How to cut a baguette in the corner of a wall using a machine
The miter box is a U-shaped tray with sides, in which slots are made for the cutting tool. There may be three or more slots, depending on its purpose. The slots are made in such a way as to cut parts from 15 to 135 degrees. In this case, I am interested in a simple tool with a minimum set of slots for cutting at angles of 45-90 degrees.
The tray provides a ready-made template for cutting at different angles. It can be used to trim both internal and external protrusions. In its absence, you can make it yourself. This will require four planks, even and preferably smooth. Knock the tray out of them and proceed to the holes for cutting. Mark them at 45-90 degrees, cut with a thick cutting object or circular saw.
How to Use a Mitre Box
- The ceiling plinth is applied and cut on the near inner side of the tray.
- The baguette is installed in the same way as it is planned for fixing to the ceiling.
- Cutting the workpiece should only be at 90 degrees.
- The side that will be glued to the ceiling must be firmly pressed against the bottom of the tray during operation.
- The border is cut here strictly on the front side.
- For each material from which the skirting board is made, you need to choose the right cutting tool.
- It is best to start cutting fillets from the inner corner, otherwise the part may turn out to be shorter and not fill the entire length of the ceiling.
How to cut skirting board or baseboard corners. No power tools required!
How to cut the correct corner of the ceiling plinth with your own hands
You only need to cut the corners on the baguettes at an angle of forty-five degrees, which will help to combine both the outer and inner parts of the material. This can be done both through a slotted tray or in its absence by applying the necessary markings on the ceiling or on paper.
To dock fillets with a decorative corner, you need to place the corner exactly in the center between the walls to the ceiling. Attach to it on both sides of the baseboard and cut them a little with a clerical knife until they fit perfectly together.
The problem is that the standard sizes of such corners do not always fit the size of the curb, in which case it is better to cut the corner yourself.
How to make an inner corner
- Press the fillet to the inner corner in the way it will be glued.
- With a pencil, draw the fishing line along the upper edge of the part (on the ceiling) towards the corner. Next, take the second one and press it in the same way to the second side of the wall.
- Draw the line with a pencil in the same direction towards the corner. As a result, there will be an intersection of two lines on the ceiling.
- Then, reattach the skirting board on one side in the same way and mark the intersection of the lines on it. Do the same with the second baguette.
As a result, if you run the line from the mark to the bottom edge of the fillet, you get a flat line at an angle of 45 degrees. To correctly cut the inner corner of the ceiling molding, follow these steps:
- Transfer the workpiece to the device in the same position as it will be attached to the surface and press it very tightly against the back of the tool.
- Put the hacksaw in the slots at 45 degrees to the workpiece, which must be held by hand during work so that it does not shift.
- Carefully cut the baguette, controlling the pressure of the tool, so as not to damage anything.
- Another piece of the skirting board should also be installed against the back of the device, also pressing and holding it tightly during operation, avoiding displacement.
- Set the hacksaw at 45 degrees to the workpiece so that it is opposite the first trimmed border.
- Cut off. Done!
It is imperative to cut off the skirting board from the front side of the product so that the line is even and clear.
Before starting work, you should prepare the material with which you will have to work. Fillets are made of:
Based on this, you need to prepare the tools. Depending on the material, a device is selected with which it will be easy to cut off the part. Also, there should be glue for attaching the skirting board and a sealant to mask minor defects.
There is also special fittings for decorating corners. they are attached to the joints at the corners. Its benefit is that it can hide some of the irregularities of the work.
The higher the ceilings in the room, the wider the border should be. Otherwise, he will simply “get lost”. Then, the surface to which the plinth will be attached is prepared. it must be dry, even and clean.
Skirting Corner Tools
Initially, you should decide what exactly to cut. If this is a light material. polystyrene, for example, polyurethane, etc., then a clerical or well-sharpened knife will do. But the most versatile tool for cutting curbs from any material is a metal hacksaw. She cuts almost everything, smoothly and quickly.
A ruler and a chalk or pencil will also come in handy, and when manually cutting a plinth, an angular ruler is required.
How to cut corners on a skirting board
The ceiling plinth gives an aesthetic appearance to the room after renovation. It hides all minor construction defects, gaps and crevices. Since it runs along the entire perimeter of the room, you need to be able to dock it at the corners. This is not difficult and is done in several simple ways.
How to make an outer corner
Just as the mowing line was outlined for trimming the inner corners, the outer corners must be done. Attach the planks to the wall at the protruding corner. On the ceiling, mark a line along the length of one baguette, then a line along the other. You will get the intersection point, which should be marked on the upper parts of the baseboard. Draw the line from it to the lower edge of the workpiece (make two sides in this way).
Then work with the marked lines of the outer corner of the baguette as follows:
- Place the workpiece in the tray, pressing firmly against the front wall of the machine and holding it with your hand during operation.
- Set the cutting tool at 45 degrees to the workpiece and carefully cut off the corner.
- Install the counter plinth in the same way, pressing it against the front wall of the device.
- Cut at 45 degrees, but in such a way that the angle is directly opposite to the already cut.
After all the corners have been cut off, it is required to dock the fillets together, checking for defects in the work. If there are any, remove them by carefully cutting with a knife. As for wooden curbs, the irregularities on them must be removed with a file.
How to trim corners on curbs without a machine
The device for trimming ceiling corners is suitable provided that the walls are flat, which are located perpendicular to each other and to the ceiling. Otherwise, this unit will not help in any way and the angles will have to be adjusted manually. How to do it?
In the same way as described above, mark the mowing line for cutting, trying on the skirting boards to the ceiling. Then, carefully cut them off on a flat surface with a hacksaw, as far as possible, butting them to the desired ledge and trimming the flaws. Careful fit will help you cut corners most clearly.
You can draw a diagram of the angle on paper (if it is perfectly straight), using a square, measure the cutting line of the cut along it and cut them evenly along it.
How to cut an external mitre / outside corner on skirting boards / baseboards.
You can also measure the width of the fillet, use a ruler to set aside this value at the bottom of the plank and connect the protruding corner with the marked point with a straight line. Do the same on both opposite planks.
Then dock and see the result: if there are no gaps and everything is cut out clearly, you can glue it. If there are any flaws, the seam turns out to be imperfect. you need to correct it with a sharp knife, cutting off the excess.
Note! In the presence of stretch ceilings, borders cannot be glued to them. only on the wall.
If you use these simple rules and pay attention to the tips, then you can independently, without the help of specialists, figure out how to properly cut a corner on the ceiling plinth. This will not work the first time, you need to first practice on short details. Since there is nothing to hide flaws on the ceiling, how can you do this on the floor, you need to cut it out carefully, more often trying on the product to the place of further gluing.
The ceiling plinth completes the completeness of the picture of the room after renovation, gives it neatness and should harmoniously fit into the design of the future room.
When studying the question of how to properly cut a corner on a ceiling plinth, you should pay attention to its shape and related products. There are embossed and smooth fillets. Their width and length can vary significantly.
When choosing the size of the skirting boards, take into account the type of interior, as well as the height of the ceilings. For a small room, where the distance from floor to ceiling is no more than 2.75 m, wide skirting boards will not work. They will look out of place. For the same reason, a narrow fillet should not be used for high ceilings. In such rooms, a 45 mm plinth looks good.
For installation, you can purchase curly corners from the same material as the fillet. They are external and internal. But quite often the skirting boards are joined without them, directly. In this case, you need to perform an even, beautiful trimming of the corners.
How to cut corners on skirting boards? Step-by-step instructions, practical tips and advice
Repair is a responsible and costly undertaking. Although you can save a lot if you carry out the work yourself. Cosmetic finishing of the premises is carried out according to certain technologies. You can decorate the interior using a variety of materials.
Today, a very popular technique is the use of skirting boards to hide irregularities between the walls and the ceiling. In order for the contour to be aesthetic, it is necessary to do the work carefully. How to cut corners on skirting boards will help you understand the advice of experienced construction and repair masters. They will tell you how, using various tools, to perform the necessary manipulations with decorative finishes of various types.
General characteristics of finishing
Studying the question of how to properly cut a corner on the ceiling plinth, you should familiarize yourself with the features of such a finish. The stucco molding between the ceiling and walls is now made of artificial materials. It can be polyvinyl chloride, expanded polystyrene or polyurethane. Wood can be used from natural materials.
In the construction business, the ceiling plinth is called (scientifically) a fillet. Of all the materials from which such finishing elements are made, polyurethane is considered the highest quality. Therefore it is better to choose it. Next, let’s try to figure out how to cut the corner of the ceiling plinth. Expert advice will help you do this job well.
To make the process quick and easy, use a tool such as a miter box. This is a U-shaped template. There are slot patterns in its side walls. They have a different angle of inclination.
There is another technique that allows you to evenly glue the ceiling plinth. Cutting corners without a miter box is possible. But still, the use of such a tool greatly facilitates the work.
First you need to mark the skirting board. If you want to create an outer corner, the length is measured along the ceiling, and the inner one along the wall. For the fillet, a slope of the mowing line of 45 and 90 degrees is used. Since this is a fairly small number of slot options, it is quite possible to make a template yourself. All you need is a sheet of paper or cardboard.
If the repairer has considerable experience in carrying out such operations, he can cut corners without additional tools. The craftsman applies the fillet to the wall, and then makes notes on the product right here. After that, he cuts off the excess. An inexperienced craftsman, most likely, will not be able to cut even corners the first time. Therefore, it is better to use a miter box or close irregularities with decorative corners.
Work without a miter box
The polyurethane skirting board looks very nice in the interior. How to cut corners on such a product so as not to spoil its appearance? And here the inexperienced master will be helped by expert advice. Not always a home craftsman has at hand such a tool as a miter box. You can do without it.
For this, the markings are made directly on the wall. First, the required length of the decorative item is measured. It is cut at right angles. Next, each detail is applied to the ceiling. Their contour is outlined with a pencil. This produces an intersection. It is applied to both skirting boards.
An inclined line is drawn from the point of intersection to the edge. This is the clipping boundary. Correct it before gluing by attaching both skirting boards to the corner. This is a fairly simple method, but even it requires a good eye and accuracy in work.
Skirting board material
Experts agree that polyurethane is the best material for the presented finishing products. But even he has a number of disadvantages. These should be taken into account before cutting corners on the skirting boards. Polyurethane is susceptible to temperature extremes. Therefore, it is not used for decoration in the kitchen or bath. Otherwise, the skirting boards will quickly crack and lose their aesthetics.
Expanded polystyrene has almost all the positive characteristics inherent in polyurethane. But it is still more fragile material. It’s easy to break.
PVC skirting boards are relatively cheap. But it is very easy to leave dents or gouges on them. Therefore, work with such products should be very careful.
Wood looks very nice, but not in all interiors. In addition, it is rather difficult for a non-professional craftsman to work with such material. Do you want to make repairs with your own hands? Then you’d better still choose polyurethane or expanded polystyrene.
Quite often, the contour of the walls in a room has a complex shape. In this case, you will need to figure out how to cut the outer corner of the ceiling plinth. To do this, it is laid on the bottom of the miter box in the same way as in the previous version, with the side that adjoins the ceiling.
Other slots are used for these corners. They also have a slope of 45 degrees, but are on the other side. Further, after marking and trimming, 2 plinths are applied to the corresponding place on the ceiling. Adjustment in progress.
Difficulties can arise when it is necessary to cut the same skirting board on one side for the outer corner, and on the other for the inner one. Many people make a mistake here. First you need to cut the inner corner. Otherwise, a skirting board that is too shortened will not dock in any place.
How to neatly cut the innermost corner that is on the skirting board? After completing the markup, work according to the following algorithm:
- Place the bar in the bottom of the miter box so as to repeat the position on the surface.
- Press the plinth against the far wall of the miter box.
- Holding the product, clamp it with your free hand.
- Place the hacksaw at a 45 ° angle into the recess and cut.
- Trim an adjacent element in a similar manner.
On a note! The inner corner made of PVC or expanded polystyrene can be processed with a stationery knife or a hacksaw for metal.
Draw a miter box
Another option for cropping is according to the drawn markup. The markings are drawn according to the principle of a miter box. two parallel mowing lines are drawn, and the corners are marked between them. Also, you can transfer the values from the goniometer to such a marking. it will be clearer to cut the baguettes. In this case, you must not forget to put the plinth in the right position when cutting.
Of course, these methods, at first, will not give an ideal result. the junction will have to be adjusted, but this is done very simply. But over time, the hand will be packed, and the cuts will become much smoother.
To figure out how to quickly cut and make beautiful the outer corner located on the ceiling plinth, you will need:
- Measure the length of the fillet from the wall surface to the point where the corner is.
- Mark the wrong side of the part with a pencil.
- Place the outer corner into the bottom of the miter box and cut at a 45 degree angle.
- Cut the adjacent strip according to the same pattern.
- Try on parts and trim the ends with a knife for perfect seams.
On a note! The outer element should protrude slightly outward.
How to cut the corners of the ceiling plinth correctly. How to cut a corner with a miter box
In rooms with even corners and walls, cutting the ceiling plinth with a miter box is usually not very difficult. The tool has the form of a U-shaped groove with saw guides made at an angle of 90 and 45 degrees. Having placed the element requiring cutting inside the device, insert the saw into the guides. During the cutting process, the baguette must be firmly held in place to avoid defects. Cutting off the plinth is quite difficult, since it is necessary to achieve its simultaneous adherence to two planes. If the width of the baguette is small, then it is more convenient to press it to the near side. “How to cut ceiling plinths. cutting tools and rules”.
How to cut off the corner of the skirting board if the outer corner is being formed:
- Before cutting the corners of the ceiling plinth with a miter box, it is washed down at an angle of 45 degrees.
- The miter box is exposed in a comfortable position. This will make it possible to determine the exact location of the skirting board: first of all, this concerns the edge of the product that will be adjacent to the ceiling. To avoid confusion, it is best to place the right-side plank on the right and the left-side plank on the left.
- The surface is pressed against the lower surface of the miter box. In this case, the second part rises, turning out to be the closest. It must be applied to the wall of the miter box in such a way that during operation it will not wobble. With this arrangement, the front side of the product turns out to be turned in the opposite direction.
- The cut must be done at an angle of 45 degrees from yourself. If done correctly, the two halves are folded together to create a beautiful outer corner.
After the correct sawing off of the ceiling plinth in the corners is completed, both pieces must first be applied to the ceiling “dry” in order to check the coincidence of the corner geometry. If necessary, trimming is carried out with a knife. It is easier to cover small gaps with a putty, which, after drying, must be treated with sanding paper. As for the inner corner, it is much easier to arrange it.
The procedure for how to cut the ceiling plinth in the corners of the interior type is very similar to the one described above. The first step is to determine the side that will be adjacent to the ceiling. It is placed at the bottom of the miter box. The reverse side leans against the near wall. After sawing off the plinth on the ceiling is finished, the resulting fragments must be dry applied to the corner, checking the quality of the joint. Fitting is carried out if necessary. After that, one and the second skirting boards are installed on the assembly structure. Small gaps in the corner can be filled with a special putty.
How to cut the corners of a skirting board with a miter box. How to properly cut the corners of ceiling plinths: both with and without a miter box
When planning the premises of their apartment, many people think about how difficult the work can be. However, everything is not so scary: the ceiling plinth can be installed with your own hands. the main thing is to know about some of the features of the materials from which this finishing element is made.
How to make corners on a skirting board using a miter box
This method is the simplest and most reliable. The miter box allows you to cut as accurately as possible.
Before doing the work, you should correctly mark the element. They do it in two ways.
- On the plinth, an angle of 90 or 45 degrees is marked with a pencil. Then the product is put into a miter box and cut along the marked mowing line.
- The element is put in place and the outer edge is marked. On the opposite side, a fillet is also installed and also denotes the edge. Where the marks intersect is the outside edge, and the end of the wall is the inside edge. The outer and inner edges are marked on the product, and then the baguette is cut.
Skirting board cutting tool set
Working tools when solving the problem of how to properly cut the ceiling plinth in the corners are selected depending on the material from which the plinth is made, since each of them has its own processing characteristics:
- The PVC skirting board has no resistance to mechanical stress at all. Even light pressure results in irreparable damage. Therefore, no great effort is required during the cutting process. The question of how to cut a PVC skirting board is solved using a blade, a sharpened construction knife or a hacksaw for metal.
- The skirting board made of polystyrene also does not differ in particular strength, but in comparison with polyvinyl chloride it has a higher quality, moreover, it crumbles easily. Cutting foam ceiling plinths is done with sharp tools, just like PVC.
- Wooden skirting boards have higher strength characteristics and aesthetically pleasing appearance. However, the cost of such products is quite high. For cutting skirting boards made of wood, it is recommended to use a wood hacksaw with frequent teeth, since the teeth of a hacksaw for metal are easily clogged with sawdust.
How to make a miter box for a ceiling plinth with your own hands
If there is no such useful device as a miter box, you can replace it or make it yourself.
In simple cases, for example, for cutting foam plastic, ordinary cardboard or a sheet of thick paper plays the role of a miter box. 2 parallel segments are laid on it and the planned cut points are marked with the help of a protractor. Then they simply attach a piece of the product and cut it off using cardboard as a template.
If the material is wide, hollow inside, or made of such a strong material as wood, it is impossible to do without a miter box or its equivalent. Then do this.
- A template is made on cardboard or thick paper.
- Then, corners for the ceiling plinth are made from any suitable material. from two strips, for example. The material is inserted into the element as in a miter box.
- Then the device is placed over the stencil so that the end of the plinth is above the pattern. A profile is inserted into the miter box substitute and cut with a knife or saw according to the mark.
At the same time, the knife blade rests only on a homemade product, so you need to be careful when working.
If the angle is not right
Unfortunately, in some cases, the angle between the walls in the room is not straight, but sharp, or, conversely, obtuse. This is due to structural defects that have arisen through the fault of non-professional builders, the architect’s idea or the result of soil subsidence some time after the construction of the building. This is especially common in village houses and summer cottages.
No miter box or a drawing replacing it will help in this case, and you will have to do the markup in place.
- Attach the workpiece to one of the walls so that it rests against the other wall with its end.
- Run the line on the ceiling along the workpiece.
- Perform the same operation against another wall.
- At the intersection of the two lines, put a mark on the workpiece itself.
- Draw the line from the mark to the corner of the workpiece and cut along it.
- Do the same with the workpiece, which you will attach to another wall.
- Glue both blanks; they will come together tightly.
How to cut the corners of the ceiling plinth (photo)
How to make an outside corner on a skirting board
Outside corners have to be dealt with if the room has niches, bay windows, protruding boxes or columns. Here, too, you need to cut off the ceiling plinth at 45 degrees.
- In fact, the difference between these two cases lies only in the correct measurement. The bar is placed along the joint and the mark is made on the inside.
- The product is put into the miter box in the same way as it was tried on, that is, with the ceiling part up. The edge of the fillet is placed so that the mark on the inner side coincides with the slot, but at the same time the outer part of the plinth protrudes somewhat beyond the edge.
- A hacksaw is inserted into the slot and cut off. The second fragment is prepared in the same way, but in a mirror image.
For cutting a hard baguette, for example, a wooden one, it is better to use a jigsaw.
In this case, the parts are also fixed. To cut the rail, pressed against the left sidewall, insert the saw from the right.
In the case when the rail is an integral part of the external and internal joint, the internal joint is first drawn up. Then the rail is applied to the installation site to make markings for the external one. Doing it right away is very risky. You can cut off the excess, and then the length of the prefabricated element will not be enough. There will be a noticeable gap. It is easier and faster to perform the actions in the correct sequence. For step-by-step instructions on how to cut the corner of the ceiling plinth with your own hands, see the video.