How to choose a line for a grass trimmer
Before considering the rating of the best manufacturers, let’s touch upon the criteria for selecting the line itself for the grass trimmer:
- Cord material. Buying a fishing line, you need to be interested in what it is made of. The more plastic the material, the less likely the cord will break. The best here are polyamide monofilament and nylon. For particularly rough grass (e.g. burdocks) use reinforced rigging, containing a steel string inside.
- Sectional shape. The line is available in four configurations. A round line is considered universal and is used for mowing all kinds of vegetation. It also winds easily on the bobbin. A sprocket and square, thanks to their pronounced edges, easily cut coarse and overripe grass. A coiled cord makes up to 50% less noise than other lines, so it is ideal for continuous operation.
- Diameter. The index ranges from 1.3 to 5.0 mm. The strength and load of the motor depends on it. 1.3-2.0 mm is suitable for trimmers with 0.7-1.0 kW. 2.4 mm is chosen for electric trimmers with 1.4 kW as well as semi-professional brushcutters. 2.7-5.0 mm is an accessory for professional gardening equipment.
Which line to choose for which job?
Users quite often have a question about which brushcutter is best suited for which job. Here everything depends on the complexity of the job.
For convenience, it is worth dividing all types of work into several groups:
- simple maintenance of the lawn in good condition;
- Average periodic cleaning. at least once a month. throughout the entire area;
- difficult. removing shrubs, weeds, dead wood, perennial overgrowth.
Depending on complexity you should choose the right fishing line. For example, if you just need to trim the lush, young, and tender greenery on your lawn, you might opt for a round nylon fishing line. If the price is in the first place, you can buy the material of even section. If you do not want to listen to the constant loud hum, it makes sense to overpay a little and buy a high-quality fishing line with a twisted section. Yes, it is more expensive and it is consumed faster. But the noise level is noticeably lower. True, if you work with a gasoline trimmer, then there won’t be much difference. anyway, the noise of the engine will block the whistling of the fishing line.
For medium difficulty work, it is better to choose a nylon line with a square cross section or a sprocket. Of course, they cost more than a round. But it’s also much more efficient. You don’t have to spend a lot of time getting your site in order. But the time spent could have been much more useful.
Finally, if the most difficult work is to be done, you should not save money. it is better to buy reinforced or two-component thread of “star” or “square” cross-section. Of course, they are the most expensive. But any dead wood and even small bushes will be cut instantly. It saves not only your time but also consumables. a thin polyethylene fishing line will most likely just tear while working, unable to cope with it.
So, in order not to make a mistake when choosing a line for a grass trimmer, you need to know exactly what kind of work it will be used for.
What is the line feed on a trimmer?
How nice that the scythe has been replaced by such a device as a grass trimmer. a universal garden tool for mowing thickets. When it has a spool of fishing line, it will cope with any area of neglected grass, and when it has a disk installed. the trimmer has no equal.
Yes, such a unit has long received its positive evaluation among gardeners. Thanks to which the device was improved, adapted to different tasks and scales of work. In addition to ergonomic handles and a variety of forms, there has of course been a need for extra functions. For example, the type of line feed. an important component. About this feature and we will talk in our article.
The line is the fastest consumed material during mowing. And how often does it sometimes wear you out to lengthen the cord or coil up a new one? Because of this constant problem, additional types of reels were developed, each with its own “convenience”. There are currently three types of reels in terms of how the line is fed:
Manual line feed
Manual. the name implies that the line has to be extended by hand every time. We make the point that the device must be turned off during operation for this operation. Which is logical in principle. Pros: this type of spool is recognized as the most reliable. the line is consumed evenly, no unnecessary stress on the grass trimmer device, a budget version of the spool. Cons: time-consuming manual cord extension.
Semi-automatic line feed
Semi-automatic. while the grass trimmer is working, if you want to lengthen the cord, you need to touch the ground with the reel. There is a button on it, which opens the line release mechanism. Of course, the line will not unwind from every accidental contact with the ground. For this purpose, there is a start button on the handle of the grass trimmer, which should be pressed and at the same time “hit” the grass trimmer. Pros: uncomplicated principle of operation, comfortable and fast feed during the operation of the grass trimmer. Disadvantages: more expensive than a hand reel, more complicated feed system (from a technical point of view).
Automatic line feed
Automatic. we can say that this is the “last word in technology” today. You don’t need to worry about line flow anymore.к. the grass trimmer automatically lengthens the cords itself. This is done at lower engine speeds. Plus: The line feeds automatically while the weed trimmer is running. Disadvantages: they are several times more expensive than semi-automatic, technically more complicated (perhaps the weakest side of such coils). Only high-quality automatic spool will serve you faithfully for a long time.
Cheapest Grass Trimmer
CONCLUSION: manual spools are moderately consuming line, but less convenient in feeding cords. Semi-automatic. we can say this is the best option, the main thing is to monitor the line and time “hit” the trimmer for grass. the automatic spool. it does everything for the operator, but the only disadvantage: it doesn’t sparing the line. Why does it consume a lot of material?
It is worth noting that the line plays an important role in the efficiency of any reel, as well as the engine of the grass trimmer itself. Consider the thickness and shape of the line. And it is better to do it in accordance with the parameters specified in the passport of the tool. For example, if you install a line with a thickness greater than the manufacturer recommends, then during the work the cord will increase resistance, which will give additional pressure on the motor. And what leads to such negligence. it’s no secret.
When it comes to the shape of the line, it’s not easy either. With more information you can read in a separate article “Grass trimmer line: what is the best to buy”.
What is important to know when working with a fishing line?
For the tool to serve you for a long time, you need to know some peculiarities of its device, storage and maintenance:
- The head of the grass trimmer during operation should be parallel to the ground to prevent the line from touching the ground and stones. It is desirable not to touch hard objects, curbs, fences.
- Electric grass trimmers are the most sensitive to moisture, so you can not work with them in rain and wet weather.
- After finishing work, you need to thoroughly clean all parts of the mechanism from dirt, grass, wipe all wires and fishing line, so that the next time you start everything will function well.
Tips and tricks
Watch out for curved line. Due to the expansion of the line in the grooves, choose a line with a smaller diameter than the “working” characteristics of the line for the grass trimmer, which are specified in the instruction manual for the tool. We also want to note that strings with a shaped section. star or ribbed. wear out faster, but work as efficiently as possible. The grooves make the work go faster, but there are occasional breaks in the line, which increases its consumption.
But star line is less traumatic for plants. For example, a star-shaped line is recommended for mowing fresh grass: after mowing, the vegetation does not dry out as with a round string.
Note! The use of metal wire, rope or rod as a mowing string is STRICTLY FORBIDDEN! In addition to harming the tool, metal parts can harm the operator’s health!
If you want to experiment and install a larger or smaller line on your grass trimmer, note that if your tool calls for a 2mm line, you can safely go with a 0.5mm larger or smaller line. But remember. do not cut more than the maximum diameter specified in the instruction manual. Using a different line diameter will reduce the durability of the grass trimmer motor. In addition to engine wear the line itself will be worse to pass, periodically winded on the spool, which creates certain difficulties in the work and spend times more.
What materials are used to make the cord
Various synthetic compounds are used to manufacture the consumable material. Nylon is considered one of the best choices, with polypropylene and polyamide in the core of the product.
The main advantages of this material include:
- Durability. Most buyers prefer this option only because of this indicator, but it is impossible to achieve it without proper storage. Nylon fishing line should not be left in the sun or indoors at sub-zero temperatures. It destroys the chemical bond and the cord breaks down almost immediately.
- The second advantage is the lightness. The index positively affects the maximum speed. This makes it possible to mow more and more efficiently.
- Even if the product bumps into a rock or metal while cutting the grass, there will be no serious damage, since the cord is fully resistant to mechanical impact.
- The last advantage, which will be decisive for many. low cost. In addition, the fishing line is sold in many construction stores, so it is easy to find it.
But even in this case there are fakes, for example, when the composition contains additional materials or, even worse, cheap polyethylene. The main disadvantage of this solution is the fast wear and tear, which negatively affects the quality of mowing. To avoid getting into such a situation, it is recommended to buy the original models, although the cost will be a little more expensive.
If a person constantly works with vegetation, where there are thick stems, it is better to give preference to cord 2.6-3.3 mm. Most of these products are made of hard graphite or special steel rods. This solution has a beneficial effect on the durability and increases the service life of the material. Therefore, it is not changed as often. However, when working with lines, it is important to follow the safety rules, otherwise you can be injured.
Also, thin cords are sold in stores, where metal particles are present. Thanks to this, the strength indicators increase, which affects the efficiency of the cut, so a person will be able to clear the area from the overgrowth faster.
What materials are used to make the cord
Various synthetic compounds are used to manufacture the consumable material. One of the best options is considered nylon, the product is based on polypropylene and polyamide.
The main advantages of this material include:
- Strength. Most buyers prefer this option only because of this indicator, but it cannot be achieved without proper storage. Nylon fishing line should not be left in the sun, or indoors at subzero temperatures. It destroys the chemical bond, and the cord breaks almost immediately.
- A second advantage is the ease of. The index positively affects the maximum speed. It makes it possible to mow more and more efficiently.
- Even if during the cutting of grass the product will come across a stone or metal, there will be no serious damage, since the cord is fully resistant to mechanical impact.
- The last advantage that will be decisive for many is the low cost. In addition, the fishing line is sold in many construction stores, so it is easy to find it.
But even in this case there are fakes, for example, when the composition contains additional materials or, even worse, cheap polyethylene. The main disadvantage of this solution is the fast wear and tear, which negatively affects the mowing quality. To avoid getting into such a situation, it is recommended to buy the original models, although the cost will be a bit more expensive.
If one constantly works with vegetation, where there are thick stems, it is better to give preference to cord 2.6-3.3 mm. Most of such products are made of hard graphite or special steel rods. This solution has a favorable effect on the strength and increases the service life of the material. So it doesn’t change that often. However, when working with fishing lines, it is important to follow the safety rules, otherwise you can get injured.
Thin cords are also sold in stores, where metal particles are present. Thanks to this, the strength indicators are increased, which affects the effectiveness of the cut, so a person will be able to clear the area of overgrowth faster.
Top 10 best lines for trimmers: pros and cons, prices, reviews
Grass trimmer. one of the most important and necessary things for every amateur gardener. It helps keep the site looking neat. There are different types of devices on the market, but which one to choose? The article will tell you how to choose the best line for the grass trimmer to quickly and qualitatively cut the grass, its features, proven manufacturers, advantages and disadvantages of their products. Attached to the article is the rating of the best lines for trimmers according to experts and customer reviews.
Top 15 best grass trimmer fishing lines for 2021-2022 rating
|The best grass trimmer lines by price/quality for 2021-2022|
|1||Bosch F016800431 3.5 mm||Find out the price|
|2||DDE Classic line 2 mm 63 m||Check price|
|3||Husqvarna T25 M10 (5784461-01)||Check price|
|Best lines for grass trimmer 2mm|
|1||DDE Hard line 2 mm circle 15 m||Check out the price|
|2||ELITECH 0809.002100 2mm 15m||Learn the price|
|3||Husqvarna Whisper Twist 2 mm 112 m||Ask price|
|Best lines for grass trimmer 2,4mm|
|1||DDE Speed line 2.4 mm 116 m||Check price|
|2||Huter S24 star 2.4 mm 12 m||Check price|
|3||DDE Classic line 2.4 mm 44 m||Find out the price|
|Best grass trimmer lines 3mm|
|1||ELITECH 0809.006200 3 mm 12 m||See price|
|2||Huter S30 Star 3mm 12m||Check price|
|3||DDE Hard line 3 mm 120 m||Learn the price|
|The best lines with core for grass trimmer|
|1||DDE Hard line 2.4mm 180m||Learn the price|
|2||ELITECH 0809.006000 2 mm 15 m||See price|
|3||Sturm! GT3535-3.0-0M-10 3mm 10m||See price|