Each user was faced with the problem of unstable operation of the carburetor, since over time, any technique can fail. This is one of the first reasons why it becomes necessary to independently adjust the operation of the unit.
Experts advise to follow the sequence of actions if the setting is done independently:
- at the first stage, the user is required to turn the throttle screws to the end, and then half a turn;
- activate the ignition and let the engine warm up a little;
- without muffling the unit, set the speed lever to the minimum permissible mode;
- start idling to the maximum possible;
- again turn on idling to a minimum;
- these last few steps will need to be repeated several times until the motor begins to demonstrate stable operation;
- at the end, the control lever is set to gas.
How does it work?
If we consider the carburetor from a constructive point of view, then it is arranged quite simply.
- throttle valve;
- the valve, the role of which is to lock the chamber, it is installed of the needle type;
- a mechanism for spraying fuel;
- a chamber for mixing gasoline and air;
- fuel and air valves.
In the chamber, the role of the regulator responsible for the amount of incoming fuel is played by the float. When the level reaches the minimum allowable, the needle valve opens, the fuel in the required amount again penetrates inside.
There is a spray gun between the mixing chamber and the float chamber. The fuel subsequently turns into a single mixture with air. The air flow is transferred inward through the nozzle.
The operation of the tiller is provided by the engine, inside of which no ignition can occur without the required amount of oxygen, which is why it is required to correctly adjust the operation of the carburetor.
In the design of such equipment, units of two types are used:
Each of them has its own advantages and disadvantages, the use of one or another carburetor is due to the type of work performed and other characteristics of the equipment.
Rotary carburetors are most commonly used in tiller designs. They are designed for 12-15 cubic meters. m. This design has gained popularity due to its simplicity.
For the first time, carburetors of this type were used in aircraft construction and the automotive industry. Over time, the design has undergone some changes and became more perfect.
In the center of such a carburetor, there is a cylinder in which there is a transverse hole. When rotating, this hole opens and closes, thus, the air flow passes through the unit.
The cylinder not only makes a rotational action, but also gradually approaches one side, it is similar to unscrewing a screw. When operating at low speed, this carburetor is less sensitive, the hole opens only slightly, turbulence is created, as a result of which the fuel does not flow in the required amount.
Choke, Throttle & Governor Linkage Configuration on Briggs & Stratton 4-5Hp Engines
Even if you run it to the maximum, there are many elements in the design of such a unit that will hinder the development of high power, since the air flow remains strictly limited.
Tillers use this as an advantage, since instant acceleration is not required when the engine is running. Plunger carburetors have many of the same elements that are installed on the rotary model. The only difference is that they cost differently here, hence the ability to increase engine power faster.
There is no hole in the central section, so the cylinder is almost solid. To allow air to pass through, the cylinder moves, and at low speed it moves into the carburetor, thus, most of the air flow is blocked, thereby reducing the number of revolutions.
When the user presses on the gas, the cylinder moves, space opens, and air freely enters the chamber where the fuel is located.
All About Tiller Carburetors
- How does it work?
- Repair and maintenance
Without the carburetor inside the tiller, there would be no normal control of hot and cold air, the fuel would not ignite, and the equipment would not work efficiently.
For this element to work properly, it needs to be carefully monitored and configured.
Repair and maintenance
Sometimes it is not enough to adjust the operation of the carburetor and one of its parts must be replaced.
The most common cause of the problem is the air damper, which stops closing completely. In this case, you will first need to check how the drive works.
If jams are found, they must be eliminated.
Serious breakdowns can be avoided only if you constantly monitor and control the operation of the unit. In addition to adjustment, cleaning is necessary or simply replace worn parts.
The cause of contamination may lie in poor quality fuel or dirty air. Filters, additionally installed in the carburetor design, make it possible to correct the situation.
It is necessary to select high-quality fuel, because it significantly affects the resource of use of all elements in the unit design. You can learn how to disassemble the carburetor yourself or hand it over to specialists. The first way is chosen by those who want to save money. During the operation of the tiller, dust and combustion products are collected inside its device, then the efficiency of the element decreases.
In this case, cleaning can help, which is performed in the following sequence.
- Remove the carburetor from the tiller.
- Drain the fuel completely.
- An inspection of the nozzle is carried out, in the case when the fuel is removed from it poorly, then it must be purged. A compressed air cylinder is used. After that, it is turned 180 degrees, if the fuel no longer flows, then it works normally.
- The next step is to check the jets. To do this, you need to remove the screws that are responsible for the gas and remove the carburetor body. The jets are flushed together with the fuel cock. The best remedy in this case is gasoline, then blown with air.
- Next, you need to decompose the washed elements, and then assemble the carburetor in the same sequence.
When assembling, it is important to pay attention to the location of the spray tube, which should be opposite the hole present at the top. Only then is the carburetor installed on the tiller again.
All described methods are suitable for tillers “K-496”, “KMB-5”, “K-45”, “DM-1”, “UMP-341”, “Neva”, “Pchelka”, “Cascade”, Mikuni, Oleo-Mac, “Veterok-8” and others.
Cleaning a Japanese carburetor and adjusting it is as easy as any other manufacturer’s unit. There is no difference, since the design is almost the same for everyone, the main thing is to know the technology.
You will learn how to disassemble and clean the air-cooled tiller carburetor from the video below.
Tilleri Neva MB-1 and Neva MB-2
Most often, K-45 carburetors or their modifications are provided in the factory design of the MB-1 and MB-2 models of the Neva brand. The order of their setting will be the same.
For factory fuel units of the K-45R type, the adjustment should be performed as follows:
- First, you need to screw in the factory screws to the end, intended for self-adjusting the intensity of the maximum and minimum gas supply;
- Next, you need to unscrew each of these steel screws in turn;
- Next, the operator will need to start and completely warm up the power unit of the used tiller;
- After that, it will be necessary to correct the operation of a completely serviceable engine at the lowest possible idle speed;
- Repeat the previous 2 steps if necessary. This must be done until the action of the power unit at the lowest possible idle speed becomes as stable as possible;
- If, after several repetitions, the result is not achieved, then the screw for adjusting and setting full throttle will need to be unscrewed and screwed back. This procedure will need to be repeated until the motor resumes its work.
If numerous manipulations with the adjustment and full throttle screw did not bring the desired result, then you will need to remove and inspect the carburetor. If necessary, it must be repaired or thoroughly cleaned.
Setting up the carburetor KMB-5
The carburetor on the “Cascade” tiller of the KMB-5 type is adjusted in accordance with the instructions according to the following scheme:
- start the tiller and warm up the engine for at least 5 minutes;
- Unscrew the screws for the maximum and minimum gas supply until they stop;
- return each screw 1.5 turns back;
- set the transmission levers to the minimum stroke;
- by adjusting the throttle valve, the engine speed is reduced to a minimum;
- with the engine running, adjust the idle speed by unscrewing the gas screw little by little;
- turn off the engine, then restart it, make sure it is stable.
When adjusting the carburetor, all steps should be checked with the instructions, this will eliminate errors. As a result of the operations performed, the engine should operate in a stable mode and silently.
Setting up the KMB-5 power system node is carried out with the onset of heat, before starting work on the ground.
General information on the device
The carburetor to the tiller is “switched on” from the moment when the piston began to rise up. At this moment, a vacuum space begins to form below the level of the piston. Air begins to be sucked through the carburetor to the motoblock agricultural machinery.
Tiller carburetor device
Knowledge of exactly how the carburetor works for a tiller. will help to independently eliminate any of its malfunctions, as well as to clean and timely adjust the standard fuel unit.
Structurally, the mechanism consists of:
- a float that is connected to a built-in needle locking steel valve;
- float metal chamber with chrome-plated internal cavities;
- an additional chamber required for mixing fuel with air;
- a fuel distribution structure equipped with a diffuser;
- adjustable throttle valve;
- fuel and standard air pipes made of technical rubber.
Depending on the manufacturer and purpose of the tillers, their carburetors can be equipped with additional elements. But regardless of this, fuel holsters work on the same principle.
One of the most important elements of the mechanism is the float, the main function of which is initially to adjust the amount of fuel required for the tiller to work properly. The fuel itself is in the float chamber, and as soon as its volume decreases, the float opens the built-in needle valve. Through it, the missing volume of the refueled fuel enters the chamber, after which the float rises and slowly closes the valve.
The carburetor on the tiller is equipped with an outlet channel, which is located in the float chamber. For normal operation of the fuel unit, the amount of fuel in the standard float chamber must be continuously kept at a level that is several millimeters below the location of the outlet channel.
The atomizer initially plays the role of a kind of fuel distributor, which falls from a chrome float into a steel mixing chamber. The latter is needed directly to enrich the fuel with air. Pre-cleaned air flows into it through the built-in inlet pipe.
Adjusting the carburetor K-60 Tiller Cascade
- We install the throttle valve in such a way that we have a gap between its base and the air duct of 2. 2.5 mm.
- Clamp the carburetor screws.
- We turn the screws back only 0.5. 1 turn.
- Warm up the engine within 5 minutes.
- While unscrewing the adjusting screw, we are waiting for a decrease in the engine speed.
- We reduce the rotational speed and smoothly tighten the screw to the optimal state.
Adjusting the carburetor type K-45
The adjustment of the device to the tiller Cascade of type K-45 is carried out by analogy with other models:
- after preparing the unit for tuning, reduce the engine speed using the throttle stop screw;
- when the engine is idling, set the maximum speed using the fuel mixture screw;
- completing the operation, change the engine rotation speed by turning the screw in the opposite direction by a quarter from the set position;
Setting up the power system node will ensure stable, error-free operation of the power system node.
When starting to operate the tiller, it should be remembered that the carburetor is an important element of it. The ability to self-adjust the product will always keep the mini-equipment in working order.
With the advent of tillers, the life of many rural gardeners, farmers and summer residents has become much easier. After all, such a miracle technique made it possible to carry out all the hard work on the sites not only efficiently and efficiently, but also in a short time with minimal effort. But as you know, sooner or later, equipment can upset its owner with various kinds of breakdowns. There may be several reasons for this: either the part has already worn out, and it is time to replace it with a new one, or the oil did not change on time, or the operating conditions were not correctly followed. One way or another, the equipment needs to be repaired. In service salons, you need to pay a lot of money for this. Today we will tell you how to properly adjust the carburetor on the Cascade tiller with your own hands, without resorting to the help of specialists.
To set up a standard fuel unit in the design of models of this brand, you need:
- Fully screw in the screws initially responsible for adjusting the engine operation in idle and full throttle. Immediately after that, each of the screws must be unscrewed 1.5 turns;
- Start the power unit and wait 10 minutes for it to fully warm up;
- Adjust the continuous operation of the built-in engine of the existing tiller directly at the minimum permissible idle speed. The operator must begin to turn the self-adjusting screw of the standard throttle position alternately in different directions directly until the operation of the internal combustion engine is as quiet and stable as possible;
- Adjust the amount of fuel and intake air that are supplied to the carburetor float chamber and engine cylinder. Tightening the screw gradually will enrich the fuel with intake air in the factory metal float chamber. Twisting it slowly, on the other hand, will increase the amount of air that is fed directly into the cylinder. details about setting up the carburetor Tiller Agro will tell you the video.
It is necessary to adjust the Tiller Agro carburetor when extraneous sounds from the engine side appear, as well as when the volume of fuel consumed and the generated exhaust gases increase. Timely adjustment of the unit with your own hands will improve the quality of the fuel, which will lead to an increase in the power and efficiency of the power unit.
Tiller carburetor device
To properly adjust or clean the carburetor on the tiller, a few words should first be said about its structure.
As you know, the carburetor in the tiller is a certain part of the fuel system and performs the function of spraying fuel, enriched with oxygen to the required degree. Basically, modern tillers run on a gasoline engine (although there are alternatives. diesel and electric). Their designs are mainly of 2 types: rotary (simple in structure and designed for less powerful engines) and plunger (for tillers of higher power, multi-element).
Externally, the carburetor for the tiller looks like this:
The internal structure of a Tiller type K 45 carburetor, which runs on gasoline, schematically looks like this:
Tiller carburetor: device, cleaning and adjustment with your own hands
Many tiller owners have had to deal with carburetor-related malfunctions. How to independently understand the carburetor device and clean and adjust it, thereby not causing even more harm to the technique? We will try to tell you about this as much as possible in this article. After all, do-it-yourself repairs are not only saving your money, but also a useful experience.
Cleaning the tiller carburetor
Instability in the operation of the tiller carburetor most often occurs due to a low fuel level in the tank, due to low-quality fuel, contamination of the filter on the fuel supply valve or clogging of the internal parts of the carburetor. To clean the tiller carburetor in order to remove debris from the filter mesh and jet, disassembly should be carried out according to the following scheme:
- carefully remove the carburetor and drain the fuel from the float chamber. If air does not pass through the fuel nozzle, you need to blow it through;
- having examined the float chamber and the float adjusting tongue, determine the level of the incoming fuel (the optimal level is usually no more than 35 mm);
- remove the low and maximum gas needle to clean the jet. After unscrewing the bolts, separate the upper and lower parts of the carburetor, thoroughly flush the fuel cock with gasoline;
- Clean the jet with a stream of air using a pump. Never wipe the carburetor parts with a rag. It is necessary to assemble the carburetor only after all the parts are dry (for this, lay them out on a clean, dry surface, for example, on cardboard);
- after assembly, make sure that the carburetor is assembled correctly, all the parts that are removed are in place, and the holes are aligned with the tubes. Only then install the carburetor back on the tiller.
In order to properly assemble the part after disassembly, we recommend that you familiarize yourself with this
Tiller carburetor adjustment
The most common reasons for debugging work are no idling or increased engine speed in this mode. The planned carburetor adjustment should be carried out after the tiller has not been used for a long time, or vice versa. after prolonged intensive work. It is also imperative to adjust the carburetor immediately after cleaning and installing it on the chiller. The tuning of the tiller carburetor should be carried out according to the following algorithm:
- the needle of low and maximum gas is twisted to the end, then unscrewed back by 1.5 turns;
- warm up the engine (at least 5 minutes);
- start the engine and leave it to run at the lowest speed;
- set the throttle screw to such low idle speed, at which the engine will work optimally, smoothly and without noise;
- the idle speed is adjusted to the maximum with the idle needle;
- set the idle speed with the throttle screw to a minimum. Repeat the previous and this point of the algorithm until the motor starts to work normally;
- put the engine control lever in the “gas” position;
- adjust the maximum throttle needle until the engine normalizes, if any noises or interruptions occur.
For clarity, we recommend that you familiarize yourself with the video of adjusting the carburetor of the K45-M3 model on the Belarus MTZ 12 tiller:
When adjusting the carburetor, remember the main thing. each tiller model has its own optimal settings! And they are all indicated in the manufacturer’s instructions. If you have even the slightest doubts about whether you can do everything correctly and adjust the carburetor operation, it is better to immediately contact the specialists.
Tiller carburetor adjustment
The instability of the tiller engine speed indicates that the carburetor needs adjustment. The need to perform this procedure, as a rule, arises before the start of the agricultural season, when the equipment has not been used for a long time, or vice versa, when the cultivator has been subjected to significant loads for a long period of time.
Before proceeding with the adjustment, it is necessary to warm up the engine. The work process itself looks like this:
- The screws regulating low and maximum throttle are screwed in completely, and then loosened by about one and a half turns.
- The motor is started with a starting device or manually, and warms up for about 10 minutes.
- The lever that controls the operation of the power plant must be set to the minimum position. But the motor should not stop at the same time.
- The throttle throttle adjusting screw will help to adjust the minimum idle speed so that the diesel engine is stable, without extraneous noise and stops.
- The rotation of the screws makes it possible to accurately set the amount of combustible mixture that enters the motor.
- Tightening the propeller enriches the mixture, while unscrewing it, on the contrary, increases the volume of air entering the engine.
Using the idle screw, adjust the maximum idle speed. Proceed in the same way with minimum speed, using the throttle stop screw. The essence of such an adjustment is that the shutter screw allows you to adjust the angle to which it is closed.
The lever responsible for controlling the motor should be moved to the “throttle” position. If the operation of the cultivator still cannot be called stable, the full throttle screw is adjusted until a perfect stroke is observed. However, the maximum permissible propeller speed is 2.5.
The accuracy of carburetor adjustment can also be determined by how the spark plug looks after a short period of time under load. If the working mixture is ideal, then there will be neither carbon deposits nor traces of fuel on the spark plug, which indicate that the combustible mixture is too lean, or, conversely, too rich. However, it should be noted that carbon deposits or traces of fuel on the spark plug can indicate not only incorrect adjustment, but also more serious problems of the Chinese or domestic tiller, including faulty ignition or cooling system.
Tiller valve clearance adjustment
Over time, with significant loads, the valve clearance of the tiller engine changes. This may be due to wear on the parts. Insufficient distance leads to the fact that the stages of gas distribution change significantly. As a result, it is not possible to achieve a sufficient compression ratio, and the power device operates intermittently, without reaching the declared power. In particularly serious situations, even deformation of the valves can be observed. If the gap is too large, significant mechanical noises are recorded, the gas distribution phases also change significantly, the valves open for too short a time, due to which the cylinder does not fill up properly, the power drops, and malfunctions occur. Clearance adjustment is necessary immediately, as soon as the engine operation becomes incorrect or begins to occur with significant noise. Ideally, the engine being adjusted should be cooled down.
So, first you need to get to the flywheel. It is on this part that the value of the top dead center is marked. The flywheel is hidden under the cover, and therefore will have to be removed. Before removing the casing, the oil bath of the air filter is removed. It is possible to facilitate the task in the process of removing the casing if you fix all the latches with rubber bands. All bolted connections are unscrewed with a key, after which the cover can be removed without problems.
On the flywheel, you can see marks that indicate TDC, as well as values of 5, 10 and 20 degrees. The 20 degree mark indicates the injection of the combustible mixture. The flywheel should be brought under the top dead center, focusing on the appropriate division. The valve cover is unscrewed and removed.
In the process of adjustment, you need to use the following tools:
- spanner key 10;
- blade 0.1 mm thick.
According to the technical data sheet, the valve clearance of the tiller engine is from 0.1 to 0.15 millimeters, and therefore with the help of a blade it can be adjusted very precisely. However, you need to pay attention to the fact that some blades are 0.8 mm thick. and this is unacceptable. The exact value can be found with a micrometer or from the information on the manufacturer’s website.
The adjustment is done as follows:
- Using a screwdriver, we loosen the nut, insert the blade and begin to tighten.
- We focus on the blade, carefully tighten the nut.
- We adjust until the valve free travel is eliminated. It should fit snugly enough.
- In the reverse order, we assemble the casing, put the oil bath in place by hand.
If all manipulations are carried out without errors, then the engine will run smoothly and without unnecessary noise.
Tiller adjustment: carburetor, valves, fuel system
This article describes the adjustment of the tiller, namely its main parts: the carburetor, valves and the fuel system. The process is not easy, so we have included some photos and videos as well. You can also read repair tips here.
Tiller fuel system adjustment
If no fuel is supplied to the cylinder, the first step is to check if there is enough fuel in the tank. You also need to check whether it goes to the carburetor. For this, a hose is removed from the inlet of the device. If we are talking about a K45 type carburetor, press on its quench so that fuel starts to pour out through the drain hole.
If fuel does not enter the carburetor, then you need to turn off the fuel supply valve, completely disassemble it and remove accumulations of dirt from the mechanical filter. To achieve maximum cleanliness, all components must be treated with gasoline. The fuel cock is assembled and returned to its original location.
If fuel enters the carburetor, but is not supplied to the cylinders, it is necessary to check the correct operation of the fuel valve, as well as the presence of dirt on the jets.
To deal with the carburetor of a gasoline tiller of the KMB-5 type, you need to remove it from the engine and pour out the fuel from the float chamber. Through the fitting (see figure), with the help of which the gasoline is supplied, it is necessary to supply the air mixture, having previously installed the carburetor in the operating position. The passage of air should go unhindered, and when the carburetor is turned over, it should completely stop. These features indicate the full performance of the part.
Details in the figure: 1. fuel supply connection; 2. upper body; 3. throttle valve; 4. idle needle; 5. jet; 6. lower body; 7. air damper; 8. screw fixing the tie; 9. maximum gas needle; 10. spraying element; 11. float; 12. fuel supply valve.
The fuel level inside the float chamber can be adjusted using the float tab. Ideally, it should range from 3 to 3.5 centimeters.
To purge the nozzles, it is necessary to unscrew the screws responsible for full and low gas.
Cleaning the carburetor parts begins by loosening the screws holding the upper housing. The lower body is removed, the fuel supply valve is flushed with gasoline, and the dirt from the nozzles is blown out by a pump. It is necessary to check if the float is intact. It is absolutely impossible to use rags in the cleaning process.
After completing the cleaning, the housings are connected. It is necessary to check that the spray tube is clearly inserted into the hole located on the upper body. Open the throttle valve and check how well the assembly is done. The screws that secure the upper case are tightly tightened. After the assembly process is completely completed, the carburetor should be adjusted. This will significantly improve the performance of a heavy tiller with attachments, since perfect adjustment of all its parts is required for correct operation.
If the carburetor DM 1.08.100 is installed on the engine of the cultivator, then the method for adjusting it will be as follows:
- Screw in screw 10 (Fig. 3) at idle until it stops and unscrew it half a turn.
- Then you need to tighten the full throttle screw 9 and completely unscrew it by 2 turns.
- Unscrew screw 4 (Fig. 4) of the minimum engine speed right up to the stop of the lever against the bore of the carburetor body and tighten it 2 turns.
- Start the tiller engine, and then adjust stable operation at maximum speed after warming up with screw 9.
Do not disengage the engine control lever. Move it to the position of minimum throttle (revolutions) and, by unscrewing screw 10, set stable idle revolutions. This completes the setup.
That is, in principle, all the repairs. The main points of adjusting the main parts of the tiller are considered. Use our manual (instruction) and prevent faults. Adjust your tiller or cultivator with pleasure!