How to replace, remove the Black trimmer head; Decker GL716
Removing the BlackDecker trimmer head takes a simple tool and little time to replace. Step-by-step description and photo of how to remove the mowing head.
How to remove the trimmer mowing head.
The design and fastening of the working part of the electric scooter differ significantly from different manufacturers. But given that there are many copies of less well-known brands in our markets, the described procedure may suit owners of other portable garden equipment for lawn and grass care.
How to replace, remove the Black trimmer head&Decker GL716
No matter how well the electric trimmer purchased by us works in a summer cottage or a country house, sooner or later the time will come when we need remove the head trimmer for replacement or prevention. I will make a reservation right away that you do not need to completely remove the trimmer head to replace the fishing line. As part of this article, I will tell you how to completely remove or replace the cutting head using the example of the Black electric trimmer&Decker GL716.
How to remove the head on the Black trimmer&Decker GL716.
The trimmer has an overhead engine and curved bar. For ease of use, turn it over with the engine down or lay it horizontally. We disassemble the mowing head. To do this, simultaneously press the side latches and remove the top cover. Disconnect the line spool.
A slightly recessed dark screw is visible in the middle of the head body. We fix the head body with one hand and use an asterisk nozzle to unscrew the screw counterclockwise. If you don’t have a sprocket at hand, you can do this with a wide, flat screwdriver.
Now, pull the trimmer head towards you to remove it. If it is acidic and firmly in place, then add light swaying movements to the efforts, periodically changing the places of their application. Do not use force or shock. The case is plastic and it is quite easy to damage it.
In order to change the line, you need to remove the old one (if it was).
The reel is the part of the trimmer structure that is located inside the mower head, drum or bobbin. Heads vary depending on the manufacturer. But this article only covers Patriot, although their mechanism is used by many other companies.
Instructions on how to unscrew the manual head on the trimmer are described below.
- First of all, you need to clean the head from dirt and adhering grass, if it is dirty. To do this, lift the mower with its head up and, grasping the cover, remove the special protective cover on the drum.
- The next step is to remove the spool from the drum. The reel can be easily removed even with one hand, because it is not fixed in any way inside the drum.
- The drum itself is fixed in the trimmer with a bolt. This bolt must be unscrewed, after which you can easily pull out the drum. To do this carefully, you should support the drum with the spool, while unscrewing the screw counterclockwise.
- Now you can pull the coil out. As mentioned above, it is not secured by anything, except for a hook with a metal shaft, so it does not need to be pulled out with force. Carefully, in a circular motion, pull the spool out of the drum.
- Now it remains to remove the old fishing line and follow the next instructions.
The installation of the spool and drum in their original place is performed according to the reverse algorithm.
Before threading the line, make sure you have purchased the correct thread for the trimmer. In the event that the thread is not suitable, the fuel or energy consumption increases, as well as the load on the engine of the lawn mowers.
In order to replace the thread itself directly, you need to prepare a piece of thread of the required size. Most often, this requires about 4 m of line. The specific figure will depend on the parameters of the thread, for example, its thickness, as well as on the parameters of the spool itself. If you cannot accurately determine the length, you can do the following: insert and wind the thread until the coil is fully charged (the line level will be compared with the protrusions on the sides of the coil). Make sure that the line sits flat in the spool.
The instructions for threading the line into the spool are described below.
- The prepared thread must be taken and folded in half. It should be ensured that one edge is 0.1-0.15 m longer than the other.
- Now you need to take the ends in different hands. The one that is smaller must be pulled up to the larger one so that it becomes 2 times shorter. When bending, maintain an offset of 0.15m.
- Find the notch inside the coil baffle. Gently thread the loop you made earlier into this slot.
- To continue working, it is necessary to determine the direction of winding the thread in the bobbin. To do this, it is enough to inspect the coil – there should be an arrow on it.
- If the arrow-pointer could not be found, then it is quite possible that there is a written designation. An example is shown in the photo below. Inspect the coil head. It has a direction indicator. However, this is the direction of travel of the coil. To get the direction of winding, you need to wind in the opposite direction.
- Now you need to load the spool with line. It is worth noting that there are special guide grooves inside the coil. Follow these grooves when winding the thread, otherwise the trimmer may be damaged. At this stage, you need to charge the coil very carefully.
- When the user has wound up almost the entire thread, take the short end (do not forget about the 0.15m protrusion) and pull it into the hole located in the wall of the reel. Now you need to repeat this action in the same way with the other end (on the other side).
- Place the reel itself in the head of the reel, before passing the line through the holes inside the drum.
- Now is the time to put the drum back in place. After that, you need to take the ends of the line with both hands and pull them to the sides. Then you need to put the lid back on (here you can safely make efforts until a characteristic click is heard).
- Remained to do the "cosmetic work". We need to see if the thread is too long. You can start the trimmer and check in practice if everything is comfortable. If the thread comes out a little long, you can trim it with scissors.
How do I wind the line around the Patriot trimmer reel?
Almost every beginner when using a trimmer is faced with the problem of changing the line. While changing your line is easy, you need to learn how to do it right. Changing the fishing line with proper skill will take no more than five minutes – you just have to constantly practice it. This article will walk you through changing the line using the Patriot trimmers as an example.
Although winding the line is a very simple task, many beginners can wind the line incorrectly. Below are the most common mistakes.
- Many people, when measuring the thread, think that 4 m is a lot. Because of this, people often measure less and, accordingly, they do not have enough line. Do not be afraid to measure out a lot, because you can always cut off the excess.
- In a rush, some people do not follow the threading grooves inside the spool and wind the thread randomly. This will cause the line to come out of the reel and may even cripple.
- For winding, use only the appropriate line. This error is the most common. You need to monitor not only the thickness and volume of the line, but also its type. You should not use the first line that comes across for wrapping, which will not meet the goals. For example, you do not need to use a thread on young grass if you need to mow dead wood.
- Do not turn on the device until fully wound and collected. While this is obvious, some people do it in order to check if everything is done correctly.
- In no case should you confuse the direction of refueling, as this will overload the engine, and it will soon come out of working condition.
It is quite common for beginners to make mistakes, so you must follow the tips in this article.
See below for how to replace the line on the Patriot trimmer.
How to wind the line around the reel of the double barb trimmer
You can look before work, and also take into account the following recommendations.
- If there is only one track, both threads are wound in parallel.
- If there are two tracks, each section is wound in a separate groove.
- Wind the threads in the opposite direction to the rotation of the head.
- The length of the free ends should not exceed fifteen centimeters.
- Thread the ends through the outlet holes.
- Assemble the head and check the trimmer performance.
Before winding the thread on the trimmer spool, you should pay attention to its size. Most often, a line with a cross section of 2 mm is used.
You can choose a suitable diameter in the following ways:
- See the manufacturer’s instructions for the trimmer for recommendations.
- Manufacturers often apply cross section information to the bobbin.
- The cross-section of the cord must match the diameter of the spool hole.
How to wind the line correctly: replacement features depending on the type of removable trimmer coil
To figure out how to thread the line into the detachable trimmer head, the following guidelines and instructions will help.
Line does not lengthen automatically
If the line does not lengthen when you lightly hit the trimmer button on the ground, then the reasons for this may be the following.
Option 1 – a bite has occurred, i.E. Clamping the cord between turns. This problem usually appears if the user has been winding the line on the reel unevenly, with intersecting turns, or winding it with insufficient tension. In the latter case, when the mowing head rotates at high speeds under the influence of centrifugal force, the cord begins to tighten, as a result of which inter-turn clamping of the fishing line is possible. To fix the problem, you will have to disassemble the coil on the trimmer and rewind the cord correctly, that is, in even turns with good tension.
Option 2 – too short ends protrude from the head. The line may not come out when hitting the ground if the ends sticking out of the head are not long enough (short). In this case, the centrifugal force is not enough to stretch the line. Therefore, it is required to stop the unit (turn off the engine or disconnect the trimmer from the mains) and pull the line manually, after pressing the button.
Option 3 – the line is brazed inside the mowing head. This causes the coil to lock and not spin when the button is pressed. Basically, this happens for several reasons: poor quality of the cord, overheating of the coil during prolonged operation of the unit, line hitting hard objects.
- In the first case, third-party cord can be made of low-quality and low-melting materials that cannot withstand mechanical and temperature stress. Therefore, you should give preference to "branded" lines.
- But, if you nevertheless purchased a fishing line of unknown quality, and it is often soldered during operation, then you can follow the example of some users who, after filling the cord into the reel, wet it with either silicone grease (from a can) or mineral oil. This procedure greatly reduces the likelihood of the coils of the fishing line being soldered together.
- Also, the line can be soldered if it hits a hard object (stone, fence, dry branch, etc.) during mowing. As a result, it stretches slightly and is pulled back into the head at high speed. From friction, the cord heats up, and its turns stick together. The only thing that can be done to eliminate this problem is to open the trimmer spool and rewind the line.
Trimmer coil device
Trimmer mowing heads come in a variety of designs, both simple and complex. The picture below shows an exploded view of the semi-automatic trimmer head from a Husqvarna (Husqvarna) lawn mower.
This type of head is present on most lawn mowers and trimmers, such as Stihl (Stihl), Patriot (Patriot), Champion (Champion), Bosch (Bosch), Huter (Huter) and others. The device of the mowing head is quite simple. It includes the following details:
- Mowing head base;
- Button for semi-automatic cord feeding;
- Bobbin (spool) into which the line is tucked;
- Eyes – through them the line comes out;
- Trimmer head cover;
- Fishing line (cord).
There are also simpler trim heads shown in the following photo.
All these attachments do not allow you to change the length of the line in a semi-automatic mode (after pressing a button). If the cord breaks, you have to stop the mower and change it manually.
DIY trimmer coil repair
The trimmer, whether petrol or electric, is the only solution for mowing grass in hard-to-reach places that a wheeled lawnmower cannot handle. As a cutting tool in trimmers, metal knives or a special line are used, which is tucked into the trimmer coil. But, unfortunately, the trimmer heads become unusable over time during operation. Some malfunctions can be corrected by hand, and some require a complete replacement of the mowing head.