Caring for a lawn or flower garden includes not only watering and weeding, but also cutting the grass. Bare land in a flower bed or summer area looks unattractive. Smooth, soft, green “carpet”, of course, is much better.
Choose a fishing line for the trimmer
But to bring the lawn in this form, you need special equipment.
Why lawn mowers?
This kind of gardening equipment is designed for not too large areas where maneuverability is more important than productivity. If we are talking about the same flower bed, then mowing grass in the immediate vicinity of the flowers using a wheeled lawn mower is unrealistic. A trimmer, electric or gasoline, will do just fine with this task.
The essence of his work is this: the fishing line or knife rotates at a fairly high speed and cut the stems. A string or cord is used specifically for cutting grass. Which fishing line for the trimmer is better depends on the task. For soft and hard grass, respectively, you need a cord with different technical characteristics.
Trimmer fishing line: features
To choose the right string, you need to consider several parameters. Firstly, the characteristics of the apparatus must indicate how thick the fishing line can be. When trying to refuel a cord with a large diameter, the thread on the spool will be confused, the engine will overheat, and the bushings will wear out much faster. Secondly, the task matters. mowing grass or cutting dead wood. The power of the device itself also puts its limitations.
The cross section of the fishing line for the trimmer ranges from 1.2 mm to 4 mm.
- 1.2 mm. 1.6 mm. the thin string is designed for continuous lawn care. It is used in devices of low power. up to 0.5 kW. This is a standard fishing line for an electric trimmer.
- From 2 mm. 2.4 mm. suitable for devices with a power of 1 kW. This is the most common option, as it allows you to cut both young and fairly tough overgrown grass. Since the lawn in the cottages is looked after a little less often than it should, a cord of 2.4 mm is most welcome.
- 3 mm. 3.2 mm is used for powerful gasoline appliances. Their task: to cope not only with grass, but also with thick stems of weeds and dead wood.
A string is sold in packaging. bays, the length varies from 10 to 100 m. However, there are also options for selling “cut-off”. In the photo. various types of cord with a section of 2 mm, 3 mm, 4 mm.
Choosing a fishing line not only in thickness but also in shape, this is why: the cord does not cut the stem, but interrupts it. A rotating string repeatedly hits the surface of the stem and, in the end, separates its upper part. For such work, the shape of the cutting edge is an important technical characteristic.
- Round. the most common, as it is universal: you can choose it for mowing both fresh and dry grass. It is considered less noisy, especially spiral. But this parameter is not important in all cases. A fishing line for a gas trimmer can be arbitrarily noisy, anyway, its engine is inaudible at the engine.
- Polygonal. from 3 to 6 faces. Sharp cutting edge better copes with coarse thick stems. So, a square cord with a cross section of 2.4 mm is able to remove raspberry stalks. It is worth noting that with higher efficiency, the polygonal cord is consumed faster, and it should be used only for its intended purpose.
- Curly. an asterisk, ribbed, in the form of a twisted square with recesses and so on. Their “specialization” is different, which is desirable to find out in the instructions before choosing. So, an asterisk is recommended for mowing fresh grass, as it is less traumatic: the grass does not dry after mowing, as when using a round string. In the photo. a cord with a different shape.
Fishing line is made from nylon. polyamide, or polypropylene. In cheap products, there may be an addition of polyethylene. It significantly reduces resistance to temperature and wear.
Polypropylene fishing line for a trimmer, whose bay is stored for a long time, can become fragile. Before use, it is recommended to soak it in water for 30 minutes.
In strings with a large diameter of 4 mm, aluminum particles are added to increase strength.
Do not use cables or wire in lawn mowers: pieces of wire broken off at such a high speed can easily pierce leather shoes.
Coil for cord: characteristics
The trimmer head, in fact, is a special reel with fishing line for the trimmer. Inside it, on the spool, a cord is wound. as a rule, up to 15 m. A thread of the required length is pulled out of it with a break or wear. When the string ends, a new thread is inserted into the bobbin.
By type of cord feed, the drums are divided into:
- manual. to extend the string, the device is turned off and the fishing line is pulled out manually;
- semi-automatic. activated by your favorite folk trick: you need to hit the ground with a mowing head. Upon impact, the anchor mechanism is released, and the cord automatically lengthens;
- automatic. here you need to reduce the speed, and then increase it again to the maximum: the spool will feed the thread as the speed increases.
The trimmer drum is also refilled in different ways. In quick-charging for refueling, there is no need to disassemble the coil, in ordinary ones, it is necessary to remove it and wind the cord by hand. The video shows a different way to replace the string.
3 comments on the entry “Which fishing line for a trimmer is better: which one to choose?”
What kind of fishing line I didn’t use, everything is torn like hell, I honestly don’t know what to do next. Either “slip the shit” or “fake.” For any shit. If anyone knows how and where to find a “negotiated” system. This is a BIG QUESTION.
Video: Which Diameter of the Fishing Line For a Trimmer is Better
2.4. Star. This is if there is a desire to stock hay. And for grinding. round.
Curly shavings more accurately. And round sprinkle around.
A beautiful and well-groomed lawn in front of the house or a neat lawn framed by ornamental shrubs largely speaks not only of the attractiveness of the artistic solution, but also of the industriousness of the estate owner.
And these are not empty words, because systematic lawn care requires not only compliance with technological cycles, but also hard work.
Created and brought to perfection, tools for lawn care simultaneously with the need for skillful handling also require a high-quality selection of consumables, the quality of which largely determines the success of an ideal lawn.
How and which line to choose for the trimmer?
The means of small-scale mechanization offered today for small areas and for the maintenance of large areas with complex terrain, and these are mainly electric and gas trimmers, have a working body in the form of a universal head, in the drum of which a synthetic fishing line or vein is wound, as it is sometimes called.
Basically, all manufacturers of this kind of technology in the instructions for use indicate the parameters of the fishing line. diameter. There is a similar indication on the spool, which indicates the direction of winding the fishing line and its diameter.
However, today there are several types of fishing line for the trimmer, which not only differ from each other in color, diameter and shape, but also have completely different characteristics.
The main parameters of the trimmer line
Manufacturers most often indicate the diameter of the fishing line, and this is partly correct. the mowing head has holes with metal inserts of a certain inner diameter, into which you can not insert a fishing line of a larger diameter.
Thus, one of the parameters of the fishing line is:
The thickness of the thread.
What nuances should be observed during the work?
As with the start of operation of any equipment, it is recommended that you read the instructions before starting to work with the trimmer, just read and not run your eyes, it is simple and extremely useful, in any case, if you are not experienced with this kind of equipment, you can avoid damage at the initial stage.
Already in the future, when experience appears, this largely compensates for the high consumption of fishing line, but nevertheless, it should be borne in mind that initially you must adhere to the manufacturer’s advice.
The second important point is the knowledge of the main parameters of the fishing line and their accounting for work:
- section shapes;
- composition of the thread.
Given that the trimmers have different power, and the destination manufacturers are trying to recommend different thicknesses of fishing line for different models of trimmers.
For small electric machines designed to care for small areas of the lawn, the main buyers of which are housewives, and older people, manufacturers recommend fishing line with a diameter of 1.4 to 2.4 mm.
For electric braids and gasoline trimmers of medium power, which are needed to care for fairly large areas, manufacturers recommend fishing line from 2.4 mm to 3 mm.
Professional units capable of working for several hours in a row, mowing grass in areas with difficult terrain, with shrubs and dry grass, it is recommended fishing line with a thickness of 3. 3.2 mm.
In many ways, the result of the trimmer also depends on the cross-sectional shape of the fishing line. Conventionally, all types can be divided into two types. a fishing line of circular cross section and a fishing line of complex section. square, rectangle, star.
The most common type of fishing line is a fishing line of circular cross section.
This is caused by several factors:
- round thread production is much cheaper than the production of complex sections;
- round thread withstands heavy loads. during mowing, the tip of the fishing line is sharpened and, thus, an even regular cut is obtained, similar to the cut of a hand braid;
- round fishing line is spent less than other types of fishing line;
- round section is available in all types of diameter products from 1.4 mm to 3.3 mm inclusive.
Disadvantages of a round cross section of fishing line:
- makes noise during work, therefore, for particularly tender consumers who do not like to wear headphones, the manufacturer offers a round spiral line with reduced noise during operation;
- despite being present in all kinds of sizes, round fishing line is not suitable for mowing shrubs and dead wood, its main purpose is young green grass.
Fishing line of square or rectangular section:
- The main purpose. professional trimmers for haymowing on tall grass;
- the cut is made by the edges of the rectangle, as a result of which the mowing is smooth, without crushing the stems.
- sizes. from 2.4 mm to 3.3 mm.
Of the minuses:
- high consumption when working on rocky areas, near hedges, trees. the fishing line is quite fragile;
- mainly used on powerful electric and gas trimmers.
Asterisk-shaped fishing line:
- the main purpose is dry grass and small shrubs;
- sizes from 2.4 mm to 3.0 mm;
- some manufacturers for reinforcing the fishing line make it two-component when there is a metal core inside the fishing line;
Of the minuses it should be noted:
- high and very high cost (fishing line with a metal core);
- requires a special coil for a trimmer or special disc;
- when mowing with such fishing line, the use of mowed grass in the form of livestock feed is not recommended.
The composition of the fishing line
However, basically, the service life of the fishing line does not depend on the shape or diameter of the thread, but on what composition it is made of. Most often, domestic manufacturers use nylon as the main material.
It is quite flexible, elastic, strong, and can be deformed by stretching. Relatively easy to withstand heavy loads and high temperatures.
Nylon fishing line in the price range is the cheapest, but this does not mean that poor quality, given the price / quality / performance ratio, the nylon fishing line will show a very decent result.
Coaxial, two-component fishing line can withstand the most stress and is considered the strongest. Its secret is simple. a dense, even rigid core and a rather elastic outer layer.
This combination allows the fishing line to retain its properties for a long time and wear out gradually, much more slowly than a nylon fishing line.
The line with a metal central core was originally intended for professional work. mowing grass along the freeways, cleaning steep slopes, working on rocky areas.
And therefore, it has an appropriate price, which is not entirely suitable for working on a personal plot.
The main criterion for choosing a fishing line should be the correspondence of the diameter of the fishing line to the trimmer, its power, and capabilities.
It is not necessary to put the entire skein of fishing line in a reel, a small length is enough to prevent spontaneous scattering of the working head, especially since to work with the trimmer it is necessary to select the fishing line in the size range specified in the instructions. a light thread of small diameter also harms the tool, as well as a thicker thread.
Overview of the best brands of manufacturers
Among branded threads for trimmers, the greatest authority and popularity among professionals are fishing line Makita, Black&Decker, Husqvarna, Bosch. These are well-known brands that have been setting the bar for quality and innovation for more than a year.
The most common on the market, and quite affordable to the average consumer (both for the amateur and for professional use) are Forte, Intertool, Master Tool, Sturm, Verto, Sadko, Werk, Team leader.