How to wind the line for the trimmer on the grass trimmer
The thickness of the cord should fit the parameters of the selected tool. Too thick fishing line for the trimmer will entangle the thread on the reel, contribute to overheating of the motor and rapid wear of bushings.
According to the thickness of the trimmer line is conditionally divided into several types:
- Between 1.2 and 1.6 millimeters. Suitable for models up to 0.5 kW. Often these are electric mowers;
- 2mm to 2.4mm. This size is the most popular because it can handle young and tough grass. Fits on tools with about 1 kW of power;
- From 3 mm to 3.2 mm. Suitable for gasoline-powered units that will mow thick stems of weeds;
- Cort 4 mm. Handles overgrown areas.
To determine what kind of line for the trimmer is suitable for the scythe, you can use one of the ways:
- The thickness of the bobbin should be specified in the user’s manual;
- Manufacturers often put important data on the bobbin, including the allowable diameter;
- To slip the trimmer line through the outlet hole. It should pass without any problems.
The shape of the section is also paid attention to, because the thread does not cut, but interrupts the grass stem. Types of cords by cross-sectional shape:
- Round. A universal version, which allows you to cut fresh and dry vegetation;
- Multifaceted with 3 to 6 facets. Can mow stiff and thick stems. But the consumption of such material is quite high, that’s why it is suitable only for specific purposes;
- Figured. It has a star-shaped or square with notches. The first one is used for cutting fresh vegetation.
The line for the grass trimmer trimmer is made of different materials:
- Nylon line made of polyamide or propylene is best suited for brushcutters. Inexpensive options with polyethylene in composition. They are not resistant to stress, cannot withstand frequent changes in temperature. Polypropylene line for the trimmer will last longer, if it is pre-soaked in water for half an hour;
- The strongest are considered strings with aluminum particles and a diameter of about 4 millimeters.
Do not use metal wire or ropes, which can damage the tool.
Based on the described parameters, it is possible to choose the optimal line for a trimmer for the care of lawns.
How to wind the line for the trimmer on the brushcutter bobbin: method one
Open the trimmer head before winding.
First determine the amount of line to be wound on the bobbin. The spool must not protrude over the rims, otherwise the spool will not fit into the casing.
After determining the length of the line, you can proceed to thread it into the bobbin:
The line for the trimmer is folded in half, one edge should be 10-15 cm longer. The bobbin is divided into two parts by a central rim. It has a slot on it for the court, which must be bent in half
You need some strength for winding; the winding direction is important. On the bobbin must be an arrow or an inscription indicating the side of the winding
If there is no indicator, there must be an arrow on the mower head. Cord is wound up in the opposite direction; Winding the line for the trimmer should be as carefully as possible, the thread should be as taut as possible; After completing the laying, the short end of the thread is fixed, it is inserted into the appropriate diameter slot on the side of the spool. The long edge is fastened on the opposite side; The edges of the fixed line must be trimmed with a gap of about 10 centimeters; The threaded spool is installed in the mowing head. The edges of the thread are pulled up from the securing grooves; The cover is put on and secured with latches. It must be completely secured.
How to tuck the trimmer line into the grass trimmer spool: the second method
Some bobbins can be tucked in differently. Two lengths of thread are loaded, not one folded in half.
- As in the first case, the length of the new thread is determined;
- One edge of the cord is bent with a hook;
- At the bottom of the bobbin there are holes for fixing the line, where the bent edge of the thread is inserted;
- The thread is wound following the arrow on the bobbin. The level of the winding should not exceed the diameter of the spool;
- The same is done with the second cell of the bobbin;
- The edges of the fishing line that stick out of the holes need to be trimmed. You can simply turn on the scythe, the knife will cut them while spinning. The trimmer line is cut by hand with scissors if the diameter of the court is too large.
Features of the trimmer application
Such a convenient, and most importantly, effective device as a trimmer for the grass, there are several variations:
As is clear from the names, the types of grass trimmer noticeably differ from one another. But regardless of the type of this tool, its cutting element may be a line for the trimmer. Of course, the line tucked into the grass trimmer spool for trimmer is not endless. And sooner or later it will be necessary to replace it with a new one.
Consumption of fishing line directly depends on the frequency of use of the device and the scale of the work performed. The more grass you cut and the more often it is trimmed with the grass trimmer, the more the trimmer line is used. And, accordingly, the sooner it will run out. This raises the question: how to tuck the trimmer line into the grass trimmer reel?
Not everyone knows the answer to this question. And wrapping fishing line on a spool plays a big part in how your grass trimmer works
In order for the device to function properly, it is very important to properly wind the new line for the trimmer on the spool. On how to change the line for the trimmer on the trimmer, and will be discussed in this article
Choosing a line
To make sure you get the right line in the trimmer head, it’s important not to miscalculate the choice of consumable. The thicker the cord you thread, the thicker and tougher the grass it can cut. Often a universal line for the trimmer is used, the diameter of which is 2 mm. You can find the right diameter for your mower in the following ways:
- Look for information on line thickness in the instruction manual that came with your trimmer.
- Pay attention to the bobbin itself. Sometimes it is marked with information about the possible line diameters.
- Another option is to try inserting a cord into the outlet. If it passes through without difficulty, then the selected line diameter is suitable for use.
Reel for grass trimmer Choose a cord according to the type of motor. If the line for the trimmer will be too thick, then the resistance to rotation will increase. the engine in this case will be greatly overheated and will soon fail. Useful recommendations:
- For an electric device with a motor less than 500 V, a filament thickness of 1.3 mm is suitable. If you can’t find one, you can use 1.6 mm trimmer line. If the power is greater than 1 kW, select a cord with a diameter of 2 mm.
- With a gasoline grass trimmer, it matters the shaft mower. For the bent version, a 2 mm cord is often used. If the shaft is straight, then install a thread of 2.4-2.5 or 3 mm. The thickest line for the trimmer is installed on powerful devices. from 1.3 kW.
Pay attention to the type of cross-section of the cord. Some popular options:
- The most common fishing lines with a circular cross section. They mow fresh grass well, but cope less well with shrubs, dead wood.
- Twisted (spiral) cord is not very strong, but is not bad for thin young grass.
- Serrated cord with sharp edges is ideal for large weeds in a neglected area.
- You can mow the lawn more evenly with a rectangular, starred or square grass trimmer line, but they are not very durable.
- The strongest cord is two-piece cord with an inner core and a circular cross section.
Types of fishing line for grass trimmer Note that you can’t use wire, metal strings and ropes, or ordinary fishing line instead of fishing line. The device will be dangerous for both the user and others. In this way, the rope or similar products will gradually begin to work together, causing their ends to unravel and the small pieces to fly off at high speed.
How to wind up a line for a trimmer on a Patriot grass trimmer reel?
Almost every beginner faces the problem of changing lines when using a grass trimmer. Although it’s easy to change your trimmer line, you need to learn how to do it right. Changing a fishing line takes no more than five minutes with the right technique. you just need to practice it all the time. In this article we will consider how to change a fishing line using Patriot trimmers as an example.
How to wind the line for trimmer on the reel of grass trimmer Patriot?
Almost every beginner faces the problem of changing fishing line when using a grass trimmer. Despite the fact that changing the fishing line for trimmer is very easy, it is necessary to learn how to do it correctly. Changing a fishing line will take no more than five minutes with the proper dexterity. just practice it all the time. This article will look at the replacement of the line on the example of Patriot trimmers.
Remove and disassemble the spool
The trimmer head consists of a casing, a spring (not every model has one), a bobbin with cord, a cover. Before proceeding to disassemble the coil of the electric unit, be sure to unplug the grass trimmer from the mains. The method of disassembly depends on the attachment of the mowing head. First option:
- To remove the cover covering the inside of the head, press on the latches (latches) that are located on both sides.
- Remove the cover, under which you will see the bobbin. remove it from the body. Some trimmers have a spring under the bobbin, which should also be carefully removed.
- After removing the bobbin, you will see a screw in the center of the housing. Unscrew it with a screwdriver.
- After removing the fasteners, grasp the body of the part and, rocking it in different directions, remove the reducer from the shaft.
In the second option, the grass trimmer head is screwed on the gearbox shaft. To remove it, you need to fix the shaft. For this purpose, such devices have a hole through which a thin screwdriver or metal rod is inserted. Here is a brief instruction:
- Insert a screwdriver into the special hole, and then lock the shaft.
- Grasp the body of the head and start twisting it. Do this in a clockwise direction, t. к. thread on the shaft left.
Spooling line on spool
Removing and Disassembling the Spool
The mowing head consists of a casing, a spring (not every model has one), a bobbin with cord, a cover. Before proceeding to disassemble the coil of the electric unit, be sure to disconnect the grass trimmer from the mains. Disassembly method depends on how the mowing head is mounted. First option:
- To remove the cover on the inside of the bobbin case, press in on the catches on both sides of the cover.
- Remove the cover, under which you will see the bobbin. remove it from the housing. Some trimmer reels have a spring under the bobbin, which should also be carefully removed.
- Having removed the bobbin, in the center of the body you will see a screw. Unscrew it with a screwdriver.
- After removing the fasteners, take the body of the part and, rocking it in different directions, remove the gear from the shaft.
In the second version, the grass trimmer head is screwed onto the gear shaft. To remove it, you need to fix the shaft. This is made by inserting a thin screwdriver or a metal bar through a hole in the reel. Here is a brief instruction:
- Insert a screwdriver into the hole provided, then lock the shaft.
- Take hold of the body of the head and start twisting it. This should be done in a clockwise direction, t. к. the thread on the shaft is left.
Winding line on the spool
If there is a summer cottage or a large plot of land near your individual house or cottage, then you need to use a lawn mower for easy removal of grass and weeds. If you think to choose between an electric and a gasoline lawnmower, then click here and you will find the comparative characteristics of different models.
Over time, the line for the trimmer on the mower wears out and needs to be replaced. you can do it yourself. Choose this polyethylene thread according to the model of the mower. You should also pay attention to the other parts of the machine. Here you can find information about Craftsman lawn mower blades, which are also subject to wear and tear and can lead to irreversible consequences.
The device of the spool, in which the line for the trimmer is inserted, is very simple. But it differs depending on whether the spool works with one or two filament tendrils. It is important to observe safety precautions when changing the line in the reel.
Choice of lines
In order to easily wind the line for the trimmer on the grass trimmer reel, it is worth deciding what tasks the garden tool will perform. The thicker the thread that is threaded into the head, the more difficult the tasks it will be able to perform. Note that often a universal filament with a width of less than 2mm is used. You, on the other hand, can determine the size using the following methods:
- Read the information in the manufacturer’s instructions;
- Check the suitability of the line yourself by trying to insert it in the hole of the spool;
- examine the bobbin for information on the diameters allowed for use.
Selection of lines for threading in the grass trimmer reel can be made by type of engine. For example, excessively thick fishing line can cause an increase in rotational resistance. This increases the load on the motor, which is sure to affect the quality and life of the motor in the future.
It is not difficult to avoid negative effects. For this, you need to consider that for electric motors with power up to 500 watts, a trimmer line with a diameter of up to 1.2 mm is ideal. If you can’t get it, you can use 1.6mm filament. Thread with a diameter of 2 mm, in turn, is used for motors with a power of more than 1 kW. It is worth noting that 2 mm cord is often used for winding on a bent mower. If a gasoline-powered device has a straight shaft, you should use 2.5 or 3 mm yarn. The thickest lines are installed only on devices, the power of which is equal or more than 1.3 kW.
Last, but not least, is the type of line section. When selecting it, it is worth focusing on the tasks set for the garden tool. There are several popular cross-sectional variants:
- Twisted. has a small margin of safety, due to which it is suitable only for young grass;
- serrated. characterized by sharp edges, suitable for work on overgrown areas of weeds;
- round. the most common cross-section. These lines handle fresh grass well, but are not suitable for shrubs and dead wood;
- Rectangular, square and star-shaped cross-section types. due to their low strength are used for lawn work.
The strongest and most versatile cord is a two-piece round section trimmer line, with a core inside. This is the right filament for most jobs. At the same time, you must remember that the use of fishing line, ordinary wire and other third-party materials as cord carries a danger to others.
Removing and disassembling the spool
In order to properly wind the line for the trimmer on the grass trimmer reel, it is necessary to become familiar with the structure of the trimmer head. It consists of a protective cover, a bobbin with thread, a housing cover, and a spring, which is only present in some devices.
When you start disassembling the spool, it is necessary to completely turn off/de-energize the device. In this case, the way the work is directly dependent on the type of head. The first option is to perform the following steps:
- You need to squeeze the catches on both sides of the cover.
- After removing the cover, the bobbin is removed. In some models, there may be a spring, which must also be removed.
- In the center of the body is a screw, which should be unscrewed with an ordinary screwdriver.
- When the fastener is removed, it remains to remove the reducer from the shaft, gently rocking the body of the product.
The second option for removing the spool for threading the line in the grass trimmer is to screw the head onto the gear shaft. To carry out this procedure, many devices are equipped with a hole into which a tool can be inserted. Once the screwdriver is inserted, the user has only to take hold of the body of the product and turn it clockwise. It is noteworthy that this method, unlike the previously described method, is notable for its simplicity.
Algorithm of line winding
How you wind the line depends on whether you have one or two wires on the spool and on whether it is an automatic cord reel.
On a spool with a single spool pin
It’s easy to spool fishing line onto a single-tag reel. In such designs, depending on the brand of trimmer for grass, fits from two to five meters of cord. Put the edge of the line in the bobbin through the hole or groove and wind it in the opposite direction to the bobbin’s rotation while working.
Tip! To understand which way to wind the thread, you should look at the body of the bobbin. usually there are marks on it, indicating the direction of the bobbin’s movement when working.
After the line for the trimmer is wound, you need to leave a small piece (15-30 cm), put it through the bobbin outlet and reassemble the head.
On a bobbin with two strands
In this type of bobbin you need to inspect the inside of the spool and determine the number of grooves for winding the cord provided in it.
Important! If there is one groove in the reel, both tendrils must be wound on a common groove, if two. then on separate tracks.
For winding, you need to take a piece of fishing line of two to three meters in length. For spools with a single groove, you should tuck the line for the trimmer into the through hole, align the whiskers, align and wind it on the spool in the direction opposite to its rotation during operation. If you have locking grooves, put the ends of the cord in them, then pull them out into the exit hole, then close the bobbin and put it back in place.
For twin spools, the difference is that the piece of line must be folded in half. Next, you need to charge the middle of the bend into the groove between the grooves, and then wind each of the pieces of line on its track, fix the tendrils and reassemble the spool in the same way as a bobbin with one track.
On a trimmer head with automatic threading
For heads with automatic threading, you just have to start and clamp the edges of the line, and further winding the tool will perform itself when you turn on. There’s no room for error here, because the reel itself recognizes how the tendrils should be positioned.
For your information! The advantages of trimmers with such a head include the convenience of laying the cord, and the disadvantages. expensive and difficult to repair.
Problems and Solutions
Users of petrol and electric trimmers sometimes have problems with the line. Consider the most common.
trimmer line often tears:
- Perhaps there are large stones or branches in the place where you are cutting the grass;
- Be careful when working near mesh fences, as the tendrils of the line are easily broken off when in contact with such fences;
- frequent breaks in the line can be caused by the poor quality of the line used, in this case try to purchase a line from a different manufacturer;
- If the holes in the mowing head are worn, the line for the trimmer will rub against the edges of the sleeves; in this case the part will have to be replaced with a new one.
- the trimmer line is not wound correctly, causing the spool to stop spinning;
- due to skewed coils during winding, the line for the trimmer can get stuck between the coils;
- If the filament is left too short, there is not enough centrifugal force to feed the hedge trimmer properly (retighten the filament before each use)
- cord sticking.
What kind of problems with your grass trimmer’s fishing line and reel do you encounter during use?
Winding the line on the grass trimmer
The measured and careful removal of the bobbin from the reel of the grass trimmer allows you to proceed directly to the winding of the line. The design features of the head, the number and location of fixing holes dictate the sequence of actions in this operation, as well as determine the methods used. There are several different kinds of reels today, depending on the number of fishing line tendrils and the method of threading it:
Grass trimmer reel with one tendril
Many owners and professionals note the ease of using and threading a single-masthead reel. Depending on manufacturer, 2 to 5 meters of line can be spooled. The end of the line is inserted into the head in a special technological groove or hole, and the winding is made in the opposite direction to the working rotation of the bobbin. Most spools have marks on the outside of the body in the form of arrows that indicate the direction of the grass trimmer reel.
After winding you need to leave the free end 15-30 cm to strengthen the centrifugal force, which is decisive for the extraction of trimmer line in automatic and semi-automatic spools. The left end is put through the working hole in the bobbin and the head is assembled.
Trimmer head with two tendrils
After removing the bobbin from the body of the spool, determine the number of lines for winding the line (1 or 2). There is no fundamental difference between bobbins with one groove and with two grooves, but if you do not tuck into a paired groove, there will be problems with operation. Because of the possibility of intertwining of neighboring lines of the tool a situation may occur, when after the wear of the working strands it is impossible to pull out new strands.
Regardless of the number of spools, trimmer line length of 1.5 to 3 meters. Winding must be performed in the opposite direction to the rotation of the head, because winding along the motion will lead to the fact that the line for the trimmer will not be extracted from the bobbin. Once the line for the trimmer is tucked into the grass trimmer reel, we thread the free ends (15-30 cm) through the special holes. Then reassemble the head in the reverse order of disassembly and check its functionality. Do not worry if the ends of the two tendrils are very different in size, because when you start the grass trimmer, the blade mounted on the protection will cut the excess.
Grass trimmer head with automatic line threading
Some models on the market feature a spool with an automatic winding mechanism. The owner only needs to correctly tuck and secure the ends in the head, and the winding operation is performed by the tool itself when turning on the work mode. Incorrectly winding lines in a grass trimmer with this head is virtually impossible, as the spool independently determines the position of the tendrils. The advantages of the automatic grass trimmer head are the ease of line threading, but the disadvantages are the frequent breakdowns of the mechanism due to the complexity of design and high cost.
Block: 3/3 | Number of characters: 3075
Instruction with a step-by-step description of how to wind the grass trimmer reel and lawnmower
In order not to make a mistake with the choice of a suitable fishing line for your tool, you should first disassemble the head, and look at the side of the spool. This information is usually presented on the tip, which will not allow you to make a mistake with the use of appropriate equipment.
If the information on the spool about what diameter line for trimmer can be wound, then this information can be clarified in the manual. Having decided on the thickness or diameter of the fishing line, it remains to figure out how to charge it. There are two ways to do this, but not for all. Consider both methods in detail, and depending on what models brushcutter and trimmer you use, decide for yourself which option is suitable.
This is interesting! The principle of how to wind the line for the trimmer on the lead of brushcutter, is appropriate not only for standalone petrol machines, but also for electric trimmers.
Block: 5/8 | Number of characters: 933
Performing the winding of the fishing line
Slowly completing the disassembly of the bobbin spool without losing any of its parts allows you to move on to the main task of winding the line into the spool. Technological features of the bobbin design and the number of working tendrils determine the sequence of.
Reel with one operating tendril
The easiest option and uncomplicated sequence of operations:
- The size of the reel and the length of the original factory winding determine the recommended line length for winding. 25 m.
- One end of the line is inserted into the fixing technological hole inside the bobbin.
- The line for trimmer is wound on the reel in the opposite direction to the rotation of the bobbin on the trimmer product. usually on the inside of the reel an arrow points in which direction the winding is conducted.
- A small section of fishing line is left free for its conclusion outside. it is fixed in a specialized groove on the inside of the bobbin, designed to hold the winding when assembling the bobbin in working condition.
- The leftover end of the fishing line is passed through the hole in the outer part of the bobbin.
- The bobbin halves are assembled and put on the trimmer bar.
Reel with two operating tendrils
In this type of bobbins, you should determine the number of grooves for winding the line lying on the inside of the spool:
For both cases, a trimmer line with a length of 2-3 m is taken. In single reels the line for the trimmer is pulled through the through hole, its ends (tendrils) are folded together and aligned, then reeled in the opposite direction of rotation of the reel on the boom. inside an arrow usually indicates the correct reeling direction. If there are locking slots the ends of the line are pushed through or held with fingers of free hand, put it through the through hole of the outer half of the bobbin, bobbin is closed and fastened to the shaft of the trimmer.
The difference in the winding of the line in double reels is that initially a piece of line 2-5 m long is folded in half (to determine the middle fold), and the loop of the fold is inserted into a special groove between the grooves. Both tendrils of the fishing line are wound each in its own groove, fixing the tendrils and reassembling the spool is similar to the version discussed above with a single groove.
Performing this procedure for the first time may seem lengthy and rather time consuming, but with time and experience this task will become much faster and easier.
The video below will clearly show you how to tuck the trimmer line into the grass trimmer reel and wind it up correctly. this operation is nothing complicated and with some patience is sure to succeed:
Once the cutting filament is worn out as a result of the operation, turn off the mower and remove the cover on the mowing head. Pull the fishing line out of the slot, pulling it out to the desired length, and reinsert it into the slots. The amount of material wound on the spool is enough for 5-10 cycles of work, depending on the model of the device. When you will install the cover in place, look carefully whether the grooves where clamps are inserted are not clogged, if they are, carefully clean them.
When the trimmer line is worn out, you need to disassemble the mowing head again, pull out the spool and rewind the working trimmer line on it.
Grass trimmer is the most common unit used for cutting grass and cutting small bushes. This device is notable for its ease of maintenance, uncomplicated operation during work, and thanks to its low weight even women can cope with it. It’s no secret that high-quality grass mowing requires proper selection of cutting tools. As the latter, trimmers use special cutting attachments (discs, knives) or trimmer heads with a fishing line inside. Trimmer nozzles and fishing line are consumable tools, but if knives can be sharpened, it is necessary to replace them when the line is used up. In this article we will tell you in detail about how to change the line for your trimmer.
How to remove the spool and replace the line for the trimmer
Trimmer owners, mostly beginners, get confused, bordering on panic, when it becomes necessary to change the cutting tool or the trimmer line in the reel. Very often when trying to unscrew the mowing head, users simply cause it to fail, unaware that it unscrews in the opposite direction. To avoid this in the event of a tool change, it is recommended that you review the step-by-step instructions below.
- Before inserting the trimmer line into the reel, turn off the brushcutter engine or de-energize the electric grass trimmer to avoid injuries that may occur if the cutting tool accidentally starts rotating.
- Unscrew the brush head mounted on the gearbox shaft. To do this, the shaft must be secured by aligning the holes on the washer and on the axle and inserting a metal bar or screwdriver into them.