Hard disk space is not infinite. The development of technology has allowed the creation of disks larger than 1 TB, and everyone feels an illusory feeling. the place will never end. However, with the development of disks, technologies that clog disk space also develop. For example, HD video eats a place in gigabytes for breakfast.
That was the dark side of the question. The bright side of it is that learning how to replace a hard drive is just a spit! Therefore, do not worry much about an almost full hard drive. Read on and all the secrets of this procedure will be revealed to you.
Finding a Good Replacement
Before buying a new HDD, you will need to find out the type of connection of the old. Today, the most used type of data cable is SATA.
However, computers that are already 5-6 years old can use a connection known as an IDE. The difference between them is easily recognizable: the IDE cable really looks like a cable with countless wiring, and the SATA connection is a small wire ending with an adapter in the shape of the letter “L”. In the picture below you can easily see the difference. on the left is a SATA drive, and on the right is an IDE connection. Laptop hard drives are often smaller, but they have the same connections.
Speaking of sizes. Consider the physical size of the disk when buying. There are two popular sizes on the market right now. 3.5 ″ and 2.5 ″. The larger is for desktops, the smaller is for smaller systems and laptops. However, many “heavy” hard drives are 2.5 ″ in size, regardless of the computer that is equipped with them. There is another exception to the rule: some factory all-in-one computers use 2.5 ″ size.
Transferring Information From Old To New
The process of actually replacing a hard drive is one of the simplest, judging by the physical effort. However, the hard drive is one of the most important components of the system; all your information is stored on it, starting with the operating system and ending with your mail, movies and favorite songs. Therefore, a simple replacement will rob you of all this information.
If your computer supports several hard drives, then this trouble can be easily fixed. You simply connect the second hard drive to the system and clone the old drive to the new one using one of the thousands of free utilities. After that, you can put the old disk on the shelf or format it to use as a spare (check that the cloning was successful before you do it!).
It is more difficult if your computer only supports one hard drive, so you cannot transfer data directly. In this case, copying is only possible with the separately purchased USB-SATA adapter or external HDD. Cloning in this way may take longer due to limitations set by the USB connection, but in the end everything will be ready.
Replacing an Old Hard Drive
Desktop PCs are usually designed so that the hard drive is located in the front in the middle, between the CD / DVD and the bottom, with diodes and additional connectors. The process is not so complicated and will require only the presence of hands, eyes and a screwdriver.
Open both housing panels. If you have a SATA drive, then disconnect the loop and additional power, if any. If an IDE, first disconnect the auxiliary power, then the loop. Remember where you put them and unscrew the screws. Try to keep the chassis horizontal to prevent dropping and damaging the drive and its surroundings.
Then, to connect a new hard drive, you can use the same screws. most often the connectors are universal. But if separate screws are supplied to the drive, use them. After that, connect. to IDE: first the loop, then the power, to SATA: first the power (if it was connected), then the loop.
With laptops a little different. For the most part, the hard drive in them is hidden behind a plastic cover at the bottom of the device, fixed by a pair of screws. Removing it, you will see, in fact, a disk mounted also on several screws. You just need to pull it out and insert a new one. All connectors are built directly into the device, so don’t worry about cables. Please note that not every laptop can be modified in this way, so read the instructions to avoid difficulties.
After replacing you will undoubtedly want to check if everything is working well. If you cloned a disk, then everything should be in order. Cloning programs offer you to customize the size of new partitions, trying to match the size of the old ones, and your PC will understand everything on its own. To make sure, go to the Start. Control Panel. Administrative Tools. Computer Management. Disk Management, you will see which disks the system recognizes, which partitions are used. If not all space is used, you can increase the size of the partition or create a new one. Note that part of the disk space will not be displayed, as it is used to store deleted files, information and data stored by the manufacturer.
If you were unable to copy the old disk, this step is not necessary, since during the installation of the OS you will have to create and format a new partition.
I hope this article has provided comprehensive information on installing a new hard drive. May you always have free space!
Recent comments on this article.
The current rating of the article: 2.6 out of 5 points
Valentin Gorelov | November 5, 2014, 20:34 | Rating: 1
You were asked to tell what needs to be done, but how to do it is a big difference. If you do not understand this. it is really terrible. After each of your phrases, you can again ask the question HOW? And most importantly, after transferring to another disk, simply removing the old disk will not work, so I would like to know how to disconnect the old disk so that the new one works. would launch and operate the OS
Video: How to Replace a Disc with a Benzotrimmer
View previous (all) comments (5)
The trimmer, whether it is gasoline or electric, is the only right solution for mowing grass in hard-to-reach places that cannot be handled by a wheeled lawnmower. As a cutting tool, trimmers use metal knives or a special fishing line, which is tucked into the trimmer coil. But, unfortunately, the trimmer heads during operation over time become unusable. Some malfunctions can be eliminated with your own hands, and some require a complete replacement of the mowing head.
Trimmer Coil Device
Mowing heads for trimmers come in many designs. both simple and complex. The picture below shows semi-automatic trimmer head from the Husqvarna lawn mowers (Husqvarna) disassembled.
This type of head is present in the configuration of most lawnmowers and trimmers, such as Stihl (Stihl), Patriot (Patriot), Champion (Champion), Bosch (Bosch), Huter (Huter) and others. The mower head is quite simple. It consists of the following details:
- mowing head base;
- button for semi-automatic cord feeding;
- a bobbin (reel) into which the fishing line is refueled;
- eyes. through them the fishing line comes out;
- trimmer head cover;
- fishing line (cord).
There are also simpler trimmer heads shown in the following photo.
All these attachments do not allow changing the length of the fishing line in semi-automatic mode (after pressing the button). In the event of a break in the cord, you have to stop the mower and change it manually.
Basic coil faults
Trimmer users and lawn mowers often encounter a problem with a semi-automatic mowing head. Coil malfunctions can be as follows:
- the fishing line does not automatically extend;
- the cord spontaneously exits the coil.
The fishing line does not automatically extend
If the line does not lengthen with a light touch of the trimmer coil button on the ground, the reasons for this may be as follows.
Option 1. a bite occurred, i.e. clamping cord between turns. This problem usually occurs if the user wound the fishing line on the reel unevenly, with the intersection of turns, or wound it with insufficient tension. In the latter case, when the mowing head rotates at high speeds under the influence of centrifugal force, the cord begins to drag out, as a result of which it is possible to twist the fishing line. To fix the problem, you will have to disassemble the coil on the trimmer and rewind the cord correctly, that is, in even turns with good tension.
Option 2. too short ends protrude from the head. The fishing line may not come out when it hits the ground, if its ends protruding from the head are of insufficient length (short). In this case, centrifugal force is not enough to stretch the line. Therefore, it is necessary to stop the unit (turn off the engine or disconnect the trimmer from the mains) and pull out the fishing line manually by first pressing the button.
Option 3. fishing line soldered inside the mowing head. This causes the coil to stop and not spin when the button is pressed. Basically, this happens for several reasons: poor quality of the cord, overheating of the coil during continuous operation of the unit, impact of fishing line on solid objects.
- In the first case, the cord of third-party manufacturers can be made of low-quality and low-melting materials that do not withstand mechanical and thermal stress. Therefore, preference should be given to “branded” fishing lines.
- But, if you nevertheless acquired a fishing line of unknown quality, and it often gets soldered during operation, then you can follow the example of some users who, after refueling the cord into a coil, moisten it either silicone grease (from spray can), or mineral oil. This procedure greatly reduces the likelihood of soldering between each other turns of fishing line.
- Also, the fishing line can be soldered if during mowing it hits a solid object (stone, fence, dry branch, etc.). As a result of this, it stretches a little and is pulled back into the head at high speed. The cord heats up due to friction, and its coils stick together. The only thing that can be done to eliminate this malfunction is to open the trimmer coil and rewind the fishing line.
Cord spontaneously lengthens
There are situations when the trimmer user notices very fast consumption of fishing line. However, he never hit a button on the ground to lengthen the fishing line. The reason that the fishing line spontaneously lengthens, cutting off a special knife on the casing of the device, can serve lack of spring in the mowing head. Often, novice users of mowers, trying to charge the fishing line into a reel, forget to install the hold-down spring in the head, or even lose it when the lid is opened, and in the future, they are not even aware of its existence.
How to remove the reel and replace the fishing line
Owners of trimmers, mostly novices, are confused, bordering on panic when it becomes necessary to change the cutting tool or fishing line in the reel. Very often, when trying to unscrew the mowing head, users simply render it unusable, not suspecting that it is unscrewing in the opposite direction. To prevent this, if you need to replace the tool, it is recommended that you read the step-by-step instructions below.
- Before putting the fishing line into the reel, turn off the engine of the lawn mowers or de-energize the trimmer to avoid injuries that might occur if the cutting tool is accidentally started to rotate.
- Unscrew the nozzle attached to gear shaft. To do this, the shaft must be locked by aligning the holes on the washer and on the axis, and inserting a metal rod or screwdriver into them.
- Unscrew the nozzle. You should know that the thread on the shaft is left. Therefore, twist the trimmer coil to the right, that is, clockwise.
- Disassemble the mowing head. Most often, the head cover is attached on clips. To remove it, you will need to drown these clips into the body, squeezing the edges of the lid. If your trimmer has a semi-automatic mowing head with a button on the bottom, disassembling the nozzle should be done carefully, since you can lose the spring, which sometimes flies out when the cover is removed.
- Cut the required amount of fishing line. Usually its length is 5 meters. Use a cord of the diameter specified in the tool manual. It is not recommended to exceed the maximum diameter of the fishing line, as this will lead to increased engine load and higher gas mileage.
- Find the middle of the cord segment, folding it in half. You will get a loop.
- Cut through the coils special grooves (there may be holes). Insert a loop from the fishing line into this groove.
- Wind the line onto the reel by turning it counterclockwise. It is necessary to refuel the cord as evenly as possible, the turns should lie down without overlapping and with good tension. When the winding is finished, leave the free ends of the fishing line about 20 cm long and fix them in the grooves located on the sides of the reel.
- Assemble the mowing head. Before you finally assemble the nozzle, do not forget insert spring and washer (if available). Install the coil in the housing, and thread the ends of the cord through holes or eyes.
- Put on the cover and fix it with the latches.
- Screw the nozzle back onto the gearbox shaft, also locking it with a screwdriver. Spin the trimmer coil to the left (against the clockwise arrow).
Is it possible to make a coil on a trimmer with your own hands
- Take a piece of plywood or textolite and draw a circle on it with a diameter of about 14 cm.
- Cut the disc with a jigsaw or hacksaw for metal.
- Drill a hole in the center of the disk that matches the diameter of the gearbox shaft. Before installing the disk on the shaft, do not forget to put the washer on it.
- On the edges of the disk, you can screw small corners or make 1-2 holes on opposite sides. They will serve to refuel fishing lines in them.
- To fix the fishing line, several screws can be screwed into the plywood.
Such a homemade mowing nozzle is mounted on a shaft with a nut. Tighten or unscrew the nut without fixing the shaft will not work. To replace the cord, it will be enough to release the screws, insert a piece of fishing line of the required length and press it again.
Also, a mowing nozzle for attaching fishing line to it can be made from a metal sheet. How to do this, you can understand from the next video.