Making a Hand Powered Circular Saw. Surgical Instruments
Safe to use equipment
When performing any homemade woodworking machine, care must be taken to ensure the safety of working on the equipment. Cutter should, if possible, be closed by protective devices, and the work on the machine, where the working cutting element does not have any protection, is prohibited. Most homemade circuits for making a planer have quality protection for the electric planer, which eliminates injury when working with such equipment.
- Working with homemade tools, you must use protective goggles and work gloves. Especially the latter will be required when working with coarse dense workpieces, when the runout of the homemade reismus from the electric planer when processing the material is noted.
- The studs used must be free of cracks, defects and damage. If cracks or damage are detected the defective parts must be replaced.
If simple safety precautions are observed, the work on the thicknesser will not present any difficulties, and the machine itself will last for many years. on homemade machines it will be possible to perform high-quality processing of wood, saving on the purchase of industrial milling machines.
Those who plan to seriously engage in woodworking, it is worth thinking about the manufacture of a full-fledged stationary circular saw. It should be a separate unit, mounted on a workbench, equipped with a powerful motor, with the ability to quickly change the disc. Making a circular saw with your own hands will take time, but it is sure to pay for itself.
Despite the apparent simplicity of this device, it is worth creating a drawing of the machine before starting work. This will allow you to visually see the future unit, choose the optimal configuration.
The basis of every machine is the base, the frame on which all the main parts are mounted. The base of the circular saw must be stable and reliable, so it is made of metal. It is preferable to use a profile pipe or thick-walled angle. Welding is used for connecting the parts. If demountable construction is planned, bolted connection is suitable.
It is not difficult to buy the right material; you can find both pipes and angle bars at any specialized hardware store. Those who want to save money can be recommended to go to scrap metal dealers. You can buy the same, but cheaper.
Metal is the best material for table top of a professional circular saw. Steel and aluminum-based alloys are excellent. For a budget variant, you can be limited to thick multi-layer plywood, upholstered with sheet iron. In any case, the surface of the tabletop must be smooth, resistant to friction and not sag under the weight of up to 50 kg.
In the table top make a groove for the disk. There are two ways to do it. You can make a cut in a single sheet, or you can assemble the tabletop from two halves. The second method is preferable for metal worktops, where the cut is difficult to make at home.
Attach parallel stop to worktop. The best material for this, regardless of the material of the table is a steel corner. For its fixing, make the slots or use powerful clamps.
The motor of the future circular saw is chosen depending on the disc available. If you plan to work with small disks, 150-170 mm in diameter, you can limit yourself to the electric motor with power of about 0,5 kW. For disks with a diameter of 350 mm you need to look for the unit of 1 kW or more.
If desired, it is possible to make a sawing machine for work outside the workshop, for this purpose it is enough to provide the possibility of installing a gasoline engine of small power, it can be removable.
V-belt drive is the optimal drive for your circular saw. Two pulleys are used, one on the motor and one on the drive shaft. It is convenient and safe. There is no direct connection between the motor rotor and the blade, in case of jamming of the tool the belt will start to slip, signaling the need to cut off the power. Additionally, by using pulleys with several arms, different diameters, it is possible to regulate the speed of the saw, choosing the best mode for different types of wood.
Rotation from the motor rotor is transmitted to the shaft. This is one of the most critical parts of the circular saw. You can hardly make the shaft yourself, it is better to buy ready-made or order it from a turner.
Shaft mounted on bearings. They must be of the closed type: the circular saw is a place of sawing and open ones will not last long.
Materials and components required
If desired, it is possible to make a jointer from an ordinary electric planer. It is not even necessary to disassemble new tools. It is enough to take an already used unit and proceed to its modernization.
The disadvantage of modern planers is the plastic body. Over time, its construction loosens up, and cracks or chips appear on the body. Working with such a tool causes difficulties, but it is excellent for creating a planer machine.
The choice of materials and tools for building a self-made machine is determined by its construction. In most cases it includes those presented below.
- Stand. The base of the machine, designed to hold the weight of your future machine. Also on the bed will later be installed key equipment for processing workpieces. You will need strong steel channels to make this element. There are two versions of the base: collapsible and complete. The first variant involves fixing the component parts with bolts and nuts. In the second case, it is possible to fasten the channels with the help of welding.
- Working tool. This component of the machine includes the planer blades and the surface saw. The blades should be fixed on the shaft, the best choice of elements is strong steel. When selecting a saw, circular saws are recommended in preference.
- The rotor. Will provide the attachment of machine tool tools. Finding a suitable rotor is not easy, so in most cases it is ordered from professional turners. However, if you choose this option, you will need to find or develop suitable drawings.
- Work table. In order for the machine to function properly, you will need to equip it with three surfaces. The first will act as the working table, on which the saw will be installed. The other two are designed directly for the planing machine. Strong plywood with several layers, as well as metal sheets are suitable for making the table.
The manufacturing procedure is quite simple. However, initially you should study the drawings and diagrams of the future equipment, as well as get acquainted with the step-by-step sequence of assembling the machine.
How to make a circular saw with your own hands?
Circular saw is required in private households quite often, but to buy for this expensive tool is not necessarily. It is possible to make a circular saw with your own hands from improvised means.
Circular saw, instead of puger saw
Circular saw, a tool that worked, works and will work for a very long time. It can do straight and cross cuts, sawing, both at vertical and horizontal angles, it can also do sawing the edge of the board known as splicing. Make such cuts when preparing boards for gluing, where the surfaces to be joined must be precisely aligned.
What is a circular saw?
The circular saw is necessary for cutting various materials (wood, slate, gypsum plasterboard, soft metal, plywood, etc.) at home and in the workplace. д.). This manual electric tool (as standard) is designed to perform a straight sawing of depths from 40 to 140 mm (most of the models produced by manufacturers allow you to make cuts at right angles up to 85 mm, but for construction sites there is a line of more powerful equipment). The operator holds the device firmly in his hands during the operation and performs sawing by moving along the work piece. Herewith there are no size restrictions on the length and width of the workpieces. It is possible to saw at an angle to the workpiece surface.
Saws are available in various capacities. The most budgetary devices have power up to 1.2 kW and are designed for sawing workpieces up to 4.5 cm thick. They are excellent for domestic use, for intermittent work for short periods of time and are simple and unpretentious. If you want to make a cut up to 6.5 cm, and you need to do it often and for a long time, you need a semi-professional tool with power up to 1.8 kW. For production tasks, professional equipment with power up to 2.2 kW is available, which can withstand long loads and can make cuts of parts up to 8.5 cm thick. In addition, there are tools designed for use in woodworking companies, capable of sawing workpieces up to 14.1 cm thick. It has a power up to 5.5 kW and weighs up to 100 kg.
Important! Units with a power rating of up to 1 kW are usually sufficient for domestic workshops. It is important to consider this factor before buying a model because overpayment for the saw itself and for the electricity it consumes is usually not justified by the necessity.
When selecting blades for your tool, pay attention to their technical parameters.
- Angle of sharpening. Soft materials are sawn with discs with teeth inclined towards the rotation of the disc. Metal requires models with a negative sharpening angle.
- Number of teeth. Circular saw blades with different numbers of teeth are recommended for cutting different materials: a high number of teeth for soft materials and a low number of teeth for hard materials. For example, for wood, the minimum number of teeth is 24.
To use a circular saw for a long period of time it is important that it does not weigh too much, that it is ergonomic and that the blades are well sharpened. Not at all easy to hold in the hand over a long period of time. Operator fatigue can reduce the quality of the cut. This is why many craftsmen who work with saws practice setting them on a table.
The point of this device is to fix the saw body under the tabletop so that only the saw blade is above the table. The workpiece is moved across the table top and sawn with the rotating blade. Such a stationary device greatly facilitates labor and allows for continuous work without loss of quality and quickly. Manufacturers offer a large number of models of saws placed on tables. Self-made design allows not only to save money, but also to get at the disposal of the unit in accordance with their own requirements.
Now it is necessary to get a little acquainted with the possible design solutions.
|Single-phase motors must be purchased from specialized stores, in addition you must have a shaft on bearings. This is the most difficult to make and expensive in price circular saw. If you accurately calculate all costs, including the cost of materials for the manufacture of the table and the lost time, it is economically feasible to buy a ready-made machine for home use. In addition, the complete fabrication of a solid metal saw bed with all the adjustments at home is not possible, you will have to turn to mechanical craftsmen for turning and milling some parts. Beginner craftsmen are not recommended to use this variant of circular saw.|
|These solutions are offered by elderly carpenters who still remember washing machines with powerful motors. In those times, no one saved electric power, the power was always set with a significant reserve. Today the situation has changed, low-power economical motors are mounted on washing machines. There’s no sense in making a machine capable of sawing only plywood several millimeters thick on their base.|
|An extremely undesirable option for several reasons. First of all, it is recommended that the speed of the circular saw shaft should not exceed 2-3 thousand rpm. about. per minute, and an angle grinder gives 9-11 thousand. about. Tooth fabrication material, sharpening angles, setting values and other very important parameters of circular saws are calculated on the basis of this parameter. It is categorically forbidden to use them at such high revolutions. Secondly, the power of the angle grinder is about 1 kW, which is very small for a stationary circular saw, it will not be able to cut thick boards. And for cutting only laths it is not reasonable to make a life-threatening stationary machine.|
Conclusion. For the non-professional craftsman, the best option for making a stationary circular saw should be considered the use of a portable circular saw as a drive.
In addition to varying equipment prices, electric wood circular saws can be powered from the domestic power grid or from connected batteries. In each case, there are advantages and disadvantages, because stationary machines are more powerful, but they are more expensive and not mobile, and circular saws with battery though less powerful and has a limited operating period, but they can work in any conditions without access to the network.
Bosch Professional GKS 10,8 V-LI/12V-26 cordless circular saw
In terms of power there is a division between the following types:
The preference should be based on the intended thickness of the workpieces to be machined. Larger diameter bars need a faster motor for cutting.
Speed and diameter of the tooling are also related. Smaller diameter drills require faster tools. In this situation you can get by with an 800 watt motor. For larger diameter circular saws the speed needs to be slightly lower to prevent the cutting edge sticking to the outside diameter and to give optimal cutting speed.
It is important to consider additional parameters that affect comfort, facilitate operation and help make the circular machine as safe as possible in operation:
- Soft start. The option has two purposes, one of which is to treat the operation of the electric motor with care, and the other is to minimize surges in the mains. The functionality is particularly useful for powerful and stationary equipment.
- Start lock. No accidental triggering of the tool, which is good for the safety of the model.
- Chip collection. Sawing generates a lot of small chips and shavings. These must be removed in good time to ensure convenient and safe operation. Some models have an option to connect a vacuum cleaner for sawdust extraction.
- Laser for marking. It helps during the dissection of long workpieces along the central axis. That way you get the smoothest edges possible.
- With tungsten carbide inserts. This type of saw blade is suitable for crosscut sawing and hardwood processing. The models are characterized by high resistance and durability, but require careful handling due to the fragility of the material.
- Variable tooth sizes. Variety used for longitudinal processing along fibers. In most cases, a small thickness of cut is formed.
- The universal type made of high-speed-cutting material (HSS) with a classic setting. The most common type of disc that is used in most cases.
It is preferable for young professionals to choose popular brands with universal characteristics. experienced craftsmen have several different tools, for example, with a planer or with a planer for different types of work.
What you need to know about wood circular saws?
The circular saw is the backbone of any woodworking operation. This applies to industrial workshops as well as small home sawmills.
Thanks to the solid base, small boards or plywood, as well as solid logs or beams can be dissolved on such equipment.