Having read on the Internet tips on how to properly run a chainsaw, many begin to spoil their device, significantly reducing its service life.
Fortunately for the owners and especially those who give bad advice. the damage received during improper running is not immediately noticeable, since it is very difficult to spoil the new device at the same time. Therefore, everything seems fine in appearance, and breakdowns and repairs will be later, everyone will write off for marriage, bad gasoline or manufacturer flaws. Do not repeat the mistakes of others! However, first things first.
Initially, the idea underlying the need for this process seems logical and correct: it is needed so that the surfaces of parts moving relative to each other are rubbed against each other. As a result:
- Power increases;
- Improved lubrication of parts;
- Wear is reduced;
- Noise is reduced;
- Reduces heating and, as a consequence, the risk of losing the strength properties of the surface and the geometry of the structure.
Indeed, if you make an excursion to a typical machine-building enterprise, you can make sure that the manufacturing processes of, say, pistons and cylinders are not so perfect. There are always roughness that just needs to be rubbed. But the trouble is that at this moment there are a lot of advisers who begin to advise what.
How to break in a chainsaw. the main threats
What, in fact, are the problems of many tips. Let’s figure it out in order.
There are other options for advice. Do not list everything.
There can be only one answer: only as written in the operating instructions supplied with the saw. And there may be two options:
- The manufacturer is not sure about the quality of its products and recommends a special mode of its operation in the first hours of operation. This is a normal situation for the technologically poor industries and therefore it is better to thoroughly implement what is recommended.
- The instructions do not say a word about how to produce it.
Video: How to Break in the New Stihl 180
What does an old-school man do by carefully reading the instructions and not finding anything about how to turn on the engine? That’s right, he goes to the forums and crawls on the Internet, where he expects to find wise advice from specialists. And there is already ready-made instructions on how to drive off a tank of other fuel at idle.
How is this possible?
If the manufacturer “forgot” to indicate in the manual information about the initial running-in, then several reasons may be “fault” for this:
- He has a fairly good technological base, which allows high-quality manufacturing of the surfaces of cylinders and liners.
- The degree of hardness and the ability to withstand the wear of surfaces of moving parts is such that no “run-in” in the home using artisanal methods is capable of changing anything. But to add a deposit to the exhaust system. completely.
- Soon, a century soon, the concept of "selective assembly" exists. When the tolerances of the parts are selected to each other in such a way as to ensure the highest fit class, even using not infinitely accurate and expensive equipment. Friction surfaces in an internal combustion engine are the most critical component. Higher demands are usually made on him, so everything is there from the beginning exactly.
In addition, this does not mean that such an operation is absent in production. It is known for certain that some manufacturers produce “cold” break-in. without engine operation, in a special lubrication environment. But this has nothing to do with the consumer.
Run-in Chinese chainsaws
Many users will object. well, well, when it comes to brands: Stihl, Echo, etc. can afford to have high-quality production processes. And what about the cheap Chinese? The answer is yes, their surface finish may not be at the highest level. Although it should be borne in mind that the same Styles are also made in China, which does not make them worse. But often, the usual modes of operation without elevated moments (without the tire jamming in the trunk, which should be avoided at any other moment) do more good than “enriching the fuel mixture” or, God forbid, idling.
Running tires and chains
The title is placed in the text only because many people are looking for this too. For those who came to the site on this request, we inform you: there is no need for lapping the bus and chain. Just because it is impossible: there is no sustained contact. The main guarantee of long work without tension is sufficient lubricity of the chain. It is achieved by adjusting a special screw on the saws on which it is provided.
Exception to the rule
An exception to the rule may be running in during the repair of the saw. When replacing pistons, rings and other moving parts, the repair technician must decide on the need for such a procedure. This need may be due to the fact that parts are used that have never before worked with each other, with different surface cleanliness and, moreover, those parts that were usually carried out at the factory during initial assembly were not carried out when replacing parts.
However, in this case, too, a competent specialist will not leave the saw idling. It is good practice to rotate the rotor using an external device with the obligatory presence of oil.