How to install a disc on a grass trimmer
The model belongs to the professional models, so the goals for it will be a little higher. It is designed to mow rough grass, remove stubborn shrubs and young trees.
It has a new, high-powered engine that does not produce many harmful emissions.
- engine power. 1,9 l.с;
- engine capacity. 36.3 cm3;
- tank volume. 0.53 l
- Boom. flat;
- handle. T-shaped;
- Complete with a shoulder strap, two-blade blade;
- line cross-section. 2.4 mm;
- weight. 5,9 kg.
The price range of these models does not indicate any difference in quality, at first, no matter what the mower STIHL designed for your particular application.
It’s quite clear that there’s no point in getting a more expensive and stronger model if you have a small plot or a front meadow. The simpler models will manage it perfectly, but the word “simple” is not used here in a derogatory way. powerful mowers are designed to handle large areas with overgrown and dense surfaces, hence the difference in price. If you are confused in such a wealth of tools, then do not get upset, but feel free to click here and we will tell you how to choose a lawn mower for dacha.
But, whatever model you have not chosen, you need to follow certain rules of operation, recommended by the manufacturer, in order to avoid possible damage.
The blade material is plastic or metal, and this determines their function. The question naturally arises as to which one disk better to use: plastic or iron? The choice is determined by these factors:
The electric version of the grasshopper
The self-propelled type of these units can be used anywhere, but only near a power supply. Silent, they are often used near schools, kindergartens, also hospitals and clinics. Quite actively use them on personal terrain.
Advantages of trimmer discs compared to fishing line
The trimmer disc has advantages over cord. Know these advantages in order to decide in the end whether to buy and use metal cutting blades. Consider all the pros of trimmer discs:
- the ability to cope with a variety of vegetation, unlike a fishing line. It can be a dry grass, long and thick-stemmed grass, and even small vegetation. A fishing line for trimmers can hardly cope with medium-sized grass, and it is not able to cut thick-stemmed grass. Cord will either get tangled up in the grass, or the trimmer line will wear out quickly, which is not rational at all
- High speed to achieve results. Unlike the fishing line, the disc for one pass cuts the grass qualitatively (with a good sharpening), leaving no “roosters”, so mowing with a metal disc trimmer is faster than when using cord
- discs do not wear out as opposed to a cord. Cutting blades or parts of the wheel get blunt, but the issue is resolved by sharpening. How to sharpen a metal trimmer wheel, described in the material below. cutters wear out over extended periods of use, but last at least 3 to 5 years
- Long life, unlike a fishing line, due to the construction of the tool
There are also disadvantages with the cutting equipment for trimmers under consideration. The first disadvantage is that it is impossible to work the tool with the disc when mowing grass near obstacles in the form of trees, buildings, rocks, benches, etc.п. When the disc collides with an obstacle, the drive is braked, which is reflected in the form of such disadvantages:
- Motor is overheating
- The cutting parts of the blade become damaged and become blunt
- Transmission mechanisms. flexible and rigid shafts (gearbox). fail
If you plan to mow dense grass in the field, it is impossible to do without a grass trimmer with a metal disk installed. The line for the trimmer is used to mow small grass on the homestead areas near obstacles.
This is interesting!Steel blades cannot be used on trimmers with a curved boom design for safety reasons. If the disc encounters an obstacle, there is a kickback effect and the cutting part can get under the operator’s feet. As a result, the operator risks serious injury.
Instructions for replacing the disc on the gasoline trimmer with a step-by-step description
Having understood the design of cutting blades, it remains to figure out the process of their replacement and installation on the tool. If the chain saw is equipped with a forestry head and a metal disc is to be installed, then no remodeling of the construction will be necessary.
To install a metal disc on the grass trimmer, it is necessary to follow the following instructions:
- First remove the plastic protective cover. not necessary. Depending on the tool model, the disassembly process can vary. If your trimmer is equipped with a metal cover, there is no need to remove it. You need to remove the plastic cover in order to install the metal one
- Lock the gearbox with the special Allen key or screwdriver. The hole for locking the shaft can be on the side or end side
- The mowing head or bobbin, if fitted, is twisted off the tool
The disk is installed in place of the head or bobbin. The inside diameter of the disc should fit into the groove. The mowing head is installed so that the face (with the letters) faces upward
As you can see, the disk replacement procedure is not complicated at all and takes no more than 5 minutes. The video below shows how to correctly change mowing heads and wheels on benzos.
Semi-automatic reels and how effective they are
The most popular among mowers are heads on grass trimmers semi-automatic type. From the name it is clear that the line for the trimmer comes out of the spool in semi-automatic mode. To this end, the head is equipped with a mechanism by means of which the line is fed. The filament feeder needs to touch the bottom of the head on the ground to activate the mechanism. It is very convenient, as there is no need to turn off the tool motor and stop mowing the grass.
Extension of the filament is effected by centrifugal forces. Working with a semiautomatic tool head is easy and comfortable. Many craftsmen recommend using exactly this option, but they do not specify the following information:
- If you plan to use a semi-automatic spool, only use brand-name models
- Buying cheap devices is not rational, as they do not serve even a few months
- It is rational to buy semi-automatic type reels, which are designed directly for a particular brand and model of grass trimmer, since universal ones are often of low quality of assembly
Based on the above, it should be noted that it is not always rational to buy coils for trimmers semi-automatic type, especially if there are models more perfect and no less reliable. automatic.
FORESTER 40 TOOTH CARBIDE BRUSH BLADE REVIEW | TOOL REVIEW TUESDAY!
Instruction how to use a gasoline trimmer learn how to start the tool
Before you work with a tool, it is necessary to initially start it up. Let’s look at how to start the lawnmower in detail. First, the tool should be placed on a flat surface so that the disc attached to the shaft does not catch on anything. After that start the engine of the lawnmower:
- Before starting, pump fuel into the starting system. To do this, press 4-5 times on the primer (the soft hemisphere on the carburetor)
- Then set the carburettor switch to “OFF” mode. This switch is responsible for opening and closing the air damper. Turning the switch to “OFF” mode allows you to make the fuel mixture during startup enriched
- On the handle next to the gas pedal there is a switch. It is responsible for turning on and off the ignition. Before starting, the ignition switch must be set to “1” mode
- The ignition can now be started. To do this, hold the tool with one hand and sharply pull the starter handle with the other. If the grasshopper engine does not start the first time, do not despair. Try to start the engine until the engine fails to start. Usually you should perform 2-3 repetitions for this
- If after 5 repetitions the engine does not start, repeat the primer and then restart
- As soon as the motor starts, you need to turn the air damper switch to “ON” mode. This means that the fuel-air mixture is entering the cylinder
- Allow 15-30 seconds for the tool to idle until the engine warms up, then you can start mowing
The above instructions on starting the engine of chain saws and trimmers are appropriate for a cold start. If you have paused during work with the tool, there is no need to close the throttle when restarting the uncooled engine. Simply turn on the ignition, and pull the starter grip.
This is interesting!If the lawnmower is new, then do not forget that you can not work with it at full power, until the running-in procedure
This is important to keep in mind, otherwise engine parts will quickly wear out and fail
Installing the diamond disc
This operation does not differ in appearance from the attachment of a typical disc, except that even more attention, accuracy and careful control is required.Remove the spool with the fishing line by blocking the reducer shaft with a special pin or a screwdriver of a suitable diameter, turning the fishing line container counterclockwise.
We try on the diamond disc to the bottom spline washer and make sure that its seating hole is larger than the diameter of the seating belt on the washer. At high revolutions the saw blade may shift, an imbalance will occur, which will inevitably lead to tool breakage and even injury of the operator or people nearby.
We try on the compensating washers one by one and choose the one that fits the width and completely selects the gap between the saw blade seating place and the centering belt of the lower washer.
Put the lower washer with the wear ring, the diamond disc, the upper washer and the cover plate on the gearbox shaft one after the other to redistribute the clamping force over a larger area.
Tighten the complete set on the gearbox shaft by first tightening the nut with a left-hand thread by hand, then by using a socket wrench while blocking the gearbox shaft with a suitable screwdriver from below.
Remove the protective cut plastic tube from the teeth and check once again that the saw blade is firmly attached to the gearbox shaft. If it proves to be reliable, the grass trimmer, with the diamond disc installed, is completely ready, both for traditional and non-designated work, for this tool.
Features of the Husqvarna Grass 255-8T 8-tooth hay knife, 1″
I am convinced that the 8-toothed blade mows “in hay” even better than the 3 or 4-blade blade. Virtually does not shred grass and less grass gets stuck between the blade and the protector. I think the eight-toothed blade for hay is the best (good blade), it’s not in vain when I bought the brushcutter. everyone recommended it to me without fail. At the moment I only mow hay with this cutter and have drawn these conclusions: 2-and 3-and 4-blade mowing excellent, but cut a lot of grass, not counting the 3-and 4-blade grass trimmer blades then fall into mole heaps, then in ant-hills and with all this comes a sharp stop rotation, which is hardly good for brushcutter. over, this blade of grass chopper always cuts into the resulting windrow and either cuts the grass or grabs a pile of it under its guard and gets bogged down. And the eight-toothed one is practically round, it occasionally clings to obstacles. Being heavier, it brakes smoothly when entering an ant hill, but there are anthills on the mowing at almost every step, and it doesn’t chew the grass in a windrow. By productivity such a disk is not inferior to the two-blade, mows like a razor, leaves no “tail” and is much more non-hazardous in my opinion, because it does not send the stone in flight and the tooth is unlikely to fly away when it hits.
Choice of saw blade
The disc comes with three rings with the same outer (30-mm), but different inner diameters, that is, they differ from each other in width. These rings are designed to compensate for the difference between the saw blade seating hole and the mating element on the larger diameter pressure washer.
Sharpening the disk
Regardless of disc quality, over time it blunts and starts to cut the grass badly. If the blades are still relatively new, and replacement is not feasible, you can sharpen them with your own hands.
Important! Only discs without hardfacing are good for sharpening. Such parts are discarded and new ones are purchased instead
CHAIN Trimmer Head !? REVIEW AND TEST #2
disassemble the grass trimmer, remove the knives; carefully inspect the disc. if cracks are found, it is better to replace the part with a new one, as its further use is not safe; bent blades can be carefully bent with a hammer; given the size of the disc, you need to choose the right file for metal, this will provide more convenient work; at an angle of 30° equally sharpen all the upper cutting edges of the discs; assemble the grass trimmer in reverse order.
To sharpen the disc, it is possible to use an emery machine at low rpm with a medium-sized wheel. Through such a tool, the process will move much faster. For safety, you should wear gloves on your hands and a face mask or goggles.
So, plastic and metal blades of different shape and number of blades are used for grass mowing on gasoline and electric mowers. They are chosen according to the type of work performed and the size of the area to be treated. If the knives on the mower blunt, they can easily be resharpened or replaced on their own
Despite the simplicity of the procedure, you must be careful and keep safety in mind so as not to injure yourself due to carelessness or damage the technique. For a more detailed description of blade replacement with respect to a particular model of grass trimmer, see the instruction manual or the manufacturer’s official website