How to make an outer corner
Just as the mowing line was outlined for trimming the inner corners, the outer corners must be done. Attach the planks to the wall at the protruding corner. On the ceiling, mark a line along the length of one baguette, then a line along the other. You will get the intersection point, which should be marked on the upper parts of the skirting board. Draw the line from it to the lower edge of the workpiece (make two sides in this way).
Then work with the marked lines of the outer corner of the baguette as follows:
- Place the workpiece in the tray, pressing firmly against the front wall of the machine and holding it with your hand during operation.
- Set the cutting tool at 45 degrees to the workpiece and carefully cut off the corner.
- Install the counter plinth in the same way, pressing it against the front wall of the device.
- Cut at 45 degrees, but in such a way that the angle is directly opposite to the already cut.
After all the corners have been cut off, it is required to dock the fillets together, checking for defects in the work. If there are any, remove them by carefully cutting with a knife. As for wooden curbs, the irregularities on them must be removed with a file..
How to cut the correct corner of the ceiling plinth with your own hands
You only need to cut the corners on the baguettes at an angle of forty-five degrees, which will help to combine both the outer and inner parts of the material. This can be done both through a slotted tray or in its absence by applying the necessary markings on the ceiling or on paper.
To dock fillets with a decorative corner, you need to place the corner exactly in the center between the walls to the ceiling. Attach to it on both sides of the baseboard and cut them a little with a clerical knife until they fit perfectly together.
The problem is that the standard sizes of such corners do not always fit the size of the curb, in which case it is better to cut the corner yourself.
How to cut corners on a skirting board
The ceiling plinth gives an aesthetic appearance to the room after renovation. It hides all minor construction defects, gaps and crevices. Since it runs along the entire perimeter of the room, you need to be able to dock it at the corners. This is not difficult and is done in several simple ways..
How to make an inner corner
- Press the fillet to the inner corner in the way that it will be glued.
- With a pencil, draw the fishing line along the upper edge of the part (on the ceiling) towards the corner. Next, take the second one and press it in the same way to the second side of the wall..
- Draw the line with a pencil in the same direction towards the corner. As a result, you get the intersection of two lines on the ceiling..
- Then, reattach the skirting board on one side in the same way and mark the intersection of the lines on it. Do the same with the second baguette..
As a result, if you run the line from the mark to the bottom edge of the fillet, you get a flat line at an angle of 45 degrees..
To correctly cut the inner corner of the ceiling molding, follow these steps:
- Transfer the workpiece to the device in the same position as it will be attached to the surface and press it very tightly against the back wall of the tool.
- Put the hacksaw in the slots at 45 degrees to the workpiece, which must be held by hand during work so that it does not shift.
- Carefully cut the baguette, controlling the pressure of the tool, so as not to damage anything.
- Another piece of plinth should also be installed against the back of the device, also pressing and holding it tightly during operation, avoiding displacement.
- Set the hacksaw at 45 degrees to the workpiece so that it is opposite the first trimmed border.
- Cut off. Done!
It is imperative to cut off the skirting board from the front side of the product so that the line is even and clear..
Before starting work, you should prepare the material with which you will have to work. Fillets are made of:
Based on this, you need to prepare the tools. Depending on the material, a device is selected with which it will be easy to cut off the part. Also, there should be glue for attaching the skirting board and a sealant to mask minor defects..
There is also special fittings for decorating corners – they are attached to the joints at the corners. Its benefit is that it can hide some of the irregularities of the work..
The higher the ceilings in the room, the wider the border should be. Otherwise, he will simply “get lost”.
Then, the surface is prepared to which the plinth will be attached – it must be dry, even and clean..
Skirting Corner Tools
Initially, you should decide what exactly to cut. If this is a light material – polystyrene, for example, polyurethane, etc., then a clerical or well-sharpened knife will do. But the most versatile tool for cutting curbs from any material is a metal hacksaw. She cuts almost everything, smoothly and quickly.
A ruler and a crayon or pencil will also come in handy, and when manually cutting a plinth, an angular ruler is required..
How to cut a baguette in the corner of a wall using a machine
A miter box is a U-shaped tray with sides, in which slots are made for the cutting tool. There can be three or more slots, depending on its purpose. The slots are made in such a way as to cut parts from 15 to 135 degrees. In this case, I am interested in a simple tool with a minimum set of slots for cutting at angles of 45-90 degrees..
The tray provides a ready-made template for cutting at different angles. It can be used to trim both internal and external protrusions. In its absence, you can make it yourself. This will require four planks, even and preferably smooth. Knock the tray out of them and proceed to the holes for cutting. Mark them at 45-90 degrees, cut with a thick cutting object or circular saw.
- The ceiling plinth is applied and cut on the near inner side of the tray.
- The molding is installed in the same way as it is planned for fixing to the ceiling.
- Cutting the workpiece should only be at 90 degrees.
- The side that will be glued to the ceiling should be firmly pressed against the bottom of the tray during operation.
- The border is cut here strictly on the front side.
- For each material from which the skirting board is made, you need to choose the right cutting tool.
- It is best to start cutting fillets from the inner corner, otherwise the part may turn out to be shorter and not fill the entire length of the ceiling..
How to trim corners on curbs without a machine
The device for trimming ceiling corners is suitable provided that the walls are flat, which are perpendicular to each other and to the ceiling. Otherwise, this unit will not help in any way and the angles will have to be adjusted manually. How to do it?
In the same way as described above, mark the cutting line for cutting, trying on the skirting boards to the ceiling. Then, carefully cut them off on a flat surface with a hacksaw, as far as possible, butting them to the desired ledge and trimming the flaws. Careful fit will help you cut corners most clearly.
You can draw a diagram of the angle on paper (if it is perfectly straight), using a square, measure the cutting line of the cut along it and cut them evenly along it.
You can also measure the width of the fillet, use a ruler to set aside this value at the bottom of the plank and connect the protruding corner with the marked point with a straight line. Do the same on both opposite planks..
Then dock and see the result: if there are no gaps and everything is cut out clearly, you can glue it. If there are any flaws, the seam turns out to be imperfect – you need to correct it with a sharp knife, cutting off the excess.
Note! In the presence of stretch ceilings, borders cannot be glued to them – only on the wall.
If you use these simple rules and pay attention to the tips, you can independently, without the help of specialists, figure out how to properly cut a corner on the ceiling plinth. This will not work the first time, you need to first practice on short details. Since there is nothing to hide flaws on the ceiling, how can you do this on the floor, you need to cut it out carefully, more often trying on the product to the place of further gluing.
The ceiling plinth completes the completeness of the picture of the room after renovation, gives it neatness and should harmoniously fit into the design of the future room.
Miter box for skirting boards
A carpenter’s miter box is a device for cutting at a certain angle. It is used with a hacksaw. In principle, you can make a miter box yourself by assembling a guide from the boards and making cuts in the walls. There are various models on sale, ranging from 15 to several hundred dollars. They differ in capabilities, materials, although all are called “miter box”. Professional models are made on the basis of a good hacksaw, have a scale that allows you to set the saw as it should. With such a tool, it is not a problem to set any desired cutting angle in order to correctly cut the skirting board for a perfect fit..
Professional carpentry miter box – a tool with a wide range
The simplest miter box is a plastic U-shaped profile, in the walls of which slots are formed. These slots are used as a hacksaw guide. They do not allow the canvas to deviate. In any case, there are two cuts – straight and at 45 degrees. Some may have a couple more options..
How to cut a plinth at 45 degrees? One way is to use a miter box
Sometimes a hacksaw is included, sometimes not. Usually the ones included are not very good. Any hacksaw can be used, picking up a blade for the material that is planned to be cut. It is important that the blade moves freely in the slots..
The algorithm of actions is as follows:
- The ceiling plinth must be attached to the place of gluing and the necessary measurements must be made.
- After the fillet, you need to put the top on the bottom of the miter box tray. In this case, the lower part of the plinth must be pressed against the wall of the tool.
- Next, you need to cut the skirting board at an angle of 45 ° using a saw or knife. When cutting, it is important not to overdo it with pressing force, as chips may remain on the plinth.
- So you yourself need to cut off the butt skirting board, at the same angle.
- At the end, you need to dock adjacent fillets at the gluing point, while adjusting the cut line with a knife.
How to cut coving corners perfectly
For those who are doing this procedure for the first time, experts recommend practicing on trimming skirting boards.
How to cut a corner of a skirting board the first time
Ceiling plinth, also known as fillet, frieze or baguette, is a finishing material that is used at the final stage of the renovation of the premises. At the same time, it not only masks possible irregularities of the upper edge of the wallpaper or peeling of plaster near the ceiling, but also acts as a decorative element, giving completeness and uniqueness to the space..
- How to cut ceiling plinth in corners
- Types of ceiling plinths
- By form
- By material
- How to cut the inner corner of the fillet?
- The algorithm of actions is as follows:
- Miter box for skirting boards
- How to use the miter box correctly
- How to cut material
- How to cut an arbitrary corner
- Sawing off the corners of the plinth (internal and external)
- Materials for the production of skirting boards
- How to join the outer corners of a skirting board
- How to join the corners of a skirting board if they do not have 90º:
- Fillet trimming
- Pruning with a miter box
- How to cut a skirting board without a miter box?
- How to make a miter box template with your own hands
How to cut ceiling plinth in corners
The quality of the ceiling finish greatly affects the appearance of the room. Therefore, they try to do everything perfectly, or very close to it. The finishing touch to the design is the ceiling plinth. They give the finish a complete and holistic look. The strips themselves are mounted on flat surfaces simply: on special white glue, but problems arise with the design of the corners. Without knowing how to make the corner of the skirting board correctly, a lot of material deteriorates. How and what to cut it in the corners and tell you.
How to cut the inner corner of the fillet?
Materials for the production of skirting boards
For the manufacture of ceiling plinths, 4 types of material are used:
- extruded polystyrene foam;
PVC fillets act as a finishing profile for walls made of plastic panels. Their installation is as simple as installing PVC panels, and the corner joints are closed with overlays. But for skirting boards made of wood and polystyrene foam, you need to cut the corners with care to ensure neat joints without gaps. The skirting board made of polystyrene and expanded polystyrene is easy to process. It can even be cut with a clerical knife. The extrusion material is slightly denser than the foam, which makes it more resistant to possible damage, and it is slightly more difficult to cut, but otherwise both types of foam are almost the same. Traditional wood skirting boards will have to be cut with a hacksaw. Planks, which are made of hard rocks, are the worst for processing..
How to cut an arbitrary corner
Sometimes the walls are not connected to each other at right angles, then the sawing will need to be adjusted. This is done in two ways:
- Through thick paper or a cardboard homemade template. If the plinth is hollow from the inside, then it is unlikely to hold vertically. In this case, you will need a homemade corner in which the product fits, as well as in a miter box. The corner is laid on a pre-prepared stencil so that it matches the template, then the product is cut according to the marks.
- Mark the material with a pencil. Cut two pieces at an angle of 90 degrees, then attach them to the wall and mark the abutment line. Find the point of contact of the skirting boards, then transfer the markings to the material, cut.
The right solution is to cut the outer and inner corner with a miter box
You might get the impression that the fillet just needs to be cut at a 45º angle and glued in place. However, doing so can lead to up to three mistakes:
- make a cut at the wrong angle;
- the cut will be uneven;
- the cutting plane is not perpendicular to the ceiling.
In this case, the angle is less than 90 degrees.
If there is even one omission, the junction of two fillets will have unacceptable gaps and slots. At the same time, the use of a simple and inexpensive tool called a miter box solves all problems. By the way, it is easy to make it yourself in accordance with the recommendations “How to make a miter box with your own hands, photos of homemade structures”.
In the standard version, the miter box allows you to cut workpieces at angles of 30, 45, 60 and 90º, which makes it possible to smoothly cut both internal and external corners, as well as to evenly join fillet pieces. For cutting materials such as expanded polystyrene, you can use a pistol knife with a blade width of 18mm, for working with wooden baseboards and other materials, a hacksaw for metal.
The inner corner in rooms is much more common, so from it we will begin to act according to the following plan:
- First, you need to mark the fillet along the length, attaching it to the wall in the appropriate place. If this is not possible, you will have to use a tape measure. The mark is applied with a pencil, and so that it does not remain on the fillet after trimming.
- The workpiece is placed in the miter box so that it is in the working position. The edge of the plinth, which will be on the wall, should be at the top, and the side that should be on the ceiling falls on the bottom of the miter box.
- Now insert the hacksaw into the rails at an angle of 45º so that after cutting the edge on the ceiling is shorter than the edge on the wall. With our left hand we press the workpiece to the miter box and carefully cut the fillet, trying to prevent the material from chipping.
- We also cut out the second part of the corner along the guide located at 90º to the previous cut. To do this, place the workpiece on the opposite side of the miter box..
- Trying to connect the parts in place. If there is a gap, we carry out the correction with a file or a knife.
- If the skirting board has a colored coating, the place of the cut must be tinted with the same color, otherwise the joint will be visible. Fillets can be glued in place.
The outer corner is cut in much the same way, but if the same part has both kinds of corners, the inner corner is cut first. We act according to the following plan:
- When marking the external joint, it should be borne in mind that the part will be longer by the amount of the plinth width.
- The workpiece is placed in the miter box so that it is in the working position. The edge of the plinth, which will be on the wall, should be at the top, and the side that should be on the ceiling falls on the bottom of the miter box.
- Now insert the hacksaw into the rails at an angle of 45º so that after cutting the edge on the ceiling is longer than the edge on the wall. With the left hand, we press the workpiece to the miter box and carefully cut the fillet, trying to prevent the material from chipping.
This is followed by the same operations as for the device of the internal joint. Unfortunately, it so happens that the corners in the room are not equal to 90º, and the joints are obtained with gaps.
In this case, the problem is solved by a professional saw with a miter box, which allows you to cut the part correctly at any angle. In its absence, the cutting angle can be adjusted by installing spacers between the fillet and the miter box. In this case, the thickness of the spacer must be greater than the compensated gap as many times as the distance from the spacer to the cut is greater than the width of the plinth.
Choosing fillets on the ceiling
Ceiling plinth, another name for fillet or ceiling corner, can be made from various materials, as well as have a wide variety of shapes and sizes. Starting with the appearance, you should choose the height of the profile of the finishing elements in proportion to the size of the room. So, for a room with a height of 2.7 m, a plinth with a height of 50 mm is suitable. In rooms with a height of 2.5 to 3 m, finishing elements from 40 to 80 mm, respectively, will be appropriate.
A great choice – durable and moisture resistant polyurethane fillets. At the same time, they are not recommended for use in the kitchen, where, under the influence of changing temperatures, the finish can deform..
Fillets made of wood are distinguished by their environmental friendliness and time-tested. However, wood can warp and change its size under the influence of fluctuations in temperature and moisture in certain rooms. The relatively large weight of such products makes them difficult to mount at the top. Docking wooden fillets is more difficult than those listed above. In the absence of experience in installing a plinth, it is better to purchase it with a certain margin, since mistakes are inevitable.
How to Cut & Install Skirting Board, Baseboard Internal Corners
How to properly cut a ceiling plinth without a miter box
The marking of the corners of the skirting board joint can be done “in place” on the ceiling, and then the question of at what angle to cut the skirting board does not arise. Moreover, it is possible to properly cut the fillet without a miter box, however, to obtain corners without gaps, you need to work very carefully and accurately..
In this case, the design of the inner corner, the sequence of actions is as follows:
- We put the plinth on the place of its installation and draw the fishing line along the edge of the fillet on the ceiling at the joining point. We carry out the markup with a pencil with a short, non-greasy line..
- We carry out a similar procedure on the second side of the corner and we get the intersection of two lines.
- Now we transfer the marking of the obtained point to both plinths. At the same time, it makes no sense to mark the cutting line, since it will not be possible to accurately apply it on an uneven surface, and pencil marks will remain on the part after trimming.
- We place the skirting board on a wooden support in working position. For this, it is convenient to use a second plank, installed with an edge on the base. We look at the place of the cut perpendicularly from above and cut off the fillet, focusing on the mark and the opposite edge of the plinth.
- Trying on the cut skirting boards in the corner. Pencil marks can be erased with a rubber band.
The outside corner is marked differently. The skirting board is applied to the installation site and the corner mowing line is marked on the wall at its lower edge. Then a fillet trim is applied to the second edge of the corner, and a mark is made on the upper edge of the workpiece at the point of contact of the two profiles. The markings are transferred from the inside of the skirting board to the outside, and cutting is performed.
Note that in this case there are traces of a pencil on the ceiling, which are not always easy to remove. In addition, when cutting out each corner, the marking operation must be done in place. It will probably be easier to work with a 45 ° cross pattern on the cutting stand..
The workpiece can now be placed on the base and cut using the template. By the way, the layout of the template can be done taking into account the deviations of the corners in the room and get joints without gaps.
How to cut outside and inside corner # 128299; on the ceiling plinth with your own hands
The angle between the ceiling and the wall in houses and apartments is rarely ideal. In this case, installing a skirting board is the most practical way to close the uneven border and brighten up the space above your head. Fixing the finishing elements to the ceiling is relatively easy, for example, with the help of “liquid nails”. At the same time, it is not at all easy to make a neat joint with your own hands, and it is better to first familiarize yourself with how to correctly cut a corner on the ceiling plinth.
Other ways to align corners evenly
It is very simple to join the profile in the corners with the help of special decorative corner elements. Unfortunately, not every skirting board can be matched with the necessary components..
Moreover, the design of such elements is not always consistent with the overall interior of the room. On the contrary, in a certain situation, special corners will serve as a decoration of the room..
How to cut an inner corner?
Cutting the plinth to prepare the inner corner must be correct. For this, a specialized tool is used – a miter box, but you can carry out work without it. Let’s get acquainted with all possible ways to trim parts.
Without miter box
Moldings intended for installation on a ceiling base can be sawn off without a miter box. It so happens that this method turns out to be more effective, so many masters turn to it. We will analyze in stages how to trim moldings in this way.
- It is necessary to place the part so that its edge rests against the joint of 2 walls. Be sure to mark this position with a pencil..
- Similar actions will need to be performed with the molding and on the opposite side..
- At the junction of the wall and the ceiling base, it is necessary to connect the intersecting points and lay the fishing line diagonally. Then it is required to mark it on the baseboard itself. This will be the mark for future cutting..
- Cut the part with a sharp blade along the marked strip. When docking, the components must be perfectly aligned. Using a similar technique, it is possible to cut the material to form the outer corners of the skirting boards.
How to make an inner corner of a ceiling plinth?
- Features of cutting different skirting boards
- How to cut an inner corner?
- How to use the template?
- How to make a miter box with your own hands?
- How to dock?
Today, the range of ceiling plinths pleases customers with a chic variety. Such components are made from different materials and apply different designs to them. Plinths are easy to install, but often this requires you to first make their inner corners. In this article, we will figure out how to do it correctly..
With miter box
Most craftsmen prepare skirting boards for ceiling installation using a miter box. With this device, you can easily cut the necessary parts at home without spending a lot of extra time. We will analyze in stages how you can correctly saw off the fillet using a miter box.
- First of all, the blank of the ceiling plinth will need to be applied to the surface of the base and mark the length.
- Then a piece of molding should be placed in the miter box in the same position as it should be installed on the ceiling.
- The fillet is pressed as tightly as possible to the back surface of the tool.
- You need to hold the workpiece with one hand so that it does not move during cutting..
- Lock the hacksaw at a 45 degree angle to the workpiece.
- The skirting board must be cut, keeping the degree of pressure of the hacksaw under control, so as not to harm the part.
- Next, you should proceed to cutting the “mating” part of the plinth. It must also be attached to the far wall of the miter box..
- The prepared part is pressed and held by hand so that it does not move.
- The hacksaw is set at an angle of 45 degrees in relation to the workpiece so that the direction of the cut is opposed to the first part of the fillet.
- And in the end, the corner of the plinth must be cut.
Features of cutting different skirting boards
As mentioned earlier, modern fillets are made from a variety of materials. The features of cutting parts depend on this characteristic. Let’s consider some of them.
- The most durable material used in today’s skirting boards is wood. When cutting such components, the most serious resistance arises, due to which chips and burrs may appear on the cut. Skirting boards made of wood, especially those with a small width, are advisable to be sawed exclusively with a hacksaw for wood with small teeth, or to use an electric jigsaw with the same “delicate” file.
- Expanded polystyrene (styrofoam). The most fragile and lightweight material used in fillet production. During cutting, it can easily crumble. It is recommended to cut out such elements using a sharp clerical or construction knife. Carrying out such a process, you do not need to press with the blade with excessive zeal, because the notch zone because of this risks being squeezed through, which will negatively affect the appearance of the components. The work must be carried out with the utmost care and thoroughness so that there is no crumbling or deformation..
- Extruded (extruded) polystyrene foam. This is a more reliable and durable material that can be cut easily and does not leave crumbs. Cutting elements from such a material is much easier, since burrs or shells are extremely rarely formed on it. However, such parts are flexible, therefore it is problematic to keep on a curved surface..
- Polyurethane. Both rigid and flexible skirting boards are made from it, so they can be installed both on relatively uneven and frankly curved sections..
It makes sense to cut flexible options only with a sharp knife, but with respect to hard ones, you need to do the same as with extruded polystyrene foam.
How to use the template?
When cutting moldings, you can use the miter box template. Apply 2 parallel mowing lines to it. Then they calculate the central point and, starting from it, lay any desired corner with a protractor. Before sawing this designated corner, it is recommended to double-check the size of both the internal and external corners between the walls in the room. For this, the same simple protractor will come in handy..
The principle of trimming ceiling skirting boards using a template is approximately the same as when using a standard miter box..
In this case, the harvested part must be pressed against a parallel mowing line and, fixing the hacksaw at the required angle, cut off the workpiece.