Recommendations when replacing the clutch on a chainsaw
Most quality chainsaws of famous brands are initially equipped with centrifugal clutch. It stands out for its high reliability, increased working resource and works in automatic mode, that is, it automatically works when the power unit reaches the required rotation speed.
The device of the factory centrifugal mechanism structurally includes durable friction linings, a clutch drum for a chainsaw and returnable steel springs. The friction pads of the mechanism are able to move radially. They are pulled to the crankshaft by springs when the engine is operating at low speed.
At the same time, a regular metal drum is activated, which initially connects to the star of the cutting chain. When a sufficiently high motor speed is set, the force of the built-in springs with respect to the generated centrifugal force is reduced. This causes the springs to press against the inner surface of the drum and actuate it.
This principle of centrifugal clutch has one important advantage. the mechanism automatically slides when the cutting chain is jammed. Thanks to this, the power unit does not stall, but continues to work further.
The centrifugal clutch of the chainsaw clutch works until one of its regular elements fails. The following signs will tell the operator about the breakdown of the mechanism:
- constant rotation of the circuit during unstable operation of the power unit. the main reason for this breakdown is a burst steel spring. To solve the problem, you will need to replace the clutch spring of the chainsaw. It is important to consider the design features of the mechanism. For example, the Stihl brand chainsaw device has 3 springs and the same number of cams, and only 1 spring and 2 cams are integrated in Husqvarna models. If the operator fails to find a new spring, then the entire mechanism will need to be replaced;
- constant rotation of the chain with the formation of extraneous sounds from the clutch side. this occurs when the spring has fallen off and the cam is overheated or damaged. To find the cause of the breakdown, you need to disassemble the clutch. If the fists turn blue, then they are overheated. This is due to constant work with the chainsaw with the inertia brake applied or as a result of operating the tool with a blunt cutting chain. To fix the breakage, you will need to completely replace the clutch;
- frequent slipping of the clutch. the cause of the breakdown is a burst metal spring. To repair a gasoline tool, you will need to replace the entire mechanism.
In each of these cases, it is necessary to disassemble the clutch and inspect all its internal parts. In addition to replacing faulty elements, the operator will also need to thoroughly clean the mechanism from dust and fine sawdust. this will extend the life of the remaining elements of the factory coupling.
To remove the clutch from the chainsaw, the operator needs to adhere to a certain algorithm of actions.
To do this, you need:
- To dismantle the cutting headset by unscrewing 2 fixing screws of the metal guide;
- Remove the upper part of the foam rubber filter housing and remove the clutch cover;
- Block the movement of the crankshaft. To do this, remove the trigger guard cover and screw 2 steel bolts into the standard rotor of the integrated ignition system. Another option is to unscrew the candle and gently lower the standard piston, blocking it there with a skein of tight rope;
- Carefully remove the coupling itself, turning it strictly in the direction of the clock. To do this, the key from the supply of the chainsaw or a homemade tool made from an old tire with two bolts pre-installed on it is suitable;
- Carefully dismantle the drum and the standard drive sprocket. You need to regularly replace the drum after using two guide tires. in the future this rule will reduce the load on the power unit of the chainsaw and extend the life of its piston;
- Install a new coupling and carefully screw it against the clock hands. To do this, the operator must re-lock the crankshaft of the motor;
- For the final fixation of the new ignition, it is necessary to move the handle of the inertial brake forward, start the internal combustion engine of the gas tool and return the handle to the previous position.
Process: how to remove the clutch on a Husqvarna chainsaw, it does not practically differ from the similar one carried out with other gasoline tools. Although the detail of this brand has its own differences. So, you need to inspect it without the slightest reason and doubt, but if you observe a picture when the engine is unstable, and the chain is practically impossible to stop, then this is a clear sign of a cracked spring.
- first, remove the headset, cap, which closes the clutch and air filter;
- do-it-yourself stop the crankshaft from rotation. This can be done with a rope, having determined it in the spark plug hole, at the same time remove the spark plug, and fix the piston in a stationary state. Another option is to remove the starter cap and screw two bolts into the rotor of the ignition mechanism.
- Using the key from the complete set of the chainsaw, we unscrew the clutch, making clockwise movements. Do not be afraid to freely manipulate the key. there is a fairly strong mount on the Husqvarna saw.
- Remove the drum with the sprocket leading.
- We put a new spare part, spinning all the way, but already counterclockwise. The procedure for locking the crankshaft, on the second end of which the starter is located, is important here.
- We assemble in the opposite direction.
- After the manual screwing procedure, the part on the Husqvarna saw must be finally and thoroughly fixed using the chain brake handle. We tilt it as far forward as possible, start the chainsaw, and only then remove it from the brake.
Video: Replacing Rope With Stihl 180
Often, users of the Huskvran chainsaw have a question: when will it be convenient to change the clutch to a new one? Here you can follow the golden rule: after replacing two tires. change it too. As you can see, it’s quite possible to change the old or broken part yourself to a new one. And not so fundamentally, the 137 model you saw popular or more powerful. they have a similar working principle.
Often the owners of the saws are interested in: how to remove the clutch on a Stihl chainsaw, and this need arises when the preventive saw is partitioned, and there are suspicions of breakage of parts. The procedure here is the same as with the Husqvarna saw, but the difference between the Stihl clutch is that in the 180 and 250 models the clutch consists of three sectors (again weights, parts) and three springs that connect them.
- you need to put the saw on its side and remove the circlip with a screwdriver, prying it off, then the washer of the sprocket leading and the sprocket itself;
- we turn off the clutch clockwise and remove it using a hammer and a chisel. The latter must be placed in a certain place so as not to break the part. A light but sharp blow will help remove the element;
- we unscrew the part and change it to a new one, if necessary.
The question of how to remove the clutch on a chainsaw arises as often as the relevance of replacing the part itself. So, on the Saws Partner, Stihl and other varieties of the tool, the coupling is removed in the context of the above procedure. This is done at the stage of fixing the piston in the cylinder, after which the coupling is unscrewed in the clockwise direction.
Clutch release c.
When the chainsaw is idling, the clutch is loaded even if they rotate with the crankshaft, but do not touch the clutch drum (in people. Clutch cups), since they are compressed by the spring and, accordingly, the torque from the engine is not transferred. When the engine speed reaches 4000 rpm, clutch loads are discarded by centrifugal force and rest on the inner surface of the clutch drum on their outer friction surface and begin to rotate, thereby transmitting torque from the engine to the saw set.
In order to remove the clutch from a chainsaw, first of all, you should be careful and careful not to damage anything superfluous.
Perform this operation by the following algorithm:
- Remove the saw bar and chain. To do this, unscrew the chain hand brake by pulling the handle towards you. Then dismantle the tire, remove dirt.
- Remove the covers from the air filter and clutch.
- Block the crankshaft. This is a mandatory procedure to avoid rotation during operation. To do this, unscrew the spark plug, fix the piston at the bottom dead center and thread the rope through the spark plug hole.
- Using a special key, remove the clutch. You need to unscrew it clockwise, since it usually has a left-hand thread.
- Replace damaged parts. To assemble the clutch of the chainsaw should be in the reverse order in which the analysis was carried out.
Chainsaw Clutch Failure Symptoms
Do-it-yourself chainsaw clutch repairs are carried out only in special protective clothing: a mask and glasses.
Main malfunctions, their causes and solutions:
- If the chain mechanism constantly rotates during unstable operation of the power unit. This may be caused by a failed spring. In this case, it is recommended to replace the damaged mechanism with a new one.
- Extraneous noise is heard while moving the chain. This problem may be due to overheating of the fist or a bursting spring. It is necessary to conduct an external inspection of the system and replace all worn-out elements.
- If the breakdown is due to the fact that the coupling device often slips, the mechanism must be completely replaced.
How to change a star on a Partner?
In order to replace this mechanism, it is necessary to dismantle the old coupling device. During the repair work, the saw must be firmly fixed on a non-slip surface using special devices.
During the dismantling and installation of the clutch, it is recommended to take into account the following nuances of such work:
- On some modifications of the tool, a washer is located between the coupling device and the drive gear cup. Therefore, at the end of the repair, it is necessary to install this element in place.
- Some oil wires have a special spring. It is mounted between the sprocket and the oil pump drive. It also needs to be correctly installed after replacing the coupling mechanism.
How to take off
In order to remove and disassemble the clutch, you need to install the chainsaw on a flat, non-slip surface and fix it with fixing elements.
First you need to unscrew the saw chain and the bar using a universal key. After that, you can remove the cover from the air filter element. Then you need to remove the spark plugs, and fix the piston part in the master cylinder.
After this, install a suitable puller and unscrew the clutch.
After the actions taken, remove the clutch drum on the chainsaw and clutch. At the end, you can conduct an external inspection of the system for damage and defects and, if necessary, replace failed parts with new ones.
How to assemble
In order to assemble the mechanism back, it is necessary to replace the coupling and fix it by means of a special handle. The saw motor must be turned off at this moment.
Then you can replace the spring device, drum mechanism and sprockets.
Then you can install the clutch mechanism back into the tool body, remove the crankshaft from the stopper, install the filtering mechanisms, the throttle and the step together with the chain in place.
At the end of the work, it is recommended to start the chainsaw and check the operation of the assembled clutch. If all parts are installed correctly, the clutch will work immediately, there will be no delays and leaks.
The video will help to change the leading sprocket on the Partner chainsaw, we will show how to quickly and easily remove the chain link.
How to increase the working life of the coupling?
To avoid unplanned repairs, the gas saw operator must adhere to certain recommendations. They will help to extend the life of the clutch of a chain chainsaw and protect it from damage to the main active elements.
These recommendations include:
- regular lubrication of coupling parts;
- timely cleaning of the mechanism of dust and dried oil;
- operation of a chainsaw only with a fully functional tire and a quality sharpened chain;
- Avoid getting the installed cutting headset on solid metal objects.
Increased clutch wear on the chainsaw is due to improperly installed brake levers. To avoid further damage, the operator must constantly check the lever, preventing the chain from rotating when the inertia brake is applied.