Causes and Repair.
I want to share my experience in restoring the necessary power trimmer with a gasoline engine. Sometime in early June, I began to notice that my trimmer model GT22GES (manufacturer of “ECHO”) began to lose its former power. In the process of working when mowing the grass, even with a slight increase in load (grass is higher and thicker), the speed dropped, and the work efficiency was no longer what it was before. Previously, the trimmer did not notice such obstacles at all. With a sharp click on the “trigger” without a load, the momentum increased slowly, as if reluctantly.
I took the User’s Guide to the trimmer, found in it the section “Malfunctions and Elimination.” I chose a suitable fault in the table, which is described something like this: “The engine does not accelerate or decays badly”. Possible causes include an air filter, fuel filter contamination, clogged drainage hole in the fuel tank, spark plug, carburetor, clogged cooling system, clogged exhaust duct or muffler.
As it turned out, the list of possible reasons is extensive. where to start?
- First, I looked the air filter, the drainage hole, the air radiator visually, it all turned out to be in good condition.
- Then I decided to look at the end of the list, that is, to check the exhaust system. the exhaust channel and the muffler. To do this, he removed the spark plug, unscrewed the three screws and removed the plastic protective cover of the muffler. Then, loosening the two long screws, carefully removed the muffler, so as not to damage the two gaskets that are present there. Premonition did not deceive me. The exhaust channel of the engine cylinder (through which exhaust gases exit from the cylinder) was 30–40 percent clogged.
So that was the reason for the disorder of my trimmer!
Carefully, in order not to damage the surface of the piston and to prevent foreign products from entering the cylinder (in other words, that very deposit), I completely cleaned the exhaust channel from soot, carefully purged the channel with a pump.
As a tool, I used a knife (but only from the edge of the channel), and at a depth of the channel a wooden and plastic spatula of suitable sizes.
The silencer was quite clean inside and out.
After the assembly, I started the trimmer, warmed up a little and tried to mow. the engine started working as new, the power increased noticeably, it doesn’t mow the grass, but cuts (3 mm fishing line). It’s nice that the device began to work correctly and doubly pleased that he could find the fault and eliminate it.
Such a problem may likely occur in other models of trimmers because the design of them all about the same and all trimmers have an exhaust channel and a silencer.