Of course, each of us seeks to acquire a high-quality chainsaw, which would be distinguished by reliability, high working life, efficiency and good technical characteristics. All these criteria are fully consistent with the Stihl MS 180 chainsaw. We will talk in more detail about its advantages, common breakdowns and self-repair.
Stihl MC 180 chainsaw device. model components
The design of the Stihl MS 180 chainsaw is quite difficult to call simple. this is due to the features of this model. The Stihl 180 chainsaw device consists of the following components:
- Guide bar Ematic;
- Oilomatic proprietary saw chain;
- Air filter;
- Lever cold and warm start;
- Control lever;
- Spark plug;
- Handle with proprietary vibration reduction system,
- Powerful engine with increased working life.
The manufacturer took into account the possibility of regular operation of the chainsaw at low temperatures, which resulted in the presence of a proprietary system for a smoother and faster start of the engine.
Chainsaw Stihl МС 180. specifications
In terms of performance, the Stihl MS 180 chainsaw is in many ways superior to its price range counterparts. This tool, as well as its modification. the Stihl 180 C chainsaw, has the following technical characteristics:
- Power. 2 liters. from.;
- The working volume of the cylinder is 31.8 cm3;
- Fuel consumption. 0.7 l / h;
- Fuel tank capacity. 250 ml;
- The volume of the tank for oil supply is 145 ml;
- Idling speed. 2800 rpm;
- Launch. manual;
- Chain lubrication. automatic;
- The length of tires used is 30–35 cm;
- Chain Step. 3 / 8’’v
- Working weight. 4.2 kg.
The Stihl MC 180 chainsaw does not require special care. The only thing that is needed from the owner is to use high-quality fuel and top up the oil on time. The diameter of the file for sharpening the Stihl MS 180 chainsaw chain should be 4.5–5 mm.
Features of operation of the Stihl MS 180 chainsaw
This model of chainsaw, as well as its modification. Stihl MS 180 C BE chainsaws, is not difficult to use. Below we will study the basic rules of operation, which will protect the main parts and mechanisms of the chainsaw from premature wear.
How to breed gasoline for a Stihl 180 chainsaw?
The chainsaw motor should run on a properly prepared mixture of gasoline and oil. The higher the quality of these two components, the longer your garden tool will last. Of great importance is the proportion of oil and gasoline.
How to start a Stihl 180 chainsaw?
The correct order for starting the chainsaw is as follows:
- Before you start the saw, you need to activate the chain brake. To do this, the brake lever must be tilted forward;
- Next, you need to remove the protective cover;
- Next, you need to click on the decompression valve. this will greatly facilitate the starting of the motor;
- After that, press the fuel pump several times. This will reduce fuel consumption directly when starting the saw engine;
- Then set the throttle combination lever down to the “cold start” position. To do this, you first need to activate the gas lever;
- Pull the cable slowly until you feel resistance. After that, quickly pull the cable toward you until you hear that the engine has started and stalled;
- Then move the combination lever one position up;
- Pull the cable again until the motor starts;
- As soon as the engine starts, press the trigger, and, having moved the combined lever to the up position all the way, release it;
- Release the chain brake lever, pulling it towards you until a characteristic click is heard;
Video: How to Start a Stihl 180 Properly
How to break in a new Stihl 180 chainsaw?
Starting to use the Stihl MS 180 chainsaw, most tool owners do not know how to properly break in a purchased saw. To do this, you must act in this order:
- Check for chain oil. to do this, put the saw on an old newspaper and start the tool. If there is oil, then traces of it will appear on paper;
- Next, turn off the inertia brake;
- After that, start a chainsaw and leave it to idle for 20 minutes. over, every minute you need to make short-term pressure on the trigger of gas;
- After 20 minutes, start sawing thin branches, gradually increasing the density and diameter of the wood.
Stihl 180 chainsaw. malfunctions and repairs
In the case of the Stihl MS 180 chainsaw, malfunctions and methods for their elimination may be different. In order to be able to independently repair the breakdowns of the Stihl MS 180 chainsaw, we will study the most common causes of breakdowns and methods for eliminating them on our own.
Chainsaw will not start. causes and repair
If you notice that your saw has stopped starting up, this may indicate that engine oil is filling up the spark plug of the instrument. To inspect the candle, you need to remove the rubber cap on the body and unscrew the part with a candle wrench. If you saw large spots of oil on the candle, it means that the cause of the breakdown lies in this.
The Stihl MS 180 chainsaw stalls idling
The most common reason for this is improper adjustment of the saw carburetor. If the saw does not keep idle, then you will need to re-configure the tool assembly. To do this, take the adjustment key from the saw set and insert it into the screw “” on the tool handle. During this, slowly turn the screw clockwise until the saw starts to work normally.
Gasoline not supplied. an independent solution to the problem
The reason for this lies in the malfunction of the carburetor. In order to repair the unit, it will need to be dismantled. However, before disassembling the carburetor on the Stihl 180 chainsaw, be sure to disconnect the throttle link and ignition wire from it. Further actions are as follows:
- The carburetor device is attached to the saw structure using 4 screws. Unscrew them and pull out the assembly from the chainsaw. Before removing the carburetor, do not forget to wear gloves so as not to get your hands dirty with oil;
- Before you clean the carburetor, you will need to apply a household degreaser to its walls. Wait 5 minutes and start wiping the walls of the assembly;
- Remove the starter cover and remove the 4 screws;
- Inspect spark ignition parts. If they are clean, make sure that the gap between the magnets and the flywheel is correctly set. A gap of 0.4 mm will be considered optimal.
In order not to resort to regular carburetor repairs, try to use high-quality fuel and oil from trusted manufacturers.
Chainsaw starts poorly. looking for reasons
If your saw does not start up cold, then the first thing to do is to inspect the pistons of the tool. The piston group of the Stihl MS 180 saw is highly reliable, however, due to a lack of engine oil or mechanical shock, an immediate replacement piston may be required. Before changing the piston, we recommend that you study the specified algorithm:
- Remove the top cover of the saw and unscrew the candle;
- Remove the stoppers from the shock absorbers, drive sprocket and starter;
- Then the flywheel, the worm drive and the winning chain are removed;
- Then remove the ignition coil and muffler;
- At the end, the piston group of the chainsaw is dismantled.
No oil is supplied to the chainsaw chain
If you notice this malfunction, then the first thing to do is set up the oil supply. The oil supply to the circuit is adjusted as follows:
- Locate the adjustment screw at the bottom of the chainsaw next to the sprocket;
- To increase the oil supply, the screw must be turned to the side "";
Starter Cord Replacement
If you pull the cable too much, sooner or later you will have to replace it. This is easy enough to do. To do this, proceed in the following order:
- Remove the 4 screws holding the flywheel with the cord;
- Remove the cover and pull out the torn cable;
- Install a new flywheel with a cable and screw the screws back in.