Than and how to cut porcelain border at home
Unlike ceramic tiles, cutting porcelain tile is not so simple, especially at home. The problem is that it is much more firm and dense material. What tools can be used to solve this problem? Below we will consider how you can cut a porcelain tile using manual tools or electric devices.
Porcelain stoneware is made in industrial conditions from mineral crumbs and various additives by double pressing and high.temperature firing. The result is a heavy and dense finishing material with a low level of porosity. All these characteristics provide him with very high strength and duration of operation, but, on the other hand, create difficulties for processing porcelain tiles. In addition, the surface of the material often has a texture to achieve anti.slip properties and decorativeness. This is an additional test for a hand tool, since many manual tools for cutting ceramics and glass are able to cope with smooth materials of the middle plane.
Ceramic tiles, on the contrary, are often smooth, thinner and lighter, with an average level of porosity. It breaks easier, tolerates mechanical loads worse, but it is easier to cut it when laying. Thus, cutting porcelain tiles is much more difficult than tiles, and not all tools are suitable for this.
Tools for cutting porcelain tiles
Obviously, it is better to use specially designed tools for cutting porcelain tiles. But there is not always such an opportunity, especially if you need to perform a limited volume of work and buy electric tile cutter for especially durable materials is inappropriate.
For cutting porcelain tiles for household purposes, cutting elements with diamond spraying are suitable. The optimal solution is diamond wheels for corner grinding or electric stump.cutter. It is very difficult to achieve a neat cut line with manual tools.
Below we will consider suitable tools. from the simplest to more complex specialized devices.
This is the easiest manual tool, but, unfortunately, not very suitable for porcelain tiles. He copes well with glass and ceramics with a thickness of not more than 10 mm, but does not cut thick and dense materials.
The tool consists of a diamond cutter, winning or a special alloy fixed on the handle. The edge when cutting porcelain tile glasses is usually uneven, so glass cutter is not recommended in cases where it is important to get a neat cut.
The glass cutter will not be able to cut a large amount of porcelain tile, it can only be used if you need to cut one or two non.thick tiles of porcelain tiles in a straight line.
Manual tile cutter
This is a special mechanical tile cut. The design of manual tile cutter includes a carbide cutter, lever mechanism and guides. The built.in square allows you to accurately measure the tile and choose the desired angle of the cut, and a special platform helps to move the material evenly along the cut line. The tool is suitable mainly for working with ceramic tiles, as well as porcelain tiles of small thickness.
There are devices of various modifications:
When choosing a tile cutter for porcelain tile, it is extremely important to focus on the quality of its cutting surface, materials from which a lever, moving nodes, a platform is made. Models of the lower price segment from dubious manufacturers are unlikely to cope with dense and thick porcelain tiles and quickly become unusable.
Electric tile cutter
A specialized electric drive device for flat and quick cutting of tiles and porcelain tile during repair and final work. As a cutting element, a diamond disk is used. Cutting is carried out in a wet method. the water is supplied from the hose from above or poured into the tank under the statin. The liquid provides high.quality diluting and cooling of the cutting element.
Corner grinder (angular grinder)
If necessary, porcelain tile can be cut with a hand.made hand.grinder of low power. For cutting porcelain tiles, you need to choose a disk for an angle grinding machine with diamond spraying. Cacks for concrete and stone for this purpose are unsuitable. Suitable as continuous diamond discs for wet cutting, which are periodically moistened with water for cooling, and segment. The optimal disk thickness for this type of work is about 2 mm.
Used tools and methods of cutting
How to cut tiles at home, have its own characteristics. Basically, they are due to the fact that professional electric tile cutter is not available for repairmen due to high cost. However, for the tasks of cutting, you can use glass cutter, a corner grinder, and even a jigsaw. Each type of tool allows you to realize its cutting method. We will tell you more about this.
Manual glass cutter
Piece cutting of ceramic tiles can be performed by ordinary glass cutter. This is a cheap manual tool that many have.
Here’s how to cut off the tile, if you use glass cutter:
- It should be noted a fishing line for a trimmer of cut using a construction pencil or marker, best of all from the inside;
- It should be fixed by applying a flat ruler to the cut line;
- Now you can cut: for this, glass cutter is held as an ordinary handle and drawn along the line sharply, once;
- Then, under the material on a fishing line for a trimmer, a head.up is placed and pressed on both sides: after that, the tile is broken down.
It is important to choose the right type of glass cutter, taking into account how thick the tiles you plan to cut. The standard roller model is suitable for thickness up to 10 mm. If you need to cut a tile with a thickness of 10-12 mm, you need to choose an oil model. And diamond glass cutter copes well with ceramics up to 6 mm thick.
In any case, such a cutting of tiles will require finalization of the seam, since it will turn out with protrusions and roughnesses. The surface will need to be finalized with sandpaper.
Angular grinder or corner grinder
On the question of “how to cut a ceramic house tile” among different tools, of course, leads a corner grinder or corner grinder leads. This method is suitable for crooked and even lines. The most convenient will be a small angular grinder, with a diameter of 125 mm. It can be held in your hands for quite some time, that is, it becomes possible to do work on trimming for a long time. In addition, such a cutting tool is cheaper.
The power of the corner grinder for such work does not matter. But you will need a special diamond circle or cutting on stone, always the one that is suitable for dry cutting. It is also important to take care of your own protection: you need to use gloves and glasses, as well as a respirator. The fact is that when the corner grinder is constantly formed, a large amount of dust is constantly formed, and pieces can fly out over long distances, and this is injured. If figured cutting is planned, it is better to use a clamp or a vice in which you can fix the tile. A special “slider” type can also be put on the corner grinder: this is a special device with a supporting surface, which serves as an emphasis for the tile and prevents it from moving.
Here’s how to cut the tile with a corner grinder: first you need to make a mark, and then go through it several times, deepening at one pass to 3 mm. If we are talking about small segments, up to 20 mm, then you can cut at all the thickness immediately. You can also cut from the front and from the back, 3 mm for each pass. This will preserve the front surface of the intact.
It is also important to avoid chips. To do this, the disk is kept a little at an angle, so that there is no 90 degrees between it and the surface of the tile. This approach to cutting greatly simplifies subsequent refinement. Also if you choose a slider nozzle, then grinding chips will have to be less.
Cutting porcelain tiles with a corner grinder is also possible. But in this case, you need to choose circles intended not for dry, but for wet cut. It is possible to organize the supply of water to the working area as follows: you need to take an ordinary plastic bottle and pierce the hole in the cork. From it it will be possible to serve water to the disk during operation. Porcelain tiles often do not require finalization after cutting. Roughness in this dense material remain only in the lower part.
When they ask how to cut the tiles, they choose either a corner grinder or a tile cutter. But the electrician is “underestimated”. It provides a fairly high speed of cut, only you need to use a special saw on stone.
Typically, any wall tile is sawn well. for example, for the bathroom. With the help of a jigsaw, you can make a flat or curved incision with a large radius. It also suits it in cases where you need to cut the hole.
In the implementation of such work, the following is important:
- The pendulum course of the electrician must be disabled, as it reduces the quality of the cut too much;
- A saw on stone is selected, but if we are talking about floor material (increased density), then you need to choose a tool with diamond spraying;
- The marking on the surface is applied with a marker;
- Tiles for cutting must be placed on a stool or on the table, that is, on a flat horizontal surface, and you can hold your hand;
- The jigsaw during work is carried out in the direction of “from itself”;
- After cutting the edges of the tiles are grinded.
Manual tile cutter
Compared with glass cutter, then this is a more progressive and convenient tool. It was created specifically to cut ceramic tiles, not only wall, but also floor. Also, with its help, you can cut porcelain tiles, although it will be more difficult. The thickness of the cut material here can be up to 40 mm.
Curved lines using such a tool are not executed. But they can make straight, angular or diagonal.
Using a manual tile cutter should be like this:
- Marking is performed on the front surface;
- The processed material is fixed directly in the tile cutter: this tool already has rubber anti.slip lobs;
- The incision is made in one pass, while significant physical efforts are not required: it is enough to take the handle, install the roller cutter and draw a video forward;
- After that, the pen will go to the fracture position: the foot presses on the tile and it split along the groove made;
- The resulting seam will be even, neat and practically does not require improvement.
It is worth considering that domestic inexpensive tiles are made on bushings, and professional, suitable for large volumes, are made with bearings. The instrument of the prof-class has a large resource of strength and makes a more accurate pure cut.
How can you cut a round hole in the tile
If everything is relatively simple with a linear reza, that is, you can choose almost any tool, then preparing a round hole often causes difficulties. So, how to cut off the tile, if you need to make a round recess? Here you need any tool that can rotate. For example, it can be a drill, peorator or electric screwdriver. It is important that there is an opportunity to set the rotation speed up to 500 rpm.
Drilling nozzles are selected depending on the dimensions of the hole that you need to get:
- If the diameter is from 15 to 30 mm, then you can use the drills: they can be spear.shaped (cheaper), with carbide attacks or special sharpening (they cost more, but give the best result);
- If the diameter of the hole is from 20 to 50 mm, then it is best to use a special crown with diamond, carbide-wolframa or corundum attacks;
- If the diameter is more than 50 mm, then you can use the corner grinder, but you need to have a skill.
Work with glass cutter
The easiest, cheapest and easiest tool for processing ceramic products is glass cutter. It can be of two types: with a small diameter roller and with a diamond tip. There are practically no special differences between them, however, the first tool is more convenient to operate. In addition, cutting tiles with glass cutter does not differ from glass cutting.
Consider step.by.step instructions for working with this tool:
- Firstly, before cutting the tiles with glass cutter, you need to accurately mark the fishing line for the trimmer of the cut with the erased marker or pencil on its glossy side. For this, it is also desirable to use corners or metal ruler. Having put a ruler along the line, you need to draw a glass cutter only once from the far edge of the ceramic product to yourself. over, trying to distribute the strength as evenly as possible when pressing the tool. Thus, you will get an absolutely flat fishing line for a trimmer. a recess that weakens the strength of the canvas.
- Secondly, you need to place the tile on the table so that the fishing line for the trimmer of the incision on the product and the edge of the table completely match. Further, gently holding part of the tiles on the table, you need to press on its other edge: the product will break softly and accurately. The edges after all work can be treated with sandpaper.
How to cut with hand tiles?
This tool is used only for the production of light straight cuts. You can cut the tiles either evenly, or diagonally. In this case, the direction does not matter. This equipment is very easy to use. At the same time, before cutting tiles with a tile, it is necessary to have general ideas about its structure. The tool is a reason where special tubular runners are fixed. A carriage with a solid alloy roller glides along them. The tile after applying the marking in a necessary way is laid on this base.
Here are the main recommendations for the operation of this tool:
- It is necessary to apply a video to the tile and, through a special handle, make a neat cut. In this case, only one cut is needed. Do not cut the same place two or three times. The result will be deplorable. the material will break completely differently as necessary. It is precisely because of this that you need to carefully monitor the severity of the cutting device. It is removable on specialized professional models, therefore, if necessary, a dull video can be easily changed.
- It is worth noting that in order to obtain high.quality tiles when working with such a tool, you must also be able to correctly break the material. Based on the equipment along the course of the cut, a small tubercle is provided, lifting the edge of the ceramic product clearly above the rez and then releasing its ends. It is thanks to this that the tubercle, along with the slot on the tile, acts as a guide for the breakup. In addition, the product also breaks with the help of a mobile T-shaped heel, which is located in front of the video. This heel should be installed exactly in the middle of the cut, so that in the process of pressing the lever it presses on the canvas. Also, this tile cutter can be cut diagonally.
Working with a manual tool carries less risks than cutting with a corner grinder or electric stump.cutter, however, you need to adhere to a number of rules:
- The workplace should be even and stable.
- Good lighting is important.
- It is recommended to use gloves.
- The use of protective construction glasses will help eliminate the risk of injuries from tile fragments when breaking it.
Other tile cutting tools
You can cut off the tile without tile cutter using: hand glass cutter, electric cutter, hand.lobby, angle grinding machine (corner grinder), penetrator, drill, screwdriver, ring saw (crown). Let us consider in detail some of them:
Cracking of ceramics on slices for mosaics. This unpretentious type of “cutting” has many advantages. The mosaic will help create the uniqueness of the decor, realize your creative impulses with a minimum of expenses, and the remains of unnecessary or chopped tiles will be destroyed instead of disposal.
We lay ceramics on one part of the canvas, cover with the second half and apply light blows from above. Do not be zealous, otherwise it will turn out too small pieces.
Cutting tiles with glass cutter. One of the most budget options. You will need:
- glass cutter;
- Marker or pencil.
- Put the tiles on the flat surface and make risk (markup).
- With one hand, firmly press the tile to the base. We hold the glass cutter as a ballpoint handle, tightly press it to the surface and make a cut on the marking
- Under the tile at the cutting site, substitute a metal dowel or a nail. Press on tiles simultaneously on two sides of the cut.
Result: even cut. The edge is easy to bring to smooth condition with sandpaper.
Cutting tiles using an electrician. In this way, you can cut the details of both simple and complex configuration, in addition, the universal tool itself is found in many. Additionally needed:
- saw or ceramics saw;
- finished pattern.
- Apply marking to the surface using a prepared pattern.
- We make a cut in the direction of ourselves. We move the jigsaw evenly and without haste.
Result: Low performance is suitable for a small volume of work. Ideal for cutting parts of complex configuration.
Advice! If the circle or part is not located at the edge of the tile, first we drill the hole close to the contours of the picture (inside or outside, depending on the figure) to insert the file through the hole.
How to cut ceramics with a hand jigsaw? This tool is convenient to perform figured cutting of any complexity. The result will be accurate, as when using an electrician.
If the “part” is located far from the edge of the tile, then first we make a hole with a drill, for this we use a drill or nozzle for ceramics. The size of the hole should be such that a saw (string) passes through it). We reinforce the string from one edge of the jigsaw, stretch through the hole and fix it again. When working, the jigsaw move towards yourself.
Advice! It will be easier to saw if the tool handle is left on top.
We work with an angle grinding machine (corner grinder) or “corner grinder”, as the tool is more often called in everyday life. With this tool, you can quickly perform a straight cut, curly, curved, make holes of different diameters without using a crown.
- corner grinder of any power and any type;
- Vise or clamp for fixing parts;
- Cutting circle (disk) Diamond or stone disk:
- A turbo disk is used for a rough cut, if the same type and fast work is needed, for example, direct cutting. Chips and other defects that are formed during cutting are overlapped with skirting boards, platbands, threshold or other tiles. Result: high performance, but with defects on the edge.
- Solid diamond disk of dry cutting is used for thin cutting. In this case, you will get a flat and clear edge. Microskols are eliminated with light grinding with sandpaper. Result: even aesthetic edge, but low performance.
The sequence of work and the technique of execution:
- We risk a sharp tool or mark the surface with a graphic pencil, a marker on the front and reverse side.
- We put the tiles on a flat surface: workbench, table or floor. If you carry out the work on the floor, then lay the flat board to avoid damage to the floor surface.
- If we perform gross cutting, then one pass is enough. We move the corner grinder in the direction of ourselves. If we perform thin cutting, then in one pass, you should not deepen the 3 mm disk. We work with a disk in the direct and reverse direction, that is, first we move the corner grinder in the direction of ourselves, reaching the edge, move to us.
Advice! In both cases, we keep the disk under a slight inclination to the ground cut, then possible chips will remain on the opposite side. If you keep the disk at right angles, then chips will be on both sides of the cut.
Important! Try to work inside the circle, retreating 3-5 mm from the drawn line. When working, the disk brings a little, if the disk is carried out along the line, then the circle will turn out to be larger diameter.
Round holes can be made by several tools:
Let’s start with the pea. A drill or a screwdriver is also suitable. Neither the sequence of work or the technique of execution will change from this. You will need:
How to cut tiles that are in corners or difficult to cut
- Ceramic drill;
- concrete drill if further concrete work is planned;
- Carbide-wolf crown.
For small diameter holes, the drill on ceramics is used, or as they are called in everyday life “feather on the tile”. Such cores delicately process the surface, scrape the upper icing and wash ceramics into powder. The result is a neat hole with even edges. First, work at low speeds so that the drill is hooked on the outer layer of the glaze and does not damage the surface. If the next stage of work involves drilling a concrete wall under the dowel, then a drill of the same diameter is inserted into the peorator.
Useful life hacks:
Regardless of the method and type of cutting, safety measures should be observed. A tool with sharp cutting elements and brittle tiles are a danger if you work carelessly. During work, unforeseen schisms, dust formation, and sharp fragments of tiles are able to cut hands or get into unprotected parts of the body. Before work is required:
Cutting tiles with corner grinders
This video shows the general principle of operation with a corner grinding, including grinding the edges of the fault.
However, it is worth understanding: for such filigree work you need a good skill. In addition, quite often when cutting a disk. both in a straight line and a curve. chips occur. To cut the tiles of a corner grinder without chips and other problems, the masters recommend gluing a masking tape along the cutting line and make markings along it. By the way, it is convenient to do it with a normal pencil.
To simplify the work, it is better to fix the tile or porcelain tile on the desktop.
It is convenient to do this with special clamps-beasts. At the same time, the depreciation of the support surfaces of the clamps and at least the minimum depreciation of the desktop is mandatory. this will help to avoid unwanted vibration leading to chips on the tiles and its uneven fault.
It is recommended to lay a foam, foamed polyethylene and other similar materials on the table.
Sometimes it does not go out to get an even section, in this case you can “choose” the corner grinder the material to a certain circuit, and then smooth the edge with an abrasive.
If you need to make a rectangular neckline or cut the tile along the broken contour, straightforward cuts are performed.
Unfortunately, it is difficult to avoid cuts in the corners.
Corner grinder is also convenient to polish not quite even edges of the tiles after cutting. For this, special flexible abrasive circles are used.
What is needed to cut tiles without tile cutter?
In addition to the already mentioned corner grinder or angle grinding machine, glass cutters (otherwise wet cutting) are used. You can cut the tiles at home along the line of any complexity, but the problem is the need to apply a strictly defined (and quite large) effort to carry out the cut and fault of the tile. over, the more complicated the fishing line for the trimmer of the incision, the higher the risk of uneven fault.
The easiest way to work with direct contours.
To divide the panel, you need to cut the tiles without a tile cutter to the desired contour and carefully break off. As shown in the diagram above, a thin rail, nail, knitting needle and other similar item are placed under the place of fault. What is interesting: with glass cutting can be drawn one place several times, and you also need a fishing line for a trimmer of fault from the back of the panel. It can be sawn with a hacksaw for metal. Before breaking the tile, it is necessary to “tap” the entire fishing line for a trimmer, as when cutting glass, and then make a sharp breakdown. It is convenient to rest the tile at the place of fault on the edge of the table or another angle. The break is cleaned with an abrasive.
Another option is the use of a jigsaw, ordinary or electric. Of course, the electrician is more productive and due to a high cut rate gives a lower risk of incorrect tile break.
What is valuable. the use of an electrician practically does not give restrictions on the thickness of the cut material. The only restriction is the permissible depth of immersion of the peel of the jigsaw, and in most models it is at least 3 5 cm.
Cutting Bathroom Tiles with an Angle Grinder (Quick Tips).- by Home Repair Tutor
For work, files for metal are used, the cut is cleaned with an abrasive to a smooth surface.
How to cut tiles at home correctly
Cutting tiles in domestic conditions provides for the arrangement of the working area. When carrying out work, it is necessary to observe safety precautions. Since cutting is associated with the risk of marriage, you should purchase building materials with a margin of at least 10%. Before the start of laying, the location of the tiles should be developed, which allows minimizing the amount of cutting.
- Clear the working area and prepare a ruler, a square, a transporter and a pencil with a soft barrel.
- Install equipment on a table or floor in accordance with the requirements of the manufacturer.
- Prepare protective clothing and connect power equipment power.
- Gently mark the surface of the tile.
Performance of work
To trim the blanks using an angular grinder, you need:
- Put the workpiece on the workbench, under the line of cutting should not be the material of the countertop.
- Fix the part with a clamp, hold the workpiece with your hand is strictly prohibited.
- Fix a disk with diamond spraying, suitable for dry cutting of tiles or porcelain tile. It is forbidden to use a tool with carbide elements, designed for concrete processing, t. to. When exposed to the cutting edges, shock loads occur on the tile that destroy the material. To improve the quality of processing, you can use special nozzles (for example, the Slider device).
- Turn on the power and go around the line, shifting 2 mm towards the trimmed part. Corner grinder leads towards itself, controlling the perpendicular position of the rotating circle. To cool the disk and edges, you can shift the grinding machine back, and then continue processing. To reduce the risk of chipping, the circle must be rejected by 5 10 ° from the perpendicular position.
- Carefully process the cut with a grinding disk, and then perform the finish refinement with sandpaper.
If the processing of porcelain tiles is supposed, then a special disk is required, designed for materials with high hardness. To extend the resource, it is recommended to serve a small amount of water to the working area. Fly spray should not fall on the corner grinder or penetrate the ventilation slots of the engine.
For trimming, lay the workpiece on the workbench.
Other actions are performed by analogy with the processing of a standard tile.
When using a tile cutter with a manual drive, you need:
- Put the workpiece on the table in accordance with the marking.
- Bring the cutter to the surface, press on the lever and smoothly pull the caliper on yourself, making a groove on a glossy surface. Repeated passages are not recommended, since cutting lines do not coincide and cause painting the edges during the fault.
- Put the paws in the workpiece and make sure the part of the part (the semicircular ledge should be under the fault line).
- Press the handle abruptly (in the design there is a stroke limiter that does not allow to crush halves of the workpiece).
Useful tips and general recommendations
Additional tiles for cutting tiles:
- Before starting work, the workpieces can be kept in water for 1 hour, increased humidity simplifies the cutting of elements;
- To mark the markup, it is recommended to use a permanent marker or pencil with a soft griffle of variety B;
- When using a cutting tool, it is necessary to not perform a notch in 1 passage;
- To ensure a smooth move, the axis of the roller is lubricated with machine or engine oil;
- When using a corner grinding machine, you should select circles designed for the spindle rotation frequency;
- Sharp edges on the tile are dull with sandpaper or metal file with a rough notch.
When performing work using electrical equipment, you should use protective glasses and gloves. On clothes, ribbons are not allowed that can be wound on a rotating disk or crown. The premises should be equipped with a ventilation system, it is allowed to carry out work in the open air. Electric wiring should not lie in puddles or poured with liquid used to remove dust and cool the disk.
Manual tile cutters are distinguished by body material and dimensions that determine the permissible tile size. A small.sized tool is suitable for domestic use, but it will not work to break the tile with a thickness of more than 5 mm or porcelain tile. With excessive effort, aluminum guide brackets break on the lever. Professional models that have a price of up to 20 thousand are suitable for cutting thick blanks. The equipment is characterized by a steel sole enhanced by the design of the brackets and an enlarged resource of the cutting tool.
Crama cutting products
To cut the tiles of a corner grinder, it is necessary to master the three directions of the cut.
It is not difficult to master it, at the same time a fishing line for a cutting trimmer is clean and without chips. When performing work, the tiles are securely fixed on a flat surface, marked with a pencil or felt.tip pen. The cut part should freely hang from the table. The cutting tool is located at right angles to the workpiece. Carefully, without jerks, slowly lead an angular grinder along the marked line. The tool should be moved to yourself in such a way that the marked fishing line for a trimmer is visible.
At an angle 45 0
It is often necessary to dock, and this implies a cut of material at an angle of forty.five degrees. Such an angle can only be obtained with a large training. But you can use this technique: first they cut off the workpiece in a straight line, and then neatly with a disk, a skin or shred stone, the edge is treated at the right angle.
Often there is a need to cut a round hole in the tile. You can do the work correctly with the help of an angular grinder if there are certain skills. To do this, mark the hole on the workpiece and a fishing line for the trimmer is circled by the felt.tip pen, the center of the circle is noted. Begin to cut at a slight angle, slowly, on the inside of the line, gradually passing throughout the circumference. Then the sectors are cut out, they are taken out in turn, if necessary, cutting ceramics. Finally process the edges with a file, receiving a flat circle. This processing is called a dry cutter.
Such holes, as a rule, are cut under sewer or ventilation.
When performing figured processing of the workpiece, it is easiest to perform rectangular cuts. In order for the sections to be even, without chips, it is necessary to regularly change the cut.out circle. If you use segmented discs, then chips must appear on the cut line.
How to get rid of dust when cutting tiles
Cutting tiles with corner grinders is not a very difficult matter, but there is a lot of dust. There are techniques that reduce dust formation. Specialists use special tiles for this, but buying them for one-time work is impractical due to high cost. Therefore, when processing the part of the master, they act differently. At first, a layer of glaze is cut out. it almost does not dust, the main dust appears when a layer of burned clay is processed. Then it remains to gently break the ceramic tiles and process the edges with abrasive material.
A common way to get rid of dust is moisturizing the workpiece. To do this, constantly pour water into the working area of operation with a diamond circle. After each passage of the tool, you need to fill the seam with water or install a special device for supplying water to the working area. This device is fixed directly to the protective casing of the corner grind. As a result, the workpiece is processed without dust.
Varieties of facing material
The method of cutting depends on the variety of tiles. The most important thing in this matter is not only the material, but also the role that is assigned to each element of the material in the composition. Tiles are usually produced in collections. these are thought out in terms of color and pattern. Most collections consists of several mandatory elements.
- Background tiles usually do not have patterns. In collections, several tiles of different colors may be present. It is better to cut the tiles in those places where the background is homogeneous, so cut cladding will not be so striking.
- Borders are small elements that share large color tiles, often they have a rectangular format. If possible, cutting borders can be avoided if these elements do not fit the walls.
- Tiles with decor. this type of tile with a pattern or embossed image. It is better to refuse to cut tiles with decor immediately. To do this, at the stage of layout, the tiles with decor must be taken to the central places of the room. It is also not recommended to have a tile with a decor under the ceiling or by the floor.
- Floor tiles are usually thicker than wall, so cutting it is more difficult. In addition, large.format tiles are often used on the floor, irregularities in cutting on it are also noticeable.
Ceramics cutting options
Each of the methods is good in something of its own and is in one case or another. How to cut ceramic tiles? There are three main methods that allow you to cut the material evenly.
- Using a corner grinder with an appropriate circle.
- The use of electric, manual tile cutter or special forceps.
- Improvised tools for cutting ceramic tiles, such as glass cutter, well.sharpened nail or drill.
Cramping Ceramics with corner grinding
Corner grinder (angular grinder) is able to cut off any tile, the main problem is that the tool is quite complicated in circulation and is injured. In the process, a large amount of dust is formed, and small pieces of tiles can break off and fly away. When cutting a corner grinding of a fishing line for a cutting trimmer, it has a torn edge and a large number of chips appear on it, so this tool should not cut a cladding that requires delicate processing. In the presence of manual tile cutter it is better to use it.
When cutting the tiles with corner grinders, you should definitely use personal protective equipment: gloves, respirator, glasses.
How to use
- Put the tile face up on the workbench and fix it with a clamp.
- Draw a corner grinder along the line once in the direction of yourself to cut the furrow. At the beginning and end of the cutting, the speed of the angular grinder makes less.
- Break the tile, putting it on a wire hanger or a similar item.
Working with manual tile cutter
Tiletor cutter. a professional tool for working with tiles. It is used when it is necessary to cut a lot of tiles directly or diagonally. Not suitable for very small cuts, curly cuts, cutting along crooked lines and larger tiles that are not placed inside the tool.
According to the principle of operation, the tile cutter is similar to glass cutter, only it is more accurate, convenient and fast.
How to cut
- After marking, put the tile on the base of the tool so that the marking is compatible with a special mark on the tile cutter. Make sure that the fishing line for the marking is exactly under the blade.
- Lower the handle, pressing a little so that the blade snuggles tightly to the tile. Then smoothly move the blade towards yourself. You will hear a characteristic rattle that is a sign that the tile is cut.
- Use the paws of the tile cutter, which drop out with a sharp and fast movement, from which the tile is broken, because it lies on a special tubercle.
- If the cut edge of the tile is rough, polish it with sandpaper or grinding stone.
Electric tile cutter
The tool is similar to a circular saw. Allows you to cut a large amount of tiles in a short period of time. You can make straight, diagonal and corner cuts (for example, to go around the door jamb or socket). Not suitable if you need to get a curve or rounded section.
In an electric tile, a diamond or carbon blade is used, designed specifically for cutting ceramic tiles or porcelain tiles. During cutting, the blade and tiles must be constantly wetted with water so that there is cooling and, most importantly, that dust and garbage do not fly in all directions. Therefore, the tool is equipped with a water capacity or a tube through which it is supplied.
How to use
- Prepare electric tiles for work in accordance with the instructions. In most cases, it is required to fill the container with water, turn on the machine and make sure that the blade is moistened.
- Put the tiles on the machine, press to the base and carefully move it to the blade. Do not crush or use strength. Let me cut the tile yourself. Do everything as if sawing a tree with a circular saw.
Wheak cutter is used only in cases where only a few tiles need to be cut and complex or curved cuts are not expected.
Before using the glass cutter, you need to take spoiled tiles and practice drawing the lines first on it.
How to cut
- Make markings with a pencil and square.
- Put the tile on a solid flat surface. Push the square from the drawn line a little so that the cutting part of the glass cutter stands directly on it.
- Place the glass cutter on a fishing line for a trimmer on the edge of the tile, press it on the tile and drive along the line.
- Tap the glass cutter or something like it along the cut line.
- Когда леска для триммера проведена плитку надламывают об край стола или об цилиндрический предмет (гвоздь, наконечник отвертки). For the first option of breaking, the tiles are chopped from the edge of the table and pressed on the hanging part. If you break about the cylinder, the item is laid under the fishing line for the cutting trimmer, then you need to press on two edges of the tile.
- If the cut edge of the tile is sharp or rough, it can be sanded with a sharpener or sandpaper.
Figure cutting is performed if the tile should bypass communications or plumbing equipment (shells, toilets, outlets, etc.). For figure cut, the tools listed below are suitable.