Advantages of home-made and purchased trailers
You can get a trailer for a power tiller in two ways: buy it in a specialized store or make a trailer for a power tiller with your own hands. Both options have a number of their advantages and disadvantages.
Purchased models are already made according to ready and tested schemes, you do not need to spend time and effort on their assembly. The assembly of such trailers is done by professional mechanics, who can make strong connections and choose high-quality materials. But there are some negative aspects. First, it is not always possible to get on a conscientious seller, who will release a quality product, and secondly, a good thing is quite expensive.
The self-made version will take a lot of time and effort. But, it also has a number of advantages:
- with the necessary materials, such a trailer does not require a large monetary investment;
- For homemade equipment, you can set the dimensions and parameters that will be most suitable for the user;
- the owner himself selects the details for the trailer, which means you can be sure of the quality of components, connections and the unit as a whole.
- The trailer is made accurately for the specific model of equipment, which allows making the work with it as simple and effective as possible.
Where to start?
The first step in creating a trailer for a motor-block with their own hands will be the development of the drawing. It helps to choose materials of proper quality, define their sizes, make a clear plan of actions and think over all possible contingencies beforehand.
The process should be taken as seriously as possible. In the drawing the trailer is drawn from different sides, the dimensions of the parts are signed near each of them. It is desirable that when creating the drawing the proportions were clearly sustained. Individual more complex assemblies, you need to draw individually in close-up and also from different sides.
While working on the drawing, it is important to think about such points:
- it is necessary to provide in advance what parts and units should be coupled together, and what type of connection will be used in this. Prepare in advance the right amount of rivets, bolts or welding machine;
- Decided to do tipping trailer (with automatic tipping) or conventional with manual unloading;
- What scheme to use in the turning units. it can be a bearing, an axle, a bushing. They will also need to be prepared in advance.
Once the drawing is drawn in detail, you need to study it once again and think through the key points. After that you can already make purchases of materials. In order to save money it is better to first carefully review your stock of metal and wooden structures. Perhaps something can be used in the work.
The main parts of the cart
Standard design of a cart for a power tiller consists of a certain set of elements, but it’s easy to remake it for your needs. For example, the owner of a power tiller may decide that additional components are needed. The basic details will be as follows:
- Suspension. It can be axle or gantry type. It is possible to install a shock absorber, but it will reduce the payload and the whole structure will be more complicated. Elastic elements are not required if the owner plans to ride at a low speed, and the wheel tires have a fairly high profile.
- Frame. It is welded from a piece of profiled tube.
- Body. Versions: with folding or fixed sides. Materials: steel plate, wood or plywood. Metal is connected by welding, wood. metal angle. The steel cart looks solid and is more rugged. The disadvantage is the high weight.
- Drawbar. This component connects the single axle tractor and trailer unit. The length should be chosen so that it is convenient to turn.
- Seat. It is fixed to a cart or hitch.
- Rudder. The most important thing in designing this mechanism is to ensure that there is no risk of deformation on uneven terrain, and there are no increased torsional loads. The task of the steering mechanism is to provide horizontal articulation of the articulated type with two degrees of freedom.
The bogie is supported by two or four wheels. Accordingly, it turns out two-axle or four-axle. What to choose, the owner of the power tiller decides for himself. The version with four wheels is more stable, but it is more difficult to make. Also, a two-axle cart weighs more than a two-wheeled cart. It is recommended to be guided by the power of the power tiller.
Making a plow
Before creating such equipment, you will have to prepare drawings. In them you can specify the main units. ploughshare and moldboard.
- For the working parts, it is worth taking 3-millimeter steel, but first the masters recommend working on a removable ploughshare. In the form of better material for it will act as a disc taken from a circular saw. If it is not available, you can take ordinary steel, which is not specially treated.
- The cutting part will be the working part of the grass scythe, which is hammered on the anvil. The plow must be with a mouldboard, you can proceed to its creation after completing the work with the ploughshare. As a material for this you can take a pipe (50 mm), which will be 5 mm thick. The blade blank can be made by using a gas torch. First cut out the template, the last step is to finish the workpiece on the anvil, and then on the sharpening machine.
There are many different options for assembling trailers, so the first thing to do is to decide for yourself which one suits you best. To make an informed, educated choice, you need to consider all the advantages and disadvantages of the designs.
Fully one-piece designs are reliable, you can carry heavy loads in them, nothing will fall off, since all the walls are firmly welded to the base. The cart is ideal for transporting.
Transformers increase in size, because the sides can be tilted. The most convenient variant. tipper. The body is lifted to a convenient height and all debris is dumped.
How to make a trailer for a power tiller by yourself?
The level of the sides of the standard body is 0.3-0.35 m. Machines used to move large, heavy materials are best equipped with roll cage walls. The height of such design will be 50-60 cm. For easy and convenient use, the tailgate is made with a tilt-and-detach function.
The small device is characterized by the absence of a lifting hydraulic cylinder. The center of gravity of the trailer and the cargo should be calculated instead. It should be on a pivoting axle. This axle is aligned with the wheels of the body. This arrangement facilitates manual tipping.
A wheelbarrow for a power tiller that carries a load of more than 0.35 tons must have a mechanical braking device. This is required in order to supplement the motoblock’s brakes with an auxiliary braking system when descending a steep slope.
Trailer options for power tillers
Depending on the planned volume of transportation, the way the trailer is used and the capabilities of the power tiller, several different variants can be made:
- The lightest single-axle trailer for 50-70 kg. For example, if you have a heavy single-axle rubber-powered garden cart, it’s easier to make such a variant without taking into account the weight of the driver. All you need to do is to weld a trailer hitch for a power tiller, made from a plough hitch, and a small seat stand to the handle;
- Universal small-sized trailer for small loads. Unlike the previous model, this trailer can lift up to 120 kg., Safe and stable even on uneven ground. The U-shaped frame structure is welded from an I-beam, with a plough hitch mounted on the drawbar, which can be used as a stand;
- A heavy rubber-tracked trailer makes it possible to use the power of a walking tractor unit in the most productive way. Having spent money on metal profile and penny spares from running gear of a car you will get a convenient design of a trailer for power tillers at a cost of several hundred dollars.
A heavy version will allow you to transport at once all the mounted equipment, a plow and the whole stock of potatoes for planting. The service life of such a machine is counted in dozens of years.
Trailer frame: 1 strut (21x21x3 angle), 2 seat frame (21x21x3 angle), 3 riser (50x25x4 pipe), 4 seat struts (40x40x4 angle), 5,14 front struts (50×25 pipe), 6,15 longitudinal spars (40x40x4 angle), 7,8 wheel axle right supports (32x32x4 angle), struts 9,16 rear (pipe 50h25), 10 crosspiece reinforcing (angle 40h40h4), 11 longitudinal joint body (pipe 58h4), 12 wheel axle (rod diameter 30), 13,17 transverse side members (angle 40h40h4), 18 braces (s4)
Single-axle tractor. self-propelled technical device, indispensable assistant in a private household. Adding axles, a box and a driver’s seat to the special equipment expands its functionality. A single-axle tractor with a trailer can work as a mini truck.
Characteristics and cost of industrial trailers for power tillers
Industrial, ready-made trailer for power tillers is characterized by load capacity of 0,3 t. 1 t and different dimensions. The cart is selected according to the power of the power tiller and its technical parameters:
- Trailer with overall dimensions of the body 1 m x 0,85-1.15 m, capacity up to 300 kg designed for light power tillers. Cost of body from 200 and higher.
- Adapters for medium power tillers from 5 l. с. dimensions 1×1.4-1.5 m, load capacity up to 500 kg. The average price of a trailer from 250.
- Two-axle trailers are sold for heavy-duty tractors with dimensions of 1.2 m x 2-3 m, load-carrying capacity up to 1000 kg. The cost of cart from 500.
It is not difficult to make a trailer for any single-axle tractor with your own hands. Next we will consider all the fundamental points and the very technology of manufacturing.
Preliminary drawings of a motorblock trailer
Trailer body is usually made of galvanized, steel, painted sheets or of durable plastic. Metal sides and bottoms will last longer than plastic ones, but the second option will cost less in cost.
Install Trailer Trolley for Kultivator/Hand Tractor/Mini Tiller/Rotobator 9hp Farm walking tractor
Once you have decided on the material for the trailer, proceed to drawings or technical diagrams for the supporting elements:
The skill of designer-mechanic is not necessary, it is enough to sketch a sketch of the future carriage.
Why the preliminary step is necessary? The drawing shows the model visually, showing complex areas, clarifying the dimensions, drawing the connecting knot elements and their possible connection or connection. Example drawing:
The drawing shows the way the supporting running gear is connected. The driver is hitched to the module of the power unit by the pivot and the cantilever element; the other end of the driver is attached to the frame by a central tube. The connection to the power tiller is made with the consoles and shafts. The axle rod is made to the size of the coupling mechanism of the motoblock. The upper axle end acts as a support, the pivot assembly of the driver performs the rotation around it on bearings. The ball bearings are covered with an anti-dust cover and the voids are filled with a special lubricant.
An experienced handyman can choose the parts, elements, tools and spare parts according to the drawing. The following parts are needed for the simplest version of the cart:
- Wheels. Wheels from sidecars and cars are most often used. They are bought off-hand or bought at a salvage yard. The size and strength of the rim is suitable for a load of 300 kg t more.
- Wheel axle. Made of steel rod with minimum diameter of 30 mm. The length of the bar is calculated independently, based on the width of the body. optimum size of steel rod so that the wheels of the trailer do not protrude beyond the body.
- Stabilizer ring. Tube 58 x 4 is suitable for this purpose.
- M 8 bolts.
- A beam for a support. 3 pieces.
- Boards for the box.
- Frame for hitching to the tiller.
- Driver’s seat made of improvised material.
- Foot rest.
- An unsophisticated steering axle.
- Bracket from scrap pipe.
- Brackets to fit.
Making and assembling the running gear of a homemade trailer
The steering wheel of a simple design consists of a minimum number of elements welded together according to the following scheme. The maximum loadable parts of the drawbar and swivel are strengthened with stiffening ribs. The driver is hitched to the frame of the power tiller with a hinge. The tube-in-tube structural model forms a semblance of a long pivot and allows the wheel base of the trailer to change position independently, regardless of the wheel base of the motoblock. This solution protects the trailer from deformation and makes it easy to drive over potholes or speed bumps.
Driving wheel is attached to the central tube with bolts, locknuts and pins. A hole is milled in the central tube so that the fixing bolt rotates along the axis of the coupling without a longitudinal displacement.
Wheelbase is constructed of details from any domestic cars, selected wheels, springs, hinges. Parts and elements are welded to the beam and the ends are attached to the longitudinal member.
Drawbar is made of 60×30 mm tube welded to the front parts of side members. The ends of the beams are docked and welded to the drawbar mechanical coupler. You get the analogue of the factory two-beam drawbar.
Material and construction of the homemade trailer frame
The frame serves as the main load-bearing structure. All dimensions and constituent elements should be calculated according to the drawing, with high accuracy, excluding any inaccuracies that arise during sawing, connecting channel, pipes and angles.
A simple, light and sturdy frame is made of rectangular 60 x 30 mm tubes. It will make up the supporting structure. Beams are made of square steel 25 x 25 mm. For safety all elements are welded together and strengthened with several cross bars, leaving an overhang over the longitudinal members. For the uprights, a pair of pipes is welded longitudinally to the front part of the outputs on both sides of the structure. For the uprights, upper strapping is welded from pipes with a cross section of 25 mm.
The material of the carrying frame is chosen according to the characteristics that can provide strength and stiffness, to prevent deformation of the structure at the maximum allowable load. The frame for a self-made trailer for a power tiller is made of any available material: metal angle, steel pipe with rectangular or circular cross-section.
The trailer of the medium power tiller is made on the frame, using the following elements:
- strut 20×20.
- 20×20 corner piece for driver’s seat
- Seat posts made of 40×40 angle.
- front braces from 40×20 pipe.
- frame strapping profile from 40×40 angle.
- angled corner 32×32 for wheel axle strut.
- Rear struts from 40×20 pipe.
- Cross brace from angle 40×40.
- axle bar 30 mm.
- solid triangle.
Intricate design of the frame will provide an excessive safety margin and allow you to carry heavy, bulky cargo and materials in the body. if the loaded trailer is frequently used off-road, it is worth making a reinforced frame. Welding machine. You will need it for firm connection of all parts. In this case, self-tapping screws would not impart strength and durability.
What can be used to build a frame for a cart trailer?
The trailer for the power tiller is made of corrugated sheet metal, sheet metal with a thickness of 1 mm, boards with a thickness of 2 cm, an old car body, a motorcycle sidecar or painted galvanized sheets. Any material available to the bodybuilder that does not increase the cost of construction is suitable for the body.
For the wooden body, the corners are strengthened with metal plates. Fastening to the frame is carried out with bolts and three support frames.
For the body made of profiled sheets or galvanized sheet metal profile is used. It is padded on the bottom along the length and width to protect the bottom material from sagging, warping or bending.
Medium motorcycles. Homemade trailers made of rolled metal. Step-by-step assembly instructions
The first stage of manufacturing begins after drawing and dimensioning a trailed structure. The average single-axle tractor can carry a load of up to 500 kg, so the load capacity of the cart will be large. For the construction it is worth choosing rolled metal that provides the calculated load capacity with a reserve of strength. According to the overall dimensions of the trailer, calculate the meterage of rolled metal and the number of channels, acting as a coupling frame. Accurate calculation helps save on consumables and makes it easier to assemble a complex structure.
- Rolled metal. Length individual, calculated.
- Steel corner 50x25mm.
- Steel corner 40x40mm.
- Rectangular and round pipe scraps.
- 2 cm thick boards for the body.
- 50x50mm timber for the support beams.
Second step. For a quick design, use the ready-made structural diagram in the chapter “Preliminary drawings”.
Make body from wooden boards, use steel angle brackets for the corners. Attach the body to the frame using support beams made of wooden planks. On the body, if desired, make board loops and straps to secure the load during transport. The finished trailer is presented as a single-axle construction. The disadvantage of such a body is that the center of gravity is shifted to the front of the trailer, you have to monitor the correct load distribution during operation. The second disadvantage of single axle trailer design is the lack of a hinged side.
Third step. The undercarriage is assembled from available spare parts and materials. These could be motorcycle wheel and hub assemblies. The ends of axle rod should be sharpened to fit hub bearing diameter.
The wheel axle is a steel rod with a diameter of 30 mm. The length of the rod is calculated so that the wheels do not protrude over the bodywork. The rod is welded to the side members and the body of the longitudinal joint through the oblique section and the corner support.
Heavy single axle tractor. How to make a trailer out of auto parts
A heavy class single axle tractor, such as the Zirka, is equipped with a quality inexpensive trailer made of auto parts. Assembling according to a pre-drawing and prepared parts takes 1-2 days.
- Bracket 65 mm along the length of the body.
- Front axles from Moskvich or Zhiguli.
- Profile pipe 60×40 mm. Length 3.5 м. Quantity 1 unit.
- 2 metre long pipes. Quantity 2 pieces.
- Angles 60×60 mm.
- Welding machine.
The main supporting part will be the axle, made from a channel. Its length is chosen at your discretion, depending on the intended width of the body. Car front axles are welded on both sides of the channel. Lay the profile pipes on top, as follows
- One pipe laid exactly in the center. Length from axle to rear of trailer = 1 m, length at front = 2.5 м.
- On the edges of the channel, at the junction of its end with the half-axles, two-meter pipes are installed. The joint between the channel should divide each one in half.
- Pipes laid parallel to each other.
- The ends of shorter pipes are held at right angles to each other.
The central, long pipe acts as the drawbar. The length can be adjusted to the dimensions of the trailer. From the front corners of the trailer stretch profile pipes or angles, providing structural rigidity and strength. Joints are welded or bolted together.
The simple wooden body with a seat for the driver is installed on the ready frame, and the trailer device is attached to the drawbar.
The box is equipped with brackets, similar to hinges. If necessary, a homemade awning is fastened to the hinges.
Your own trailer for your power tiller won’t cost you nothing. The funds for the purchase of auxiliary and basic parts will have to be allocated. Not all materials will be found in the household. To compare the cost of your own production and the cost of purchasing a new factory trailer, make an estimate. Record all expense items in it. At the end of home production, summarize and get satisfaction from your ability to make useful, necessary items, with profitable savings to the family’s budget.
Peculiarities of trailer design related to its carrying capacity
Before you buy a trailer, remember that it is attached to the power tiller with a drawbar by means of a special trailer coupling. There is a mechanism for coupling on factory-made units. On a self-made trailer to the power tiller will have to make its own.
Still when choosing a model, you need to consider the peculiarities of the design related to carrying capacity:
- Dump trucks, designed for large carrying capacity, are always made with two axles, plus are equipped with hydraulics.
- Single axle dump trucks designed for low payload have manual tipping of the body. To do this, it is placed on the frame with an offset center of gravity.
- Any type of trailer designed for a load capacity of over 350 kg is equipped with a mechanical type brake. When driving with a heavy load, it’s not possible to stop the single-axle tractor only with its own brake.
After getting acquainted with all the nuances of the device, you can go to the store or start making your own trailer.
How to make a hitch on a single axle tractor with your own hands?
Trailer device for power tillers is fairly easy to make with their own hands. Nevertheless, before the work, you will need to prepare carefully, namely. to choose a reliable material and equipment, as well as study the schemes.
It is better to make a quality hitch for your power tiller out of durable metal. As a reliable basis can act channels made according to the factory technology, and with sufficient power reserve. You will need to make a couple of holes in the used channel bars, as a result of which the homemade hitch will be almost half ready.
For the finalization of the manufactured workpiece steel or cast iron parts are needed. But, since the parts made of these materials are quite difficult to process, you can look for and purchase suitable blanks, which will be easier to finish with your own hands. As blanks for the coupling mechanism some spare parts from the car will do. For example, a cardan shaft can play the role of a reliable hitch for a trailer to a motoblock.
Assembling a homemade coupling mechanism should be performed using the following parts:
- metal plates, steel channels, which will need to be used when welding the base of the coupling unit;
- Steel bolts and enlarged studs. used for movable and fixed attachment of coupling mechanisms;
- Adjusting body. a kind of lever will cope with its role, which, when used, will allow you to change the position of the coupling.
To assemble a reliable coupling mechanism for a motor-block it will be possible only with the help of certain equipment.
To work it is necessary to prepare:
Homemade hitch can have any dimensions. Keep in mind that the larger the hitch, the larger and stronger the coupling element must be.