equipment, this list may include other elements.
Homemade monohull plough
The simplest but at the same time the most effective design of plough is a single-hoe plough.
Such a design is applicable for the production of its own hands at home. For the manufacture will not require special tools and appliances, as well as special skills, it will be enough tools available in the handyman’s workshop.
According to the experience of many owners, who use ploughshares in their field work, the ploughshare must be periodically removed for its sharpening before beginning work. When choosing the materials for the ploughshare we recommend to use 9ÕÑ alloy steel, used for making circular saws.
Steel 45 can be used, but it needs to be hardened to HRC 50-55. Do not rule out the use of normal steels, including steels of St. Petersburg and St. Petersburg.5, which is not subjected to hardening, but can be brought to the right quality, if you beat off the edge with a hammer and sharpen it.
The mouldboard can be made by different methods, let’s look at some of them in order to choose the most convenient and affordable one.
- Blade is made of 3,0-4,0 mm thick steel sheet. To make it, bending rollers are needed to give the moldboard a curved shape. The workpiece is cut out according to the template, then run through the rollers and bring to the desired shape with a hammer.
- It is possible to make the moldboard using a steel tube of 0,55-0,6 m diameter and 4,0-5,0 mm wall thickness. Prepare in advance cardboard template, we put it on the tube so that the angle formed by the bottom face and the horizontal pipe is 20-30 °. The contour is traced, cut out with a gas torch, and then ground with an emery or angle grinder. If necessary, the shape can be corrected by using a hammer.
- In the manufacture of the mouldboard, you can use a steel sheet, but the shape can be given after preheating the workpiece by bending it along the matrix, for example, taking the mouldboard of a purchased plow.
You may need information about the potato arrow to the tiller or self-made potato digger.
Block: 4/7 | Number of characters: 2053
Homemade single hoe plow
The simplest, but also the most effective design of the plough is a single-hulled plough.
Such a design is applicable for the production of their own hands at home. You don’t need special tools and devices or any special skills to make it, all you need are the tools you have in your handyman’s workshop.
The experience of the owners, who use in their field works motor blocks equipped with plows, shows that the ploughshare must be periodically removed to sharpen it before the beginning of works. When choosing the materials for the ploughshare we recommend 9XS alloy steel, which is used for making circular saws.
Steel 45 can be used, but it needs to be hardened up to hardness HRC 50-55. Use of ordinary steels, including steels of St. Petersburg, Russia, is not excluded.5, which are not subjected to hardening, but can be brought to the required quality, if you beat off the edge with a hammer and sharpen it.
The mouldboard can be made by different methods, let’s look at some of them so we can choose the most convenient and affordable one by material and cost.
- The moldboard is made of 3,0-4,0 mm thick steel plate. Bending rollers are needed to make the moldboard into a curved shape. The workpiece is cut out following the template, then run through the rollers and bring to the required shape by hammer.
- It is possible to make the mouldboard using steel pipes with diameter of 0,55-0,6 m and wall thickness of 4,0-5,0 mm. Prepare cardboard template in advance, put it on the tube so that the angle formed by the bottom face and the horizontal of the tube is 20-30 °. The contour is outlined, cut out with a gas burner, after that it is processed with an emery or an angle grinder. If necessary, the shape can be corrected with a hammer.
- In the manufacture of the mouldboard can be used steel sheet, but the form can be given after preheating of the workpiece, bending it on a matrix, for example, taking the mouldboard purchased plow.
You may need the information about the potato mower for your power tiller or self-made potato digger.
Block: 4/7 | Number of characters: 2053
Rotary plow on a single axle tractor: advantages of the unit
It has the most advanced form for plowing virgin land, overgrown weeds at a depth of about 30 cm. The rotary homemade plow includes:
single-axle tractor, on which such an implement is mounted, must have a functioning PTO. It is he who drives the axle, and she. plowshares.
Rotary ploughs on a single axle tractor in self-made version are most often used with disc mechanisms. But also known as drum, shovel and auger plows. Indispensable for fertilizer and weed control.
Block: 5/10 | Number of characters: 592
Rotary plow: algorithm of actions
Rotary plow for a motor-block with a support wheel is considered a canopy of complex type because of its design. Work on it with great care, so that errors do not negatively affect the quality of cultivation.
Rotary plow is made according to a certain algorithm:
- Cutter. the working part. For making the frame, you need to prepare a steel tube and metal plates. The latter are welded to the pipe for subsequent grinding of the soil and throwing it aside;
- Making the frame for the gearbox. It comes in any shape, the main nuance. the frame must protect the gearbox from moisture, debris, external damage;
- You have to buy a gearbox. It’s connected to the machine’s gearbox;
- The rotary plough is quite large, so wheels must be fitted. Old wheels from motorcycles are good enough.
This design will last a long time. It is important to change the oil that lubricates the gearbox in time to prevent breakage.
How to make a plow for a power tiller with your own hands from the horse?
The horse plow, compared to other types of attachments, can be made entirely of wood. The only element made of metal can be a ploughshare.
Step-by-step instructions on how to make a horse-drawn plow for plowing the land yourself are given below:
- The handles are made of two wooden planks, which are about 10 centimeters thick. The upper part of the handles is supplemented with rubberized pads;
- The handles are connected at right angles, so it will be more convenient to hold them with two hands;
- The lower parts of the elements are connected by self-tapping screws;
- A bar 20 centimeters thick needs to be bent so that its ends are positioned parallel;
- The lower end of the bar is attached to the ploughshare;
- At the upper end, the plow attachment to the power tiller is installed. Small-sized wooden bars can be used for manufacturing;
- A double crank is installed in the middle of the attachment.
The structure of the horse plow is very simple, but it is highly effective. It can not be used when processing wet soil, so as not to break the wooden parts.
The way of making a plow for a power tiller can be customized. Each homemade canopy can be used with units of popular brands Neva, MB-1 and MB-2, MTZ, Krot, Salyut.
Assembly of the coupling for the motor-block with your own hands involves the use of drawings. Available quite a lot of all kinds of options, but it is best to take as a basis the most suitable and adjust to the parameters of their equipment. The drawing should show the following details:
- Two U-shaped components, identical in all parameters, but with a different number of holes. one has 6, the other. 8;
- a body including two threads with diameters M12 and M16 and equipped with a connecting structure for attachment to one of the assemblies;
- The adjustment component is a lever placed on the body of the part, its design consists of a screw connected to a bracket and for convenience has a handle; it is important to provide for the correct direction of the bracket. only up or down and in such a way that it does not interfere with the work of the motoblock;
Since the machine has to be connected to the hitch in any case, you can find out more about how to attach it in the instruction manual.
How to attach the power tiller hitch?
The hitch is connected to the power tiller with sturdy steel pins. At the same time, you need to make sure that the dimensions of the holes of the structure coincide, and all the components can be freely secured.
Before you begin, you must also adjust the hitch. First loosen adjustment bolts, and then set the optimal working position of the attachment, tighten the bolts. Sometimes it is necessary to make several more adjustments in the course of work. depending on the type of soil, speed of work, power of the power tiller and other factors. After first hitching, keep a close eye on your power tool and attachments to prevent damage and to make adjustments in time.
The homemade universal tractor hitch for the tiller can be used not only for attaching an attachment or for a trailer. It can also be attached to a mini-tractor or other farm equipment.
Do not forget to clean the hitch every time after finishing work. Pay particular attention to connections and threads. Don’t forget to lubricate the part to extend its life.
Categories of devices
For example a harrow or potato planter can be used as a hitch. These implements belong to the first category. The second type includes planting and steering mechanisms. In other words, it is an equipment that is only intermediate between a power tiller and some other device. These elements are considered to be universal and are often called adapters.
Attached devices deserve special attention. This is considered to be a highly specialized vehicle, as it can only be used for the carriage of goods. In fact, the trailer can be used to transport almost any thing, which greatly extends the functionality of the device. It is also worth noting that it is the trailer that is a prime example of an adapter that has an elongated shape, at the end of which there is a wheel set. On top of this element is installed a capacious body, which is used for the transportation of goods. Currently, there are many different variations, differing in shape, maximum payload, type of wheel set.
The use of additional equipment for power tillers allows you to clean snow in the winter. Appropriate equipment is used; the SMB-1, for example, is a popular attachment for a power tiller.
Snowplow has a rotary blade and ejector, which allow you to remove snow from the road with a thickness up to 200 mm. All snow mass should be thrown to the curb at a distance of up to 5 meters. Homemade snow removal attachment for a power tiller is an alternative to a tractor or shovel.
Snow plows are a great alternative to shovels and tractors
To be able to remove the snow cover of 1 m, you need to use power tillers, snow shoveling attachments, and in addition use the blade-shovel. Blade, having a width of 1 m, you can remove wet heavy snow with a layer thickness up to 30 cm, which has a lot of water and ice.
A set of such equipment is equipped with an additional handle that allows you to change the direction of cut. If there is a powerful enough engine, you can remove the top layer of sandy sod with the help of a power tiller. Thanks to the blade shovel and adapter, the usual single-axle tractor works like a mini bulldozer. The attachment, which has a rotary brush, allows you to perform the final sweeping of the roadway. For more convenient operation of the device in the evening, you can think about how to make a light on a power tiller with snow clearing attachment.