How to Properly Put a Disc on the Lawnmower
With the advent of summer, many owners of homestead plots are concerned about how to put a knife on the trimmer for grass. vital are the issues, why and when purposefully substitute the line for the trimmer trimmer brushcutter stronger cutting element. In our article we will try to disassemble it and give useful tips for gardeners.
A grass trimmer with a blade mounted on it is best used for more comfortable mowing tall and coarse grass in the countryside. Line for the trimmer on the brushcutter in this variant does not match. The narrow one tears in a short time. Introduction of a thick 4.5.3 mm cord or homemade rope ropes force vegetation to screw on the bobbin. This increases the load on the engine. For this reason in a short time to wear out the piston group and other moving parts of the unit.
If the mowing of weeds to create an electronic trimmer without a knife, a single line, even if thick with a figured section, the problem is not solved. There is always a risk of overheating the electric motor and causing damage to the flexible shaft. And the big torque of the electronic motor. Grass wound on the spindle makes a strong resistance to the shaft, reminiscent of a speedometer cable, which can not withstand and twists.
In order to save technique from early wear and tear domestic manufacturers have provided the ability to install on trimmers for grass special knives. Design and shape of available cutting parts allow for problem-free handling not only with coarsened and overgrown grass, but also to bat successfully with young shrubbery undergrowth.
Before installing a brushcutter knife on a brushcutter, let’s find out what kind of blades there are and where they are used. Now domestic manufacturers offer the consumer many types of these consumables. Completely all cutting tools designed for mowing grass, of course, systematize:
Blades for brushcutters and their application (blades for brushcutters)
The main material for the production of trimmer blades you like plastic or metal. Implementation of such expendable parts in almost everything is dependent on the 2. x characteristics:
For safety reasons, the manufacturer of the domestic is not advised to put on the electronic grass trimmers blades of iron. All trimmers working from the electronic network and battery battery are equipped with blades of plastic. Depending on the manufacturer, they will be of solid disc shape, with several blades, or in the form of a special mowing head with removable plastic blades.
A straight bar in a gasoline grass trimmer and a curved one in an electronic trimmer
To put an iron blade on the electronic grass trimmer does not allow its design features.
- the curved boom of the device reduces the distance between the working part of the device and the mower’s legs. For which the design is intended collision blades with a rock or other hard object grass trimmer trimmer throws to your feet.
- The highest torque that we mentioned above, for which the design of the iron blade collision with a rigid object is designed, transmits a huge load to the flexible shaft of the grass trimmer and its engine. Which causes their early breakage.
- Handle of an electric mower in most cases does not have a limiting strip that acts as a stop. Which does not rule out injury to the legs.
These features use only plastic blades on trimmers with electronic motors. When hitting an obstacle, the blades collapse, thus protecting the mower’s legs from possible injuries.
Plastic blades are good for overgrown and dry grass. They can mow nettles and burdock trunks.
Only petrol trimmers use iron blades justified by design features.
- Flat boom design increases distance to the legs, which provides full safety to the mower.
- Comfortable U and J handles allow you to hold the tool firmly. The D-handles of the brushcutter are equipped with a limiter that rests against the mower’s leg, which prevents the head from coming into contact with a hard obstacle when the cutting blade encounters.
- The clutch of the internal combustion engine enables smooth acceleration to a rational level. And when the blade hits a hard surface it can absorb some of the impact.
Thus, gasoline grass trimmers with installed iron blade is ideal for use on large areas. They successfully manage not only the highest coarsened grass, weeds, burdocks and nettles, but also bushes and young trees.
The blade shape of the blade supplied to the grass trimmer does not affect the quality of work performed. Their condition does not affect their speed either. Triangular, trapezoidal, rectangular forms is our customer is a pre-sale preparation of the manufacturers.
If you intend to make hay, it is best to put on a brushcutter blades with a huge number of blades. Carefully examine the discs with eight teeth, or else discs with four big blades and four extra ones. The 2 or 3 blade blades are very effective for shredding grass.
Put a blade on the grass trimmer is not so difficult. The manufacturer equips his tools with a special pin to lock the gearbox and a wrench to unscrew the bobbin with fishing line. The main thing is to follow the safety rules and the sequence of disassembly when changing cutting parts.
What blades to put on the electric and lawnmower
Before you buy and install the knife on the brushcutter, let’s find out what they are and when they are used. Today manufacturers offer the consumer a large number of types of these consumables. In general, all cutting tools intended for mowing the grass can be classified:
The main material for trimmer blades can be plastic or metal. The use of such expendable elements depends to a large extent on two parameters:
For safety reasons, manufacturers do not recommend putting steel blades on electric grass trimmers. Virtually all cordless and cordless brushcutters with electric current are equipped with plastic blades. Depending on the manufacturer, they can be of solid disc shape, with several blades, or in the form of a special mowing head that provides for installation of removable plastic blades.
Straight boom for gasoline grass trimmers and curved boom for electric trimmers
Place a metal blade on the electric trimmer for grass does not allow its design features.
- Curved boom reduces the distance from the working part of the machine to the hedge trimmer’s legs. In the event of a collision between the blades and a rock or other hard object, the grasshopper will bounce back to your feet.
- The high torque mentioned above is transmitted to the flexible shaft of the grass trimmer and its motor in the event of a collision between the metal blade and a solid object. Which causes their premature failure.
- The handle of an electric brushcutter most often does not have a stop bar. That does not prevent feet injuries.
exactly these features make it possible to use only plastic blades on trimmers with electric motors. blades colliding with an obstacle destroy, thus protecting the mower’s legs from possible injuries.
Plastic blades are good for overgrown and dry grass. Nettles and burdock stems can be mowed.
The use of metal blades only on gasoline trimmers is also conditioned by design features.
- Straight boom design provides more legroom for the operator and ensures complete safety.
- Convenient U-shaped and J-shaped handles allow you to hold the tool firmly. D-shaped handles of brushcutters are equipped with a limiter that rests against the leg of the mower, which prevents the head to the feet when the cutting disc encounters a solid obstacle.
- The clutch on the petrol engine allows the engine speed to be increased gently to the optimum level. And if the blade hits a hard surface, it can absorb some of the shock.
So gasoline grass trimmers with metal blade attachment are best used on larger areas. They can successfully cope not only with high, rough grass, weeds, burdocks and nettles, but also bushes and young trees.
The blade shape of the blade placed on the grass trimmer does not affect the quality of work performed. They also do not affect speed. Triangular, trapezoidal, rectangular shapes are a marketing ploy by the manufacturers.
If you plan to make hay, it is best to put a knife with more blades on the brushcutter. Pay attention to discs with eight teeth or discs with four large blades and four additional. The two and three blades of blades will shred the grass very hard.
How to correctly place the blade on the trimmer for grass
Putting a blade on the grass trimmer is not that difficult. The manufacturer equips his tools with a special pin to lock the gearbox and a wrench that unscrews the bobbin with the line. The most important thing is to observe safety precautions and the sequence of disassembly when changing cutting elements.
The algorithm for installing a knife on the grass trimmer is as follows:
- Let’s remove the protective cover;
- Locking the drive. To do this, you need to align the two holes. in the hub of the shaft and in the gear cup. After their alignment, we insert a pin into the holes;
- We unscrew clockwise from the hub of the bobbin with a line or an attachment nut that holds the dust cover (if the grass trimmer has not yet been used);
- Next, install the cutting blade, so that the slits on the hub washer coincide with the notches in the hole of the cutting blade;
- Install the dust cap;
- Tighten the fastening nut (counterclockwise) while retaining the locking pin;
- Tighten it with a pipe wrench;
- Reinstall the blade guard.
As you can see, there is nothing complicated. Now you can safely proceed to cut the weeds on the plot.
Install the diamond disc
This operation does not differ in appearance from the fixing of a typical disk, except that more attention, accuracy and careful control is required.Remove the spool of fishing line by blocking the reducer shaft with a special pin or a screwdriver of a suitable diameter, turning the spool of fishing line counter-clockwise.
We try on the diamond disc on the lower slot washer and make sure that its seating hole is larger than the diameter of the seating ring on the washer. At high revolutions the saw blade can displace, there will be imbalance, which will inevitably lead to a breakdown of the tool and even injure the operator or people nearby.
We try on compensating washers one by one and choose the one that fits in width and fully selects the gap between the saw blade seating and the centering shoulder of the bottom washer.
Install in turn on the gear shaft lower washer with an expansion ring, diamond disc, upper washer and protective cup, which also partially redistributes the clamping force over a larger area.
Tighten the complete set on the gearbox shaft using the left-hand threaded nut. first by hand, then with a socket wrench. locking the gearbox shaft with a suitable screwdriver from below.
Remove the protective cut plastic tube from the teeth and check once again that the sawblade is firmly fixed on the gearbox shaft. If it turned out to be reliable, the grass trimmer, with the diamond disc installed, is completely ready, both for traditional and not intended for this tool, work.
Putting it to the test
For safety you need to wear a helmet with a clear face shield and gloves to protect your hands.
At first we try to remove thinnest dry branches, then gradually moving to larger ones, and finish the test by sawing off dry and semi-dry tree trunks 7-8 cm in diameter.
You can be sure that the diamond disc grass trimmer works very effectively, reliably and safely. Both cross and diagonal cuts are very smooth. They do not show any crumpled or torn wood fibers.
Grass cutting with diamond disc is also quite comfortable, efficient and productive regardless of its height, density and degree of dryness. So, the grass trimmer with a circular saw blade not only perfectly performs its direct function (mowing the grass), but also expands the field of application (removing knots and branches from trees, and sawing down thick trunks).Attention! Do not get carried away with the installation of large diameter and thickness saw blades on the grass trimmer, as this will cause an increase in stress on the gearbox and motor, and possible premature failure. This also reduces the safety of working with such a tool, which should not be allowed under any circumstances.
Installing the blade on the grass trimmer
Before you change the blade on your trimmer, you’ll need to unplug it. If it is a brushcutter, switch off the engine.
- If you have not used the grass trimmer before. Fix a hexagon wrench (or a rod of suitable diameter. it can also be an ordinary nail) in the hole in the gearbox. This is to prevent the shaft from spinning. Unscrew the securing nut and remove the gearbox housing from the shaft.
- If a mowing head is installed. As in the first paragraph of this manual, install the blade of the grass trimmer.1. Insert the wrench in the gearbox hole. Hold the wrench and unscrew the mowing head.
- Install the washer on the hub and then the blade. Make sure the lugs match the recesses. Then the blade will be properly centered.
- Put a thrust washer and gearbox cup on top of the knife.
- Install the fastening nut on the shaft and tighten it counterclockwise. For this you will need a pipe socket wrench.
- Note. so that the nut is not unscrewed during operation, most gasoline trimmers have a stud, which is inserted into the hole in the shaft.
Installing the blade on the grass trimmer. video
Here is a video on how to change the blade on your STIHL petrol trimmer. Recall that the installation steps may vary slightly depending on the model. Therefore, do not forget to look at the instructions!
If the disc on the trimmer is used regularly, it needs to be removed from time to time and sharpened or replaced with a new one. This part can be made of metal or plastic, have a different number of blades, but the replacement process remains the same. over, this procedure is similar for equipment from different manufacturers, whether Carver or Huter, but there may be minor differences. Changing the blade on the trimmer is easy enough if you follow the safety precautions and know the correct procedure, a description of which can be found in the user manual. The whole process of replacement step by step, as well as the way of sharpening knives by yourself, will be described in this material.
Never store gasoline in plastic water containers. When mixing the fuel mixture, a static charge is built up and you can “catch” a spark.
That’s why gas stations do not allow you to fill up gasoline in plastic cans, only in metal cans. Before filling the canister with gasoline it is better to put it on the ground to get rid of static electricity.
But there are situations when the simple manipulation with the brushcutter does not help. The engine still does not start. In this case we check the feeding and ignition systems, following the rule “the engine does not work if there is nothing to burn or nothing to ignite”.
The chain saw likes cleanliness. It is necessary to monitor the cleanliness of the air filter and fuel. It is better to leave gasoline, bought at the gas station, for 2 days and pass it through a simple filter. a piece of baize cloth.
We check the electrical equipment as follows:
Unscrew the spark plug, examine the gap between the electrodes. Set the right gap between the electrodes can be “grandfather’s” way. Take a razor blade, break it in half and insert a homemade dipstick between the electrodes. If the blades enter tightly, the gap is perfect.
Put the cap of the high-voltage wire on the spark plug and lean the spark plug against the metal surface of the engine. Yank the starter a few times. If the spark is well struck to one point, the gap is adjusted correctly. If not. the spark is weak or “wandering”, the electrode gap should be readjusted.
Blades and blades for brushcutters and trimmers
Trimmer blade. an alternative to a mowing head with a fishing line, this useful accessory helps to cut through thick weeds and get rid of small bushes. Thanks to the small device, the owner will be able to solve more complex tasks than just trim the edges of the lawn.
The online store offers a wide range of gardening equipment, everyone can choose the most suitable model. The difference is not only the ability to deal with different vegetation. Ukrainian gardeners choose the nozzle by size of diameter, number and shape of teeth. A larger diameter makes it more productive, but it must be matched to the engine power. The maximum size is 330 mm. The cutting attachment does not wear down and has a wider working envelope.
The brushcutter disc also has a different number of teeth in the form of several blades with equal spacing between them. 3-toothed version is suitable for heavy works, thinning thick bushes of thick stems. If one side blunts, the blade is repositioned and the operator continues to work with the other side. The 8-toothed model is used when haying tall grass, as it does not shred the stems. It is worth buying this accessory if you want to mow dense grass on level ground. The multi-toothed blade fits even low-powered machines and cuts through vegetation up to 20 mm thick without any loss in speed.
The disc for the lawnmower can be detachable or be part of a complete unit. Separate blade replacement is also possible. It is possible to adjust the blades separately, at different angles to adapt to different densities of vegetation.Improperly sharpened teeth reduce performance and increase fuel consumption on motorized machines. A conventional sharpening angle of 30 degrees is possible.
The inside setting depends on the model of the grasshopper, but a perfect fit is essential for a good fit.Cutting quality is influenced by the thickness of the blades. The thinner the blade, the more even and accurate the cut. Of the disadvantages, it should be noted that the blade dulls quickly, you have to sharpen the tooling more often. Thick blades are used for getting rid of thick branches, burdock thickets.
Plastic circles on the trimmer for grass. when used
While metal milling and paddle discs are used on gasoline trimmers, plastic discs are recommended for electric tools. Their main advantage is their low weight, so the load on the electric motor is completely eliminated. Structurally, the head is a plastic base, on which the perimeter are mounted knives. These knives are made of soft plastic, which does not deform when contacting with an obstacle. The blades are mounted on a circular base at an angle of 120 degrees.
They are designed for mowing dense grass with electric trimmers, when trimmer line fails. If the nozzle has a large moment of inertia, it can be reduced by making symmetrical holes. When blunt teeth, they need to be sharpened at an angle of 30 degrees, using a grinding wheel with low or medium roughness.
|Milled peoriated with 40 teeth||For clean cuts in lawns and tall grass. Excellent for mowing grass in fields and forest belts||Eliminates winding on discs and low gearbox loads. Highly effective for large quantities of grass|
|Cutter bar with more than 40 tines (60-80)||For small trees with a stem thickness of 7-8 cm||Suitable for mowing grass with small growing trees|
|Solid with 8 to 32 tines||Cutting of thin and stiff bushes in raspberry, currant bushes. Cope with grass effectively, but only with high-powered machines||Effectively cuts small shrub stems. Pressure on gearbox|
|Blade with one, two or three knives||Stiff grass, thistles||Breaks up the grass several times, shredding it, which increases the load on the gearbox|
|A blade with 4 or more blades||For grass and hard mowing, you can use it for making hay||Has a low moment of inertia|
|Plastic discs||For small and dense grass in your home garden||Does not stress the electric motors of trimmers|
Grinding the trimmer discs correctly. what you need to know about it
Lawn mower with metal cutting blades dulled while in use. It is a normal phenomenon, but such an attachment must not be used any longer. Blunt blades have low performance, so in addition to unsatisfactory mowing results, you will also get overheating of the tool motor and wear of the gearbox. If blades or teeth of the circular blade of trimmer are blunt, it is necessary to sharpen them. Some people prefer to buy new blades, which is not rational at all.
This is interesting!All types of cutting blades need to be sharpened, including those with pobedite tips. To sharpen a wheel with a pobedite tip, you need a special diamond wheel. What is the process of sharpening a disc with a bit of Pobedite on the teeth is described in detail in this material. A step-by-step description of how to sharpen the disc of the grass trimmer:
- First remove the cutting element from the tool. It is not safe to grind on the tool
- Inspect the element for professional suitability. Cracks, chips and other deformations are not allowed. If there are any, it is necessary to perform the replacement of the device
- Use tools and materials such as a sharpener, file, angle grinder to sharpen the disc. What is the best choice depends on the skill of the operator. The easiest and safest way is to use a file. To do this, the cutting tool is clamped in the vice jaws, and the sharpening process is performed manually at an angle of 30 degrees
- If you use a grinder (emery) or angle grinder, then in such a case you will need to carefully perform sharpening. When sharpening, the metal must not be allowed to redden (metal tempering will occur), otherwise this will lead to rapid wear and abrasion of the cutting part
- The optimal option, which is recommended for beginners (it is also used by masters with experience) is to use a file. The file can be used to sharpen the cutting edge as well as possible and accurately at an angle, which will have a positive effect on the performance of the tool
- If you need to sharpen a milling disc with many teeth, it is recommended to use an angle grinder with a fine abrasive wheel
The video below shows how to properly sharpen milling disks with a large number of teeth.
After sharpening the grass trimmer disc, it remains to install it in place, and check the effectiveness of the tool. After sharpening, keep in mind that it is better not to grasp the sharp parts, as you can be injured.
To summarize, the correct trimmer disc will determine how well you cut the grass. For mowing the grass on the roadsides and paths, the line for the trimmer is used, but for fighting weeds in the country, as well as for the purpose of making hay in the fields and in wooded areas, lawn mowers with metal discs are used. If budget allows, it is recommended to buy 3 types of metal discs and try them out for yourself to see the difference.