How to make a potato digger for a passive tiller
- Sheet metal 3-5 mm thick for a share. The stronger the steel, the less often the shovel will need to be sharpened.
- Rebar or steel circle with a diameter of 8-10 cm to create a screening grid.
- Suspension strip or channel for the manufacture of a suspension device
- Corner 30 mm to strengthen the resulting structure.
The ploughshare is made according to the principle of a dovetail cultivator, then it is welded to the back of the rods. To create a rack, a steel strip is used, and the suspension is made from a channel.
The resulting homemade potato digger for tiller is convenient and easy to use.
There are several types of potato diggers:
- Passive devices. Such potato diggers are equipped with a modernized concave shovel. It sinks into the soil 5-10 cm below the occurrence of potato tubers and raises a layer of soil with tubers outward. The soil layer with tubers will be loosened if the angle of inclination was chosen correctly. Before picking potatoes, you will need to peel them by hand.
- Active type potato diggers maximally automate the harvesting process. Such devices are equipped with their own frame. On it are shovels for lifting the earth and screens. devices for screening out the soil using vibration. The shovel lifts a layer of earth with potatoes, which, under the pressure of the next portions of soil, moves to a grate connected to a vibration mechanism. Thanks to the shaking, clods of soil are separated from the tubers and fall through the bars of the grate. Clean tubers accumulate on the net or fall over the sifted soil.
How to make a potato digger for a tiller with your own hands
Mechanization has become a part of our life. Most of the devices for cultivating the land and harvesting, used on collective farms and on farms, are used in a modified form by private traders.
One of these mechanized assistants is the potato digger. Now almost no one digs up potatoes by hand, exhausted from fatigue and back pain. Potato diggers automate the harvesting process, making it easy, fast and enjoyable. We will tell you how to make a potato digger for a tiller with your own hands.
The principle of operation of the potato digger is very simple: the loosening attachment is immersed under the potato tubers and extracts them outside with minimal losses. Potato diggers are installed on a tiller or mini tractor. Most Belarusians make potato diggers for MTZ mini tractors and tillers.
How to make a potato digger with a rattling mechanism
The productivity of a potato digger with a roaring mechanism is about 2-3 times higher, but it is also much more difficult to manufacture it.
- Frame pipe
- Steel sheet 3-4 mm for making a bucket
- Steel reinforcement or circle for lattice
- Front hub from rear wheel drive vehicle.
- Reducer from the rear axle VAZ
- Splined connection from old gearbox
Required tools: welding machine, drill and angle grinder.
The tiller potato digger with a sifting mechanism rests on the ground using a wheel. A gearbox is connected to the wheel. The spline connection drives the share and the roar. To understand the principle of operation, take a look at the illustration.
The peeled tubers accumulate on the net. To unload the harvested tubers, you will have to stop the potato digger. If you set the grate at an angle, the tubers will fall on the loosened ground. You just have to collect them.
Experts who are well versed in technology write in this category and can describe in detail the advantages of this or that equipment:
reviews on motorcycles and scooters;
articles in question-answer mode;
lists of required accessories.
Top 5. Homemade Potato Diggers Aug 23, 11:59 am
We do this on a universal resource that is no less than space. youtube.
The topic of today’s article is far from new, but it still interests you and us. These are potato diggers. Interesting ideas that everyone should learn, and “very interesting ideas” that are best just to look at.
The first hero of our top is Yuri Leskov. He decided to improve the homemade potato digger with a net from the old bed, the creation of which he described in detail in one of the videos on his channel. An old baby stroller was also used, more precisely, its wheels.
Having collected the harvest of potatoes and having thought out the construct of this device, you can immediately lie down on the triumphal pedestal in order to recline in the rays of glory after the work done.
It seems to us that the author of the channel will soon be able to make the so-called “potato remover”. Maybe even a conveyor belt with automatic cleaning, slicing and feeding directly into the pan. Jokes aside, potato peeling is great.
The digger from the next craftsman looks more like the know-how from CERN, where antimatter was recently obtained. The author of the video calls it “drum”. But if you’ve seen the movie “Interstellar”, then the location where the father and daughter met at the end of the movie is very similar to this device.
The digger is driven from the power take-off shaft, there is a chain and belt drive to drive the drum. Gear ratio. 1:16.
The knife at the digger, unfortunately, is inactive, but this did not prevent the author from harvesting.
The next sample of a similar implementation, but more modernized, has an active knife, conveyor drums and even a cleaning drum. Most of the digger is made of scrap metal. But after painting, this digger will look very impressive. The tests helped to identify the places that need to be improved. But, unambiguously, the author of this unit has created an interesting solution. What can you say about this design?
On the Vremya Tekhniki channel, we found an interesting and visually quite simple solution to the problem of digging up the harvest. It will be especially interesting for lovers of minimalism. The device works from the power take-off shaft, digs, cowards, rumbles, in short, everything is as it should be. Even the crops fly in different directions.
This device, of course, is not a spaceship, but on the other hand, it was not planned to launch it into orbit.
This is not the only instance of such a design. We found another very similar model, but slightly more advanced. But on this we did not stop searching, and we came across a modification for a tractor, respectively, of a larger size.
Anatolijs Kosterins. an optimizer from God: the development of such a conveyor process cannot be surprising. The digger contains an active knife, a roar, a cleaning drum, and even a trolley. If you try to create such a miracle, do not forget to take your godfather to the test. As the author recommends, this will definitely add a chance of luck when launching the project. The author proudly named this harvester. “Kuma”!
The next development looks more like a tank or something similar at first glance. But this is a misconception. Despite the fact that it seems that this device is designed to at least extract ore, the mechanism shows itself perfectly in operation.
Evgeny Ignatov tells in detail and shows how to make a homemade potato digger. It is not yet clear how she will prove herself in work, but it looks quite impressive. Most of the process was filmed node-by-node. Since the PTO speed of the tractor is very high, the author plans to compensate for this with an additional chain drive. The video is capacious, informative, with many explanations. Be sure to drop by and appreciate.
The next heroine of our review was collected from scrap metal, but this absolutely does not prevent her from digging two rows at once. Created to work with the T-40 tractor. Confused by the small length of the conveyor, but even with this drawback, the device works.
What do you think? Would you like such a device?
We hope this collection turned out to be fun, interesting and useful. Be sure to go to the channels of our heroes and watch the full videos. And if you do not have the time, desire, opportunity, or all of the above to make such devices in your garage, but you really need a factory-made potato digger, we recommend that you look at the potato digger section on our website to choose a tool to your liking. Have a good harvest!
Transporter potato digger
Another modification is a conveyor potato digger. The conveyor unit is installed on medium and heavy tillers. Its characteristics are similar to a vibration device. The difference lies in the fact that the potatoes are moved and cleared of adhered soil along the conveyor belt, and are not collected on a vibrating table. This type of digger is more practical than a vibratory digger, but its use is advisable only for heavy soils.
The conveyor belt is often made from rods. But the steel mesh is also applicable, there are models with a rubber band on a fabric backing. The movement of the conveyor is carried out when the torque is transmitted from the tiller shaft through a gearbox, chains, gear drives.
The conveyor potato digger does not damage tubers, is easy to operate, and is aggregated with powerful tillers and mini tractors. Industrial designs have the following technical characteristics:
Furrowing Potatoes With Troy Bilt Tiller
- overall dimensions. 1140x740x47 mm;
- weight. 36 kg;
- speed. 2 km / h;
- digging depth. 20 cm;
- coverage. 53 cm.
Independent production of a conveyor potato digger after studying the schemes of the operation of factory machines is possible if the master has experience in carrying out such work. Each craftsman can show his engineering ingenuity and add his own elements to the design solution in order to improve the finished product. The general assembly instruction looks like this:
- welding of a frame of a frame made of a steel square profile and corners;
- making a plowshare knife from thick sheet steel;
- installation of conveyor belt shafts;
- assembly of the conveyor belt;
- installation of brackets and mounts for the gearbox and gear transmission;
- installation of a conveyor belt and mechanisms;
- installation of a share.
Recommendations for choosing a potato digger
When purchasing a potato digger, consider the area of the site and the type of soil. For the processing of large areas, a two-row type potato digger should be preferred. In one pass, such a device forms two rows. Potato diggers are convenient, in which it is possible to install a pulley on both the right and left sides. On hard varieties of soil, device models equipped with an active vibrating knife have proven themselves well.
If you have to harvest on solid ground, you need to choose equipment that is more durable and reliable, designed for serious loads. To improve the quality of harvesting, it is recommended in any case to remove weeds and tops from the field before digging out the potatoes using a tiller equipped with a potato digger.
It is optimal to use a 40 x 40 mm square profile pipe. It is better to take a 4-meter workpiece in rolled metal and divide it into segments of 120 and 80 centimeters. We get four support beams.
Of these, you need to weld a base in the form of a rectangle at a right angle. Its dimensions will be 120 by 80 centimeters.
Pitched board manufacturing
The pitched board is a continuation of the potato digger design, or rather steel rods welded to the base. The easiest way to use reinforcing bars is no more than 10 mm in diameter and up to 120 centimeters long. Every 4-5 centimeters, you need to weld the reinforcement, as shown in the photo.
Fan potato digger
The passive fan potato digger is universal. Simple in design and reliable mechanism has no rotating parts that become unusable under heavy loads. Such a unit is also called a lancet digger or a paw, and industrial models are called a Dolphin.
Among the advantages of fan-type potato diggers, farmers note:
- the ability to aggregate with low-power tillers;
- easy attachment for Tilleri;
- low cost of industrial designs;
- reliability and simplicity of design;
- high-quality work at high speed.
The use of such simple equipment will be advisable in small areas (when working in areas of more than 50 acres, fuel consumption will be large) and crumbly light soil. Among the disadvantages of the fan-type mechanism:
It is possible to reduce the share of manual labor when using a rotary potato digger for motorized cultivators of greater power.
Power tiller operated potato harvester
We make a fan potato digger with our own hands
For work, you will need an angle grinder, a welding machine, a drill and drills for metal, bolts. You will also need materials:
- sheet steel 3-4 mm thick for making a knife (plowshare);
- bolts with a diameter of 10-12 mm or more;
- rectangular steel profile or thick steel sheet for the manufacture of the support-holder and bracket.
- round steel bar or reinforcement (not corrugated) with a diameter of 8-10 mm.
In addition, you will need a measuring tape, a pencil for drawing on metal. The order of work for the manufacture of a fan potato digger:
- In the middle part of the share, two holes are drilled for attaching to the stand.
- Pieces of steel rods are welded to the widened part of the knife (to the left and right of the convex part) (so that they diverge up and to the sides “like a fan”). The length of the rods is 47-50 cm. Sometimes the rods are bent in the form of a marching step.
- A stand-holder is bolted to the plowshare. The height of the rack depends on the tiller design. The holder stand can be welded directly to the plow without using bolts.
- A bracket with pre-drilled holes is welded to the top of the rack (for connecting a potato digger with a tiller).
- For structural strength, the lower part of the share, directed to the ground, is reinforced with a welded strip of metal.
The advantage of the fan potato digger over other units is its reliability. This unit can be used for more than one year. It has no rotating parts that become unusable under heavy loads. Potato digging is carried out quickly and efficiently.
The disadvantages of the unit include the small width of the dug-up strip (20-25 cm), due to which the yield losses reach 20%. The knife of the fan potato digger damages some of the tubers, which makes them unsuitable for long-term storage and sale.
Purpose of the potato digger
A device for digging potatoes is a type of attachment. It is attached to the trailer or fixed with a towing device. The purpose is to speed up the harvest. With the help of a potato digger, it is possible to select tubers on an area of 0.1-0.2 hectares in 1 hour.
In small and medium-sized areas, it is convenient to dig up potatoes with a tiller
Parts are connected with fasteners, electric or gas welding. Bolted connections are preferable because they make it possible to disassemble and reassemble the unit.