The stand for the drill made by our own hands
Simple self-made drill stand made by my own hands, detailed description of manufacturing with step-by-step photos.
Hello all! I want to show a homemade drilling machine made from a drill. The machine is assembled from profile pipe, angle bar and sheet steel, in the manufacture of everything is quite simple.
The carriage on the stand moves thanks to the cable drive, everything works without any problems. If you are interested in the project, I suggest you study it in more detail.
Materials for the manufacture of the machine:
The following photo shows the process of making a homemade stand for the drill.
To make the base of the stand we need a sheet of steel and two angles, the angle is welded to the base, thus strengthening the base and getting a support. If you want, you can weld the ears to the corners to fix the machine to the table. Choose a thicker sheet of steel so it won’t play while working.
Fastening for the stand, I decided to set it with screws, that is, it can be removed and the slope can be adjusted. To make the fasteners for the stand, we weld a pipe from a steel angle and weld the fastener to the base.
The vertical strut is made of a square tube.
We make the carriage by welding two pieces of angle, the result is a square tube with minimal clearance between the rack. To remove gaps as they are worn, you can drill holes, cut threads and tighten screws that will rest on the rack.
The carriage movement mechanism is made from a cable. On the carriage is a roller, which interacts with the cable. Such a roller can be made from a piece of round tube by welding it to a steel rod. As the hinges, just welded steel plates with holes. After welding, we bend the axis and get a lever.
The rope will stretch after a long time of work and must be retightened. To solve the problem in the upper part of the stand a threaded rod with an ear on the end is screwed in vertically. You can also use a nut with an ear, and the rod is simply welded to the post.
To make a mount for the drill, we weld the desired construction from an angle and two pieces of profile pipe. To fix the drill make a simple clamp, here you need a piece of round tube of suitable diameter. Cut the pipe and weld nuts to tighten the clamp.
The photo shows the mechanism of lowering the carriage.
Lubricate all friction joints and paint all other parts to prevent the carriage from rusting.
Homemade machine does a great job of drilling, quite a useful homemade tool for the home workshop!
The return mechanism is the machine’s main control mechanism. It adjusts the carriage and is responsible for returning it to the initial position. It consists of two parts: a spring and a handle. There are two ways of making this mechanism.
The first method uses a pair of springs under the carriage. These springs lock into the slots and the handle is fitted to the end face of the stand.
The rack for the drill with his own hands drawings
In the second case, the spring is attached near the handle. Metal plates (two per side) are installed on both ends of the machine. Holes are drilled in the two front plates and a 1-centimeter diameter axis is inserted. It can be made from an ordinary bolt. The spring is placed between the second pair of plates and fixed with pins on the handle. To make the design work properly, a slot is made in the joint between the pin and the spring.
In both cases the system works in the same way. After pressing the control knob, the springs are compressed and the tool tilts. Once the handle is released, the springs are tensioned and return the drill to its place.
Making a wooden machine: instruction with a step-by-step photo
The easiest to manufacture is considered to be a machine made of wood. The disadvantage of the construction is the weak strength of the material. The wood deforms from the difference in humidity. Over time, there is play in the rack. Wooden machine should preferably be used only for vertical drilling holes.
The order of assembly of the wooden construction is as follows:
For the bed you need a plate. It is made of edged timber 20 mm thick. Plywood can be stitched on top to get a perfectly flat area. The size of the board to choose individually. If the machine is designed only for vertical drilling, the bed dimensions of 50×50 cm will be enough. To perform milling and drilling at an angle, the size of the plate increases to 100×50 cm.
- The carriage is made of a board. The length of the workpiece varies from 50 to 70 cm, but usually the dimensions are adjusted to the model of the drill. On the backside of the carriage and on the front side of the column, telescopic furniture rails are mounted, which serve as a moving mechanism.
To hold the drill firmly in place, it is better to make a block. The unit consists of a piece of board, perpendicularly fixed to the carriage with steel angles.
For the block a square piece of board is taken. Draw a circle in the center. Its diameter must be 0,5 mm less than the thickness of the front part of the drill.
- Circle is sawed out with a jigsaw. The round file is used to make the slot perfectly smooth. The ready block is fastened to the trolley. At the front make a kerf and put a screw clamp.
The carriage with the shoe is mounted on the rack by connecting it with the elements of the furniture rails. It remains to make the control handle, but about this later.
Making a wooden machine tool: instruction with a step-by-step photo
The easiest to produce a machine tool is made of wood. The disadvantage of the construction is the weak strength of the material. The wood will be deformed by differences in humidity. Over time, there is a backlash on the rack. It is desirable to use a wooden machine tool only for vertical drilling holes.
The order of assembling the wooden construction is as follows:
For the bed will need a plate. It is made of edged board with thickness of 20 mm. Plywood can be sewn on top to get a perfectly flat platform. The size of the board is chosen individually. If the machine is designed only for vertical drilling, the bed dimensions of 50×50 cm will be enough. To perform milling and drilling at an angle plate size increases to 100×50 cm.
- The carriage is made from a board. The length of the workpiece varies from 50 to 70 cm, but usually the dimensions are tailored to the model of the drill. On the back side of the carriage and on the front side of the stand are fixed telescopic furniture rails that serve as a movement mechanism.
For a firm grip on the drill, it is best to make a block. The assembly consists of a piece of board fixed perpendicularly to the carriage with steel angles.
For the block take a square piece of board. Draw a circle in the center. Its diameter should be 0.5 mm less than the thickness of the front of the drill.
- Circle is sawn out with a jigsaw. The perfect smoothness of the socket is achieved using a round file. The ready block is fastened to the carriage. A cut is made in the front and a screw clamp is inserted.
The carriage with the block is mounted on the stand, joining the elements of the furniture rails. It remains to make a handle, but we’ll talk about that later.
Drilling stand for the drill
The stand replaces the drill press, and at the same time is versatile. Compact. fits in a small box, the assembly/disassembly process is fast enough. Can be stored unassembled on a shelf, will not take up much space. Important for home hobbies, making circuit boards, etc.п. Sometimes you come across some great products, like this drill stand.
Handy when you do not have a drilling machine or a place to put it. The tool for drilling. mini drill, graver/drill, regular drill. is clamped to a special mount on the movable part of the stand. You can just clamp the motor with the chuck and do what you need to do. This universal device for home use, will help if you need to make a lot of holes with great accuracy, which “on a crank” get with difficulty. For example, drilling circuit boards.
The packaging is a decent box, not crumpled during shipping. No branding, but there are the basic parameters: the height of 400 mm, the neck of the clamped drill up to 43 mm, the height of lowering (drilling depth) up to 60 mm.
Inside the rack set, unassembled. Material “head” and base. aluminum.
Separate base stand
The base has a mass of 300 g, not enough. you can weight it down or fix it on the table top.
There is a place for fixing the vertical tube.
Install and mount according to the instruction (step-by-step assembly)
It is desirable to put a complete plug on a pipe Further, we take the mobile “head”.
On the head is a scale for measuring the plunging depth
On the other side there is a lever of the lowering mechanism
We mount it on the tube, center it, set the height (at will, as you like) and tighten
Release the mechanism (loosen the screw slightly)
That’s all, the rack is assembled
There are some black plastic inserts to fit the drill or engraver
Diameter is about 43mm. If it’s smaller, you can install it through the insert. No more. no more.
There is a sticker with characteristics
And, yes, it is better to grease the fusible parts that the mechanism walks on. For peace of mind. And for smoothness of motion.
I also recommend getting a small clamp or vise, ideally one that fits the part you’re working on. If printed circuit boards, then a clamp to hold the board in place
I have a simple quick-clamp vise
I tried to clamp an electric screwdriver, but the diameter of the fixture is too small.
But under the motors or under the drills/dremels fits perfectly. As a rule, such tools have a power control. It would also be possible to attach a foot pedal or other remote on/off, but that’s the details.
So the rack stays on the graver/dremel. Such a stand is handy for drilling holes, such as for hobbies, when making circuit boards, etc.п. Handy if you don’t just use a clamp, but an XY vise to move in two axes.
Can be converted into a small-sized drill press by simply installing a motor with a chuck in the clamp.
There is a coupon for toolru3
, the price with the coupon is 28.99.Before you buy, check the feasibility of the purchase. there may be more interesting options in offline stores.
Alternatively, you can discount with points (even more profitable)
Goods provided for writing a review store. The review is published in accordance with the Art.18 Site Rules.
Regardless of the rack modification and material of its manufacture, the structural basic algorithm of the device assembly is the same. The manufacturing process consists of preparatory work and the main process, assembly.
- Planning the design of the stand structure;
- Transferring the plan to the drawing;
- Making a list of the necessary materials from availability and those to be purchased. Preparing cost estimate.
Step by step algorithm
- Making the frame. The main support element must be strong enough to withstand the weight of the workpiece and the additional load during drilling. This figure is calculated individually, depending on the type of work. The recommended minimum thickness of the bed of wood. 300 mm, metal. 200 mm.
- Installing the support and uprights on the bed. The elements are made of the same material as the bed. Fasten the parts perpendicularly to the base with screws. The height of the support depends on the height of the tool.
- Cutting out the pad. its size should be identical to the dimensions of the tool. A cavity is cut into the saddle for the tool. If the block is made of wood. use a drill, cutting tools, sandpaper. If the shoe is metal, an angle grinder is needed to create the hole. A metal strip bent around the circumference of the drill and secured with a screw can be used as a block. It is also secured to the post with a screw. Such part of the unit should be able to withstand the weight of the tool during operation. The use of metal in the manufacture of the machine increases the cost of the device, because it requires the use of additional equipment.
- Mounting the carriage and rails. The carriage serves to install the tool, the guides provide vertical movement of the drill during drilling. The most durable attachment of the pad is with iron corners. Mounting the drill to the carriage with clamps is less reliable.
- Locking the moving element, which consists of a handle and springs. This construction unit can be assembled upwards and downwards. Mounting near the handle is more practical, but the second option also has the right to implement.
- Installation of additional parts of the stand. When work other than drilling is required, machine parts are attached to the machine according to the drawing. For example, for angular drilling, the stand is refined with an additional plate with holes, which will help to fix the stand at different angles. Milling requires a horizontal stand with a vice, which is attached to the bed.
Important! Lay linoleum on the metal base of the stand so that metal workpieces are not damaged when drilling.
Materials and tools for making a drill stand for the drill are used depending on the capabilities and availability of available materials. But still a certain list, there is. In the future, when making a personal rack, the materials can be adapted. What you need for work:
- Layout. before you begin, draw a plan of the machine.
- Hammer. required to secure rack elements.
- Bed base. base plate Particle board or metal profile.
- Pliers, pliers.
- Metal bracket.
- Screwdriver set.
- Guide elements for working with drywall.
- Handle or lever for the machine. Can be purchased or made from materials that are available.
- A carving pin.
- Fixing elements. screws or screws in the number of several dozen.
- Additionally, if wood will be used:
- Carpentry glue.
- Cutting tools. saw, screw clamp.
- Materials for making a stand are simple, you can easily find them in a construction store, most of the list is available at home.
- When selecting materials, it should be taken into account that their quality depends on the quality of the stand.
Materials for making the stand are simple, you can easily find them in a construction store, most of the list is at home. When selecting materials, it should be taken into account that the quality of the rack depends on their quality.
The main support part of the device can be made of wood or metal. The iron base is a plate with a thickness of 10 to 20 mm. The wooden base must be solid, taking into account the power of the tool and the direction of drilling. For vertical drilling, the thickness of the plate must be at least 500 × 500 mm. For the rest of the work, the recommendations for the thickness of the wooden plate for the bed are within 1000×500 mm. The minimum thickness of the board is 20 mm.
The material for making the frame can also be a plate made of wood or metal. On the stand are mounted vertical rails for the movement of the drill, as well as a tool retainer. As a rule, a clamp is used, which ensures a secure attachment of the tool. On the rack in addition to the basic elements are installed:
- The support, which is fastened to the stand;
- the machine stand is fixed to the base of the bed with screws and connected to the support;
- the guides, the carriage is mounted on their movable part. Furniture fixtures are suitable as guides. It is necessary to control that the guides do not give backlash in the vertical axis;
- the drill mounting bracket is installed on the carriage. The carriage can be made of metal or wood. The thickness of the material depends on the size and weight of the tool.
There are two options for installing this unit.
The tool in the carriage is secured with clamps. Holes are drilled in the carriage, into which the clamps are inserted. Tightening of clamps ensures encircle and hold the drill, its reliable fixation on the carriage.
The drill is fastened to the special bracket block. The part of the assembly is made of particleboard. Bracket is mounted on metal angles at 90.
To install the drill in the machine, a hole is made in the wooden block with a drill bit. The diameter of the hole should be 0.5 mm less than the diameter of the drill. To be able to insert the drill into the block, a slot is made in it.
To create a hole in the shoe for the tool, you must adhere to the following sequence:
- Draw a circle on the area of the pad, the diameter of which is less than the size of the tool by 0.5 mm;
- on the inside of the circle, not going beyond the line of the figure, drill a few small holes;
- use a sharp tool to cut the partitions between the drilled holes;
- Grind the edges of the tool hole with a file or file. The edges should be flat and smooth.
Help! With the help of an angle nozzle on a power tool, it is possible to perform angular drilling at home.
Mechanism for moving in vertical direction
For the full functioning of the drilling machine it is necessary to install the movement mechanism of the carriage with the drill.
Drill travel mechanism components
The movement mechanism is constructed according to two algorithms to choose from:
- the spring is connected to the handle of the device. The setting handle is fixed on the axle, which is installed between two metal plates. The plates are screwed to the machine stand on both sides of the machine. On the back side of the device the spring is fastened in the same way, its other end is fastened to the handle. The pin of the joint between the handle and the carriage is fastened to the pre-prepared holes.
- Springs are placed in special holes in the bottom of the carriage. In this case, they are fixed in the same way as the top mount. The reliability of the fixation of the lower grooves is ensured by metal corners, which are fastened at the bottom and limit the movement of the grooves.
Synopsis! With an angle attachment on an electric tool, you can do angle drilling at home.
The machine is made simply and does not require professional tooling skills. But recommendations from professionals will help simplify the assembly and make it easier to use in the future.
- Heavy materials or a large sheet of wood are chosen as the bed. You can use the tray from an old microscope.
- It is important to observe the safety instructions. Use eye and hand protection when assembling.
- Wooden elements are easy to make, but can fail from accidental affirmations. Key components: bed, supporting and moving mechanisms. if possible replace with parts made of metal.
- To avoid displacement of the workpiece during operation, work shelf supports and a vice can be used to clamp the workpiece.
- The impact mechanism of the drill helps to cope with particularly hard materials, but loosens the construction, quickly putting it out of operation.
- The power of an electric drill is less than that of factory machines. You should not overload the engine, so as not to burn the tool.
With the help of a simple step-by-step instructions with photos will be easy to assemble a rack for a drill with their own hands. When preparing parts, the craftsman should be guided by the dimensional drawings. If you have succeeded in making a fixture, share feedback, tips and difficulties in assembly in the Комментарии и мнения владельцев.
What a drill stand should be able to do?
As a rule, manufacturers when assembling this tool are guided by the following points:
- The attachment must extend the tool’s range of capabilities. For example, in the presence of a high-quality and solid stand, it is possible to perform and milling of flat surfaces with a drill;
- The stand increases the accuracy of the positioning of the drill, placing the tool strictly perpendicular to the work surface, which is especially important when drilling materials with a thickness twice the diameter of the drill. Otherwise the drilled hole can go at an angle, which is unacceptable;
- The stand is of great help when working with hard materials, when at the initial stage it is quite difficult to keep the drill in one place, avoiding sliding on the surface;
- Among other things, a quality stand should allow drilling holes at different angles, not strictly perpendicular! For example, with the help of modern models, craftsmen are able to perform drill holes at angles of 60-70 degrees.
Considering all of the above, a modern drill stand is able to not only successfully complement the tool, but also make it a full-fledged mini-machine, especially if the supporting surface allows for convenient fixation to the locksmith’s machine or has sufficient mass for a more reliable fixation.
The typical design of modern models provides the following:
- The fasteners are resistant to vibration when working with a drill. In this case the stand completely absorbs all vibrations;
- The base plate equipped with T-slots for fastening the workpiece to be processed. Slots can be positioned along the diagonal of the support surface or parallel to the base. In addition, there are options for supplementing the design of the stand with a vice, but such a solution increases the size of the equipment;
- The possibility of adjusting the height of the drill;
- Adjustable overhang allowing large workpieces to be handled that are unsafe and problematic to overhang;
- Mechanical hole depth limitation.
However, most often even a high-quality and expensive drill stand is not able to meet all these requirements. For example, today there is virtually no simultaneous reliable and universal socket for fixing the drill from any manufacturer, because the unification of such a device is not possible in most cases!
A small alternative for the stand can be a special guide for an electric drill, which solves one simple task. to guide the drill to the desired point. But that doesn’t prevent fatigue in the hands, which can still occur with prolonged use.
Dimensions and design features of the jigs
Today in stores you can find designs from foreign manufacturers, whether from Bulgaria, Germany or China, as well as domestic, such as brands Enkor, Kalibr, Kraton, etc.п. Let’s look at some of them.
In the case of the Wolfcraft steel drill stand model 5027000 from Germany, the distinguishing features will be:
- Clamping tines on a solid cast iron plate to secure the existing workpiece.
- The mechanical drilling depth stop. The assembly is equipped with a special millimeter counting scale.
- Spring-loaded, which allows the drill to return smoothly to its original position, which is useful if you have to repeat the same operation over and over again.
- Mechanism responsible for automatic tool disengagement When drilling several holes of equal depth.
- Main support column, fixed with a steel rail connected to the wheel of the support unit. This guarantees the most precise positioning of the core drill rig when processing the workpiece. No spontaneous turning of the drill during operation is thus prevented.
Several Wolfcraft drills are equipped with a two-stage design with an additional crank to hold the drill and prevent it from falling down.
Many people know about the long service life and good reliability of German tools. In addition, the basic set does not include a fixing vice and the fitting diameter remains unchanged, without the possibility of adjustment. Weight of the rack reaches 8.5 kilograms when ready assembled, which is enough for drills not heavier than 1.7 kilograms. This rule comes from the weight ratio of the supporting and vibrating tool, which should not be less than 5.22. In the case of impact loads this value increases to 10.
In addition to drills, the Bulgarian manufacturer Sparky also manufactures drill stanchions for these drills, which greatly simplifies the tooling. German tool is known for its high quality, and that is why the buyer can safely take the electric drill from Sparky as well as the stand, especially if you consider its democratic price
To the design features of stands from Sparky can be attributed:
- Main carrier frame made of aluminum, offering limited rigidity.
- Electric drill is equipped with clamp clamp without the node fixation, so it will be necessary to periodically tighten during prolonged use of the tool.
- Full unification with the models of this manufacturer.
- Retractable spring is present.
- No mechanism for restricting drill bit movement.
- The presence of only seats for vise grips on the base plate makes it necessary to use additionally the clamping vise in the work.
It is important to note that stands Sparky is not recommended for use with drills over 1000 watts! Since the weight of the stand is only 6 kg, you should choose a drill weighing 1.5-1.6 kg for work, although the manufacturer guarantees a good stability of the device even with 3 kg models.
The domestic manufacturer manufactures its own line of stands for a variety of power tools, including drills. Of the wide range of models, the most popular is the Kalibr 96202, which offers:
- Special sockets for fastening the stand directly to the workbench, thereby reducing the weight limit of the electric drill used. On this basis, the weight of the stand is only 2 kg.
- Diagonal placement of the T-slots for mounting the clamping legs.
- Graduated scale on top of the movable slide, considerably accelerating the pre-setting of the drill before starting work.
- Clamping method for securing the tool, which guarantees a reliable attachment to the drill at moderate vibrations.
, which is the main advantage of the products of this brand.
Equipment for additional functions
To use the drill stand as a milling machine, you must use the horizontal version of the bed presented in the previous paragraph. To such a machine you need to add a rotating plate. It is on it that the tool will be located. Then a hole is made in the stand, in which the drill carriage will be inserted.
Next, holes are drilled on the rotating plate at the most popular inclinations. Join the rotating plate and the stand exactly along the holes. To connect the pins use bolts. Also on the stand of the stand you need to make three holes, in which the pins will be inserted to install the rotating plate.
To use such a machine, you need to turn the plate in the desired position, fix it with pins and start working.
The structure of the drill
Imagination is a sine qua non of any creative success, but in mechanical engineering it is useless without precise calculations and benchmarking against proven solutions. The history of machine tool building dates back thousands of years. foot-operated lathes and drills were already in use at the end of the Stone Age. This article is an industrially-proven example of a table model vertical drilling machine. This is what we will refer to when choosing and deciding how to build a drilling machine by our own hands: there are single machines in operation, which have over 100 years, and they still hold their accuracy.
The design of a bench-mounted vertical drill press is shown in Fig.:
Design of a table vertical drilling machine
Its basic modules. base, column, console and worktable. The parts of the basic units are highlighted in different colors, and the components are marked in brighter colors. The simplest table (not counting the wooden block). vise. Rotary-sliding table allows in addition to drilling to perform some milling operations. The frame is usually fixed tightly to a workbench or other machine tool. secure support.
Mini-drilling machine console screw clamp
During operation, the console by means of the slider’s lifting and swiveling mechanism is set in the required position according to the size and configuration of the workpiece, and fixed. The spindle is fed to the working stroke by a separate feed mechanism. In amateur and industrial constructions for home use, the lifting-sliding mechanism is most often the operator’s hand, and the lock is a screw clamp of the slide, see Fig. fig. on the right side; both are permitted by safety regulations. What is absolutely necessary for a drilling machine as required by the same standards is a bump device or just a bump stop: if the feed knob is thrown, the spindle or carriage with it must automatically bounce up to the stop. In home drills the jackhammer is most often a spring that is installed in a suitable place, see the “Drill Holder” further.
Drilling machine drives
Making the project of assembling a holder for a drill with their own hands, it is necessary to determine the type of lifting and releasing mechanism, which serves for vertical feed of the drill to the workpiece. It is the main characteristic of the machine. The following mechanisms are distinguished:
Spring, spring hinged and hinged units are the easiest to assemble by your own hands. Drawings of a drilling machine from a drill of the spring type assume the placement of the spring either directly at the handle, or at the base of the carriage in special grooves. In the absence of additional locks, it will be impossible to perform milling with such machines, as they require constant manual control of the drill position.
Devices based on rack and “sprocket” (gear wheel, car bendix) must also provide additional clamps. They can be made, for example, by placing an additional screw on the drill mount that works according to the friction principle. When the cutter reaches the desired position, the screw on the guide is tightened, you can start chamfering and grooving.
Screw-type mechanisms work on the same principle as jacks. They are based on a vertically threaded tube that allows rotation around its axis. On the tube is a nut welded to the drill holder. Turning the pipe causes the nut and the tool mount to change position. To increase the stability of the tool during operation, the fixture can also be equipped with a friction.
The wire drive system consists of a tightly stretched metal wire rope and a spool welded to the tool mount, as well as support bars at the upper and lower ends of the carriage. A metal wire is wound on a spool and tensioned on the shackles so that under the weight of the equipment the spool does not slip down. The wire ends are coiled into loops and remain on the frame. It is recommended that the wire length is oversized, so that it is possible to use the same tool on guides of different sizes.
Self-designing of the installation allows you to provide additional design elements that expand the functionality of the product and simplify technological operations. You can add a swivel plate, vertical level, coordinate table, electric drive and much more to your self-made machine.
Rotating plate allows to execute holes located at an angle. To do this, holes are drilled along the arch on the base for the most common angles. The drill is secured in the working position with pins. Coordinate table is used for milling surfaces and grooving. It consists of two mutually perpendicular screw jacks welded together.
The rotation of the lower screw moves the upper part of the table with the workpiece, the upper screw moves only the workpiece. With such a device increases the accuracy of work, the main thing is to weld the moving elements without misalignment.