Trimmer coils (heads)
The mowing heads with the lines in them, along with the blades and discs, are part of the cutting accessories for trimmers. The main function of the heads, or as they are often called coils, is to cut the grass quickly and accurately. Today there are different types of heads on sale. All of them are divided among themselves mainly by the principle of feeding and charging the line. This classification makes it possible to choose the best mowing head for almost any novice gardener.
Most amateur and household trimmers are distinguished by a simple device. They consist of an engine, a rod in which there is a flexible or rigid drive shaft, a handle and a cutting organ, the role of which is often played by the head of the grass trimmer. According to the principle of filament feeding heads are divided into the following types:
- manual. this type of headset got its name because the cutting line is fed manually. Each time it is necessary to lengthen the line for the trimmer, the operator must stop working with the trimmer and pull it out mechanically. This brings its own inconveniences, but it is this type of device that is considered the most popular among gardeners. Manual reels differ from their counterparts in durability and low prices;
- Semi-automatic. with this type of head, you can extend the cord by pressing the head to the ground. The cord trimmer is extended while the engine is running, by pushing a button that activates an anchoring mechanism. It creates a centrifugal force that pushes the cord outward. Semi-automatic head for grass trimmer has one important advantage. during its operation it is not necessary to stop working with a brushcutter, as it is possible to extend the cord for trimmer while the engine is running. The only drawback is that semi-automatic cutting headsets cost a bit more than manual reels;
- Automatic. this type of conventional devices are easy to use. To extend the cord, the operator only needs to reduce the engine speed of the brushcutter. Automatic factory coil for grass trimmer differs from its counterparts in ease of operation. Nevertheless, the for this type of headset are the highest on the market.
Each of the listed types of cutting tools is suitable for use in different conditions. Manual heads are best used in areas with hard obstacles. The low cost of this type of headset will make it possible to buy several manual heads at once, and alternately replace them as they fail. Automatic models, on the other hand, are quite expensive, so they are best used for maintaining clean areas.
Method 2. How to put a line for a trimmer on a brushcutter spool correctly with photo description and video
The second method differs from the first by the fact that the spool is not loaded with a single piece of fishing line, but with pieces of two parts. This method is used by manufacturers, and it is also suitable for those who have leftover material. The principle of how to insert two pieces of line into the lead of a brushcutter is the same as the first method, and to make sure of this, here is a detailed instruction:
- There are two equal lengths of material that can be used
- One section is taken, and the edge is bent in the form of a clamp or hook, with which the fishing line will be secured
- Inside the spool there are holes in the form of a bracket for fixing, which are there for a reason. If they are not available, then the second option is not suitable. The appearance of these brackets is shown in the photo below. Each bracket is on its half
- A piece of fishing line should be hooked onto the bracket and wind it up by observing the direction of the arrow
- The rig is wound until there is a 10-15 cm piece left, which is fixed in the appropriate hole on the side of the tip
- The second end of the line is handled in the same way
- The protrusions are put into the holes of the head, and then, removing the rigging from the temporary fasteners in the reel, the cover with locks is installed
The above instruction on how to install a line for a trimmer in a brushcutter not only helps you to do the right thing, but also helps you to do it quickly. Assembling the grass trimmer reel, as mentioned above, can be done without removing the head, but in this case you will need to conveniently fix the tool. Video instruction is presented below.
How to wind the line for the trimmer on the lawnmower
To implement this method, you will need to first prepare the line for the trimmer of the required length (usually up to 4 meters). Everything depends on the thickness of the tool you use, as well as the design of the spool. There is a simple way to figure out the amount of fishing line you will need to charge your reel. To do this, you should wind the tooling inside the spool until it flattens out with the side tabs. The line must not protrude beyond these extreme protrusions.
The thicker the fishing line used, the shorter its length will be needed, and vice versa, the thinner, the longer the section will be needed.
The instruction on how to correctly tuck the equipment in the lead of the trimmer for grass or brushcutter, has the following view:
- First, a piece of fishing line, which has been prepared to install in the reel, must be folded in half. One edge should protrude more than the other by 10-15 cm
- Then the second end is taken from the other side, and bent in half. Move to it so that the measured 15 cm overhang is retained
- In the inner partition of the spool there is a slit, in which you should enter the resulting loop. The slot in the wall is shown in the photo below
- Next, find out the winding direction of the line. If you wind the snare in the wrong direction, it will not function properly, and you will need to redo the job. To insert the line for the trimmer and wind it in the right direction, inspect the surface of the spool. It should show the winding direction (99% of the time this direction is shown). How the direction indicator on the spool looks like is shown in the photo below
- This pointer in the form of an arrow can also have the designation, as in the example above “WIND LINE”, which means the winding direction. If there is no arrow on the spool, look at the head. There is a direction of rotation on the head, and in order to wind the line correctly for the trimmer, you should wind it on the reel in the opposite direction to the arrow pointer reading. So, if the arrow is on the mandrel, you have to wind it in that direction, and if it is not there, you have to wind it against the direction of the arrow on the trimmer head
- Once the direction of rotation has been determined, start winding. Each end should be wrapped in its own groove. If there is no separator, the tooling should be placed in the appropriate distribution order
- When almost all the line for the trimmer will be wound on the spool, you will need to do the following. to place a short part in the hole on the side wall of the lead, the protrusion of which should be 10-15 cm, and then similarly do the procedure with the other end, placing it in the hole with a parallel side
- We insert the spool into the head, pre-passing the ends of the line into the holes of the drum
- We set the reel in place and by pulling the ends of the fishing line, we take them out of engagement with the temporary catches in the wall of the reel. After that, you can put the lid on until the latch clicks into place
- At this point, the process of how to replace the trimmer line for the trimmer is complete, and if necessary, you can only trim the ends (if their length is not satisfactory), and install the reel in the assembled form on the tool
With how to put the reel in place, there are no difficulties. There is a second way to load mowing equipment into the brushcutter. What is different and how is the second way of filling the line on the spool of brushcutter?
What is the backing on the reel?
To answer this question, you first need to understand the bobbins themselves. There are spools with a deep and shallow bobbin. Deep spools are used for winding thick lines and shallow spools for thin lines. The question arises. how to wind a thin line for a trimmer on a deep bobbin.
Winding should be such that the line for the trimmer has filled the bobbin almost completely, so that from the end of the bobbin was only 2-3 mm to the line. In the case of using thin lines on a deep bobbin, it is necessary to pre-wind an auxiliary trimmer line on the bobbin, this line for trimmer and is called backing. So we will fill the inside of the bobbin, and the top will be a thin line for the trimmer, which we will catch.
If you’re going to fish with thin braided cords, we highly recommend choosing reels from Shimano and Daiwa. They have a variety of suitable spools at different prices.
How to correctly assemble a lawn mower
Specialists of service centers often complain about the consumers of household garden equipment, which even at the stage of its assembly and first start-up make mistakes and put the equipment out of order. Of course there is an instruction in the package, but it is either written in vain, or you read it after the wrong assembly, when you found extra parts or, what’s worse, it was broken. There’s nothing complicated about putting a household gardening machine together. You just have to be careful. Here is an example of how to fit the STIHL FS 130 lawnmower with illustrations.
We should start the assembly with opening the box and check the completeness of the machine. If everything is in place, then we have to fit the handle to the shaft with the motor, put on the belt, attach the blade guard and the cutting elements.
First you have to take out the handle and unscrew the thumbscrew that secures the upper part of the support without losing the springs.
Put the handle in the socket and fasten it not too tight. The final position will be adjusted after the final assembly of the lawnmower.
Put the handle of the machine on the handle tube and tighten the mounting bolt. There is a universal wrench for this purpose in the kit.
All controls for the STIHL FS 130 are on the handle. There is a throttle trigger with accidental start protection and a thumboperated switch-off lever. The D-handle versions of brushcutters have controls on the shaft next to the engine.
Insert plastic protective shroud. If it is planned to use only the blade, then we use a part of the cowl for its operation (colored orange in the picture).
If you are going to work with a cutting line, then the chainsaw is additionally fitted with a plastic “skirt” on the protective cover and a blade for cutting the line. Some versions of this model can have a universal carrying hood or have two different carrying hoods attached. one for the line and the other for the blade.
After slipping the “skirt” on the cowl, check that it is firmly fixed. Sometimes it may be necessary to secure this protection with another screw.
Now place the line-cutting blade and fix it with the screw.
It remains to install the spool, having previously filled it with fishing line. The spool is wound on the shaft (as in the illustration) or secured with a special nut. Keep in mind that the thread on the shaft is usually left-handed. How to tuck the line for the trimmer into the spool read the instructions.
If a knife is required, we put it instead of the spool. The blade has a protective cap, so it won’t bury itself in the ground while working. After installing it, don’t forget to twist this cutting element and make sure there is no backlash.
The last and easiest step is the installation of a metal clamp on the boom, i.e.е. the suspension strap mount.
After the lawnmower is assembled, we put on a shoulder strap or a belt backpack (depending on what is given in the kit) and adjust them to the figure. Pour the gasoline mixture, start the engine. and go.
How to assemble the lawnmower correctly
Service center experts often complain about home gardening equipment users who make mistakes before assembling and starting up the machine and then wreck it. Of course, there is an instruction manual in the package, but it is either written in vain or it is read after incorrect assembly, when extra parts are found or, what is worse, when a failure occurs. But there is nothing complicated about assembling gardening equipment. You just need to be careful. Let’s show you how to assemble the STIHL FS 130 by adding an illustration to our instruction manual.
We should start the assembly by opening the box and check the completeness of the machine. If everything is in place, we have to mount the handle to the rod with the motor, put the belt on, fasten the safety guard and the cutting elements.
First you need to take out the handle and unscrew the wing screw that secures the upper part of the support, without losing the springs.
Slide the handle into the housing and fasten it loosely. The final position will be adjusted after the final assembly of the lawn mower.
Slide the machine handle onto the handlebar tube and tighten the fastening screw. There is a universal wrench in the kit for this purpose.
Lawnmower Coil Sparking System. How it Actually Works. Basic Principles! by Craig Kirkman
All controls for the STIHL FS 130 are on the handle. They are: throttle trigger with accidental start protection and throttle trigger that is operated with the thumb. The D-handle versions of brushcutters have control elements near the engine on the shaft.
Inserting the plastic cover. If you plan to use only the blade, use part of the hood (colored orange in the picture).
If you have to work with a fishing line, put a plastic “skirt” on the chain saw’s protective cap and attach a blade for cutting the line. Some varieties of this model may have a universal shroud or come with two different shrouds. one for the fishing line and the other for the blade.
Having put the “skirt” on the hood, you must check that it is securely fastened. Sometimes it may be necessary to fix this protection with one more screw.
Now you need to put a knife for cutting the line and fix it with a screw.
PushMowerRepair.com. Briggs 3.5HP Recoiling a Starter Spring
It remains to install the spool, pre-filled it with a fishing line. The spool is either wound on the shaft (as shown) or secured with a special nut. Please note that the thread on the shaft is usually on the left. How to thread the line for the trimmer into the spool, read the instructions.
If the knife is required, we put it instead of the reel. The knife is equipped with a protective cap, so that when working, it does not burrow into the soil. After installing it, do not forget to turn this cutting element and make sure there is no backlash.
And the last, and easiest, step is to install the metal clamp on the rod, t.е. fixing for the suspension belt.
Once the lawnmower is assembled, put on the shoulder strap or beltpack harness (whichever is given in the kit) and adjust them to fit. Pour in the gasoline mixture, start the engine, and go.
Flush the air filter before adjusting the carburetor. It is recommended to flush it after every 10 hours of work. After this time you can adjust the settings. The picture shows the gasoline grass trimmer PRORAB-8406 carburetor for example. The numbers indicate the adjusting screws that we will use.
Adjustment screws on the carburetor of the PRORAB-8406 petrol grass trimmer
Start the lawnmower and wait until it is warm.
Adjusting the fuel supply
Start slowly turning the fuel mixture adjustment screw until the engine starts to stall or stalls if you don’t have time to catch the moment. After that, turn the screw a quarter turn if the engine does not stall, or a half turn if it stalls. Start the stalled engine. Check how the engine picks up speed by opening the throttle. Keep turning the screw by a quarter turn until the engine starts to increase speed with a breeze. This will be the moment of the most economical stable operation of the engine. For gasoline grass trimmer PRORAB-8406 adjusting screws are turned clockwise, unscrewed. counterclockwise, with some other brands of chain saw can be the opposite.
Idle speed adjustment
Proceed to adjusting the low rpm. A screw limits the throttle lever return motion. by screwing it in, we increase idle speed, by unscrewing it we decrease it. Adjust so that the engine runs steadily at low rpm and even a little faster (for better starting), but that the line reel or knife does not rotate, and there is enough spare rpm before it starts to rotate. If the engine starts poorly, increase idle speed.
Maximum RPM restriction
After adjusting the fuel mixture and low speeds, check how the lawn trimmer engine will perform at maximum rpm. If necessary, limit the maximum rpm to the desired level with the hollow screw Loosen the locking nut and screw in to reduce the maximum rpm or unscrew to increase. After adjustment, tighten the nut. Adjusting the maximum rpm is necessary to protect the grass trimmer engine from overheating and the ability to use the starter button retainer to reduce right hand fatigue.
You may need to adjust the grass trimmer carburetor later on. If, for example, the engine does not provide good speed at full load, turn back the screw a quarter turn more. If it is difficult to start, increase the idle speed. The lawn mower can be affected by weather conditions and the quality of the fuel mixture. From vibration can also adjusting screws themselves turn.
Basic Malfunctions and Repair
The owner’s manual lists the most common problems and solutions for each specific model. Let’s look at the main ones.
The principle of operation of trimmers and lawnmowers is similar, so the ways of troubleshooting are the same.
The following are possible causes of an engine that will not start:
- Ignition switch is in the “off” position;. Ignition switch is in the “on” position.” (put it in the correct position);
- Incorrect starting sequence (check the instruction manual);
- Lack of fuel in carburetor (use primer);
- Dirty spark plug (check and replace if necessary)
- Lack of fuel (top up);
- Air filter is clogged (clean or replace it).
And here are the reasons why the engine starts, but gives not full power:
- Wrong carburetor setting (adjust it);
- Poor fuel quality (change the gasoline);
- The air filter is clogged (replace or clean it).
Conclusions. what head with a spool to choose for the grass trimmer
To summarize, consider the following factors when purchasing heads for grass trimmers and lawn mowers:
Type of lawn to mow. It can be a small lawn with young green grass or several hectares of thick-stemmed vegetation. For the second case, you may need to buy a metal blade on the lawnmower Number of sections of line protruding from the head. This number can vary. from one to 6-8 pieces. The higher the number of line segments, the higher the mowing speed
In addition, the more segments, the finer the grass is mowed The mounting axis. as a rule, household and professional tools have different diameters of mounts, which is important to consider when buying the head. Even if you bought a spool with a landing hole that does not fit your tool, the problem is solved by using special adapters Type of mounting axis. they come fixed and rotating at different angles from 90 to 360 degrees
The rotating function allows you to mow even the most inaccessible places The line diameter depends on the power of the power tool. For low-power trimmers, lines from 1.3 to 1.6 mm thick are used, and for more powerful devices, lines from 1.8 mm thick are used
Sometimes it takes a very long time to select the best model of head for the grass trimmer, so taking into account all the tips and recommendations, you can significantly reduce these costs.