Layout and cutting of polycarbonate sheet begins with preparation of the workplace. It is important that perfect cleanliness is maintained on the working surface, as the surface of the canvas can damage and scratch even a tiny pebble. Then follow these simple rules:
- DO NOT remove the protective film from the sheets ahead of time. On it with a marker or felt-tip pen, mowing lines are easily marked. The film will protect the surface from mechanical stress during operation.
- Put the letter on the work surface, use a marker to transfer the dimensions of the required part to it according to the drawing.
- After applying the markings again, make sure that it is applied correctly and use the tool of your choice to start cutting the letter.
- When cutting with a power tool, the panel must be securely fastened to avoid vibration. Before starting cutting polycarbonate, prepare the workplace
The jigsaw will do a great job, We cut both straight mowing lines and other complex configurations. The main task. Choose the right file for cutting:
- For cutting cellular polycarbonate, it is better to purchase pollen with straight teeth. It crumbles less material and makes the cut as smooth as possible.
- Choose saws with fine and fine teeth. For cutting cellular polycarbonate, saws with TP marking (from 9 or more teeth per 1 inch) are suitable.
- Give preference to the canvas that is of high quality and is suitable for working with metal-plastic.
Spraying polycarbonate sheets with a jigsaw requires experience, one should practice on small letters of material
The basic rules when working with a jigsaw are as follows (before work, we advise you to practice on the remnants of the material):
- The work table is ready for use, the corresponding blade is inserted and securely locked in the jigsaw. For convenience, make a small notch on the polycarbonate sheet with a knife.
- Turn on the tool, wait until it picks up speed, and bring the blade to the notch, slowly guiding the machine forward. When pressing the tool, make sure that the polycarbonate letter does NOT bend.
- When working with large sheets of material, it is better to use the services of an assistant. It will hold the polycarbonate instead of letting the sheet vibrate. Working with long canvases can be divided into two stages: first, go to the middle of the cut, and then, from the opposite side, repeat the movement towards.
- After finishing work with the jigsaw Do all the steps that are described above when working with an angle grinder.
Beginners should do a lot of practice before using a hacksaw to cut polycarbonate. Without experience, sheets tend to crack along the mowing line of the cut and lead to large losses of material. Here it is important to correctly and competently secure the letter, did not allow excessive stress and vibration.
Dusts polycarbonate sheets with a hacksaw. A very difficult task, as it has a number of nuances
How to cut polycarbonate without help
From this you will learn how to spray polycarbonate without assistance.
Polycarbonate also differs in that it is very convenient and easy to work with. Even a beginner at home can handle cutting this material. We offer some tips that will help you cope with cutting correctly and without losses:
- When making straight small cuts of a blade with a thickness of 4-6 mm, a sharp construction knife will do. It is better to cut on straight long lines with an angle grinder. Rounded parts are cut with a jigsaw.
- Always wear personal protective equipment when working with power tools. Wear goggles that protect your eyes from fine dust. Rubber gloves protect against accidental electric shock.
- If necessary, apply markings on large sheets of polycarbonate, lay long boards on top that extend beyond the sheet. You can move along them like on a bridge, and do not cause harm in the form of dents.
- After finishing work Remove the protective film, blow through all the processed seams on the received parts with an electric pump to get rid of dust, and cover them with special protective profiles. DO NOT remove the film from the polycarbonate sheets while cutting
The angle grinder is convenient for sawing large lengths of polycarbonate sheets. We recommend using cutting wheels for metal (better for working with aluminum). On the desktop, place several wooden supports along the edges, put a sheet on them.
The angle grinder is ideal for cutting long polycarbonate sheets
Rules for working with an angle grinder:
- Before we start cutting, let’s try the tool on a small unnecessary trim of polycarbonate. Such repetition especially needed for beginners.
- Do not forget in personal protective equipment.
- Turn on the machine, set it to the minimum rotation speed, and match the cut-off wheel with the starting point of cutting at the edge of the sheet.
- Slowly and confidently start the circle forward on the intended line of the mowing line. During cutting, DO NOT get distracted and constantly monitor the alignment of the mowing line of the cut with the markings.
- Turn off the angle grinder after cutting. Sand the edges of the cellular polycarbonate with sandpaper, then blow with a vacuum cleaner to remove dust. Remove the protective film by gluing the ends with tape.
A household, most ordinary electric jigsaw is also quite suitable for working with polycarbonate letters, only you need to install a file with fine teeth on it, otherwise the material will tear, not cut. This tool, like the angle grinder, is quite easy to use, but in order to be completely confident in the quality of work, it is advisable to also practice in advance. An electric jigsaw is very much in demand, especially when you have to cut monolithic polycarbonate of complex decorative shapes or do it by rounding.
When you only need to cut one letter. The risk of cracking increases significantly. To prevent damage to the material, you need to work only with a very well sharpened tool. There are craftsmen who, when working with polycarbonate, use scissors. This is also perfectly acceptable. The main thing. So that the tool used does NOT break the structure of the canvases.
In addition to the listed methods, you can also cut with a laser. But, to work with the laser machine, you need to have the Appropriate skills. In addition, not every craftsman has such a tool, therefore, laser cutting of polycarbonate is available only to those who deal with polycarbonate professionally. But, if there is an opportunity to perform the work with a laser, you must definitely use it, since this guarantees:
- High speed of work;
- No defects;
- Excellent cutting quality;
- Cutting accuracy: when working with a laser, the dimensional accuracy is maintained up to 0.05 mm;
- When working, it is not necessary to fix sheets.
Any cutting material intended for work on metal or wood can be applied to the blades of solid polycarbonate, even a standard cutter for metal.
The very first tool that almost everyone has and that can work with polycarbonate. This is an angle grinder. over. Using an expensive tool is not at all necessary: even an inexpensive and small angle grinder will do the job perfectly. To make even cuts, you need to set the circle 125, intended for metal. The only thing you need to Pay attention to. This is an experience, since the tool is distinguished by high revolutions, and if you have NOT had to work with it before. It is advisable to practice cutting from this material before cutting polycarbonate. Where can I get them? Contact the craftsmen who are engaged in the manufacture of polycarbonate structures.
How and how to cut polycarbonate at home?
Cloths of polymer plastic, more familiar to everyone under the name polycarbonate, are becoming more and more popular every day. It is no coincidence: the relative cheapness and excellent properties of the material brought it to one of the first places in sales. It is also of great importance that almost anyone can work with it, if there is a desire. But since this is a new material, not everyone knows. How to cut polycarbonate correctly and how to cut it at home in order to get a high-quality cut and NOT spoil the material.
Perfectly cuts polymer plastic canvases and a stationery knife. over, even beginners can cope with this. The main thing is that the knife is of good quality, and the work is not done in a hurry. The blade of such tools is very sharp and it is impossible not only to make an incorrect cut, but also to get seriously injured. The stationery knife is suitable for honeycomb sheets with a thickness of 4-6 mm, but with 8 mm it is already quite difficult to work with. On thicker sheets, cutting polycarbonate is almost impossible, therefore, experts recommend using a knife only where it is necessary to trim the material, and even then, on leaves up to 10 mm.
Beginners are usually interested in: is it possible to cut and how to cut cellular polycarbonate with a hacksaw or a hand saw? In the event that there is no experience, it is advisable NOT to use these tools: the canvases along the cuts may crack. Work best with power tools. But both beginners and experienced professionals need to fix polycarbonate sheets well so as not to allow vibration and stress in the material, which is also fraught with bad consequences.
First of all, you should prepare a design project by calculating the dimensions of each glazing element. It is recommended to take into account the dimensions of the material (they are standard) in order to minimize the amount of waste. If the elements are curved, prepare the appropriate patterns from thick paper or cardboard. When preparing material for an arched greenhouse, special attention is paid to end elements with a semicircular top.
Preparation and markup:
- The site where it is planned to cut polycarbonate plates is cleaned of debris, leveled, covered with sheet material. Plywood, chipboard, etc.
- A polycarbonate sheet is placed on a flat solid surface, if the material has a special layer that protects the material from aging under the influence of UV rays, pay attention to the side markings. The letter should lie with the protective layer facing up. Material with a mirror or laminated coating is laid similarly. The film that protects polycarbonate from mechanical stress during transportation and fastening, and is not removed until the end of installation work. Protective film on the sheet
- Marking according to the project, using a black marker and a metal (or wooden) ruler, tape measure, ready-made cardboard patterns.
In order not to damage the letter of polycarbonate of a large area during the marking, the floor is laid with a board with a width of 100 mm and a length of about 2 thousand mm, and only step on it. This eliminates the risk of material deformation, scratches on the surface.
For the convenience of cutting polycarbonate to size, and in order not to damage the surface of the material, on both sides of the mowing line, the cut is placed under the polycarbonate two parallel boards 40 × one hundred × 2200 mm. They must lift the panel up in the area where it will be cut. Using a board backing
Using a hacksaw for metal
A hacksaw equipped with a blade with fine, dense teeth will help you cut a straight strip of polycarbonate, cutting the letter lengthwise or across. Elements of complex outlines cannot be cut with this tool.
Hacksaw for metal
When planning cutting polycarbonate at home using a hacksaw, pay attention to the following point: in order for the cutting line to be as even as possible, it is necessary to firmly fix the panel. Clamps and boards are recommended. The hacksaw blade is placed at an angle of about 30 degrees. The panel is dusting towards itself.
With a hacksaw, you can cut polycarbonate for a pitched roof greenhouse, since the tool only cuts material in a straight line. A jigsaw will help to cut the semicircular end elements of arched structures.
Cutting angle grinder
To cut polycarbonate with an angle grinder, they use circles designed for cutting metal. To cut the panel with an angle grinder, and not being afraid to melt the edges of the polymer material, will help:
- Using a cut-off wheel for working with aluminum (it heats up less with friction)
- Using an angle grinder with a speed controller (work should be carried out at low speeds, this also reduces the risk of burrs).
Cutting disc for aluminum Ø 125 mm
It is convenient to cut monolithic polycarbonate and honeycomb panels with an angle grinder, including along a curved path. Always use safety goggles to protect your eyes from flying chips.
Turned on the power tool, you should wait until it picks up the required rotation speed. We cut the sheet material, move the angle grinder away from you along the cutting line for cutting. When cutting the panel along the ribs, hold the tool so that the blade goes in a straight line, and not touching the stiffeners.
Cutting polycarbonate with an angle grinder (angle grinder)
At the end of the work, check the evenness of the cuts, remove the chips and dust trapped in the cells using a blower or vacuum cleaner.
How and how to cut cellular and monolithic polycarbonate at home
Polycarbonate is widely used as a reliable and practical translucent material for decorative glazing of construction sites and other structures, for installing canopies and roofs, arranging greenhouses and greenhouses. Monolithic and honeycomb material lends itself to processing with ordinary tools, which increases its popularity among owners of estates and summer cottages. Before building a carport, a gazebo roof or a greenhouse, it is important to figure out how to cut polycarbonate at home so as not to damage the material.
Cutting Tools for Polycarbonate Sheets
The most suitable tool for cutting polycarbonate into complex shapes. Electric jigsaw. A tool equipped with a thin file is safer and more convenient to use in comparison with an angle grinder and circular saw, while the speed and labor intensity of cutting is significantly different for the better when working with a knife. It is allowed to cut monolithic and cellular polycarbonate with an electric jigsaw.
Using a jigsaw for cutting
When choosing a saw, pay attention to the shape of the teeth. The set tines are intended for wood, they will tear the polycarbonate, making the cut edges defective. To make cuts with straight edges without burrs or cracks, use a saw with fine, straight or wavy teeth.
For cutting a monolith or honeycomb panel made of polycarbonate, a saw for metal, plexiglass or plastic with a TPI (number of teeth per inch) of at least 9 is ideal. Best of all. 13 and more. The more teeth, the better the cut quality.
Acrylic Saw for Cutting Polycarbonate
For work, a sharp new blade is required. It must be properly seated in the tool and adjusted, otherwise there will be a lot of burrs and notches at the edges when cutting the material.
- The jigsaw is connected to the network and brought to the start of cutting at the end of the sheet. Previously, notches are made there with a sharp knife.
- The base plate of the power tool is lowered onto the sheet and pressed. In this case, it is impossible to strongly press, bending the material. It is recommended to pre-rigidly fix the panel to be cut with clamps or invite assistants Fix polycarbonate, dampens its vibration during cutting.
- The jigsaw is turned on, the saw is given the desired speed. Then carefully guide the tool away from you along the cut line. It is important to move slowly, taking special care when cutting the panel in curved sections. It is recommended to practice in advance on unnecessary material in order to confidently perform curvilinear cuts.
- At the end of the cut, the tool is turned off and unplugged. Cut off element Cleaned with a construction knife from irregularities, remove chips and dust.
Cutting cellular polycarbonate and monolithic panels with a laser requires the use of high-precision equipment. The advantages of the technology include the minimum cutting error (no more than 0.5 mm) and the perfect cut edges without burrs. The method is suitable for the serial production of greenhouse glazing, as well as other building and decorative elements from translucent polymer. Working with laser equipment requires professionalism.
Application of laser cutting
An angle grinder, like a knife, cuts polycarbonate well along a straight mowing line or along a mowing line with a large radius of curvature. In the second cases, the cutting disc gets stuck between the halves of the blade, and the cut is torn.
To get a smooth, NOT melted edge, the tool is used at low speeds, with a blade for cutting aluminum or concrete. It easily handles any kind of material and any thickness.
The letter is prepared for spraying by placing thick boards under it on both sides of the cut mowing line. They will provide the necessary clearance between the base and the polycarbonate lying on it, allowing the disc to move in free space.
You can move the cutting line a little further than the edge of the flooring, but then the hanging side of the blade must be held securely, for which you will need the help of a partner. If you do not do this, light material will vibrate, and not allowing to Get an even cut.
Before cutting solid polycarbonate at home, turn on the angle grinder and allow the engine to reach the rated speed. Only after that, the cutting wheel is brought to the edge farthest from itself, cut through it and, having deepened the disc, slowly lead it towards itself along the cutting line of the cut.
How to fix polycarbonate correctly is shown in thes:
You can also use a woodworking machine, installed the desired disk in it. This is exactly what the master did in the following:
How to cut polycarbonate at home: all methods and rules for cutting
If you can use a whole arsenal of different tools for direct cutting, then how to cut cellular polycarbonate or a thick monolithic sheet in a circle or other curly mowing line remains a question. An electric jigsaw is most suitable for this job, since its thin saw freely goes through any bends and does NOT wedge between the blades.
But the saw is not suitable for your favorite, but only with small and frequent teeth, and not spread apart, but located in the same plane. Adjustable large tines perfectly cut wood, the structure of which is very different from plastic. This saw will tear it, and instead of a clean cut, you get a jagged edge.
- After marking the canvas, it is laid on supports made of boards to provide a gap under the cut line and reduce vibration. If the line is curved, the canvas will have to periodically shift, temporarily stopping work.
- Suitable pollen, preferably new, is installed in the jigsaw and well fixed to avoid vibration.
- On the edge of the polycarbonate at the beginning of the mowing line, the cut is made with a sharp knife a notch.
- After turning on the tool, the pollen is injected into the notch strictly vertically so that the base plates of the jigsaw are tightly pressed against the surface of the sheet.
- Holding the tool in this position and trying not to press strongly on the canvas so as not to bend it, they lead the cut along the mowing line, moving forward.
If the material is thin, and you need several of the same parts, you can fasten several sheets at once with clamps, placing thick cardboard under the sponges, and cut the entire stack. Serrations and other irregularities can be cut with a sharp knife.
The technology of cutting polycarbonate with a knife perfectly demonstrates:
On our website you can find contacts of construction companies that specialize in the design and installation of winter gardens for a private house. You can communicate directly with representatives by visiting the exhibition of houses Low Rise Country.
As you can see, straight cuts with a knife along the rail are quick and easy; any other tool will take more time. But if you need to obtain curly elements or process thicker canvases, it is better to choose another method.
However, answering the question, the better to cut polycarbonate for an arch-type greenhouse, experts also recommend a knife. To do this, the assembled frame of the end part is laid under the polycarbonate letter, align it along the straight lower edge of the canvas and cut out an arch, presses the blade against the arc.