Self-made trimmer line for grass trimmer. How to make a bottle cutter for cutting ribbon from plastic bottles fishing line for a trimmer from plastic bottles
The effectiveness of the trimmer for grass on the lawn and garden plot largely depends on the quality and strength of the cutting line installed on it. There are different types of cord on the market. Having studied their features, it will be easier for the gardener to choose exactly the cord that is suitable for specific operating conditions.
According to the type of factory cutting cord is divided into these types:
- round. the line for the trimmer of this type is most often used by professionals on powerful petrolmowers. These cords are considered to be universal, as they are equally effective with both freshly grown grass and small woody weeds. Another advantage is the tight, even laying of the line with a circular cross-section. During operation, it quickly flows out of the mowing head without jamming or jumping out in too much;
- square ones. used mainly for cutting old overmature grass and few hard weeds. The manufacture of this fishing line produces edges that effectively handle the removal of thin young shoots of wild shrubs and trees. Because of this, the square section trimmer line can be actively used to care for remote areas where it is not possible to regularly mow undergrown grass;
- Twisted cords are another name for these cutting cords. silent. Their main advantage is low sound pressure on the operator. They are effective for cutting woody weeds and thick overripe grass.
To remove particularly large weeds and cut thick young shoots of wild trees, gardeners use reinforced cord. It stands out for its high strength and resistance to tearing. The main drawback of this type of line is a considerable noise level, as well as high engine power required of a brushcutter. This is why a low-powered electric brushcutter with a line and blade cannot be fitted with a thick, reinforced cord.
Which form of line to choose for your trimmer??
Which brushcutter line to choose for grass trimmers, considering the variety of shapes? Let’s consider which form is suitable for which type of work:
- Round solid line. The most popular shape, which can be used for both thin and thick grass. In terms of durability it is not inferior to other types, in some cases it is even slower than pentagonal or square. It is also cheaper than others (for the same cross section). However, it copes worse with thick weeds and is noisier in operation. Although if you work with a gasoline trimmer, then the noise of the line does not play a special role, as its engine noise is louder. The round solid string is good if you most often mow soft grass or the lawn. Of the inexpensive ones, you can take Siat Professional with a thickness of 1.6 mm.
- Twisted round (twisted rope). It mows as well as a solid mowing head, but it is less noisy. All other things being equal, it uses up a bit quicker than solid rope and has a much lower tolerance for stones and other hard objects. Twisted line is worth buying for electric trimmers. The Bosch F016800431 is a prime example of such a twisted nozzle.
- Triangle. There are three sharp edges which handle thick stems better than a round mowing head. The triangle is less often available, and it costs a bit more than the round line for the grass trimmer. Which is better?? Depends on how overgrown your property is. If you mow regularly, the round one is better, but if you come to the countryside in the fall and spring, it is better to take a triangle. As for the thin triangles, we can recommend the Archimedes.
- Solid and twisted square. The square wire is much better at cutting thicker weeds and smaller growth than the round or triangular ones, but costs more. The solid square is superior to the twisted one in terms of consumption, but it is also noisier (for electric trimmers this makes a difference). For infrequent mowing you can get an inexpensive Chinese square twisted head Elitech 0809.006200.
- Pentagon (star). Star is the most popular “faceted” line for dealing with brush and small brushwood. Also unlike a square or round one it cuts fresh grass more gently and doesn’t dry out (leftover stems are meant). However, it tears quicker when hitting stones than round or square strings. The pentagonal mowing head is only worth buying if you have a perfectly flat area without stones and debris. then the consumption will be minimal and the quality of mowing will be top-notch. Of inexpensive we found Huter S20. it’s a German brand, but they make the nozzle in Sweden.
- Hexagon. A hexagon is the best line for a grass trimmer if you need to mow dry grass. Of course, if you have thick undergrowth on your lawn, we recommend using a slotter, but if there isn’t much foliage, a hexagon is better suited. In principle, it has the same properties as the star, but costs a little more (with equal cross-section in the line of one brand).
To summarize, we note that for regular grass mowing (at least once every two weeks) it is best to take a round solid or twisted nozzle. If the plot is thick weeds, then a square or hexagon will do. And for less lawn dryness, a star would be better.
Choosing a fishing line
To make sure you get the right line in the trimmer head, it’s important to choose the right line. The thicker the cord you tuck in, the thicker and tougher the grass it can cut. Often a universal line for the trimmer is used, which has a diameter of 2 mm. You can find the right diameter for your mower in the following ways:
- Check the manual provided with your trimmer for information on line thickness.
- Note the bobbin itself. Sometimes it is marked with information about the possible line diameters.
- Another option is to try inserting the cord into the outlet. If it goes through without difficulty, then the selected line diameter is suitable for use.
Reel for grass trimmer Choose a cord according to the type of engine. If the line for the trimmer is too thick, it will increase the resistance to rotation. the motor will then overheat and will soon fail. Helpful tips:
- For an electric device with a motor less than 500 V, a 1.3 mm thick filament is suitable. If you don’t have one, you can use a 1.6-mm trimmer line. If the power is more than 1 kW, then choose a cord with a diameter of 2 mm.
- With a gasoline grass trimmer, the shaft mower matters. For the bent version, a 2 mm cord is often used. If the shaft is straight, mount a 2.4 to 2.5 or 3mm filament. The thickest line for the trimmer is installed on powerful devices. from 1.3 kW.
Also pay attention to the type of cord cross section. Some popular options:
- The most common lines with a round section. They cut fresh grass well, but perform poorly on shrubs and dead wood.
- Twisted (spiral) cord is not very strong, but not bad for thin young grass.
- Serrated filament with sharp edges is ideal for large weeds in a neglected area.
- You can mow the lawn more evenly with rectangular, starred or square grass trimmer line, but they are not very durable.
- The strongest is a two-piece cord with an inner core and a circular section.
Types of fishing line for grass trimmer Note that you can not use wire, metal strings and ropes, as well as ordinary fishing line instead of fishing line. The device will be dangerous for both the user and others. So the rope or similar products will gradually begin to work, as a result, their ends will unravel, and the small pieces will fly with great speed.
How to wind a trimmer line on the Patriot grass trimmer reel?
Almost every beginner encounters the problem of changing a fishing line when using a grass trimmer. Despite the fact that changing the line for the trimmer is very simple, you need to learn how to do it correctly. Changing a fishing line with the proper skill will not take more than five minutes. you just need to practice it all the time. In this article we will consider how to change the line on the example of Patriot trimmers.
When selecting a quality line for the grass trimmer, you need to pay attention to the technical parameters of the product. For productive operation of the garden tool, the thickness of the line, its strength and the shape of the string section are taken into account.
Classification by diameter
For lawn trimmers, there are lines with a diameter of 1.2 to 4 mm on sale. Dense strings are used infrequently. In general, the grass trimmer uses a cord that is no thicker than 3.2 mm.
The range of lines for grass trimmer is very wide
There is a different thickness of line for each type of grass mowing technique. If you use a thread thinner than is relied on a particular model, the speed of the shaft will increase, which can lead to a decrease in the functionality of the mechanism. A string that is too thick in the grass trimmer slows down the rotation and often causes the engine to malfunction.
Therefore, there is a specific line diameter for each class of grass trimmer:
- Thin line. 1.2 to 1.6 mm. Such a string is designed for regular lawn treatment. It is usually used in electric trimmers with low power. 500W. Mows young grass well.
- Medium trimmer filament. 2.2,4 mm. Cord is used both for gasoline trimmers and for electric machines. With this line it is possible to cut not only succulent grass but also dry, tough lawns.
- Thick cord. 3. 3,2 mm. Cord comes with heavy-duty trimmers with thick stems and dead wood.
2mm diameter filament is used for gasoline trimmers with a curved shaft. Models with a straight mowing head are usually equipped with thicker cords. 2,4 to 3 mm.
4 mm trimmer line can be installed in lawnmowers with very powerful motors. It is most often used to remove overgrown weeds with thick and stiff rods.
Choose a trimmer line of the required thickness according to the operating instructions supplied with the machine.
Classification of lines for grass trimmer
Classification by cross-sectional shape
Trimmer lines are made in different sections. The round shape is considered to be the most practical. They are universal and inexpensive.
Each form of line section has its purpose, as well as the advantages and disadvantages:
- Round thread. Trimmer fishing line comes in a variety of thicknesses and is therefore used to cut any type of grass vegetation. At a low consumption rate it can withstand considerable loads. The disadvantages of the twisted cord are its high noise level and the inability to cut tree-trunk bushes.
- Twisted cord. With this cross-sectional shape you can mow grass of different hardness, including rough dead grass. the trimmer line is very strong and silent. But it can only be used for certain lawnmowers. Also the twisted cord is relatively inexpensive.
- Multifaceted trimmer line. The thread can have from three to six facets. Used for powerful devices. Easily copes with overgrown deadwood and shrubs with sturdy, tough branches. The only drawback is the high consumption of the product.
- Curved cord. The thread can withstand heavy loads. Cuts through grass in any density and density, including brush stems.A special spool is required with this line. Not often used because of high cost.
For regular lawn care mostly round strands are used. All other products with different cross-sectional shapes are used only on thickened areas, where you need to make more effort to clean it.
For regular lawn care, round cord is mainly used
Classification by structure
An important selection criterion for grass trimmer filament is its structure. The qualities and type of material determine the service life of the product. Three types of fishing line for the trimmer are produced:
- Nylon. The most common type of filament for lawn mowers. It is flexible and lightweight. The material is highly wear-resistant and does not deteriorate due to temperature changes. The profitability of using a fishing line is justified by its low cost and productivity.
- Coaxial. Elastic thread inside which there is a strong core. This line for trimmer has high wear resistance and withstands the heaviest loads. It is considered the most expensive and the strongest.
- With aluminum inclusion. With this line you can mow rough weeds, it contains small fragments of aluminum, which give it high strength.
Nylon thread is the most popular among users. Aluminum and coaxial lines for trimmer are mainly used for trimming sturdy branches and dense thickets with a high power grass trimmer
Grass trimmer line winding technology
Once the spool is removed and disassembled you can start winding the line. If there is only one tendril sticking out of the spool, then everything is simple. You need to unwind 2-4 meters of fishing line, this is half a skein of fishing line purchased by you in the store, find on the inside of the spool fixing the fishing line for the trimmer hole, put there one end of the fishing line and begin winding the fishing line for the trimmer in the direction opposite to the direction of rotation of the spool on the trimmer.
On the inside of the spool there is usually an arrow showing in what direction to wind the line for the trimmer. After winding the line for the trimmer, leave a small piece of it to pass it through the round hole of the spool. This piece is fixed in a special groove on the inside of the spool, designed to ensure that at the time of assembly of the spool the line for the trimmer does not unwind. If there is no such a groove, you will have to hold the line for the trimmer with your finger to prevent it from unwinding during further assembly of the spool. Next, take the other part of the spool and thread the leftover piece of fishing line through the available hole. After that, you can reassemble the spool and put it back on the grass trimmer.
How to remove the reel from the grass trimmer and extract the line for the trimmer
Initially, before you tuck the line for the trimmer into the grass trimmer spool, you need to remove it from there. A reel or spool is a device that is located inside the mowing head, spool or reel. There are different kinds of heads (depending on the manufacturers), but the principle of replacing the line on the spool is the same in all. The first thing to understand is how to remove the head from the tool, as well as how to get the reel of fishing line out of it.
This is interesting! You can replace the rigging directly on the tool, but if you do it for the first time, it is still recommended to remove the head, and study the detailed process of winding. After the technology is mastered, it is possible to perform replacement work on the trimmer brushcutter or gasoline mower.
The instruction on how to unscrew the manual head on the trimmer is as follows:
- Turn the tool upside down and, if necessary, clean any dirt from the head. Grasp with two fingers of one hand the locks of the cover (on the mowing head), which are located symmetrically to each other. After lightly pressing them in, remove the protective cover from the drum
- Next, you need to remove the spool of fishing line from the shaft of the reel. The cover is mounted on the shaft without any fasteners and can therefore be removed with one hand
- The main part of the reel is fixed with a screw, which should be unscrewed with a screwdriver with a suitable tip or a bit
- To unscrew the brake drum, hold the base of the brake drum with one hand and use a counterclockwise screwdriver with the other
- Dismounting can then commence. To do this, you do not need to pull it with all your might, and slightly rocking it sideways, slowly bring it out of engagement with the metal shaft on which the drum is planted
- When reinstalling it, the head should be seated in the square shaped slots
This process is not difficult and as you know, there is no need to remove the entire head if you know how to replace. Keep in mind these nuances when dismantling:
- It is advisable to remove the head periodically to prevent corrosion of the screwed connection. If you never unscrew the screw, it can be difficult or, in some cases, impossible to unscrew it
- If the screw has a square shaped head, then a screwdriver or bit of the appropriate size must be selected for unscrewing, in order to prevent the facets on the head from sticking
- When reassembling the unit, the threaded seating should be coated with a lubricant such as solidol or machine oil
- If the edges of the screw have worn off, special tongs can be used to unscrew it
- There are reels that do not require prior disassembly. To remove it, take hold of it, and rotate it in the opposite direction of the clockwise direction
Knowing how to disassemble the reel, you should continue to figure out the process of replacing the grass trimmer line. The video below shows a detailed process on how to open the grass trimmer reel and disassemble it.
Block: 3/8 | Number of characters: 2920
It is important not to miscalculate the choice of consumable in order to thread the line into the trimmer head successfully. The thicker the cord you thread, the thicker and tougher the grass it can cut. Often a universal trimmer line is used, which has a diameter of 2 mm. You can find the right diameter for your mower in the following ways:
- Look at the information on the thickness of the fishing line in the instruction manual that came with your trimmer.
- Note the bobbin itself. Sometimes it is marked with information about the possible diameters of the fishing line.
- Another option is to try to put a cord in the outlet. If it passes through it without difficulty, then the chosen diameter of the line is suitable for use.
Reel for grass trimmer
You can choose the cord according to the type of motor. If the line for the trimmer is too thick, it will increase the resistance to rotation. in this case, the motor will overheat and will soon fail. Useful recommendations:
- For an electric device with a motor less than 500 V, a filament thickness of 1.3 mm is suitable. If you don’t have one, you can use 1.6 mm cord for your trimmer. If you have more than 1 kW, you should choose a 2mm cord.
- With a gasoline grass trimmer, the shaft mower matters. For the bent version, a 2 mm cord is often used. If the shaft is straight, use 2.4 to 2.5 or 3 mm filament. The thickest line for the trimmer is installed on powerful devices. from 1.3 kW.
Pay attention to the type of cross-section of the cord. Some popular options:
- The most common fishing lines with a round section. They mow fresh grass well, but do not handle shrubs and dead wood as well.
- Twisted (spiral) cord is not very strong, but not bad for thin young grass.
- Serrated cord with sharp edges is ideal for large weeds in a neglected area.
- Rectangular, star-shaped, or square grass trimmer lines are the smoothest way to mow your lawn, but they are not very durable.
- The strongest is two-piece cord with an inner core and a circular cross section.
Types of lines for grass trimmer
Note that you can’t use wire, metal strings and ropes, or ordinary fishing line instead. The device will be dangerous to both the user and others. So the rope or similar products will gradually start to work, resulting in their ends unraveling, and the small pieces will fly away at high speed.
Block: 3/6 | Number of characters: 2323
Types of semi-automatic mowing heads
Semi-automatic mowing head. usually consists of a housing with several springs and a bobbin inside. The bobbins, by their design, are divided into:
Many owners of household trimmers convert single-section bobbins to two-section bobbins. To do this, you will need to find a solid metal plate, and put on it the contour with the diameter of the bobbin. After that, the plate is cut on the contour so that the thickness is near the filament winding place. As a result, the resulting circle should move freely around its axis. Then you need to make a cut on the resulting ring and slip the bobbin inside the ring. The two parts should be connected to each other with tape or quick-drying glue. As a result, the manufacturer will have a bobbin in which the line for the trimmer can be wound in two sections.
Classification according to the method of cord charging
Another important factor is the line loading principle in the mowing head. According to this factor, there are the following types of reels on the market:
- fast. to charge devices of this type, the operator using them does not need to remove the headset from its base. All you have to do is gently slip the cord into the center of the coil and wrap it around the base a few times. This is convenient and also saves a lot of time;
- demountable. in order to replace the cord, this type of reel has to be disassembled. Beginning gardeners may have problems with this procedure, but once they have gained the necessary experience, charging the head will be much faster in the future.
As practice shows, for the novice gardener, a fast reel for a grass trimmer is best suited. It stands out for its durability and can be actively used in areas with a lot of hard obstacles.
What coil size to take?
trimmer line can be sold in coils from 15 to 450 m long. What length to choose? There are several factors to consider:
- Mowing frequency. If you visit your country house twice a year (in autumn and spring), you need only one bay, but the smallest one. For regular mowing (once every two weeks) of 10 acres for 7 months (April-October) need from 20 m cord. If you need it for a utility or a “hobby shop”, you’ll need a big bay of 50 m or more.
- Size of area. Small areas in front of the house can be mowed and one spool at a time (up to 5 acres), but for larger areas need more consumables. By the way, one spool holds about 4. 6 meters of fishing line.
- Grass thickness and cleanliness of the plot. If there are a lot of rocks and structures on the site, which need to be trimmed on the perimeter, the cord can diverge very quickly. The same will happen with a thin string if you use it for thick weeds.
If you decide to buy a string that you have never used, take a cut-off or a small coil. For example, if you want to try Bosch cords, you can buy a cut Bosch 016800174. there are 10 pieces of 23 cm each.
If you can, use a brand-name trimmer for your grass trimmer, such as Husqvarna, Bosch, Oregon or DeWALT. If you want to save money, then Denzel, Huter, Elitech or Skrab are good and relatively inexpensive.
Installing the lid on the mousetrap
A mousetrap is made of two identical 1,5-2 liter bottles. In the first bottle only a part of the conical part is cut off, and in the second bottle the conical part is cut off completely. The conical part of the second bottle will be the lid of the trap.
We make two symmetric holes on the edges of the conical part of the first bottle for attaching a fishing line and suspending from this line the bottle tossed over by a rodent. We enclose the cap to the top of the first bottle and mark the centers of the two holes with a diameter of 5-7 mm coinciding with the centers of the holes for the exit line of the suspension. Making holes in the cap. With our own hands we pass the line for the trimmer through the holes in the cap and tie it to the first bottle.
Installing the lid on the mousetrap
The mousetrap is made of two identical 1,5-2 liter bottles. In the first bottle only a part of the conical part is cut off, and in the second bottle the conical part is completely cut off. The conical part of the second bottle will be the lid of the trap.
We make two symmetric holes on the edges of the conical part of the first bottle to attach the fishing line and hang the bottle overturned by a rodent on this line. We put a lid to the top of the first bottle and mark the centers of two holes with a diameter of 5-7 mm coinciding with the centers of holes for the line outlets of the suspension. Let’s make the holes in the lid. With our hands we pass the line for the trimmer through the holes of the cap and tie it to the first bottle.
Is it possible to use a rope instead of a fishing line on the trimmer?
Of course you can. However, one should understand that this undertaking is not safe and that the transmission of the gasoline-powered trimmer will fail very quickly. Indeed, a steel cord is a hundred times stronger than a line, even a special trimmer line. It will not tear so often from the grass, twigs and stones, so it will last much longer.
It should be understood that the line for the trimmer breaks when the trimmer for grass does not just work, but from the strong load. As a result the engine of a brushcutter does not choke and the dynamic shocks to the transmission of a lawnmower are dampened. With a steel rope, the transmission will be under full strain and will fail in no time.
If you really want to try to use a cable on a petrol lawnmower, it has to be installed correctly. First of all, you can’t wind a long rope on a reel. Make its length so that it does not touch the turf trimmer protective cover when rotating the coil.
Be sure to clamp the cable with washers in the middle and place one drop of weld on each end of the cable to keep it from unraveling. As a result, the rope should not have any release and welding at the ends will protect it from unraveling. However, even in this way, it is very unsafe to use the rope on a chain saw or trimmer. It’s so much easier to use pre-made attachments.
Cutting unit attachment
The cutting block is the main part of the Philips Styler. It has short and sharp edges and is used for quick and precise hair length trimming.
To remove the cutting unit from the styler, check to see if there is a release button on the styler. If it’s there, press the button to remove the cutting block.
If your styler does not have an unclip button, place your finger under the cutter block’s prongs and pull it out of the unit. To reinstall, insert the lower part of the cutter block into the body of the styler, and then slide the part with the teeth in until it clicks into place. Do not use excessive force; this may damage the appliance.
If you can not install the cutting unit, check for foreign bodies in the body of the trimmer and try to clean it with a small brush or cotton swab.
No matter how well the electric trimmer for grass we bought worked on the dacha or a country house. Sooner or later the time will come when we need to remove the grass trimmer head for replacement or prevention. I should say right away that you do not need to remove the trimmer head completely to change the line. Within this article I will tell you how to remove or replace the entire cutting head using the example of the BlackDecker GL716 electric grass trimmer.
Tips and advice on how to wind the line for the trimmer and what you need to know
There are some useful tips and recommendations that will be useful to know not only for beginners, but also for the experienced masters. These tips will help prevent negative consequences in the form of injury and malfunctioning of the mechanism. These guidelines state the following:
- Replace the cover until it clicks into place. It is 2 or more clicks depending on the number of catches. If one latch does not click, then when you start the tool, the drum can jump out and injure a person
- Do not wind up the trimmer line with a strong pull on it, or in an amount greater than can be inserted in place. It is better not to coil the snaps than to coil more of them, as this will lead to negative consequences in the form of inability to unwind them if necessary
- If you own the tool not with two leads of fishing line, but with one (usually these are low-powered units), then the winding process is performed in a similar sequence as described above, only with the difference in the absence of the middle rim between the extreme bases of the spool
- After replacing the material, you must first check the functionality of the tool, and then proceed to mow the grass. If you do not make a preliminary test, the scaffolding can unravel and injure people
This is interesting!Choose the correct material, so as not to be injured when working with gasoline mowers, trimmers and brushcutters. When mowing grass, small stones and other materials get under the rotating parts and can fly long distances, so even though a line for trimmer is not a knife, you should wear special protective outfit when working with the tool. The result of the work done is the following. after replacing the new material, the ordinary material is enough for an area of up to 600 square meters, but taking into account the presence of a reinforcing layer on the line. Conventional nylon materials last less, which is important to consider when working. Do not try to mow thick-stemmed grass with a fishing line, as special metal discs or knives are available for this purpose.