We already cut the ceiling corners on the inside of the device.
Having inserted the left plinth into the miter box, we cut off the left outer corner. Substitute Right. Right Outer Edge Mode.
First, let’s set the left and right skirting boards at right angles. We insert the left product into the miter box, applying it to the outside, cut off the left inner corner. Then we do a similar operation with the right one. Done.
How to cut a part or product at a 45 degree angle
But it also has some nuances of cutting different corners of this product.
Composition and features of the material
To understand how to properly cut the baseboard, you need to understand its composition. This will help you choose the right tool and cutting technology.
- Styrofoam. The price and strength of this material are the lowest. But since we create decorative ceiling decoration, strength is not particularly required.
- Styrofoam ceiling skirting board is more dense. than regular foam. The most common knife is used to cut such material.
Tip: sharpen the knife well before use. This will eliminate the presence of torn edges at the cut.
- Wood. Here you have to put more effort into processing. Use only a hacksaw for wood.
Tip: The smaller and more frequent the saw tooth, the smoother the edges will be. You can even use a sheet for metal.
- Plastic. How to cut off a plastic skirting board? The same method is suitable here as with a tree. a saw, a hacksaw. Alternatively, you can also use an angle grinder.
потолочный плинтус- правильно режем в стусле
Using a regular hacksaw blade
The product is installed around the perimeter of a rectangular room. Trimmed to trim right angles. Therefore, we will consider how to cut the skirting board at 45 degrees.
Additional installation guidelines
Cutting with a miter box
What is a miter box? This is a special tray made of wood, aluminum or plastic with provided grooves to guide the saw at the desired angle.
Here is a quick guide to using such a carpentry tool:
- Preparation. We take the product and put it in the tray. Align in the position in which it will be installed on the ceiling.
- Cutting. With the other hand, insert the cutting tool into the groove. It can be a knife or a hacksaw. And we cut it boldly. The device will not let you miss the intended place.
You should know: a blade for metal is also suitable for cutting foam.
- Treatment. Wood skirting boards may need to be filed to level the cut edges. Plastic or foam can be tweaked with a knife, the main thing is that it is sharp enough.
Tip: Do not press on the product when cutting. Styrofoam can crumble, and the tree can split altogether.
It’s so easy and simple to use the miter box
By analogy with the outer corner, we cut off the inner one. We only cut the inner left and right edges, respectively.
It is important to remember: the product is always mounted upside down on the ceiling. Therefore, insert it upside down into the miter box. This will help you cut the skirting board correctly.
How to cut a 45 degree ceiling plinth?
The ceiling plinth, or fillet, is the subject of the final decorative decoration of the room, separating the ceiling and the wall. In addition to the decorative function, it also has a completely functional value, hiding the joints of the wallpaper and the ceiling. It is simply impossible to decorate the edges of the wallpaper in any other way, and, as you know, they move away precisely along the edges. Corner decoration can be a problem when using fillets. Mistakes can lead to waste of material, and such incorrectly cut skirting boards look unattractive. In this article, we will look at simple ways to optimally file a ceiling plinth at an angle of 45 degrees.
To cut the ceiling plinth at an angle of 45 degrees, you need to decide on the sides. The main mistake is the incorrect definition of the fillet sides. A proven way to determine the correct side is to apply material in place. So it becomes clear how you need to cut the skirting board. This operation, despite its seeming simplicity, is very laborious, since after trying on the plinth with it you have to go down to the place where the sawing will be done. Most often, in order to avoid deformation or damage to the baseboard, especially if it is made of foam or similar material, you have to cut it on the floor.
Then all this must be lifted back to the ceiling for final fitting and installation, the same steps are done with another segment.
The joints of two skirting boards in the corners should look aesthetically pleasing, so you need to cut or saw them off as carefully as possible. A hacksaw for metal works well for this. In some cases, a sharp knife. If it was washed down correctly, small imperfections can be eliminated with putty or sealant.
Starting the decoration of the room with ceiling plinths, it is necessary to prepare the appropriate tools:
- stationery knife for foam baseboards;
- hacksaw for metal;
- carpentry or simple school square;
- miter box;
- a stable and high enough stepladder.
It is necessary to free up space on the floor in order to make it convenient to cut the skirting boards. It is on the floor that it is best to place a miter box, the length of a table or a portable workbench is not enough to securely place the plinth to be sawn off.
In addition to cutting with a carpenter’s miter box, in which the angles are clearly defined (90, 45, sometimes 60 degrees), there are other methods. expensive is the use of a rotary miter box or a rotary circular saw. Cutting a corner with a tool where it can be adjusted and fairly easy to set is not difficult. Cutting is done either by hand or using a circular.
The purchase of such equipment for finishing one room, bathroom or even an apartment is hardly justified, another thing is professional activity, in this case, of course, it is better not to save.
In order to grind the fillet at home, you can do with a more budgetary option by preparing a homemade plywood miter box. It is important to clearly measure the corners and make cuts, along which the plinth will be sawn off in the future.
In order not to confuse the sides of the plinth and cut it correctly, at first it is better to apply it together with the miter box to the ceiling, gradually a skill will be developed and it will be possible to do without repeated movements up and down.
You can also prepare a kind of miter box layout on cardboard, while the plinth to be sawn off will have to be applied to the layout and marked with a pencil. In order to cut the required corner, it is better to move it to a more convenient place, in addition, it is important not to spoil the layout.
There are ways to cut corners without a miter box. This is all the more important because the angles are not always perfect, and the standard 45 degree angle may turn out to be wrong. In order to make a corner in this way, it is necessary to attach a piece of skirting board directly to the ceiling exactly as it will be mounted. With a pencil, it is necessary to mark the width of the fillet on the ceiling. Attaching the skirting board to the other side of the corner, you also need to mark its width on the ceiling.
There will be two intersecting line segments. Then again you need to attach the pieces of the plinth to the ceiling and mark the same point on them.
It is necessary to cut off from the edge to the marked point, it is important to remember the sides with which the plinth will adhere to the wall and ceiling, in no case should they be confused. Small flaws can be corrected during the installation process, cut with a clerical knife, if the baseboard material allows it. With wooden fillets, everything is much more complicated, there a knife will not help.
In-situ measurements allow cutting both inner and outer corners without great losses, although the latter are not common, yet their finish is significantly different.
How to cut a 45 degree ceiling plinth, see below.
How to cut a plinth for a ceiling
First, a miter box is used to properly cut the skirting board. This device is a special tray that allows you to cut wood, plastic or other materials at the desired angle. The miter box can be purchased in a retail network or made by hand; in the first case, a saw may be included in the kit. However, a tool available from a home craftsman for cutting materials may well be used.
The device has a recess into which skirting boards or boards are inserted. There is also a saw slot with an inclination of 45 and 90 degrees. For example, you can consider how to cut corners on a ceiling plinth at an angle of 45 0 using a miter box.
Such a process involves the following actions:
- The plinth must be attached to the attachment point.
- Make a mark for cutting.
- Install the plinth into the recess of the miter box, pressing it against the surface of the device with its underside. In this case, the side intended for applying the adhesive must look up.
- A saw is inserted into the hole for a 45 degree cut and the plinth is sawed off.
- Using the same saw or knife, the cut can be corrected by removing irregularities.
- The plinth is glued in place. The task of how to cut the ceiling plinth in the corners is considered solved.
Cutting the skirting board in the corners without special tools
The question of how to properly cut off a 45-degree angle on a plinth can be solved without a special device. To do this, perform the following actions:
- Take a sheet of paper and apply a baseboard to it.
- Draw two parallel mowing lines to mark the sides.
- Then they take a regular protractor and measure 45 0.
- The line of the future cut is drawn along the mark made.
- Before trimming the ceiling plinth, it is laid on a sheet of paper, while controlling the coincidence of the lines and sides.
- The markings from the sheet are transferred to the plinth and a cut is made in the right place.
The disadvantage of this method is the need to keep the saw on weight during the cutting process.
How to cut a skirting board for an angle other than 90 degrees
Many rooms boast angles that do not correspond to 90 degrees. Such situations arise as a result of shrinkage of the soil and the structure itself, as well as in violation of the technology of wall construction.
In this case, the correct marking using a miter box or drawing will not work, all actions are performed directly on the spot:
- Before trimming the corner of the ceiling plinth, it is applied to one of the walls and an emphasis is made with the end to the other wall.
- A line is drawn along the plinth.
- Perform similar actions on another wall.
- At the intersection of the two lines, a mark is made on one of the skirting boards, which is connected to the corner of the workpiece. An incision is made along this mowing line.
- Repeat the steps on the other plinth and try on both blanks. Make the necessary adjustments.
- The skirting boards are glued in place, the joint in this case must be tight enough.
How to cut a ceiling plinth in the corners. options and methods
Ceiling skirting boards are an integral part of the finishing of the ceiling space. With their help, cracks and wall defects are masked, they can be used to cover the irregularities of the suspended ceiling structure or wallpaper. In addition, skirting boards complete the interior of the room. One of the problems in the assembly process of these elements is the perfect joining in the corners. The question of how to cut a plinth to the ceiling in the corners is solved in several ways.
Working with outside corners
As a rule, there may be external corners in the rooms, which also need to be pasted over with skirting boards. The question of how to cut the skirting boards at the corners of the ceiling in this case can be solved in the following ways:
- Using a miter box. Almost the same actions are performed as for internal corners. The only difference is that the glued side of the plinth is pressed against the surface of the device.
- The markup is in place. Similar to the inner corners, a mowing line is drawn on the ceiling and the same technology is used. With a rounded external corner joint, the joint is finalized with a knife.
Skirting board cutting tool set
Working tools when solving the problem of how to properly cut the ceiling plinth in the corners are selected depending on the material from which the plinth is made, since each of them has its own processing characteristics:
- The PVC skirting board has no resistance to mechanical stress at all. Even light pressure results in irreparable damage. Therefore, no great effort is required during the cutting process. The question of how to cut a PVC skirting board is solved using a blade, a sharpened construction knife or a hacksaw for metal.
- The skirting board made of polystyrene also does not differ in particular strength, but in comparison with polyvinyl chloride it has a higher quality, moreover, it crumbles easily. Cutting foam ceiling plinths is done with sharp tools, just like PVC.
- Wooden skirting boards have higher strength characteristics and aesthetically pleasing appearance. However, the cost of such products is quite high. For cutting skirting boards made of wood, it is recommended to use a wood hacksaw with frequent teeth, since the teeth of a hacksaw for metal are easily clogged with sawdust.
Self-made miter box
The miter box can be made by hand using wood or metal. The width of the workpiece can be different, the main thing is that it does not exceed the size of the hacksaw, in this case, such a task as cutting off the corner of the ceiling plinth will be easier to complete.
The manufacturing process is as follows:
- A transverse line is drawn in the center of the workpiece.
- From it, in both directions, measure half the width of the workpiece and make marks.
- Labels connect crosswise.
- Now you need to mark the side walls of the device.
- The walls are alternately applied to the base and marks are made in accordance with the markings on it.
- At these marks, straight transverse mowing lines are drawn along the walls.
- Next, they start assembling the miter box. The side walls are attached to the base with self-tapping screws or bolts, depending on the material used.
- Saw slots are made after hollow assembly of the fixture.
With the help of a factory-made or self-made miter box, you can speed up the process of cutting skirting boards up to 10 times. This is especially important for craftsmen who regularly carry out repair work and are faced with the task of how to cut a ceiling plinth.
Fillet trimming procedure:
- attach the fillet to the place of the planned installation and measure
- put the upper part of the plinth (the one that will be applied to the ceiling) on the bottom, the lower part of the plinth. press against the wall of the miter box
- cut the plinth, smoothly and without sharp pressure, at an angle of 45 degrees. The trimming must be carried out with a hacksaw with a fine tooth (optimally. a hacksaw for metal) or with a knife. A large tooth will bite into material, especially foam with its porous structure. the butt will be uneven and chipped
- the operation is carried out in the same way with the adjacent plinth. only the cut is made in another slot at 45 degrees
- attach the obtained skirting boards to the place of planned gluing and select the optimal joining angle. If necessary, trim planes can be adjusted with a sharp knife to achieve the most accurate fit.
Advice! If the need arises on one fillet, simultaneously cut off the outer corner on one side, and the inner corner on the other, the more complex element is cut first. the inner corner.
To trim adjacent fillets for inner and outer corners:
Advice! The most accurate cut can be obtained by cutting two skirting boards simultaneously. Since in relation to each other the skirting boards are sawn in a mirror image, you can fold both skirting boards with the inner sides to each other and fasten tightly in the miter box, after which just make one cut at an angle of 45 degrees.
Smooth and neat skirting corner in the kitchen
The corners of the skirting boards are decorated with a miter box
Ceiling plinth: how to make the corner beautiful and even
Neatly designed corner of the skirting board
The installation of a ceiling plinth is the finishing touch, giving overall completeness and integrity to the upper decoration of the room. This detail not only adds aesthetics to the room, but also allows you to hide the technical gaps, specially made taking into account the thermal expansion characteristic of finishing materials. With a general sufficient ease of installation, one detail. corner joints, causes the greatest difficulty. If performed incorrectly, it will not only look foreign and unattractive against the general background, but also spoil the overall favorable impression of the repair.
How to cut the corner of the ceiling plinth and correctly join the plinth. look at
Docking corners with a miter box
A simple miter box is a wooden (plastic) tray with vertical slots in the walls, into which a hacksaw will be inserted. This design allows precise vertical trimming of the skirting board at an angle of 90 or 45 degrees. In addition, it is convenient to work with such a miter box, because it is possible to carry out a hacksaw not only a vertical cut, but also with a blade inclination of 45 degrees.
The miter box with a swivel mechanism is a professional tool, it allows you to fix the hacksaw blade at any desired angle. If an ordinary miter box is suitable only for cutting skirting boards for docking at a right angle, then with a swivel mechanism. for mounting at any angle.
Cutting corners using markup
If there is no miter box, then this is not a reason to give up, there is a method that allows you to get a good result, you just need to be careful and accurate. First of all, it is required to cut off those sides where the skirting boards will be joined, strictly at 90 degrees.
After that, we take the plinth and attach it to the wall as it is planned to mount it. Pay attention. the precisely cut end is firmly pressed against the wall. Now draw the line with a pencil:
We draw the line on which the plinth will be glued
We take the second plinth and repeat all the operations exactly, but on the other hand:
We get the intersection point of the two lines on the ceiling. this will be the place where the skirting boards will join. Now let’s mark this point on each of the fillets:
Transferring the point of intersection of lines to the skirting board
the line that will run from the transferred point of intersection to the opposite edge of the plinth is the desired trimming line. With a sharp knife (a file for metal), clearly, but without strong pressure, we make a cut. We join the skirting boards in the corner, choosing the optimal position, if necessary, trim the corners with a knife:
How to cut crown moulding angles flat (& adding rope lighting)
If the angle is not straight, the job becomes more difficult, but not much. We just measure its value exactly, divide it in half and get the value required in order to mark the cut of the skirting board. For example, if the angle is 76 degrees, we want to cut at 38 degrees. In this case, it is better to make the initial cut at an angle of 40 degrees, and then at the joining point, adjust the angle with a knife.
Unfortunately, even with the most accurate and scrupulous work, it may turn out that the angle turned out to be not quite even and accurate. maybe not quite a flat wall, the angle is not quite straight, perhaps, when cutting, the material could deform somewhat under pressure. Therefore, the corner may have gaps along the mowing line of the docking, or dents appear on the edges. this looks sloppy and unaesthetic.
Advice! This can be corrected by using a sealant. just fill in the dents and crevices, let the sealant dry well and cut off the excess beads with a knife. and the look is pleasing to the eye again.
Smooth corners of skirting boards can be cut without the help of a miter box
A neat corner in the room, formed with the markup
The markings will help you cut the skirting board neatly and evenly
Ceiling plinth: how to make the corner of the joint correctly?
First of all, solving the problem. how to properly cut the corners of the ceiling plinth with your own hands. can be avoided simply by purchasing special fittings. a corner element. Today you can pick up corner elements for any type of connection. both external and internal. simply insert the ends of the extreme fillets (plinth strips) into the corner.
This is the simplest option, which, on the one hand, provides a high-quality corner connection, on the other hand, it does not require serious skills and allows installation to be carried out without wasting time.
Ceiling plinth. decorative decoration of the room
The plinth runs just below the mowing line of the ceiling along the border of the wallpaper
However, it is not always possible to choose a corner element that would stylistically match the existing skirting boards. In this case, you will have to cut the edges of the skirting boards yourself at a certain angle, which will ensure an even and tight fit of the fillets to each other.
In this case, cutting can be done in two ways:
- using a miter box. a special template tool
- manually. after performing the markup according to a certain method
How To Cut Quarter Rounds For A 90 Degree Angle
Skirting board for a stretch ceiling: types of structures and 60 photos of stylish incarnations in the interior
Lavender (52 photos): planting and caring for a wayward and beautiful plant
How to make a rose out of paper with your own hands: 4 simple techniques
How to make a fireplace out of boxes with your own hands: step by step instructions and 60 simple decor ideas
Decorative fireplace portal: how to make a stylish false fireplace with your own hands?
How to make furniture for dolls with your own hands: 50 photos, useful tips and life hacks