When to change the stretch ceiling
There are such damages to the canvas that cannot be corrected with your own hands or repairs will only temporarily cover the defect. After a short period of time, he will again remind of himself. Malfunction options that are not repaired:
- Film tearing along the seam. The divergence of the cloth along the mowing line of the seam occurs with a strong tension of the material during installation work or other manifestations of the careless attitude of the craftsmen. Another reason for the gap can be the use of a base of poor quality.
- Flooding from above. If the ceiling is made of high-quality polyvinyl chloride, then even with a strong stretching of the film, after the timely elimination of moisture, it will return to its normal position. Cloths based on fabric materials with prolonged exposure to water, especially dirty, absorb impurities. This causes the appearance of permanent stains and streaks on the surface.
- In case of severe and large-scale damage or large holes with torn edges, appliqué, patches, gluing and other methods of decoration become impossible or fragile.
- The service life is more than 10-11 years. At the end of the service life of the canvases, the characteristics of the materials change greatly, which leads to possible deformation or harm to health.
Such cases of damage require a complete replacement of the canvases due to the impossibility of eliminating the causes of deformation with our own hands.
How to fix a hole in a stretch ceiling with an additional lamp
Holes in large stretch ceilings can be hidden by placing a new lamp in place of the defect. This method is possible under the following conditions:
- the size of the hole is not larger than the dimensions of the lamp;
- there are communications on the damaged section of the stretch ceiling, or you can bring wiring there;
- the lighting fixture will harmoniously fit into the place where the hole has formed.
First, a thermal ring is glued to the canvas with a hole.
Cutting holes in Genesis Ceiling Tiles without a hole saw
Then the remnants of the canvas are cut out inside the structure.
The hole inside the thermal ring is made with a sharp clerical knife
Through the resulting hole, take out the wire and connect the lamp to it. In order to avoid melting of the stretch ceiling, you can install only lamps, the power of which is permissible:
- For vinyl films, choose incandescent lamps up to 40 W, halogen appliances no more than 20 W.
- When installed on fabric surfaces, incandescent lamps should not exceed 60 W, and halogen lamps should not exceed 35 W.
How to remove a hole in a stretch ceiling using glue
With the help of glue, you can put in order stretch ceilings with holes as in the photo.
Small, even cut of vinyl
Hole up to 2 cm in the fabric ceiling
Small torn hole in the canvas
Small hole away from the frame
For gluing stretch ceilings, ordinary glue will not work, the use of the wrong preparation can cause irreversible consequences. Because of this, experts recommend choosing a tool that will meet the following parameters:
- quick-drying glue base. eliminates long waiting times for the result;
- absolute transparency. prevents the appearance of stains that are difficult to remove from the surface;
- no deformation effect on the canvas. will not destroy the film.
Adhesives based on cyanoacrylate are suitable for these basic requirements. There are several brands of glue that are suitable for working with ceiling sheets:
- Types 500 and 500 L leave a tough film after application, which effectively adheres the material. 513 type forms an elastic layer during application.
- This Turkish instant gel leaves a clear film after application.
- Contact. Domestic glue, which, complete with the cleaner of the same name, makes the process of gluing the hole easy.
- German adhesive that has been tested by many stretch ceiling installers.
- Types 401 and 404 from this American manufacturer are specially designed for difficult to bond surfaces.
How to close a hole in a PVC stretch ceiling
Vinyl film ceilings are particularly vulnerable to punctures and cuts. In addition, their propensity for instant creep forces the owners to repair the coating as soon as possible. To prevent the hole from growing, immediately after its detection, the edges of the defect are fixed in order to avoid the rapid growth of damage. To prevent the hole from spreading, simple adhesives are suitable: electrical tape, scotch tape, pieces of adhesive plaster.
After fixing the edges, you can hide the hole on the PVC stretch ceiling in any non-aggressive way:
- stick a patch;
- close with an application;
- install lamps or ventilation outlets;
- pull the entire canvas over the frame if the damage is in close proximity to the wall.
A hole in a stretch ceiling: how to glue, how to hide, if pierced, video
Stretch ceiling has become commonplace in many homes and apartments due to its affordable price, beauty and practical features. The stretch fabric is capable of withstanding a load of up to 100 kg per 1 m 2. which is especially important when flooding from above. When the canvas breaks, all the pleasant qualities of the structure come to naught. To restore the appearance and practicality of the upper part of the room, you can repair a hole in the stretch ceiling, instead of replacing the entire coating.
A hole in a stretch ceiling can be repaired with your own hands without calling a specialist at home
How to fix a hole in a stretch ceiling by decorating
A good and original way to close up a hole in a stretch ceiling is to decorate with stickers or appliques. To do this, the place of damage is fixed with a fabric or adhesive patch, and an artistic drawing is made on top of it to match the style of the room. This method will not only hide the defect, but also give the room an interesting look.
Artistic drawing helps to hide damage that is away from the baseboard
For effective fixation of the applique, only special glue is used to prevent the pattern from coming off.
In order for the drawing to naturally fit into the interior of the room, you can make several identical stylized decorated stickers, one of which will hide a hole in the stretch ceiling.
Applique bright drawings can not only hide the hole, but also refresh the room.
Features of removing holes from various types of canvases
Stretch ceilings differ in the type of canvases: vinyl film or fabric base. Both materials require special handling during installation and during structural repairs due to their different characteristics and demeanor.
How to patch a hole in a stretch ceiling made of fabric
Given the strength and resistance to damage of fabric canvases, you can mask a hole in a stretch ceiling made of such material not only in any way suitable for vinyl, but also by stitching.
To do this, choose nylon threads to match the color of the fabric and, carefully applying stitches so as not to damage the material, darn the hole. Such sewn-up holes in the corners or along the walls of the room remain invisible, and in the case of darning in the center of the ceiling, you can additionally paint over the masking with acrylic paint from a spray gun to give the perfect condition.
After competent darning and painting, a hole in the fabric ceiling is almost impossible to find
Sealing holes in PVC foil
Perfectly flat, beautiful, durable and reliable stretch ceiling made of PVC canvas is difficult to damage, but also more difficult to repair.
Sealing a hole in a stretch ceiling depends on the installation technology.
The hole formed due to the lag of the canvas from the wall is most easily eliminated. It is enough to dismantle the film in the damaged place, replace the profile and pull the web into the mount.
If the distance to the wall is more than 15 cm, this method will not work.
Just like on the fabric, you can try to carefully glue small holes with a special adhesive or put a patch on top.
Major damage requires a complete replacement of the ceiling. Do not try to repair it yourself. It makes sense to entrust this to specialists or, if time is not lost, use the services of the installer’s warranty.
An original way to seal holes in stretch ceilings is to give the hole a decorative look, that is, by correctly fixing the edges, install a ventilation grill or ceiling lamp in it. In order for it not to look lonely and ridiculous, most likely, you will have to rethink the lighting of the room and make several more similar lamps and holes for them.
How to patch a hole in a stretch ceiling and where do they come from?
No matter how carefully the stretch ceilings are handled, no one is insured against accidental damage. We must pay tribute to the materials from which they are made, this is a very durable fabric or PVC canvas, and it is not so easy to tear them. But what if, after all, a hole appeared in the stretch ceiling? How to seal it discreetly and firmly?
There can be several reasons for the appearance of holes in the ceiling.
The main causes of damage to stretch ceilings
- The most common cause of a hole in the ceiling is an accidental cut with a sharp object. This can happen when repairing walls and installing skirting boards, as well as when attaching a chandelier or wall cornices. Construction tools in the form of a spatula or screwdriver in inexperienced hands pose the greatest danger.
- Children tossing toys can make a hole in the ceiling. over, you cannot damage it with a ball or a teddy bear, the canvas is elastic enough, in order to break through it, you need a sharper object.
- Much depends on the quality of the ceilings. When amateurs without special qualifications get down to business, a marriage is possible already under tension. A hole quickly forms from an inconspicuous cut.
- The tearing of the film with a champagne cork is more of a myth, but if the cork gets into a poorly sealed seam, this is possible.
- Sometimes the canvases can disperse for no apparent reason. Perhaps, during the installation, the film was overstretched or the matter was in low-quality materials. To avoid this, you should trust the work of specialists and choose materials from a well-established manufacturer.
- At the wall itself, when the profile lags, a hole may form. The main reason is installation errors.
Eliminating a hole in a fabric and PVC canvas is carried out in different ways.
Ways to seal a hole in a stretch ceiling made of fabric
The fabric, as a material for the manufacture of stretch ceilings, has advantages over PVC. This is a convenient elimination of accidental damage using the method of “darning holes”.
A patch is cut out of fabric of approximately the same color. It is glued from the inside on a transparent glue of the Moment type. Then you need to firmly press the edges of the hole to the patch and wait a while so that it does not come off and there are no gaps. So that the defect is not noticeable at all, it is necessary to paint over the place of repair with the same paint.
A small hole can be carefully tightened with nylon threads without darning. If the damage is not very visible and small in size, the task can be considered completed.
If the hole is large or the canvases are dispersed at the seams, there is no need to waste time, they will have to be changed completely.
How to make holes in a stretch ceiling yourself
Work on electric lighting of a room under existing stretch ceilings is considered very difficult, and this must be done with extreme care and accuracy in the following order.
- Holes can only be made when the cable is connected to the right places.
- Then, with the help of special rings, which are made of thermoplastic, a hole is made. Self-made or purchased rings of the required diameter are glued on superglue. The quality of the adhesive matters.
- A puncture is made in the middle of the ring, and a hole is cut out along the inner diameter with a clerical knife.
- Luminaires are installed in the ready-made holes or pre-insulated wire ends are brought out.
Reasons for cutting holes in a stretch ceiling can be a pipe bypass or a special opening for access to ceiling communications. The principle of hole formation remains the same. The most important thing is to fix the edges of the hole as firmly as possible.
An interesting design solution to the issue of eliminating damage to the stretch ceiling film is gluing appliqués over the hole to match the interior. They are made of fabric or colored film. Perhaps it will be an absolutely exclusive drawing with acrylic paints made on a film patch. Appliques will not only hide all defects, but will also become a real decoration of the room, giving it a modern and stylish look. In the meantime, there is no need to worry about it. ”
Repair of damage on PVC cloth
If the PVC sheet is damaged, it is recommended to evaluate the scale, if the cut exceeds 2 cm, then it is recommended to seek help from specialized help.
With a minor cut, which is located not far from the wall. no further than 15 cm, the technology of filling the canvas into the baguette is used.
Table 2. Instructions for closing the gap
|First, the decorative strip is removed, which masks the joint between the wall and the ceiling.|
|The canvas is folded back and heated with hot air of the canvas along the wall where the incision is located.|
|The cut fragment is released when heated when it is most elastic.|
|The harpoon is also flexible and can be easily removed from the profile.|
|The spear is cut along the edge indicated by the dotted line.|
|Harpoon trimming result.|
|The remains of the “skirt” are cut off from the harpoon so that it does not interfere with the threading of the web.|
|A fragment of the “skirt” is removed at the junction of the factory seam and the new one, which is formed when the web is glued. This will allow for a smooth transition with a minimum of wrinkles.|
|The harpoon and the cover are glued together with a multi-purpose glue-gel.|
|Glue is applied to the harpoon.|
|The harpoon is fixed to the canvas so that the damaged area is located behind it.|
|The harpoon is glued, aiming for the factory seam.|
|The remaining excess of the canvas is cut off, leaving a margin of 5-7 mm.|
|In addition, the harpoon is fixed with glue to the left fragment of the surplus of the canvas by tucking it.|
|When the glue is dry, the material is heated and filled into the baguette in the usual way.|
The technology of repairing PVC cloth looks different when the cut is located in the central part. Two methods are used here: fixing an additional lamp or ventilation grill, or a decorative patch.
In the manufacture of the patch, a PVC fragment is used, which is fixed with transparent glue or silicone sealant. this will prevent the damaged area from spreading and enlarging. When the site dries up, a decorative sticker is glued to it, and so that it looks organic, the same is glued in the center, around the chandelier. A flower or butterfly will look organic.
When installing a ventilation grill or a lamp in the place of damage, first fix a plastic ring, which will prevent an increase in the cut.
If the damage is localized in close proximity to the central light source, then it can be masked using a decorative polyurethane rosette.
Separately, it should be said about the properties that glue for PVC film should have. The composition must be transparent, otherwise there is a risk of leaving stains on the surface of the ceiling. The components in the composition of the adhesive solution must ensure its rapid drying without destroying the PVC film.
How to patch a hole in a stretch ceiling: effective ways
Stretch ceilings have become popular not so long ago, but their demand for today proves once again the presence of unique operational properties of the stretch fabric, an unlimited variety of visual effects and the possibility of using it in any interiors. But there is one drawback. the vulnerability of the canvas to mechanical stress. The stretch ceiling can be damaged by accident, while washing it, by hooking it with a sharp object, or when installing (replacing) a ceiling lamp. Some factors act on the web for a long time, which ultimately leads to its sagging or material rupture (elevated temperature, constant tensile load). How to close a hole in a stretch ceiling if such an annoying nuisance has happened? Today’s material about this.
Elimination of damage on the fabric tension cloth
There are several ways to repair minor damage to the fabric. One of them involves the use of nylon thread. the structure of the canvas allows you to simply sew it up. The main thing is to get the threads to match and carefully sew up the cut so that it does not stand out. The fabric cover can be painted with acrylic paint, so the seam can be masked so that it is invisible.
Another option involves applying a patch from the same material. the trim may remain after installing the canvas. You can replace it with a piece of fiberglass. After the patch is installed, the fabric ceiling is painted to obtain a uniform surface layer. This repair method is chosen with a large damaged area. Glue the patch with a colorless glue based on cyanoacrylate.
When cutting out the patch, it is necessary to provide for an allowance of at least 2 cm. Transparent glue is applied to the edges of the fabric, the patch is applied in the required place and pressed. Remove excess glue with a dry cloth. Too much pressure on the patch is not recommended. After the glue dries, the ceiling is painted with water-based paint from a spray gun. this makes it possible to obtain a monolithic coating.
Note! Fabrics with significant damage exceeding 25-30 cm in length cannot be repaired.
Stretch ceiling prices
“First aid” upon detection of damage
If a cut is found, the first step is to prevent further enlargement. Therefore, the place of damage is sealed with masking tape.
Note! If the size of the damaged area is minimal and it is more of a puncture than an incision not exceeding 1 mm, then it is simply covered with glue. This will make the puncture invisible and will not grow in size.
Before taking further measures, it is worthwhile to calmly assess the situation and find out if the canvas is under warranty, if the reason for the damage is under warranty.
Warranty cases include the separation of the baguette and the divergence of the coating along the seam. In this case, if the warranty period has not yet passed, the repair will be carried out by the company that installed the canvas. In the case of a careless attitude that provoked damage to the canvas, an independent repair or a paid one will have to be done by the installer.
Note! If the structure is still under warranty, then even if it is slightly damaged that falls under the warranty repair, you should contact the specialists of the installer. Any independent intervention automatically removes further liability from the contractor for warranty repair.
Types of paintings
Given that this type of finish is one of the most expensive of all existing options, many are interested in the possibility of self-repair if it is damaged. There are cases in which everything is not so scary and a minor cut or tear can be eliminated on your own so that the place of damage will not be conspicuous and will not affect the further operation of the coating.
To begin with, it is recommended to understand what stretch ceilings are. For their manufacture, PVC film is often used. To carry out high-quality repairs and, in general, about its expediency or the possibility of using it, you need to know about the structure of the material and its thickness.
PVC for the ceiling has a homogeneous structure over the entire area of an elastic, durable canvas with a thickness of 0.12. 0.2 mm. Externally, the ceiling can be glossy or matte. Another type is a satin fabric made using a special technology based on PVC, externally imitating the fabric of the same name. The difference lies in the soft, luminous pearlescent luster and the ability to diffuse reflected light.
A fabric ceiling is another type of stretch covering. Essentially, it is a polymer (PVC) impregnated polyester carrier canvas. Reinforcing base makes it less elastic, but more resistant to mechanical stress.
The advantage of fabric over PVC film is its ability to “breathe”. While on the other hand, the film does a better job of retaining water when a top floor leak forms.
Note! Both varieties differ in structure, fastening method, performance properties and repair technology.
Table 1. Comparison of materials
In some cases, you cannot do without the help of qualified specialists, but sometimes repairs can be done on your own.
The materials and tools that are useful in the work depend on the material of the canvas and the characteristics of the damage.
Why does the tensioning web get damaged?
The surface of the ceiling is least of all subject to physical contact from the outside, therefore the probability of its damage is significantly lower and some points can be foreseen.
There are several most likely causes of damage to the tensioning web:
- Hanging curtain rod. In a hurry, the coating can be easily damaged by hooking it with the sharp edge of the product. Therefore, it is recommended to install special overlays on the corners of the cornice.
- Marriage. With a poorly executed butt joint, which is inevitable on PVC canvases, due to the constriction of the film during the installation process, it breaks. A hole in the ceiling can form as a result of the baguette separating and fixing from the wall.
- Incorrect installation. The hole is formed as a result of the deflection of the profile.
- Sudden impact. A hole in the canvas can form with a single, but strong impact. As a result of children’s games. a shot from a toy pistol, a dart or any other sharp object thrown up. During a feast, the cause may be a champagne cork.
- Water leaking from an upper floor or roof. Flooding is more common in kitchens, toilets and bathrooms. In this case, the temperature of the water matters. if it is too hot, then the material will need to be completely replaced.
- Animals. The sharp claws of a cat can cause serious tearing of the web without the possibility of repairing it.
- Natural wear and tear. Even with proper care and use, the material will inevitably sag. To a greater or lesser extent. depends on the area of the room.
Knowing the operational requirements of canvases made of different materials can prevent damage to them. So, more vulnerable to mechanical stress, PVC canvases should not be installed in children’s rooms and living rooms. But in the bathroom or in the kitchen, such a coating, on the contrary, can do a good job in the event of leaks.
Note! The surface of the web is especially vulnerable in the first days after its installation, when the tensile force is still quite high. During this period, it is better to abandon the installation of tall pieces of furniture and the installation of cornices.
Causes of damage
Tears or punctures can occur quite often. They happen for different reasons. The most common are:
- Unscrupulous installation. too strong tension of the material, poorly fixed profile or unsuccessful insertion of built-in lamps in an unacceptable proximity to the seam.
- Toys or other objects thrown too high. sharp parts or nicks on them are dangerous.
- Repositioning tall furniture with protruding corners.
- Installation of curtain rods. carelessness of the master can lead to rupture of the canvas.
- Poor-quality welding of the seam of the panel. when stretched, the film breaks.
It is important not to delay the repair: the stretched surface will spread further due to its own stretching. Therefore, immediately after detecting a cut, you need to glue its edges with masking or double-sided tape.
What if a hole appears on the film surface? The complexity of the repair depends on the location of the damage. To begin with, it will not be superfluous to glue the edges of the hole with tape so that it does not grow further. If the cut is next to the wall (at a distance of no more than 15 cm), then the canvas is carefully removed from the profile. A cable is glued along the edge of the hole parallel to the profile. The punctured place is cut off, and the material is heated and stretched again with the help of a building hair dryer.
If the cut is small (up to 2 cm) and located far from the wall, then a built-in lamp can be made in its place. To do this, a plastic thermal ring is glued to the film so that the hole is inside it, and then the necessary hole is cut inside it and the lighting device is mounted. Instead of a lamp, you can mask the defect with a ventilation grill.
Can a hole in a PVC film stretch ceiling be repaired with a patch? Yes it is possible. A repair kit is usually attached to a stretched panel, from where you can take the remains. Alternatively, ask the installer for a piece of material. They usually have a lot of scraps. Next, you need to cut a suitable piece, remove the adhesive tape and glue the cut. Only you won’t be able to paint over such a patch. the glossy film repels the paint.
How to seal a hole in a stretch ceiling: practical advice
The easiest way to fix a fabric ceiling is. A small cut with straight edges is darned with synthetic thread and painted over with acrylic paint to mask the seam. If the hole is large, select a fabric of a suitable color. It’s good if it is a piece of material left over from the repair. As a last resort, you can take any dense fabric or fiberglass, since they are similar in structure and will do an excellent job. Next, a patch the size of the damaged area plus a couple of centimeters of stock is cut out of it. Having smeared the edges well with transparent glue, glue it to the main panel. Carefully smooth the bonding area to avoid the appearance of wrinkles. If there is no fabric of a similar color, then you can take any other for the patch. And at the end of the repair, paint this area in the desired color.
How to remove a cut in a stretch ceiling:
Stretched canvases are perhaps the most popular type of decoration for the top of a room. But there are situations when the material breaks for some reason. Is it possible to correct the situation and how to close the hole in the stretch ceiling on our own, we will tell in the article.
How to remove a hole in a stretch ceiling
In which case it is worth calling the master, and when you can do it yourself, depends on the type of material, the size of the hole and its location. The canvas can be sewn, glued or fastened with an applique.
Have you damaged the stretch ceiling? How to repair a stretch ceiling with your own hands
Varieties of glue for repair
Ordinary glue is not suitable for sealing gaps in vinyl material. For a film or fabric, choose a tool that meets the following requirements:
- transparency. the use of glue of a different color will lead to the formation of stains on the surface of the base, which will be very difficult to eliminate;
- drying speed. the quick-drying composition will eliminate the need to fix the patch and wait several hours;
- impact on the canvas. chemically active agents corrode the material, so it is better to choose one that will glue without destroying the base.
All these requirements are met by adhesives made on the basis of cyanoacrylate:
- Craftsmen who install and repair stretch ceilings advise using Cosmofen glue (Germany).
- For those who like plastic products more, the SomaFix second gel (Turkey) is suitable. It forms an elastic film at the junction.
- Universal superglue Contact (Russia) is supplemented with a cleaner of the same brand, which facilitates repair work.
- Loctite (USA) adhesives for ceiling repairs include Loctite 404 or 401. They are specially designed for smooth surfaces that are difficult to bond.
- Cosmoplast (Germany) is similar in characteristics to Cosmofen. Types 500 and 500L form a tough, durable film at the rupture site. Type 513 forms an elastic layer after drying.
All adhesives are applied in a well-ventilated room. It is necessary to avoid contact with the skin and mucous membranes, and in case of contact, rinse with plenty of water.
A plastic ring is needed to protect against the high temperature of the devices. It is glued to the ceiling and a hole is made. Then the concrete floor is drilled and the plastic pipe is cut off. A chandelier is installed through it. These manipulations will make it more stable.
How to cut a hole in a stretch ceiling?
The fabric is laid out on a smooth surface. Mark and make a hole of a suitable size and type. Use scissors or a construction knife.
When it is necessary?
The most common and simple reason is the installation of lighting and repair work if the canvas is damaged. Also installation of ventilation and hoods. To achieve a high-quality result, the installation is carried out carefully, according to the recommendations of specialists.
How to make a hole in a stretch ceiling?
During the repair and installation of the stretch ceiling, it is necessary to install lighting, install ventilation, or simply screw in a self-tapping screw, for example, securing the cornice. To do this, you need a gap in the stretch ceiling. Often you have to do it yourself. To cut a hole safely for the material, you need to know the rules and techniques.
Tools and materials
Stretch ceiling is a synthetic fabric that is impregnated with a protective solution or presented with a polyvinyl chloride film. Structures are divided into several types:
- PVC. The material does not differ in strength and tears even from the smallest notch. Near the instruments, the canvas becomes thinner and loses its functionality. Therefore, before installing additional devices, this place is thickened.
- Cloth fabric. It is distinguished by its durability, it is impossible to accidentally cause serious damage, additional sealing is not needed. The properties of the fabric do not allow to disperse when punching the canvas.
Make a gap using a stationery knife with a sharp blade, thermal insulation strip, high quality glue.
Is it possible to make a hole in a stretch ceiling?
The answer is unequivocal. you can. Lighting fixtures, curtain panel are installed on the finished structure. Their fixation may differ, but the hole is still necessary.
Installation of the pipe is exactly the case when the hole is made before the ceiling is pulled.
The finished plastic rim is glued to the fabric until tensioned. The thickening should reach the edge of the ceiling. Then a star-shaped hole is made, the edges are folded over and the incision is made to the end. This will be needed to attach the ring to the pipe.
For self-tapping screw
You will need small pieces of material and cyanoacrylate glue. A hole is cut out in the planned place, carefully lubricated and glued to the ceiling. After the glue sets, you get a strong layer for fasteners.
The rest of the materials are replaced with reinforced tape. Just stick a small piece to the canvas and make an entrance for the self-tapping screw.