The recently appeared floor material 600×600 porcelain tile has gained great popularity due to its high technical characteristics. First of all, it was decided to dwell on samples of tiles under granite 600×600 mm, which are most in demand.
Porcelain tile 60×60 cm is the most popular tile format
Porcelain tile for a floor 600х600
We came up with this wonderful coating in Italy recently, but it is already firmly occupying a niche in the construction market. The popularity of the material is due to the following technical characteristics:
- Wear resistance. It is difficult to scratch, tolerates the effects of chemicals.
- Does not respond to temperature changes. This is achieved due to the low degree of absorption of water, as a result of which, when the temperature changes, there is no change in linear dimensions.
- Durability. Such coverage will last several decades.
- Does not accumulate static electricity. This property prevents dust from accumulating.
Blue glazed porcelain tiles 60 by 60 cm will look great in any interior
- Decorative and a wide selection of colors: blue, red, green, etc. Multi-colored pigments are applied to the surface. There are models with beautiful imitation of other types of materials: wood, stone and others.
- Easy styling.
Attention! Porcelain tile 600×600 is a durable material due to its special manufacturing technology. Clay, metal oxide, feldspar and kaolin are sintered under the influence of high temperatures and pressure, due to which the strength is comparable to natural stone.
Porcelain tile 600×600 mm: application
The functionality of the tiles is usually determined by the shapes. The dimensions of the coating are of great importance, and 6060cm porcelain tile is most in demand, because its dimensions allow to clad any area.
600×600 mm tiles are found in the following cases:
- Facade cladding;
- cladding staircases, flooring, which are subjected to significant loads;
- interior wall decoration.
Porcelain tiles of a square shape with a side of 60 centimeters are used for any purpose in construction. The color scheme of the tiles is diverse. This size greatly increases productivity, and the surface covered with such tiles will seem holistic. Such a cladding will look especially great on large facade surfaces or in public rooms.
600×600 porcelain stoneware is quite difficult to cut, so in order not to complicate the laying process, buy a finer tile, which is used in conjunction with porcelain stoneware for floor 60 by 60 cm.
To make the formed surface seamless during laying, cuts with a diamond disk are made at the edges of the tiles. This process is called rectification.
What is the optimal thickness of porcelain tiles with sizes of 600×600?
600×600 tile has a rather variable thickness. from 7 to 15 mm. Usually use a universal thickness of 10 millimeters. But the choice of thickness depends on the goals:
- For not very busy surfaces (wall decoration) tiles up to 10 mm are used.
- Floor tiles 600×600 porcelain stoneware should have a more solid structure and material, it is recommended to choose a thickness of 12 mm. The final thickness is selected from patency. In public places they use the thickest modules for granite 600×600, because under the influence of intense loads they can quickly fail.
Video: How to Cut Porcelain Tiles 10 Mm
What determines the thickness? First of all, the structure affects the thickness of the material. When using tiles of different textures, the interior design will vary. Depending on the surface coverage of the tile, the following varieties are distinguished:
- Homogeneous. Such modules for granite 600×600 are completely painted over, they are a classic option where the pigment used in the mass of tiles under granite is 60×60 cm. Thanks to the paint contained in the entire thickness, 600×600 ceramic tile retains its color. Even with uneven abrasion, this will not be noticeable.
- Partially painted. Usually these are two layers: a substrate and a pigment. The substrate is made in a classic light color and contains dark specks (they call this gamut “salt-pepper”). The top layer is painted. This type is cheaper because paint is used economically.
- Glazed. Similar to ordinary 60×60 floor tiles, but have improved qualities.
The appearance of the tiles
Tiles made of pressed ceramics and granite have a different appearance:
- Matte surface without additional processing.
- A polished surface with a specular gloss that is obtained by abrasive treatment. Abrasive treatment affects wear resistance, so masticants are used to give additional protection.
- Satin finish. There is a soft sheen, while wear resistance does not deteriorate (use salt treatment before firing).
- A structured look created by special forms under press pressure. In a similar way create a texture of wood or notches for anti-slip.
Attention! From the choice of sizes of porcelain stoneware, the laying method can vary. This is mainly manifested in the use of solid or cropped tiles around the perimeter of the walls.
Some pressing questions on the installation of porcelain stoneware 60 60 cm
When laying ceramic tiles 600 to 600, a number of questions arise that everyone will ask when they meet this task. Below are blitz answers to them.
The comb will determine the consumption of glue and the reliability of fixation
Comb: which size is optimal? 6, 8 or 10 mm?
For large tiles, combs of 6 or 8 millimeters will be very small. You can use 10 mm if the amount of work is small. But it is best to use 12 mm.
When laying a regular tile, it is advised to moisten it with water, but is it necessary to do this when laying porcelain stoneware 60 x 60 cm tile?
This is absolutely not necessary for tiles, because many modern adhesives already have good adhesion. And in the case of a 600×600 mm granite coating that does not absorb water at all, it makes no sense.
Mixture consumption for grouting, depending on the width of the seam
What seam to leave?
The size of the seam is determined by everyone personally, while you need to take into account how a 600×600 mm tile will look. If it is an imitation of wood, then even laying without seams is possible. But when simulating natural stone, a seam of 3 cm will look original.
How to cut tiles for granite 600×600 mm: is a tile cutter suitable?
Using a tile cutter can not always give a positive result with porcelain stoneware. If only the tool is really high-quality, but they cost even more than the simplest electric tile cutters.
Is it necessary to prime the laying surface, and if so, which one to use?
Priming is necessary, while any type of soil for the subfloor is suitable, with the exception of Concrete Contact.
What glue to use?
Almost all flooring manufacturers produce glue for their products. There are special adhesives for granite, it is also allowed to use the composition of large-format tile glue. It all depends on the price and quality of the mixture. Recommended quality formulations. Ceresit or Vetonit.
How many tiles do you need per square meter?
The consumption is calculated quite simply. the 600×600 tile has an area of 0.36 m2. This means that three tiles cover a little more than 1 square meter. But do not consider the expense in this format. It is worth considering the peculiarity of the layout, how many solid tiles will be needed and how many are cut. For this, a scheme is drawn up.
How to lay porcelain tiles with dimensions of 600 by 600 millimeters correctly, look at the video: