How to drill tiles yourself?
Finishing is only half the repair. Repair work ends when all the interior things take their places, and use items will be located on shelves, in cabinets, tables and other storage places. If in order to hang a shelf in the corridor or bedroom there are few questions, then with the bathroom and kitchen, the situation is more complicated. And all due to tiles, which is easily split with an incorrectly selected drilling methodology. Nobody needs such a result, so I will tell you how to drill the tile so that the tile remains whole and did not have to redo everything over again.
First of all, it is important to choose the right drill. If it is selected incorrectly, then the angle of inclination and other tricks for drilling ceramic tiles will be useless. There are several options that are used in different situations.
This is a specialized tool for working with tiles and glass. He easily makes holes without splitting a fragile surface. Suitable for small holes to fix the shelf, mirrors in the bathroom or small decor items. It is also called a spear drill, t.to. The shape of the tip resembles a spear. The cutting edge of such tools quickly becomes unusable, so the spear drilling drills are used to drill 5-6 holes, and then are disposed of.
Lifehack. If you need to drill a large hole in the diameter, and there is only a feather drill in the tools. it is necessary to make many small visions around the circle, and then connect them. It will turn out not as smoothly as when using the crown, but there will be no need to run to the store for an additional tool.
007 Cast Iron Removal
Tubular with diamond spraying (winning drill)
They are of different diameters from 5 mm to 30 mm, so you should choose the option that is needed or to purchase a set immediately. It is permissible to drill glass, mirrors, tiles, porcelain tiles, both directly laid and before the start of laying.
Crowned drill (spraying of carbide and tungsten)
It looks like tubular, but larger diameter. Standard are from 30 to 120 mm. Due to the fact that the drilling area is large so that the crown does not move aside a special design with a centering drill is used. It enters the central point of the circle, holding the direction of drilling the crown.
There are designs without a central drill, but working with them is harder, there is a risk of damage to ceramic tiles in those areas where there should be no defects. The cutting element is the spraying of tungsten. Crings are used to install built.in sockets, switches, lamps, pipe laying.
The design resembles the circus, there is a central drill that is installed at the central point of the circle. The cutting element can be adjusted in length, which allows you to drill holes of different diameters from 20 to 150 mm.
The use of such a device is convenient in that using it it is accessible to make various holes, without the need to buy an additional tool. However, experience with it will be required, since it is subject to beating and vibrations that can shift the drilling point. Also, work can only be carried out at the installation stage, the holes will have to be drunk on both sides of the surface of the tile, they will not be able to do them on the wall.
Chardal attacks on a drill
If you need to drill ceramic tiles, an ordinary drill cannot cope with this without defects. However, special tips from carbide materials, with maximum accuracy, will allow you to make good holes, but it is better to choose special tools for drilling tiles and ceramics, especially beginners.
To summarize, if you need to make small holes, you can use the drill, feathers or tubular (small diameter) drill. They are suitable for dowels or other types of fasteners. If we are talking about the installation of built.in outlets or switches, then you will need a crown or “ballerinka”.
Important ! When installing the drill, remember the rule: “Install. check”. Often not fully fixed drill gives out a huge backlash that damages the surface.
Features for different types of tiles
It should be understood that for floor and wall varieties approaches to drill will be different. This is due to the properties of materials:
- Wall. more fragile and soft, often covered with glaze, a minimum of effort and maximum accuracy is required so that chips do not form on the glossy coating;
- Floor. subject to serious mechanical loads, so it is thicker, durable materials (porcelain tiles, artificial stone, burned clay and others) are used for its manufacture).
Each type of tile will require separate tools. The hardest thing to work with solid materials for the floor. They will need:
In a small.mounted tile, oejeration is permissible to do with feather drills or drill. For large diameter, you can use the “ballerinka”.
What is required to drill ceramic tiles
What. Actually, the essence of the whole problem of collapse of ceramics? Features of the technological process of the production of tiles. high.temperature firing, the high density of the material and its surface strength (especially if there is a glazing layer) have, in addition to obvious advantages, a logical disadvantage. Ceramic products are distinguished by fragility, the absence of any plasticity, and the tile with inaccurate handling, cutting or drilling can easily give crack, chips, or even fall apart into several fragments.
Deplorable result of unsuccessful drilling
In addition, the material in processing itself has a very strong abrasive effect on cutting tools, and ordinary drills will dull in a matter of seconds.
Conclusions. for drilling, you cannot apply excessive load, vibrational action, a large number of revolutions of the tool. And, accordingly, the drill themselves should be made of high.strength materials that can pass a dense structure, and have an appropriate configuration or sharpening.
So, what may be needed for drilling tiles:
How to drill tiles
- If there is an opportunity (there are fragments of an unnecessary tile), then it has the meaning of the SL to start a small training. When everything starts to work out, it will be possible to proceed to the performance of the desired task.
- It is very important to make accurate markup. You can, of course, apply the point of future drilling with a pencil or marker directly to the surface of the tile. However, firstly, by the tile (especially-according to the glazed), not every pencil will leave a trace. Secondly. This mark is very easy to lubricate with an awkward movement. It is optimal to see a very simple way. the opening area is sealed with a piece of ordinary painting tape, and after that you can already mark. everything will be clearly visible.
The positive “influence” of the adhesive tape is not limited to this. Practice shows that it is much easier to start drilling. the sharpened edge of the drill will not slip from the intended point. This is much better than trying to bite the center. When working by Kern (let it be a hardened dowel-gvo or acute supra-films), there is always a chance to damage the surface of the tile or even allow chip (crack).
- High speeds should never be used to drill tiles. Rotation frequency range. from 100 to 400 revolutions per minute. It is difficult to indicate the exact value. it depends on the type of drill. and from its diameter, and from the thickness and material of the manufacture of the tile itself. But in practice, the required frequency is very quickly experimentally.
- It is necessary to make it a rule. if a drill is used. in which the shock function is provided, then it is necessary to check before the start of the work the disconnection of this option.
- If you are not yet drilled, then for work it is necessary to prepare a convenient workplace. The surface should be even, stable, not vibrate. Below should be laid a material that will not become an obstacle to the drill. it can be a tree, plywood or even an unnecessary piece of drywall.
Be sure to check that there are no solid fragments left on the desktop, which will interfere with the tight fit of the tiles to the surface.
- The cutting tool can be very hot during operation, and overheating of the drilling site often leads to cracks in the tile. So, you should not apply excessive efforts. it is better to give a little more time to get a hole. It is fashionable to cool the drill itself, lowering it, for example, into machine oil. Sometimes, when working on horizontal surfaces, they resort to “local cooling”. around the planned center, the holes are pulled out of plasticine, and the resulting “container” is filled with water.
If the hole is drilled on a wall with an already laid tile, then with an oil storage of the drill you need to be extremely careful. drops of oil can fall into the inter.screen grout, and you will have to suffer a lot to get rid of such stains.
Sometimes you have to resort to forced coolant supply. Many professionals have a special tool for these purposes-usually this is a light vessel, in which an excess pressure is created by a manual pump, and a special conductor who centers the drill and ensures the flow of fluid into the drilling area.
- The drill should always be perpendicular to the surface of the tile. if there are no special holding devices, then it will be necessary to constantly monitor this yourself.
- Drilling ceramics (especially when making a large diameter) may be accompanied. Do not forget about it. it is necessary to take measures to protect hands and especially the eye.
Now that the basic concepts are presented, you can proceed to the consideration of the most typical drills of ceramic tiles. small holes, for dowels, and a large diameter. for laying communications and installing plumbing, sockets or switches
Drilling of small diameter holes
A typical situation when you need to hang on the wall any element of furniture, mirror, a hanger for towels, a cabinet or a shelf, another accessory of the bathroom or kitchen. In this case, clogging plastic dowels are usually used with a diameter of up to 12 mm. The situation is considered when the work is carried out on the wall already lined with tiles, the glue under which is completely frozen.
First of all, it is necessary to determine the place of the hole. The fact is that it is desirable that it is located no closer than 15 mm from the edge of the tile. Otherwise, it is very likely that or the drill slides into the seam between the tiles. either the edge from overheating or vibration when drilling is simply das t t rush or even break.
- After marking, it is necessary to insert a drill of the desired diameter into the cartridge. We proceed from the size of dowels preparing for the installation. the hole in the tile should be 1 ÷ 2 mm wider than the diameter of the diameter of the dowel plug.
- The drill is installed in the intended center (adhesive tape should not give the tip to slip), and then drilling at low speeds begins. The most difficult thing is to go through the upper layer of the tile. then the drilling will go “more fun”.
- As soon as the thickness of the tile is passed, and the drill reached the wall, it is taken out. it makes no sense to stupid the expensive tool. A conventional wall for peooring walls, with a diameter, is exactly the appropriate dowel size.
- The drill should freely go through the hole in the tile, and then you can continue drilling in the wall itself to the required depth. Of course, this is done very carefully so that a random distortion does not damage the edges of the hole in the tile, since a long drill can have a small “beating”.
- Then it remains only to put the dowel in the made hole and carefully score it. Remember, an awkward movement can destroy all the work done. from a random blow to the top, tiles can crack.
- After that, nothing should prevent you from screwing the hook, self.tapping screw, other fastening.
Drilling holes of large diameter
The holes of large diameter (from 20 mm and above) are most often drilled in the tile even before laying it on the walls or floor. Thorough marking with the determination of the centers is carried out, and the tile is laid on the working workbench.
Here, the drilling technology may vary slightly. it largely depends on the type of drill used.
Used in the bathroom
If the mounted equipment is massive or large, then the holes for it will require wide. In this case, the following drilling methods are used:
A hole for the mirror and shelves
To drill grooves with a diameter of about 10 mm, only narrow working nozzles are used. over, they can vary significantly in design.
When carrying out such works will be needed:
- Household or professional construction drill;
- At least the easiest oral tool;
- Portable means for screwing screws with a variable cartridge speed.
Drilling of small diameter holes
Holes with a diameter of up to 12 mm are made with spear.shaped and tubular drills. In their absence, you can use a drill or a drill that has a tip from a winning alloy.
A drill or drill with a winner tip
Drill with tips from hard alloys (VK4, VK6, VK8, etc.) Designed for drilling homogeneous materials with high compression strength: concrete, brick, etc. According to the configuration, they are little suitable for drilling tiles, so you need to follow a number of rules:
- use only new drill and drill;
- monitor the temperature of the drilling tool during operation;
- center the tip with the help of a portable conductor or bar with a hole of the desired size;
- Do not use winning porcelain border.
In the absence of a conductor, the brown squabbles slide into the seam between facing elements.
Smile.shaped drills with carbide tips are designed specifically for tiles. They have a cut-up with 2 or 4 blades and a shank with 4 or 6 faces. A two.lobed drill can be sharpened at home.
For centering the drill, it is not necessary to damage the glaze of the tile: it is enough to slightly hit the back of the drill or electric screwdriver installed perpendicular to the surface. A spear.shaped tip is not suitable for drilling brick and concrete, so after passing the tile it must be replaced with a winning drill.
Tubular drills are made of durable metal with diamond coating on the work surface. Depending on the form, they are divided into:
- classic. tubes with opening for removing crumbs and dust from the working area;
- sector. with a tip, which has a cut sector with an angle of 30 degrees.
Tubular drills are suitable for working with tiles and porcelain tiles. When preparing the surface, it is necessary to outline not the point of application of the tip, but the hole in life.
At the beginning of the work, the tube is installed at an angle of 45 degrees, and as it is drilled, it is sent perpendicular. After overcoming a layer of ceramics, the tubular drill changes to a drill for concrete or brick.
Drilling holes of large diameter
To obtain a hole of large diameter, you can use an angular grinding machine with an abrasive disk, a multifunctional tool (renovator), an engraver and a special crown for a tile.
In the absence of special equipment, the opening can be drilled around the perimeter, cut out with a hacksaw or circular tile cutters.
Corner grinder with diamond disk
The hole for the sewer pipe can be cut using a diameter of 115 mm with a diameter. Grinding corner grinders (angular grinder) is performed on the front side of the tile, the working surface of the disk is located at 45 degrees.
Instead of deepening, you can use the technique of direct cut. In the marked opening, 2 cuts are performed, and then a square is cut into them, inscribed in a circle of the desired size. The remnants of ceramics are removed with bitter-beggings.
The engraver allows you to get accurate and clean holes of any diameter. To obtain large holes, a milling cutter is suitable.
Crings are the main device for obtaining large holes in ceramics and porcelain tiles. The working edge is covered with abrasive material. tungsten carbide or diamond crumb. Inside the crown can be a central drill that fixes the nozzle relative to the surface.
Hacksaw is used in combination with a thin drill. The saw canvas is started in a small hole made by carbide. This method allows you to cut the openings of a complex configuration, but requires an accurate following the contour and large time spent.
To cut it, you will need a string with diamond spraying. Metal canvases are too plastic for cutting ceramics.
Manual “ballerinka” is a tool with two sprouts, which acts on the principle of circul. The central part is firmly fixed on the surface of the tile, and the side is moved to the length of the radius and moves in a circle. Such a device is often supplied with a tile cutter.
Ballerinka drill has 2 peripheral seats and 1 central, for fixing on the surface. Recommended drill operating mode. no more than 500 revolutions per minute.
Unlike drilling tools, the renovator acts due to the oscillation, not rotation. The appliance spindle deviates from the central axis by 3-4 degrees, which allows you to effectively mill the cladding, but to avoid the destruction of fragile materials.
For work on porcelain tiles and tiles, drills are suitable, nozzles in the form of a flat hammer with diamond spraying and saw discs.
Budget renovators are suitable only for single use: for example, drilling 3-4 holes for sockets or pipes. With prolonged work, the nozzles are quickly blunt, so you should buy a diamond crown.
Drilling around the perimeter
In the absence of angular grinding, tile cutter and renovator, you can use a spear.shaped or tubular drill. The contour of the future hole is applied to the surface of the glaze, along which small holes are drilled. They must be located close to each other and touch the marking only by tangent. If you set the tip on the contour itself, then the resulting opening will be larger diameter than necessary.
After drilling around the perimeter, the middle is removed, and large irregularities are cooked with ticks and polished by sandpaper.
What drills are suitable for drilling tiles?
It is possible to perform drilling correctly only in the case of a competent collection of the tool. For drilling tiles, standard screwdrivers or drills that function from the mains are most often used.
Drill for tiles
note! Peorators are not recommended for such work, since they have too much power and exert strong pressure on the tiles. If everything is quite simple with the tool, then when choosing drills you need to be very careful.
There is a rule that allows you to simplify the choice of drill. The edge of the nozzle must be more firmly than the surface of the tile. Focusing on this rule, the circle of suitable tips taps up to three positions. Consider them in more detail:
The nozzle, on the surface of which is applied diamond spraying, is the most effective. However, it has one significant minus. high cost. The acquisition of a diamond tip to organize several holes is not an appropriate solution.
A drill that has a winning tip also copes quite efficiently with the tasks set before it. The price of such bars is much lower, which makes them more affordable for a wide audience of consumers. Using a winning drill allows you to get even, neat holes.
And finally, specialized products can be used to organize holes in the tile. They are cheap and affordable, and also suitable for standard screwdrivers. But in some cases they can lead to damage to the surface of the tile.
A simple way to avoid a split in tiles when drilling
Consider a simple method with which you can perform holes in the tile without violating its integrity. So that the tile does not burst while drilling, many experienced craftsmen advise to first soak it into water tanks.
After that, the tile must be put on a wooden surface (the front part upwards). Then the tiles are wiped with a cloth and the tape or tape is glued to its surface. This solution allows us to exclude the likelihood of sliding a metal tip during drilling.
The drill must be placed in such a way that it is at an angle of 90 degrees with respect to the surface of the tile. If all the recommendations were made correctly, then you can proceed to drill the hole. You need to start work at low speeds. The work is carried out by a drill or electric screwdriver. After the tip enters the tile, you can slightly increase the speed of work.
If the tile is already installed on the wall, then this operation is carried out somewhat different. You also need to stick tape on the tile, but when drilling, the hole must be periodically moistened with water. It is not recommended to make holes too close to the edges of the facing product. The minimum recommended distance to the edges is 1.5 cm.
note! If the hole must be deepened, then it is recommended to change the nozzle on the working tool. To drill concrete, it is worth using specialized tips. The diameter of such a drill should be lower than a similar indicator of the hole in the tile, otherwise the tile will crack.
At the end of the work, it is necessary to install a plastic dowel in the hole. The remaining holes are performed according to the same methodology. If the work was done correctly, then the fasteners for shelves (or any other furniture) will be reliably held on the wall.
Sprinkling small holes
Often for fastening shelves, hooks or cabinets in the kitchen, you need to score plastic dowels with a cross.section of up to 1.2 cm.
Consider the steps on the drilling wall lined with tiles:
- A place is set under the hole. It should be from the end of the tile in the interval to 1.5 cm. Otherwise, the drill can jump into the tile seam.
- Marking is made, a drill corresponding to the size of the dowel is put into the drill cartridge. The hole itself should turn out a little wider than D-plugs for 1-2 mm.
- The drill rushes into the drawn center. It is important to drill at small speeds. The most difficult thing is to go through the upper layer of the tile, it will go deeper easier.
- Next, there is a change of drill to the model familiar to the walls. Its cross section should be suitable for d-dowels. Drilling to the planned depth will go smoothly when the drill passes freely through the hole made in the tile.
- The dowel is invested in the hole made and carefully clogged.
- At this stage, a self.tapping screw, hook or other type of fastener is twisted.
Drilling large holes
Such a scrupulous procedure is done according to further requirements:
- The center of the hole is noted, the crown of the right d- to the drill is inserted.
- The drill is placed in the middle and the start of drilling at low speeds.
- After passing the enamel ball, the speed of rotation increases, and after passing the entire tile. drilling stops.
- The peorator is used here. It is worth carrying out all the actions carefully.
To create a huge hole. drilling a crown seems to be a very effective, but also the most expensive method. When drilling tiles due to the crown, it must be cooled all the time with water, since the device is very soon overheated.
The effectiveness of this method lies in the diamond coating on the crown, contributing to the speed drilling. An inexpensive crown model is also practiced- a drill with a solid alloy capable of reaching D-15 cm.
How to drill tiles correctly
First, it is necessary to drill holes with a smaller diameter drill. Then we drill with the help of a crown.
In the process of drilling, so that the drill and the crown do not overheat it, you can periodically cool them. water them with water.
After the holes drilled with a crown, try on the tile in the place. If everything is fine, we glue it on the tile glue.
You can watch in detail about the marking and drilling ceramic tiles on the video below.
Selection of the drill
Subtleties of work with cast iron
To achieve the desired result when working with cast iron, you should pay attention to the following subtleties:
- Load control for a drill or machine. Cast iron products are produced by casting, may have voids. In 90 % of cases, when it enters the void, the drill breaks, which increases the risk of injury when performing work.
- Prevention of overheating of the brown.haired man. In the process of drilling, it is necessary to take breaks to prevent softening of the metal, extend the life of the drill.
- Effective use of diamond drill for glass and tiles.
DIY Cast iron bathtub
Before starting actions, it is necessary to make sure that the hole is performed on a cast.iron surface.
Often the owner of the bath does not know what material the bowl is made of.
Before taking up the drill, it should be noted to deepen. The mark should be small in diameter.
The process of drilling the hole should be neat: the enamel on the product is fragile, subject to damage.
In order not to spoil the surface, you should keep the drill at one angle in the process of drilling and when raising it.
The work can use a perfectly sharpened drill for metal products.
The final stage of work
When the holes are ready, you will need to use a grinding machine: with its help you can smooth out the corners, get rid of sharp burrs.
At the end of the actions, a sealant is applied to the edge of the bowl that prevents the formation of rust from prolonged contact with water.
How else can you drill tiles
There is another technique with which you can make a large hole in a tile that has not yet been glued to the wall. For this, as mentioned earlier, ceramics are immersed in a basin with water. After a while they take out and wipe. Mark the diameter of the right circle on the tile (draw a circle). Holes are drilled around the perimeter, so that the center of the circle can be broken off. Therefore, the holes must be drilled close to each other. The resulting hole in the tile is ready, you can insert it into the pipe. The edges are uneven, they process them with a file.
The order of drilling small openings around the circle
The method is applicable if there is no ballerina or cutter at hand.
Small tricks of tile drilling
Like any business, drilling has its tricks and secrets, the knowledge of which will help to facilitate the task and do the work efficiently:
- Do not make holes close to the edge of the tile, this is fraught with its split;
- If there are no special drills, you can use ordinary metal. In this case, you can drill only at low speeds;
- If the drilled hole for the dowel turned out to be a large radius, you can insert an ordinary wooden chopic into it;
- In order for the drilling from drilling less, you need to put the scoop directly to the place of the workflow. Reading the screen for the bath read the link.
Using a knife.haired woman and strings for cutting tiles
The use of tile glass cutter and ticks for the hole in the tile
The foreman and the organizer of absolutely all processes related to repair work. I have been repairing for more than 20 years and I am an expert in this area. When writing an article, he tried to make it as useful and understandable to every person.
How To Bathroom Water tap and shower making with Amazing Skill