Trimmer line length
Everlasting trimmer line
Trimmer line and reel: how to make the right choice
Trimmer line section
There are the following main types of line section:
– with sharp edges (in the form of a star).
The cross-sectional shape of the line should correspond to the thickness of the vegetation being cut. Round line is required for lawn and young grass mowing. How to properly wind the line on the Stihl trimmer. The pentahedral and square will be needed if the grass has become coarse, and weeds have appeared on the lawns.
Here the choice depends on the individual model and on the purpose of the trimmer. Such a reel is attached to the trimmer as well as how to install the fishing line on the drum. However, if you need to mow, for example, an old shrub, the line will not work for this, as it will break immediately. For such purposes, it is advisable to use a lawn mower equipped with a metal knife.
Save trimmer line! Super way!
Also see how easy it is to make a trimmer line spider:
However, it is also possible to purchase a fishing line for a cut. Eternal “, because on the line 1 you can make a good trimmer. It is suitable for those who use the braid infrequently, only for domestic purposes.
Trimmer line and reel composition
The last criterion to pay attention to. the composition of the trimmer accessories. Lawnmower reels are made of plastic.
But the fishing line can be made from a wide variety of materials. How to wind a fishing line on a trimmer according to the use of the price in grass with a fishing line. Among them, nylon is worth noting. How to replace the line for a Stihl fs 55 trimmer in the Stihl fs 38 trimmer bearing grease. The line made of this material has high wear resistance, can withstand large temperature drops and increased loads. In addition, during long-term storage, nylon does not delaminate and does not lose its performance. All this directly affects the life of the line.
I continue to experiment with trimmer line. On tests today:
1. Wire for knitting reinforcement in one layer
2. Wire for knitting reinforcement in two layers
3. Soft hacksaw blades
The solution was found. Does not bend, does not break. working.
See, subscribe. But don’t try this at home.
This Video, first of all, encourages to think.
Subscribe to the channel: https://goo.gl/Qiw6HG
In general, in my videos I talk about a construction site in “one helmet”. I do everything myself. One head and 2 arms. The main directions are construction and repair with your own hands, but I also talk about the garden and vegetable garden, crafts and useful things for the home.
SIP house and heaving grounds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oe40fIIjcE0
Winter plumbing in the bath: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeFdwRIaA2o
Warm SIP contour. Experiment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u70ZgwiDamo
Mice in the CIP House: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_3bSnHV0xc
Ventilation in a private house: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnddWz9UQF8
Leaking heated towel rails. Which heated towel rail to choose ?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8yLQXkonLQ
At the moment, I am actively engaged in the decoration and arrangement of my home from SIP panels, which is located in the Moscow region.
I record all stages of construction on video, sharing my experience and my thoughts. I do almost all work for the first time.
I do everything for my own pleasure, which is what I wish for you!
Thanks for watching!
Video Eternal Trimmer Line # 2. The solution was found. channel Dmitry Kulikov
Many users of mowers, both electric and gasoline-powered, some time after using a purchased line, ask themselves the question: what can be used to replace it? If you exclude dangerous options (chain from a chainsaw, a blade from a hacksaw, wire, cable, string, etc.) that can cause serious injuries to the user and others, then the best way out of the situation is considered to be a homemade fishing line from a plastic bottle.
Eternal line for a lawn mower weight 410 grams watch video addition https://youtu.be/8vXqK2Yfd3c
DISBALANCE, does the word symmetry mean anything? plates are the same, holes are at equal distance from each other
Trimmer line diameter
The main aspect of the trimmer line is the size of the line. How to make a trimmer with your own hands from an angle grinder, (starter). As in the following picture. It can be 3.2, 3, 2.4, 2 or 1.6 mm. How to do it with and how to replace the line. A horror story about an eternal theme. The thicker the line, the more thick plants can be mowed with a lawn mower. The more popular and common line diameter. 2 mm.
The thickness of the line should match the power of the trimmer engine and match the parameters of your lawn mower model. For a low-power unit, a fishing line diameter of 1.3-1.6 mm is suitable, and for a device designed to work with soft and hard vegetation. 1.8-2 mm.
If you do not know which diameter to choose, check the product passport before purchasing. There the manufacturer indicates the optimal value of the diameter of the fishing line.
Threading the line into the trimmer spool
Stihl AutoCut 25-2 mowing head step-by-step
Open the mowing head by pressing on the side of the recesses in it. First press one side inward enough to disengage the catch, and then press the other. Then remove the cover of the mowing head.
It is worth a little torment, and the power of Hercules will not help you. Only with time do you understand how to quickly disassemble it.
If you have a Chinese head, it will be a little easier to disassemble (plastic is thin).
Also meet with inscriptions “Push and twist” in translation “push and turn”
After you remove the top cover, you need to get the cord holder, while being careful not to lose the spring
Take two strings (about 2 meters each). Insert the end of one string into one of the spool ears and wind the string in the direction shown. Make sure that the string is evenly distributed and wound tightly. Thread the end of the string into one of the holes in the reel.
In case of a Chinese head Measure the required amount of line (4-5 meters) and fold it in half.
Place the folded line in the middle over the holder (there is a special slot in it) and start winding the cord so that each mustache of the two falls into its own compartment of the holder.
Insert the spool into the mowing head. Pull the ends of the string out of the holes of the reel and thread them into the special groove of the mowing head
And here you perfectly understand that buying a fishing line with a diameter of 3 mm was your mistake. Generally the recommended Stihl reel diameter is 2.4 mm
But if you have a Chinese head. This rule doesn’t concern you. Some buyers said that they even managed to shove 4 mm. True coil breaks fast.
Pull the mustache out through the eyes and install the top head cover, aligning the side latches.
In the course for Stihl equipment sellers, we were told that to increase efficiency, you need to throw a reel of line for 20 minutes into the water. I haven’t tried it myself, but I think these guys won’t cheat.
Volodarskogo d. 2.
Precautions for Hand Winding
Since the operation is carried out with the obligatory tension of the line, you need to press it against the rod by hand just above the first ring in order to adjust the tension. In this case, you should know how to wind the fishing line on the reel without cutting your fingers with it. You can put a glove on your hand. And you can skip the line between the pages of a small book, then it gets additional alignment during the winding process.
The importance of winding correctly
In order for fishing to be successful, you need to carefully prepare for it. Otherwise, “terrible things can happen”. the weather is wonderful, the bite is excellent, and the tackle constantly fails and prevents you from taking advantage of the favorable fishing conditions.
To prevent this from happening, you need to set up all fishing accessories in advance. One of the most important steps in preparing for fishing is the correct winding of the line on the spool of the fishing reel. Failure to comply with the basic rules threatens the would-be fisherman with entanglement and line breaks, and fishing instead of pleasure will become a test for the nervous system.
The casting distance depends on the quality of such work. Correct winding ensures the casting of the bait at a distance that best matches the technical characteristics of the reel.
In addition, high-quality winding extends the life of the line by reducing mechanical friction and reducing the risk of beard when casting, which often requires you to cut the line. Therefore, before starting work, you need to consider a few tips from experienced fishermen on how to lay the line on the spool. This is a fairly simple procedure that even a beginner can handle.
Storage rules on the spool
For the line to last longer, you need to properly care for it. When sending tackle for long-term storage, the line should be completely unwound and thoroughly dried, otherwise it will lose its elasticity. This is fraught with ruptures at the most inopportune moment. You can use a hair dryer to dry. When the line is completely dry, you need to wind it on a spool.
In general, you need to dry the thread after each fishing trip. Only this should not be done along the entire length, but only on an area slightly larger than the length of the long cast.
Backing spool connection
Another important point in the question of how to properly wind the line on the spool is its connection to the spool. Some fishermen do not fix the line at all, believing that it is long enough and will never fully unwind. This is the wrong approach. Having fastened the reel or the line in the spool, you can not be afraid of the breakdown of large prey or idle scrolling of the line when fishing.
Among the many different snapping methods, the following are the most common:
- Special knot resembling a clinch. It is very durable and practically unstretched.
- A self-tightening knot is a special kind of loop that has some stretch. However, as a result of the tension of the line, such a knot is tightened all the way and holds perfectly.
The choice depends on the preference of the fisherman. Both options are quite reliable. They will provide comfort while fishing.
Winding the thread by hand
You should also consider how to wind the line onto the reel by hand. If the fisherman has a telescopic spinning rod, it must be expanded into working condition. This is not necessary for a plug rod, you can work with the lower part of it.
Attach the spool to the spool seat. There is a hole in the reel on which the fishing line is wound. A rod is inserted into it, which can be used as a pencil, pen, knitting needle, etc. If the fisherman has an assistant, he will hold the axis on which the bobbin will unwind. If there is no assistant, you can hold the rod yourself between your knees.
On sale there are special devices for unwinding the line from the reel. Their advantage is that they regulate the force when winding the line and make it uniform.
The line is threaded through the rings, from the smallest top element to the spool. The thread is then secured in the spool with the line guide open. After that, it is lowered into the working position. You can start winding the line by rotating the spool.
What is backing?
It is usually difficult to determine how much line to spool. A standard spool is believed to hold one hundred meters of 0.3mm line. However, progress has stepped forward, and modern lines are becoming thinner, without losing the margin of safety.
How many meters of fishing line to wind on the reel, each angler decides for himself, depending on the fishing conditions. Therefore, it happens more and more often that the selected line is much smaller than the spool can accommodate. The resulting free space needs to be filled with something. Some people use electrical tape or nylon thread for these purposes, but this is not the best option. The adhesive on the tape that holds the bottom turns of the line peels off quickly. And the nylon thread dries for a very long time when wet.
Therefore, more and more anglers are inclined to the American method. to reel in the lower layer of fishing line is simpler and cheaper, and tie the main, higher quality to it. This turns of an inexpensive thread is called backing, in our opinion. reeling. It connects to the main strap with a self-tightening double loop, clinch or similar knot options.
How to wind a fishing line on a reel: instructions
When collecting tackle for fishing, it is periodically required to change the line on the reel. This is a fairly simple procedure. However, it has a number of nuances. The correctness of this procedure will determine whether the thread will be flat when casting or will start to get confused. If the fisherman does the wrong thing, the thread may break. This causes a lot of difficulties. To avoid such troubles, it is necessary to consider in detail how to wind the line on a reel. This technology will be discussed in detail in the article.
Winding profiles (taper)
For different reel models, the turns of the line on the spool are applied in different ways. In high-quality products, the cylindrical and conical winding method is used. The line laid in profile forms a straight line. With a cylindrical winding, this line is straight, parallel to the spool, with a tapered winding. inclined.
The straight tapered shape tapers towards the front edge of the spool, the opposite one widens. Straight taper reduces line friction. Reverse styling reduces the likelihood of spontaneous line dumping.
There is also a third type of winding. chaotic. Usually used in cheap Chinese fishing rods. And if such winding can still be tolerated using ordinary fishing line, then the use of a cord in such a reel should be abandoned. Bad casts, beard, overlaps and entanglements are guaranteed. This leads to mishaps in fishing and can also ruin the mood of every fisherman.
How to wind the line onto the Patriot trimmer reel?
Almost every beginner when using a trimmer is faced with the problem of changing the line. While it is very easy to change your line, you need to learn how to do it correctly. Changing the fishing line with proper skill will take no more than five minutes. you just have to constantly practice it. This article will look at changing line using Patriot trimmers as an example.
In order to change the line, you need to remove the old one (if it was).
The reel is the part of the trimmer structure that is located inside the mower head, drum or bobbin. Heads may vary depending on the manufacturer. But this article only covers Patriot, although their mechanism is used by many other companies.
Now you need to understand how to properly remove the head from the trimmer and how to pull the drum out of it.
Instructions on how to unscrew the manual head on the trimmer are described below.
- First of all, you need to clean the head from dirt and adhering grass, if it is dirty. To do this, lift the mower head up and, grasping the casing, remove the special protective cover on the drum.
- The next step is to remove the spool from the drum. The reel can be easily removed even with one hand, because it is not fixed in any way inside the drum.
- The drum itself is fixed in the trimmer with a bolt. This bolt must be unscrewed, after which you can easily pull out the drum. To do this carefully, you should support the drum with the spool, while unscrewing the screw counterclockwise.
- Now you can pull the coil out. As mentioned above, it is not secured by anything, except for a hook with a metal shaft, so it does not need to be pulled out with force. Carefully, in a circular motion, pull the spool out of the drum.
- Now it remains to remove the old fishing line and follow the following instructions.
Installing the spool and drum in their original place is performed according to the reverse algorithm.
Before threading the line, make sure you have purchased the correct thread for the trimmer. In the event that the thread does not fit, the fuel or energy consumption increases, as well as the load on the engine of the lawn mowers.
In order to replace the thread itself directly, you need to prepare a piece of thread of the required size. Most often, this requires about 4 m of line. The specific figure will depend on the parameters of the thread, for example, its thickness, as well as on the parameters of the spool itself. If you cannot accurately determine the length, you can do the following: insert and wind the thread until the coil is fully charged (the line level will be compared with the protrusions on the sides of the coil). It is necessary to ensure that the line sits evenly in the reel.
Do not forget that thick thread will be shorter than thin thread.
- The prepared thread must be taken and folded in half. It should be ensured that one edge is longer than the other by 0.1-0.15 m.
- Now you need to take the ends in different hands. The one that is smaller must be pulled up to the larger one so that it becomes 2 times shorter. When bending, maintain an offset of 0.15m.
- Locate the slot inside the coil baffle. Carefully pass the loop you made earlier into this slot.
- To continue working, it is necessary to determine the direction of winding of the thread in the bobbin. To do this, it is enough to inspect the coil. there should be an arrow on it.
- If the arrowhead cannot be found, then it is quite possible that there is a written designation. An example is shown in the photo below. It is necessary to inspect the coil head. There is a direction indicator on it. However, this is the direction of travel of the coil. To get the direction of winding, you need to wind in the opposite direction.
- Now you need to load the spool with line. It is worth noting that there are special guide grooves inside the coil. Follow these grooves when winding the thread, otherwise the trimmer may be damaged. At this stage, you need to charge the coil very carefully.
- When the user winds almost the entire thread, take the short end (do not forget about the 0.15m protrusion) and pull it into the hole located in the wall of the reel. Now you need to repeat this action in the same way with the other end (on the other side).
- Place the reel itself in the head of the reel, before that threading the line through the holes inside the drum.
- Now is the time to put the drum back in place. After that, you need to take the ends of the line with both hands and pull them to the sides. Then you need to put the lid back on (here you can safely make efforts until you hear a characteristic click).
- It remains to do the “cosmetic work”. We need to see if the thread is too long. You can start the trimmer and check in practice if everything is comfortable. If the thread comes out a little long, you can cut it with scissors.
Although winding the line is a very simple task, many beginners can wind the line incorrectly. Below are the most common mistakes.
- Many people, when measuring a thread, think that 4 m is a lot. Because of this, people often measure less and therefore lack line. Do not be afraid to measure out a lot, because you can always cut off the excess.
- In a hurry, some people do not follow the threading grooves inside the spool and wind the thread randomly. This will cause the line to come out of the reel and may even cripple.
- For winding, use only the appropriate line. This error is the most common. You need to monitor not only the thickness and volume of the line, but also its type. You should not use the first line that comes across for wrapping, which will not meet the goals. For example, you do not need to use a thread on young grass if you need to mow dead wood.
- Do not turn on the device until it has been fully wound and collected. Although this is obvious, some people do this in order to check if everything is done correctly.
- In no case should you confuse the direction of refueling, as this will overload the engine, and it will soon come out of working condition.
It is quite common for beginners to make mistakes, so you need to follow the tips given in this article.
See below for how to replace the line on the Patriot trimmer.
Step-by-step instructions on how to wind the trimmer reel and lawn mowers
In order not to be mistaken with the choice of a suitable fishing line for your tool, you should first disassemble the head and look at the side wall of the reel. This information is usually presented on a tip, which will not allow you to make mistakes with the use of the appropriate equipment.
If there is information on the reel about the diameter of the line you can fill in, then this information can be clarified in the instructions. Having decided on the thickness or diameter of the rig, it remains to figure out how to charge it. There are two ways to do this, but not all of them are applicable. We will consider both methods in detail, and depending on which models of lawn mowers and trimmers you use, you decide on your own which option is suitable.
It is interesting!
The principle of how to wind the line to guide lawn mowers is appropriate not only for autonomous gasoline units, but also for electric trimmers.
Method 1. how to properly wind the line or put it on a reel and choose the required length
To implement this method, you will need to first prepare a fishing line of the required length (usually up to 4 meters). It all depends on the thickness of the equipment used, as well as the design of the coil. There is an easy way to find out how much line you need to refuel to charge the reel. To do this, wind the rig inside the coil until it is level with the side protrusions. In this case, the rigging should not go beyond these extreme protrusions.
The thicker the equipment used, the shorter its length will be needed and vice versa, the thinner, the longer the segment will be needed.
The instruction on how to properly tuck the equipment into the trimmer or lawn mowers is as follows:
To begin with, a piece of fishing line that was prepared to be installed in a reel must be folded in half. In this case, one edge should protrude more than the second by 10-15 cm
After that, take the second end from the other side, and fold it in half. Move to it so that the measured protrusion of 15 cm is preserved
There is a slot in the inner baffle of the coil, into which the resulting loop should be inserted. The cut in the wall is shown in the photo below.
Next, we find out the direction of winding the line. If you wind the rig in the wrong direction, then it will not function correctly, and you will need to redo the work. To insert the line and wind it in the correct direction, inspect the surface of the spool. It should indicate the direction of winding (in 99% of cases, this direction is indicated). What the direction indicator on the coil looks like is shown in the photo below.
This arrow-shaped pointer can also have the designation, as in the example above “WIND LINE”, which means the direction of winding. If the pointer is missing on the reel, then you need to look at the head. There is a direction of its rotation on the head, and in order to properly wind the fishing line, wind it on the drum in the opposite direction to the indication of the arrow indicator. So, if the arrow is on the tip, then you need to wind in the indicated direction, and if it is not there, then you should wind against the direction of the arrow on the surface of the head
Having decided on the direction of rotation, you should start winding. Each end should be guided in its own groove. If there is no separator, then the equipment must be laid in the appropriate distribution order.
When almost all the fishing line is wound on a reel, you will need to do the following. place a short part in the hole of the side wall of the pickup, the protrusion of which should be up to 10-15 cm, and then similarly do the procedure with the other end, placing it in the hole on the parallel side
We insert the coil into the head, first passing the ends of the fishing line into the holes of the drum
We put the drum in place and, pulling the ends of the line, disengage them from the temporary clamps in the wall of the reel. After that, you can put on the cover until the latch engages.
With how to put the drum in place, no difficulties arise. There is also a second way, how to charge the mowing equipment in the lawn mower. What is the difference, and how is the second method of threading the line on the reel of lawn mowers carried out, we will find out in detail.
Cutting unit attachment
The cutter block is the heart of your Philips styler. It has short and sharp edges and is used to quickly and accurately trim hair to length.
To remove the cutting unit from the styler body, check for the release button on the styler body. If present, press the button to remove the cutting unit.
If your styler does not have a release button, place your finger under the teeth of the cutting unit and slide it out of the appliance. To re-install, insert the bottom of the cutting unit into the styler body, and then push in the barbed section until it clicks. Don’t overdo it; this could damage the instrument.
If you are unable to install the cutting unit, check for foreign bodies in the styler body and try cleaning it with a small brush or cotton swab.
No matter how well the electric trimmer we purchased works in a summer cottage or a country house. sooner or later the time will come when we need to remove the trimmer head for replacement or prevention. I will make a reservation right away that you do not need to completely remove the trimmer head to replace the fishing line. As part of this article, I will tell you how to completely remove or replace the cutting head using the example of the BlackDecker GL716 electric trimmer.
What you need to know about trimmer line
A fishing line is a consumable made of nylon that serves as a cutting device. By means of this equipment, the grass is cut, which is ensured by rotating the tool head at a high frequency. This material has a different thickness, which depends on its use on the corresponding tools, low-power electric (from 1 to 1.6 mm), electric from 500 W (2 to 2.4 mm) and gasoline trimmers with lawn mowers (from 2.4 to 3. 2 mm).
The more powerful the tool, the correspondingly thicker the cutting equipment should be. This affects not only the quality of the grass cut, but also the service life of the material. If you are wondering how to wind the trimmer coil, then it is time to change and reload the tool. With the onset of spring, this question is becoming more and more popular, so it’s time to figure out the step-by-step instructions for replacing the line in the trimmer reel.
Which line to choose to refuel the lawn mower
The thickness of the polyethylene thread depends on the model of equipment and varies from 1.2 to 4 mm. She may be:
- with a round cross-section. this is the most durable material for mowing grassy plants;
- with a curly section. used for mowing soft plants;
- twisted. used for thin grass;
- professional type, not suitable for all models of equipment.
To change the line on a lawn mower, you need to purchase a cutting thread that will be ideal for the type of mower.
Criterias of choice
Rethread Weedeater Wire on Stihl FS40 with an Easy Spool
You can soak the thread in a bowl of water for a few minutes to increase elasticity and strength.
Spool Trimmer Heads
The main elements of the trigger is the mowing head, which is a cylindrical body with a bobbin inserted inside. The fishing line (cord) is tucked into it. The heads differ from each other in the way of feeding and threading the cord. There are three types of heads in total:
- Automatic. The line is then fed as the user decreases the engine speed. Automatic cord feeding is very convenient when there is a lot of work to be done. The disadvantage of such a head is the high thread consumption.
- Semi-automatic. The use of such a head does not require the user to perform any complex manipulations. The principle of its operation is designed in such a way that the line begins to automatically lengthen while the trimmer is operating at full speed. You just need to lightly bang the head of the machine on the ground (this will remove the blocking of the line), and the cord will be pulled out of the bobbin due to centrifugal force. Then the line is cut to the required length with a knife, which is located on the protective casing.
- Manual. To lengthen the cord, it is necessary to stop the apparatus. After that, the line will need to be pulled out manually.
Types of trimmer spools
First of all, to wind the fishing line, you need to remove the spool (bobbin, spool) from the trimmer. specific actions will depend on the complexity of the configuration and the type of the product itself:
- small electric trimmers with a working position of the engine and spools at the bottom, as a rule, have side buttons on both sides of the bobbin. When pressed at the same time, the upper part of the spool together with the inner content for winding the line is detached, while the lower part remains on the trimmer. It is advisable to disassemble the bobbin on a flat, smooth place so that the spring included in the structure does not jump out and is not lost;
- electric and gasoline trimmers with a curved bar without the possibility of installing a knife, as a rule, have spools with a special wing: in such designs, hold the spool in a stationary position with one hand, and rotate the locking reel on the bar with the wing nut counterclockwise with the other. After disconnecting the nut, the entire bobbin is removed.
- electric and gasoline trimmers with the ability to install a knife on a straight bar (for example, Stihl trimmers) have a hole under the reel. To keep the rod stationary, a screwdriver or other suitable object is inserted into this hole and, with slow rotation, such a mutual position is achieved when the screwdriver enters the hole and the bobbin is fixed. After that, the coil body is scrolled clockwise (with a left-hand thread) and removed from the trimmer.
For the second and third cases, the coils, depending on the design, are disassembled in different ways. In bobbins with a lamb, a lamb is unscrewed, in coils with latches, the latches are pressed and one part of the coil is released from the other. If the halves of the bobbin are connected by thread, then it is enough to turn them by hand in opposite directions until they are completely unscrewed.
Method 2. how to properly put the line on the reel of lawn mowers with photo description and video
The second method differs from the first in that it is not a single piece of equipment that is charged into the coil, but segments from two parts. This method is used by manufacturers, and it is also suitable for those who have leftover material. The principle of how to insert two lengths of line into a lawn mower’s line is the same as with the first method, and to make sure of this, below are detailed instructions:
There are two equal length pieces of material that you can use.
One piece is taken, and the edge is bent in the form of a clamping bracket or hook, with which the fishing line will be secured
Inside the coil there are holes in the form of a bracket for fixing, which are there for a reason. If they are not there, then the second option will not work. The appearance of these brackets is shown in the photo below. Each bracket is in its own half
The brace of the fishing line should be hooked on the bracket, and wind it in observing the direction of the arrow
The above instructions on how to install a fishing line in the lawnmower will help not only correctly, but also quickly make the replacement procedure. Assembling the trimmer coil, as mentioned above, can be done without removing the head, but in this case, you will need to conveniently fix the tool. Video instruction is presented below.