Gypsum fiber sheet or GVL is actively used in the production of work related to decoration. This material was created later than drywall, so I have not managed to become so popular so far. Gypsum fiber sheets have a special composition that provides them with completely new characteristics of strength and resistance to fire, several times higher than GCR. GVL is considered an indispensable material in the creation of bulk floors, the initial decoration of walls, ceilings, as well as in the process of constructing a variety of boxes.
In the process of working with such valuable material, only one important question arises. how to cut GVL?
Features of gypsum fiber sheets
To understand what and how to cut gypsum fiber, you must first understand the essence of this material. The production of gypsum-fiber sheets, as well as drywall, is carried out from building gypsum, which limits their similarity. GVLV plates differ in such features:
- Dissolving pulp is used as a reinforcing material.
- The material is characterized by absolute uniformity of structure,
- No coating is used on top,
- The material is completely non-combustible,
- The density of the material is higher than that of traditional drywall.
This building material is produced by many companies, but the sheets that are manufactured by Knauf have earned the greatest demand. If we take gypsum plasterboard and gypsum fiber sheets of this company for comparison, we can understand how perfect they are to each other, and when used as finishing materials in the repair process, you can get only a positive effect.
Despite the fact that GVL is an excellent material for the execution of any box, and the walls will be strong and practically fireproof, this material is different in that it can not be bent like drywall. It turns out that it is not suitable for the installation of structures having rounded shapes and complex elements.
The use of gypsum fiber sheet is advisable on the floor, in dry screeds, where there is expanded clay, where they show all their best qualities. When used in the process of constructing a rough floor, you can get an excellent result. The floor elements obtained by bonding a pair of sheets of GVLV with a total thickness of 20 mm, the presence of such useful properties:
Video: How to Cut Gvvv at Home
- They are resistant to stress, that is, they do not break during operation,
- Counteract the penetration of cold,
- Perfect smoothness
- HVL can withstand humidity up to 70%.
What is required to work with GVL?
Typically, craftsmen who independently carry out the preparation and installation of drywall, consider that work with GVL is carried out in a similar way.
However, quite certain troubles await them here. With all the available strength characteristics, gypsum fiber sheets exhibit increased fracture brittleness, therefore, they easily break at the same time. For this reason, gypsum plasterboard sheets do not bend like drywall.
Before cutting GVL, you need to figure out which tools are suitable for this?
So, the tools with which you can cut GVL:
- A sharp construction knife with a thickness of at least 12 mm. Due to the fact that the blades will quickly blunt, they will often need to be changed.
- For GCR there is a special hacksaw, with which you can saw material with virtually no dust.
- The use of an angle grinder or a circular saw is advisable only in conditions of well-ventilated rooms, if only the target really justifies the means. This is a very noisy and dusty way, but of all it is the fastest. If you decide to opt for such an instrument, be sure to use means to protect the respiratory tract and eyes.
- An electric jigsaw with a built-in vacuum cleaner is the most ideal option, especially when using a wood file with a tooth pitch of 4 mm. However, dust and in this case quite a lot is formed, which requires the use of a respirator and goggles.
After you decide what to cut with GVL, you must take care of caution and accuracy when working with these materials. When using a special hacksaw or cutter for work, it is recommended to proceed as follows:
- GVL sheet is marked as it needs to be cut,
- marking line is used to attach a rule or straight line to it,
- With a knife, it is required to draw along the sheet so many times so that a furrow is formed on it with a depth of at least 2/3 of the thickness of the sheet,
- Under the formed line of the cut, put a special rail,
- Further, by means of a sharp upward movement, it is necessary to gently break the sheet.
You can watch the corresponding video before you start cutting.
Gypsum fiber sheets are characterized by the formation of smooth edge edges, so usually there are no problems with joining. If you need a little fit, then you can resort to using a peeling planer. To obtain a fold, a chisel or shoe cutter is best suited. If the scope of work is quite large, it is recommended to use a milling cutter. When using a grooving cutter with a pitch of 3-4 mm, all necessary work can be done in 2-3 approaches.