How to properly wind a trimmer line on a grass trimmer: step-by-step guide and video instructions
A beautiful lawn will look really well maintained only if you regularly mow the grass. Grass trimmer is best suited for treating difficult areas. Any owner of the unit sooner or later will face the problem of how to wind the line for the trimmer on the spool, because from the wrong actions can not only worsen the quality of mowing, but also to withdraw the equipment from failure. In today’s Homius review, we’re going to cover all the ways and subtleties of replacing a line and the specifics of choosing a consumable.
Grass trimmers are great for mowing small or difficult areas, such as near hedges, between beds, and along paths. Today, manufacturers produce a large variety of gasoline, electric and battery-powered models, which can be selected under any requirements of the owners.
A line for the grass trimmer is used as a cutting element. As you work, sooner or later the chain will run out of length and then you’ll wonder how to properly replace and secure the thread in the detachable spool.
What to consider when choosing a fishing line
Before inserting and fixing the trimmer line in the removable grass trimmer reel, it is important to choose the right material.
Rating of the best models of gasoline trimmers for grass. An overview of manufacturers and models, as well as useful tips from the experts reviewed in this review will help in the difficult choice among the many models of devices.
Before you put a line on the trimmer for grass trimmer, you need to pay attention to the cross-section of the cord:
- Yarns with a circular cross-section are the most common choice. They perfectly mow the grass even in difficult areas;
- A line for trimmers with a spiral-shaped section is suitable for thin grass. It is not very durable and will not be suitable for old thickets;
- Cord with jagged and sharp edges are chosen for mowing weeds;
- trimmer line with a variety of geometric sections will help mow the lawn more evenly, but the durability of the consumable is low.
Important! The most wear-resistant consumable material. it is a two-component line for trimmer with a round section, reinforced from the inside.
The owner of the brushcutter should know that it is strictly forbidden to use wire made of metal, fishing line and various strings.
Rating of the best electric trimmers for grass. In this review, we will analyze the criteria for choosing an electric trimmer, technical characteristics, as well as the most popular models and brands according to consumer reviews.
Before you wind the thread on the grass trimmer reel, you should pay attention to its size. The most commonly used line for trimmer with a section of 2 mm.
You can find the right diameter in the following ways:
- View the recommendations in the manufacturer’s instructions to the trimmer.
- Often manufacturers put information about the section on the bobbin.
- The cross-section of the cord should fit the diameter of the hole of the spool.
Important! The thicker the line is tucked in, the tougher the grass it can mow.
Instructions for threading the line on the gasoline trimmer
In order for the grass trimmer to work “like clockwork”, it is necessary to choose the correct line for the trimmer, that is, choose it with the grass trimmer model and type of work. Two important parameters in this matter are the diameter and the cross section.
The diameter of the line must comply with the recommended diameter for this model (it is necessarily indicated in the passport of the product). The line is round, square and with sharp edges (pentahedral). Branch line for trimmers with a round section is designed for mowing young grass and lawn, square and pentahedral lines for trimmers are useful if the grass is coarse, and the lawns overgrown weeds.
Step-by-step instructions for threading lines into the weed trimmer
- Push the clips in until they click into place and remove the cover from the mowing head.
- Turn the spool gently, it is released from the holder, and now remove it.
- Cut two identical pieces of fishing line (the edge of the line should be at an angle. this will make it easier to work). Take one of them and insert the end of the line into the special on the reel (there may be hooks, lugs, clips). Then wind the line in the direction of the arrows. Distribute the line for the trimmer evenly, tightly. Insert the end of the line into the hole provided in the spool.
- Do the same with the second piece of line, but put the end of the line on the spool from the opposite side.
- Return the spool with the line to the mowing head. Through the holes in the spool, pull out the ends of the line and tuck them into the special connector of the head.
- Carefully straighten the line for the trimmer and close the cover. Cut the excess line, leaving 12 to 15 cm. each edge.
Everything is ready. The line is inserted in the grass trimmer and is ready for use. Now you can joyfully take on the mowing of your favorite glade, yard, or yard area.
It is important to remember only that on how you tuck the cutting line for trimmer in the trimmer for grass, will depend not only on the quality of the work performed, but also on your safety.
Types of trimmer heads
Grass cutter head is a cylindrical body, in which there is a spool with a fishing line (cord) threaded into it. This design can be installed on both gasoline and electric trimmers. There are three types of heads, depending on how the cord is threaded and fed.
- Automatic. The filament feed is performed after the user has lowered the engine speed. Automatic line feed is advantageous when working with large amounts of line, but this type of bobbin has the disadvantage that it consumes more filament.
- Semi-automatic. This type of head does not require complex manipulation from the user. The way they work is the cord is extended automatically while the machine is running at full speed. It is enough to slightly knock the grass trimmer head on the ground (this removes the cord blockage), and the line for the trimmer thanks to the centrifugal force is pulled out of the bobbin, after which it is cut to the desired length by the knife located on the protective casing.
- Manual. To lengthen the cord, you need to stop the machine, after which the line for the trimmer is pulled by hand.
Based on the above, semi-automatic bobbins are the best option. Also keep in mind that grass trimmer reels for grass come in single strings (used only for grass trimming) and double strings, which are used for mowing tall grass and small, with thin stems of bushes.
Installing the new fishing line on the grass trimmer reel
Equip the bobbin with new fishing line in reverse order. The procedure looks roughly as described below, regardless of the model of lawnmower:
Step one: securing and laying
Fold in half the end of the line. Place the workpiece over the bobbin on each side of each half of the winding area. Wrap both halves completely around the winding drum. Thread the line for the trimmer through the loop.
Procedure to prepare the line engagement in the area of both spooling sections of the reel. The loops are placed in the specially made notches, and then the line is wound in each area It is enough to pull the trimmer line tightly and put the knot in the groove made on each side of the winding drum.
Step two: winding the cutting material in sections
The next step is to wrap the line around the spool, taking care. It is necessary that each half is filled with its “own” winding, evenly, with no overlaps. You can usually see arrows on the body of the winding reel indicating the winding direction. This point should be kept in mind when filling the reel with line.
Step three: complete the head assembly
Pull the ends of the line through a pair of oval slots on the spool. Replace both washers and spring (if any in the design) with the new items included. Bend both ends of the line at right angles.
The final technical touch of the line replacement process on the trimmer is putting the cap on the head and then securing it by applying pressure and a slight twist. Let each end through the hole at the bottom of the spooling drum. Install the spool in the inner area of the head with the stop on the spring. Place the cover, align it with the base and with a slight downward pressure with a slight counterclockwise rotation, place the cover on the locking tabs. That’s the end of the replacement procedure.
Automatic line winding on the spool
There is a kind of spool, in which an automatic mechanism produces winding without helping others. the user only has to correctly tuck in the line for the trimmer. How to tuck the line for the trimmer into the grass trimmer reel? Video instruction. How to remove the spool from the grass trimmer? How to wind on a fishing line for a trimmer in order to tuck in a line for a trimmer. The line for the trimmer is passed through the hole on the inside of the body, its tendrils are passed through the hole on the outside of the body without winding, the bobbin is collected, and when you turn the winding button the line for the trimmer is wound up inside without the help of others. In such a bobbin is unreal to do winding by mistake: the mechanism itself will determine the correct direction, as it can spin only in one direction.
Guaranteed exhaustion of the factory filling grass trimmer will inevitably require the replacement of the line. Having a very rough idea of how to tuck the line for the trimmer into the grass trimmer reel by themselves, beginners are reluctant to take on this task. However, with some skills, mastering this simple science does not present any difficulties, and the following similar instruction will facilitate this process as much as possible.
First of all, for winding the fishing line it is required to remove the spool (bobbin, bobbin) from the grass trimmer. specific actions will depend on the complexity of the configuration and type of the product itself:
- small electric grass trimmers with a working engine and spool in the bottom, usually have side keys on both sides of the reel. Pressing them at the same time releases the upper part of the spool with the internal contents for winding the line, while the lower part stays on the trimmer. It is desirable to disassemble the bobbin on a flat smooth place, so that the spring included in the design does not pop out and not lost;
- electric and gasoline grass trimmers with a curved boom without the possibility of installing a knife, as a rule, have a spool with a special wing nut: in such designs, one hand should hold the bobbin in a fixed position, and the other counterclockwise rotate the fixing reel on the boom nut. After loosening the nut, the entire reel can be removed.
- Electric and gasoline grass trimmers with the possibility of installing a blade on a straight shaft (e.g. STIHL grass trimmers) have a hole under the reel. To immobilize the rod, a screwdriver or other suitable object is inserted into this hole and a slow spinning motion achieves a mutual arrangement where the screwdriver enters the hole and the bobbin is locked. After that, the body of the spool is scrolled clockwise (at the left thread) and removed from the grass trimmer.
For the second and third case, the spools, depending on the design, are disassembled in different ways. In spools with a drum unscrew the drum, in spools with snaps press the locking latches and one part of the spool is released from the other. If the bobbin halves are connected by thread, it is sufficient to turn them by hand in opposite directions until they are completely unscrewed.
How to wind the line for trimmer on the grass trimmer reel. 1 way
Unwind about 4 meters of fishing line for winding. To determine the exact amount of material you need, wind the line for your trimmer from the reel onto the spool, the final result should not exceed the diameter of the spool and should not protrude beyond the edges.
- For convenience, fold the thread in half, make one end longer than the other by 10-15 cm.
- The bobbin has a separating rim that runs down the center of the bobbin. There is a cavity where you need to insert the line for the trimmer. To do this. squeeze the bending point of the thread more forcefully and wind the loop in this cavity.
- Important. you need to determine exactly in what direction to wind the line for the trimmer, to do this, find the inscription on the spool “Wind Line”, about it there is an arrow indicating the direction of winding. If there is no such arrow on the spool, look for an arrow on the mowing head body, you need to wind in the opposite direction.
- Wind the line for your trimmer onto the spool gently, pulling the thread as tight as possible.
- When you are finished, take the shorter end and insert it into the blade on the spool body that corresponds to the diameter of your line. In this job, the thread was spun into the blade marked 3.3mm.
- With the second end do the same, but insert it in the blade opposite to the previous one. Secure the two ends, leave an allowance of 5-10 cm, cut the rest. The allowance is necessary so that when the spool is inserted in the head, the line does not unwind.
Features of trimmer application
Grass trimmer, mowing grass with a fishing line, can be used near: houses and other buildings, fences and hedges, trees and shrubs, beds and flowerbeds, row spacing on the garden plot.
Such a convenient, and most importantly, effective device, as a trimmer for grass, exists in several variations:
As is clear from the names, the types of grass trimmer noticeably differ from one another. But regardless of the type of this tool, its cutting element may be a trimmer line. Of course, the line tucked into the grass trimmer reel for trimmer is not endless. And sooner or later it will be necessary to replace it with a new.
The amount of line you use depends on how often you use the device and the amount of work you do. The more grass you cut and the more often it is trimmed with the grass trimmer, the more the trimmer line is used. And, accordingly, the faster it will run out. In this connection, the question arises: how to tuck the line for the trimmer into the grass trimmer reel?
Not everyone knows the answer to this question. But the winding of fishing line on the reel plays an important role in the work of trimmer for grass. For the device to function properly, it is very important to properly wind the new line for the trimmer on the spool. About how to change the line for the trimmer on the trimmer, and will be discussed in this article.
What line for a trimmer to choose
Before you stock up on this material for filling in the trimmer for grass, you need to decide on the choice. After all, the usual so-called round line for trimmer is not the only type that exists. So how to choose the most suitable one?? The first step is to determine the working conditions.
Choice by type. Round line is the most common trimmer line. It will fit any reel, with very few exceptions. This kind of material is suitable for mowing fresh, lush grass. But this kind of thread cannot cope with mowing dried out weeds. There is no point in even mentioning attempts to mow bushes with this thread.
In addition to the usual type, there are others with sharp edges. They are usually made in a “star” or “square” pattern. A sharp edge is the main feature and the key difference between these threads.
Precisely because of this feature, these types of threads are able to mow dry weeds. But sharp-edged thread is not without disadvantages, the main of which can be called a rapid wear and durability, markedly inferior to the round type.
In addition to the already mentioned types of fishing line, there are other interesting and frequently encountered varieties. Particularly among them can be noted fishing lines, inside of which there is a metal wire. Threads of this type are often used in tools that run on gasoline and have an engine more powerful than one and a half horsepower.
Filaments with a metal core come in both circular cross-section and with sharp edges. Regardless of the cross section type, these threads are the best way to overcome hard-to-cut plants. This type of threads can easily cut not only dry grass, but even small bushes.
Filaments with wires inside compare favorably with other types of consumables because of their incredible durability. But unfortunately, this feature has more than a noticeable impact on the price of this type. The cost of core yarns is much higher than other types of yarns.
Choice of thickness
Also, special attention should be paid to the thickness of the consumable material. For mowing young grass, a filament with a diameter of one and a half millimeters is suitable. The larger the diameter of the line, the drier and coarser the weeds it can handle.
There is a “but” when choosing a line by its thickness. It is important not only to assess the material capabilities, but also to take into account the peculiarities of the grass trimmer. It is necessary to look in the user’s manual, which is included in the tool, and find information about the requirements to the cutting element.
Using the wrong thread can lead to tool failure. Using too much thread will overload the motor. And using too fine a thread will dramatically increase wear on the torque mechanism.
That’s why you should choose the material just as responsibly as you choose to load it into the grass trimmer. When you have found and bought a suitable line for your trimmer, you can start looking at how to wind it on the reel.
If there is a dacha plot or a large plot of land near your individual house or cottage, then it is necessary to use a lawnmower for the convenience of cleaning grass and weeds. If you think of an electric or petrol lawnmower, click here and you will find the comparative products.
Over time, the trimmer line on the mower wears out and needs to be replaced. this can be done yourself. Choose this polyethylene thread depending on the model of the mower. It is also worth paying attention to the other parts of the machine. Here you will find, for example, information about Craftsman mower blades, which are also subject to wear and tear and can lead to irreversible consequences.
The design of the spool into which the line for the trimmer is inserted is very simple. But it differs depending on whether the spool works with one or two tendrils of thread. It is important to follow safety precautions when changing the line on the reel.
Choosing a line
To thread a line into the trimmer head successfully, it is important not to miscalculate the choice of consumables. The thicker you thread the cord, the thicker and harder the grass it can cut. A multi-purpose line with a diameter of 2 mm is often used. You can find the right diameter for your mower in the following ways:
- Look for information on line thickness in the instruction manual that came with your trimmer.
- Pay attention to the bobbin itself. Sometimes there is information about the possible line diameters on it.
- Another option is to try inserting a cord into the outlet. If it fits through without difficulty, then the chosen filament diameter is good enough to use.
Choose a filament according to the type of motor. If the line for the trimmer will be too thick, then the resistance to rotation will increase. the engine in this case will be greatly overheated and will soon fail. Useful Tips:
- For an electric device with a motor under 500 V, a 1.3-mm-thick cord is fine. If you can’t find one, you can use 1.6 mm trimmer line. If you have more than 1 kW, choose a cord with a diameter of 2 mm.
- With a gasoline grass trimmer, it’s the shaft mower that counts. A 2 mm cord is often used for the bent version. If the shaft is straight, install a 2.4-2.5 or 3 mm thread. The thickest line for the trimmer is installed on powerful devices. from 1.3 kW.
Pay attention to the type of cross-section of the cord. Some popular options:
- The most common lines are those with a circular section. They mow fresh grass well, but cope worse with shrubs, dead wood.
- Twisted (spiral) cord is not very strong, but not bad for thin young grass.
- A serrated thread with sharp edges is ideal for large weeds in a neglected area.
- You can mow the lawn more evenly with rectangular, star or square grass trimmer lines, but they are not very durable.
- The strongest cord is the two-piece cord with an inner core and a circular cross-section.
Please note that wire, metal cords and ropes, as well as ordinary fishing line should not be used instead of fishing line. The device will be dangerous to both the user and others. So the rope or similar products will gradually start to trip, resulting in their ends unraveling, and the small pieces will fly with great speed.
Removing and Disassembling the Reel
The grass trimmer head consists of a shroud, a spring (not every model has one), a bobbin with cord, and a cover. Before you start disassembling the coil of the electric unit, be sure to unplug the grass trimmer. Disassembly method depends on how the mowing head is attached. First option:
- To remove the cover covering the inside of the head, press on the latches (latches) located on both sides of the head.
- Remove the cover, under which you can see the bobbin. remove it from the housing. Some trimmer reels have a spring under the bobbin, which should also be carefully pulled out.
- After removing the bobbin, you will see a screw in the center of the housing. Unscrew it with a screwdriver.
- After removing the fasteners, take hold of the part body and, swinging it in different directions, remove the gear from the shaft.
In the second version, the grass trimmer head is screwed onto the gear shaft. To remove it, you need to fix the shaft. To do this, these devices have a hole through which a thin screwdriver or metal bar is inserted. A brief instruction:
- Insert a screwdriver into the hole provided and then lock the shaft.
- Take hold of the body of the head and begin to twist it. Do this in a clockwise direction, i.e. к. thread on the shaft left.
Block: 6/6 | Number of characters: 6
The second method differs from the first one in the fact that not a whole piece of rigging is loaded into the reel, but sections of two parts. This method is used by manufacturers, and it is also suitable for those who have leftover material. The principle of how to insert two sections of fishing line into the lead of the brushcutter is the same as the first method, and to make sure of this, below are detailed instructions:
- There are two equal lengths of material that can be used
- One section is taken, and the edge is bent in the form of a clamping bracket or hook, with which the fixing of the fishing line will be performed
- There are holes inside the reel in the form of a bracket for fixing, which are there for a reason. If they are not available, then the second option will not work. The appearance of these brackets is shown in the photo below. Each bracket is on its own half
- The fishing line should be hooked to the bracket, and produce winding in the direction of the arrow
- A piece of 10-15 cm is winded up until there is nothing left which is fixed in the appropriate hole on the side of the tip
- Manipulations with the other end of the line are carried out in the same way
- The tabs are inserted into the holes in the head, and then, by removing the tool from the temporary mounts in the spool, the cover with locks is installed
The above-described instructions on how to install a line for a trimmer in a brushcutter will not only help you to do the replacement procedure correctly, but also quickly. Assembling the grass trimmer reel, as mentioned above, can be performed without removing the head, but in this case you will need to conveniently fix the tool. Video instruction below.
Block: 7/8 | Number of characters: 1661
Tips and advice on how to wind the line for your trimmer and what you need to know
There are some useful tips and recommendations that will be useful to learn not only for beginners, but also for the experienced masters of the trimmer. These tips will help to prevent negative consequences in the form of injuries and improper functioning of the mechanism. These recommendations state the following:
- Make sure to install the cover until it clicks into place. And it is 2 or more clicks, which depends on the number of clips. If one catch does not click into place, the reel may jump out when the tool is started and injure a person
- Do not coil up the line for the trimmer with a strong pulling on it, and also in an amount greater than it is possible to put it in place. It is better not to reel in more fishing line than it can be reeled in, because this will lead to negative consequences in the form of inability to unwind it when necessary
- If you own the tool not with two line outputs, but with one (usually these are low-powered units), then the winding process is performed in a similar sequence as described above, only with the difference in the absence of the middle curb between the extreme bases of the spool
- After replacing the material, you should first check that the tool works properly and then start mowing. If it is not checked beforehand, the scaffolding can unravel and injure
This is interesting! Choose a material of appropriate quality, so as not to be injured when working with gasoline mowers, trimmers and brushcutters. When mowing grass, small stones and other materials get under the rotating parts, which can fly long distances, so, despite the fact that the line for trimmer is not a knife, work with the tool should be carried out in a special protective outfit.
The result of the work done is the following. after the replacement of the new material, the usual one is enough for an area of up to 600 square meters, but taking into account the presence of a reinforcing layer on the fishing line. Normal nylon material lasts less, which is important to consider when working. Don’t try to mow thick-stemmed grass with a fishing line, as there are special metal discs or knives for that.
Block: 8/8 | Number of characters: 2095
Number of blocks: 12 | Total number of characters: 18355Number of donors used: 4Information on each donor: