Wood circular saws. Top 10 Wood Circular Saw Blades!
The progress does not stand still. Handsaws, powered by electricity, are replacing grandfather’s hacksaws. These include circular saws that can accomplish the following tasks:
Woodworking. Longitudinal and cross cutting of wood: boards, planks and even slabs.
Cutting composite materials. Processing plywood, particle board, fiberboard, fiberboard and other fiberboard panels.
Molding synthetic materials. Fitting to uniform standards of laminate, slate, plastic.
Circular saws are reliable. The only repair that may be needed after six months of use is replacement of motor brushes.
Designing power saws
Manual circular saws of the medium price category consist of the following nodes:
Electric motor. Main “generator” of power.
Switch. Button to start or stop the saw.
Locking switch. Holds switch in one position.
Tilt adjuster. Allows you to set the right angle of cut.
Parallel stop. Adjusts distance from edge of workpiece.
Parallel stop fixture. Holds parallel stop.
Base plate. Base plate against the dolly.
Protective shroud. Covers operator from chips.
Depth regulator. Reduces or increases cutting depth.
Circular saw blade. Main work tool with metal teeth.
Sawdust outlet. Hole through which sawdust is ejected.
A vacuum cleaner can be connected to the sawdust outlet. This gets rid of excess sawdust in the yard and reduces the time it takes to clean.
Selection criteria for circular saws
Hand tools should be selected based on specifications. The main 5 are as follows:
Power. The bigger the motor, the more powerful the circular saw, but also the heavier the saw is.
Disc diameter. Generous dimensions for heavy workpiece thicknesses.
Depth of kerf. Key parameter that precisely defines the capabilities of the machine.
RPM. High RPMs give the blade teeth an initial boost, but over time the kinetic energy diminishes.
Weight. Heavy-duty tools are difficult to carry on a construction site, but are very productive.
When selecting a spare saw blade, you should know the arbor diameter, otherwise you won’t be able to mount it on the tool head without an adapter. The most common sizes are 16, 20 and 30 mm.
In addition to the basic ones, there are additional options that can significantly ease the life of the operator:
Soft start. The motor starts smoothly, with minimal revs.
RPM support. Disc speed does not drop, even under load.
Angle and depth adjustment. Allows for adjustment of cutting geometry.
Switch-on lock. Protects the start button from accidental pressing.
Laser level. Helps keep the tool aligned in a straight line.
Plunge. Special mechanism that gradually lowers the cutting teeth into the workpiece. It makes it possible not to work from the edge of the ingot, but directly from the middle of the ingot.
Classification of circular saws
Circular saws are divided into 4 classes depending on maximum cutting depth. Detailed information is presented in the table:
|№||Class||Cutting depth, mm|
If the small class models are suitable for simple household needs, then for complex tasks, you should pay attention to the products of large and professional format.
Top 3 ranking
In order to help readers with the choice of a suitable circular saw, we have compiled a brief rating based on customer reviews and technical parameters.
Interskol DP-165/1200. the lowest cost
This model from the Russian manufacturer, which can compete with circular saws created by famous brands. Powerful machine that lasts four years without down time, but it has a drawback: sawdust goes straight to the operator’s face.
Power capacity: 1200 W.
Diameter of the disc: 165 mm.
Cutting depth: 55 mm.
Speed: 4700 rpm.
Weight: 4.2 kg.
Makita 5008MG. the best ergonomics
A professional tool that, according to customer feedback, fits like a glove in your hands. Despite its formidable power and weight, the circular saw is easy to handle. Built-in backlight to help you stay on track in low-light conditions.
How to choose a circular saw
When selecting a circular saw, the following parameters should be considered:
- Engine output Important parameter that determines cutting depth, productivity, and blade speed. As a rule, the higher the value (expressed in watts), the deeper the cut we can make. Usually the power is in the range of 1000-1700 W. Of course the power of the circular saw is affected by several factors in addition to the power: type of motor, build quality and durability of the materials used. There are also cordless circular saws with different motor powers. But keep in mind that the use of such a saw is limited. After 25 or 30 long cuts the battery needs to be recharged. But occasionally there are situations in which a cordless tool is indispensable (for example, in hard to reach places). When buying a model with higher electrical power consumption, it is important to have a current limiter that ensures a smooth start of the machine without surges in the mains.
- Weight of the tool This is an important comparative parameter that largely determines the ease of use of the tool (which significantly affects the ease of sawing). For most models, the weight ranges from 4 to 6 kilograms. The more powerful models weigh about 7 kg. As a rule, the better and more powerful the saw, the heavier the saw is.
- Cutting speed The higher the power, the deeper the cut. But it is not just about what the saw cuts, it is also about how it does it. Clean cuts are not only a function of power, but also of cutting speed. This is determined by how many revolutions the saw blade can make in a minute. Higher rotational speed increases cutting speed and improves cut quality. For conventional saws this equates to around 3000 rpm. For professional models the speed can exceed 5000 rpm.
- Maximum blade diameter Please pay attention to this parameter. It determines how deep your tool can plunge when cutting. You can find circular saws on the market with a blade diameter from 165 to 355 mm. As a rule, the depth of cut (cross-sectional area) does not exceed 55 mm, but professional saws can cut 68 mm and more (some models up to 130 mm, which is required for deep cutting of inclined surfaces). the size of the blade determines the maximum cutting depth, therefore, this parameter depends on the blade diameter and cannot be increased in any way.
- Materials of the product They can also tell a lot about a tool. In the amateur class, you have to rely on plastic construction. such circular saws are lightweight, but less suitable for frequent use. Professional circular saws are twice as heavy. Their blade guards are made of aluminum alloy, so they are stronger, larger, and built to last. Separate structural elements contribute to the protective construction and the visual design, but the connections between the individual parts (welds, threaded connections) are also an inseparable part.
- Transmission The above mentioned parameters are really important when choosing a circular saw, but you should also take into account what material the “box” is made of. Metal driveline lasts longer. The advantages include lower vibration. The disadvantage is that models with such a transmission cost disproportionately more (amateur saw for 100-200 € will not have it for sure).
- Guide rail Believe it or not, the guide rail is one of the most important components of a circular saw. That’s because it is most often adjusted, repositioned and secured. It is important that this process is as simple as possible. There are also special saws that can ride along the rail, which can be fixed on the material and when the saw moves you get a perfect straight cut. In addition, it is known in advance exactly where it will be. This is the biggest difference from the classic range, which is relatively short and not as precise.
- Other features Handheld circular saws, especially high-end ones, offer a number of practical features that make working more reliable and comfortable. Pay attention to features such as speed control, overheat protection or the ability to lock when changing the blade. You can connect a hose from a vacuum cleaner or other suction device for more comfort. Models with larger disc diameters (e.g. 270 to 355 mm) can be fitted with a sliding clutch that can protect the motor from jamming the disc in the material. This stops the blade, but the rotor continues to rotate. This prevents the winding from burning.
- Brand If you want a quality tool focus on the reputation of the brand. You can expect the exact level of performance you are looking for from well established and trusted manufacturers. An advantage is the good availability of spare parts and good customer service that these brands offer. For domestic use, you can buy circular saws from brands like Ryobi, Extol, Einhell, Interskol, Zubr for only a few dozen euros. Quality circular saws with greater durability can be found in brands such as Makita, Bosch, and DeWALT. These manufacturers offer powerful, reliable and popular among users. Professional circular saws are products of such well-known brands as Metallkraft, Husqvarna, Mafell or Festool, as well as top models of Bosch and Makita. If you are serious about buying a manual circular saw, first decide how often you are going to cut with it, taking into account additional features and capabilities that can simplify your work, and based on that determine the right brand.
In terms of reliability of operation, high quality components, advanced service, we have identified several exemplary manufacturers of circular saws. A Japanese company leads the way:
- Makita. The corporation is over 100 years old. In the meantime, Makita has proven to be a reliable and serious manufacturer that takes great care over product quality. If properly handled, circular saws will operate reliably for many years. Next are no less well-known companies:
- Kolner, Bort.
All mentioned companies are well established in construction market, producing high quality products.
Top 10 best hand held circular saws for quality and reliability
When choosing a circular saw for the home, you can examine the review of the most reliable models. The user rating includes tools with a moderate price, but good quality features.
7 Best Mini Circular Saw with Laser
Hammer CRP 1500 D
Cordless circular saw for the home copes well not only with wood, but also with metals. Suitable for the workshop and for garden work, has a capacity of 1.5 kW, equipped with a laser to ensure accurate cutting. For the safety of the tool is responsible for the lock button from accidental start, you can connect a vacuum cleaner to the device, so that the sawdust is not flying in all directions.
Popular 1.2 kW handheld saw suitable for vertical and angular cuts. Supports 5200 rpm, handles wood, metal and plaster alike. Blade width of 190 mm, not as loud as other circular saws. Construction vacuum cleaner can be connected to the saw.
Users also note the cast iron base, rubberized grips and lack of play among the advantages of the tool. The model comes with 2 additional discs and a parallel stop.
Low-cost circular saw for cutting boards, wood and soft metals with a power of 1.25 kW and a 185 mm blade. Powered by mains power, weighs only 3.4 kg, easy to carry from place to place. When working almost does not vibrate, but the model has a disadvantage. the block against accidental activation on the body is not provided.
Circular saw with 185 mm blade. cuts wood and other materials up to 64 mm thick. Easy to operate, has an ergonomic housing with a rubberized handle. It has a maximum rpm of 4,500 and makes the cut quickly. Disadvantages include poor fastening of the depth-of-cutting screw.
The universal saw has a power of only 0.6 kW, but works at a speed of 5500 rpm. Diameter of discs is 89 mm, the tool is suitable for cutting wood and metal to a depth of 3 mm. Equipped with laser sight and parallel stop, it improves quality of work and helps to keep clear lines.
High-quality and easy-to-use circular saw suitable for all hardwoods. The device weighs only 3.6 kg, is powered from the household network and has a power of 1.4 kW. Wide disk nozzle can cut not only vertically, but also at an adjustable angle up to 45 °.
Einhell TC-CS 860 Kit
Medium budget circular saw with a low power of 0.45 kW supports 6000 rpm and is equipped with a blade with a width of 85 mm. Can cut to a depth of 23 mm.
Important! The model is very small and takes almost no space in the apartment, it can be easily placed on the balcony or in the closet.
Interskol DP-210/1900 M
Circular saw has a quality assembly with no signs of play. Comes with an aluminum base, is powered from the mains and maintains 5000 rpm at 1.9 kW. The model is capable of both straight and diagonal cuts disk blade with a width of 210 mm. Among the advantages worth noting especially the presence of soft start, which protects the motor from premature wear.
Diold DP-0,55 MF
This domestic-made machine is suitable for works on wood and metal. Featuring a very light weight of only 2 kg. At a small power of 0.55 kW, makes 4500 rpm, and the width of the disk is 85 mm. Capable of making cuts as deep as 25 mm.
The model does not provide soft start and constant speed. But it can be operated with a guide rail that greatly improves cut accuracy and precision.
Bosch GKS 190
The small circular saw with 190 mm blade can easily handle dense solid wood. The device is equipped with a 1.4 kW motor and has a high bit speed of 5,500 rpm. Can perform inclined cuts up to 56 °, equipped with a turbo blower to clean the work area from shavings and sawdust.
Features of Makita stationary circular saws
The “Makita” company is very popular among manufacturers of construction tools, because its products are of high quality, practicality and reliability. Circular saws are characterized by a high power and torque reserve, increased efficiency of power drives, diamond coating of the blade surface, equipped with different carbide tips.
All Makita units have variable speed and soft start options.
Best Cordless Circular Saw 2022 Top 5 Best Cordless Circular Saw Review
Makita circular saws feature minimal vibration and noise. The tool is equipped with a splitting blade that protects the dusty disc from jamming in the workpiece.
The rating of circular saws starts with the Makita SР6000. Power output is 1300 W. The model is equipped with a saw blade diameter of 165 mm, is able to make cuts up to 5.5 cm in depth. The unit has variable speed and soft start options. The tool can be purchased for 12 thousand ˝.
Popularly used a powerful, reliable and convenient circular saw Makita 5704 RK, equipped with a saw blade diameter of 190 mm, which creates a depth of cut 60-65 mm. Power output is 1200 W. Disc speed reaches 5200 rpm. The tool can be purchased for 9 thousand W at an average cost.
Among powerful models that can cut denser materials, the Makita 5008MG stands out. Working disc has a diameter of 210 mm, which allows you to cut to a depth of 70-85 mm. The power of the device is equal to 1800 watts, disk rotation frequency. 5200 b / min. The saw is capable of making cuts at 90 and 45 degrees. At the same time, its depth is up to 57 mm. The model is equipped with additional features in the form of illumination and air cleaning of sawdust. The price of a Makita circular saw is 15 thousand rubles.
Makita circular saws are of high quality, practicality and reliability.
How to choose a circular saw?
The circular or circular saw is a high-performance tool designed for cutting wood, chipboard, plywood, etc. д. Often these tools are simply called “circular saws” or “parkers”. There are also solutions especially designed for metal.
The advantages of circular saws are their very high output and their ability to hold a good trimmer sawing line (as a consequence, this type of tool is not suitable for shape cutting at all). In other words, circular saws are used when there is a lot of cutting to be done, but only in a straight line. It can be a great solution, for example, when you need to lay a wooden floor in a large room. Almost all models allow you to install the disk at an angle, but even then the cut is made strictly in a straight line.
All existing models of circular saws can be divided into two types. household and professional. The difference between them lies in the power, the cutting depth, the continuous operation time and the cost. But it should be noted that this division is rather relative and there are no clear-cut boundaries.
Stationary and manual circular saws
Circular saws can be stationary or handheld. The former are fixed to the work platform, on which the operator feeds the workpiece to the disk. In the case of manual models, on the contrary, the saw is brought to the material to be sawn. Stationary models are designed for large amounts of single-type works. Manual ones are mobile and can be used when it is simply impossible to place the workpiece on the platform. By the way, in some cases handheld models can be mounted on the work table with special brackets, obtaining in the end some semblance of a stationary solution. But such design can not serve as a full-fledged replacement of a stationary saw.
I would like to mention about mitre saws (“crosscut saws“) separately. These models can be divided into a subclass of circular saws. They are designed for cross sawing at certain angles and are stationary. As a matter of fact, it is in the presence of a special bed and is the main feature of the design of these solutions.
Power circular saws
Most models of circular saws, both stationary and hand-held, run on AC 220 V. Professional stationary solutions of high power, for which the usual socket is no longer enough, are powered from a three-phase network of 380 V.
Cordless handheld models have also recently been available. The saw consumes a lot of energy and consequently the runtime of cordless models is low. But they are distinguished by the highest mobility, and it can be very useful when you have to work in places where there are no sockets, or where it is inconvenient to pull a long wire from the extension cord. For example, it’s a great choice for roofing work. But in such cases, it is better to carry a pair of batteries.
Specifications of the circular saw
Characteristics that have a direct impact on the choice of model are few.
First of all, it is the power, which determines the specific tasks for which the tool will be used. The more powerful the model, the more productive and hardy it is, the more difficult materials it can handle. But at the same time the cost and weight of the device grows.
By power circular saws are conditionally divided into three categories:
When choosing a tool, you should use a model with a small power reserve.
Next comes the cutting depth. This index indicates how thick the material the device is able to cut through in one go. It depends on the power, you can not put a big blade on a weak saw. For home use a model with a maximum cutting depth of 50 mm at 90 degrees is usually more than sufficient. In rare cases when there will be a necessity to saw thicker materials you will be able to do it in two steps. Choosing a model with a really big cutting depth only makes sense if you really need it.
What saw model to choose
In fact, choosing a circular saw is not such a difficult task. It all depends on what materials and in what volumes you plan to work. So, if you plan to use the tool only occasionally with soft materials, for uncomplicated tasks, a medium-sized model with a power of up to 800 W will suffice.
Residents of private homes and cottages, who constantly need something to repair or build, you can advise medium-power solutions. If you have a large amount of work, it makes sense to buy an inexpensive stationary model.
You should pay attention to additional safety and durability features like overload protection, safety against accidental start, soft start function, constant RPM under load, etc.п. But, naturally, as the set of additional functions increases, so does the price of the device. Some options may be useful only in certain cases.
For example, the slant cut adjustment allows you to make cuts at an angle. But first you must decide if you need such a feature at all. The number of options depends on the model and it makes sense to check them out before making a purchase. And a system for removing or collecting dust and shavings, which are produced in large quantities during work, is not at all superfluous.
We strongly recommend that you hold the handheld model in your hands before buying. you must be comfortable, and the handles should have rubber pads. It is also advised to choose a solution only from a renowned manufacturer. Circular saw is a highly traumatic tool and ease of use will reduce the risk of injury, and a well-known brand is a guarantee that everything is assembled correctly and all safety issues are taken into account.
When using a circular saw, follow all safety rules! In the case of breakage of this tool, do not do the repair yourself, go to a trusted craftsman. The fact that, despite the apparent simplicity of design, this tool is equipped with a range of safety-related functions. Unauthorized repairs can cause the factory settings to fail.
Circular saws of any kind
There are many kinds of circular saws, depending on the type and size of the wood to be processed, the place of use of the device, and the frequency of its use.
Depending on where the tool is used, it is subdivided according to the type of structural design:
- Stationary machines. installed in workshops, production shops or sawmills. Designed for continuous operation and large quantities of material.
- Desktop. machines, convenient for transportation and device at the construction site, to work throughout the construction of the building, such saws are also called end saws.
- Hand-held. compact circular saws used to ensure quick cutting of piece-materials made of wood in small amounts of work.
Depending on the purpose of use, the tool has different resources of work, engine power and the strength of the basic elements of the housing.
- Professional. reliable, expensive equipment, designed for long-term continuous operation, for example, in commercial activities such as building materials trade.
- Household. can be used sparingly at home or in the country, works without interruption for several hours a day with breaks to avoid overheating of the motor. Performance of these saws is lower than professional tools.
Before buying a circular saw it is necessary to check the quality of the blade as the main body. The teeth and the steel from which it is made must be suitable for the type of material to be cut. If this condition is not met, this accessory must be purchased additionally.
We have previously reviewed:
How to choose and what to pay attention to?
When buying a circular circular saw, it is enough to focus on the basic parameters of the tool:
- Power. it is selected according to the thickness and density of the material to be treated. Power is small. up to 0.8 kW, medium. 0.8-1.2 kW and large. more than 1.2 kW.
- Weight. the saw is always on the weight, so it is more convenient to work with a lightweight model.
- Cutting depth. depending on the blade. The index of 40-50 mm is enough for domestic tasks, for professional work. from 60-70 mm.
- RPM. affects performance and the ability to cut different materials. The higher the index, the denser the materials you can cut.
- Work at an angle. most tools are used for straight cutting and the floor at an angle of 45 degrees. There is a model with a cut under 60 and 90 degrees.
- Diameter of discs. ranging from 130 to 250 mm.
- Additional functions make it easier to work with the tool. Among them are soft start, laser tag, sawdust collection, motor lock against accidental start, stationary chip removal system.
When it’s worth buying a cordless circular saw?
What is the main advantage of cordless models over corded models?? Certainly in their mobility. Consequently, you should buy such a saw if you often:
- Working at height (e.g. laying a roof) or cutting workpieces in the balance;
- Locate yourself in areas where mains power is problematic (including outdoors);
- have limited working space and the cord gets in the way under your feet.
Modern cordless saws are almost as powerful as cordless saws, but there is some limitation in functionality. For example, to use an industrial vacuum cleaner that removes sawdust and other debris, you have to be plugged in. In addition, the battery pack adds weight to the tool.
Batteries may last for 3 to 5 years but sooner or later they will break down and must be replaced, which will lead to additional costs.