With frequent starting of the chainsaw, some parts of the starter are constantly subjected to dynamic loads. As a result, the cable can break, several shaking teeth can collapse, and the shaft rotates at a much slower speed. Therefore, the revision and even repair of the starter. these are operations that are sometimes performed several times per season.
A protective cover is installed over all starter elements. The initial principle of action for most triggers is also pretty much the same. In the special groove of the chainsaw body there is a handle that holds the cable. A sharp lift of the handle means the latter. At this moment, the ratchet is triggered, which transfers power through the drum to another drum with grooves located on the motor shaft.
When the standard cable is retracted, the chainsaw engine shaft begins to rotate, which causes the existing fuel mixture to be compressed between the cylinder head and the standard piston.
As the volume of an internal combustion engine increases, the amount of fuel mixture required for its future ignition increases simultaneously. Accordingly, the operator of a powerful saw must make more jerks than the owner of a low-power household tool. To increase the speed at which the drum returns to its original position, manufacturers of powerful chainsaws use resilient return springs.
How to replace a chainsaw starter spring?
In order to replace the old spring in the disassembled starter, you must proceed in the following order:
- Before installing the chainsaw starter spring, you will need to remove the mechanism clip. this should be done very carefully so as not to break the part;
- Then you need to look inside the clip. in it you will see a spring wrapped around a C-shaped element. To remove the spring, fix its upper part with your finger and pull the starter handle slightly to the side;
- After removing the old spring, you need to wind up a new part. At the same time, try to avoid kinking and twisting of the new spring element;
- To collect the chainsaw starter spring, you will need to act as carefully as possible, otherwise one wrong movement can lead to unwinding of the part;
- After you have managed to fully insert the spring into the starter, you must carefully fix the clip.
Most often, damage to the soft-start spring occurs from the end where it is visible when disassembling the housing.
- The pulley could be damaged. There may be cracks or tears or damage to the back. How to correctly insert the grass trimmer starter spring. How to wind the gasoline tool starter spring. how to install the spring in how to wind the starter spring chainsaw repair. As a result of these problems, the tool cannot perform work.
- Damaged soft start spring. In this case, both the spring itself may be mechanically defective, and there may be defects in the place of its attachment. The weakest point of this element is precisely the fastening point and the tip of the spring, which is inserted into it.
If defective or partially damaged starter parts are found, they must be replaced with new ones. how to wind a starter spring how to properly repair a chainsaw starter. In this case, the new elements must correspond to the repaired saw model.
After completing the repair, it is required to properly assemble the starter.
Echo Chainsaw Rewind Spring Replacement #P022001330
The pulley is installed over the spring. In this case, it is necessary to check how much they adhered to each other. Continuing the repair, it is necessary to wind the pulley. how to wind the spring and how to wind the chain saw starter rope. everything is as usual. How to make a starter on a chainsaw yourself? How to bend the spring on the chainsaw starter? How to wind a spring and how to wind a chainsaw starter rope. Everything is as usual simple and easy, and most importantly. This must be done in such a way that, as it rotates, it pulls the cord into the starter. It is enough to make 3-4 turns to give the required tension. First, the rope is passed through the hole in the cover of the chainsaw.
Replacing the cord
When drawn, the cable is constantly shaking from the starter housing. To replace, dismantle the assembly body and carefully lift the ratchet drum so that the spring does not jump out of the seat. It is better to do this work: the assistant fixes the spring, and the cable is replaced. After fixing the cable in the handle and in the grooves of the drum, the cable is wound on a roller and the body is assembled.
After installing the spring, you need to adjust the tension. For this, a cable is inserted into the groove around the perimeter, and a return spring is wound around it. After removing the slack, it is best to tighten the spring a few more turns to ensure the required tightness of the part.
How to bend a spring on a chainsaw starter
How to replace a chainsaw starter spring
If the spring is damaged, which is often the case on Chinese instruments, then the mechanism can only be repaired by replacing it. But if its damage occurred at the point of attachment, that is, the ear burst, then it can be repaired.
The repair of the spring is heating the place of destruction to 600 degrees, after which it slowly cools down to 100 degrees, at which the end is wrapped in the shape of a fragment. Thus, it will be possible to avoid the loss of elasticity of the product, which will extend its service life. Although most specialists simply replace the product with a new one.
The spring replacement process is carried out in the following sequence:
- Initially, the clip or drum of the mechanism is removed.
- There is a spring inside the drum. To dismantle it, you will need to fix its upper part, then pull the starter handle aside.
- When the old spring is removed, you will need to install a new one. In this case, it is imperative to clean the case.
- When installing a new spring, insert it into the starter, then hit the groove with a tendril.
- At the end of the work, you can put on the drum and replace the starter cover.
See the detailed spring replacement process at
Replacing the cord
If the cord is pulled, the rope starts to rub against the starter housing. Replacing the cord begins with disassembling the body of the assembly, during which the ratchet drum is gently lifted so that the return spring does not slip from its seat. It is more correct and more convenient to do this together, where during the replacement of the cable the second will hold the spring! After the cable is successfully fixed in the grooves of the drum and the handle, it is wound on a roller with the subsequent assembly of the body.
Chainsaw starter device
As standard, the chainsaw starter consists of a number of parts.
- the frame to which the return spring is attached;
- a pen.
A protective cover is installed on top of all elements of the starter. The original principle of operation of most triggers is also almost the same. In a special groove in the chainsaw body there is a handle that holds the cable. When the handle is raised sharply, the latter is understood. At this moment, a ratchet is triggered, which, through the drum, transfers the force to another drum with splines located on the engine shaft.
When pulling out the standard cable, the chainsaw motor shaft begins to rotate, which leads to compression of the existing fuel mixture located at this time between the cylinder head and the standard piston.
With an increase in the volume of the internal combustion engine cylinder, the amount of consumed fuel mixture, which is required for its future ignition, also increases. Consequently, the operator of a powerful saw needs more jerking strokes than the owner of a low power tool. Powerful chainsaw manufacturers use resilient return springs to increase the speed at which the drum returns to its original position.
Chainsaw starter repair
In the course of frequent use, some components of the chainsaw may be subject to constant dynamic influences, due to which, for example, at the most inopportune moment, the cable may burst, the shaft will begin to turn at a much lower speed, or the ratchet teeth will crumble. Given this, the repair and revision of the chainsaw starter can be operations carried out even more than once during one working season.!
How to assemble a starter on a chainsaw?
After replacing the faulty elements of the starter, the turn of its reassembly comes. In this case, maximum accuracy must be observed, since the slightest discrepancy can lead to damage to the trigger. The assembly of the assembly should be performed in the following sequence:
- The standard cable will need to be tucked into the factory hole of the reel. At the same time, the cord does not need to be wound;
- Next, you will need to insert the coil into its base place. At this stage, many beginners make a common mistake. There are 2 slots on the surface of the coil. One of them should get a regular coil spring hook. To do this, the coil will need to be installed in such a way that it fits snugly into its original place, and the existing hook fits exactly into the slot. The correctness of installation must be checked by turning the coil in the direction of the clock hand until resistance appears;
- Then you need to install a device for easy starting of the chainsaw. In this case, the protrusion of the latter should be located in the recess of the installed coil;
- After that, you will need a screw and washer to fix the device;
- Next, the other end of the cord must be tucked into a special outlet;
- In the next step, you will need to thread the cable into the starter handle. To this end, you will need to tie a medium-sized knot at the end of the cord. If it is too small, then the cable will slip, because of which it will quickly wind up on the drum of the trigger;
- Then you need to release the loop inside the starter. Immediately after this, you should start the rotation of the trigger mechanism in the direction of the clock hand. In this case, the cord does not need to be wound. Next, you need to fix the coil with your hand, and pull the loop out by the handle;
- After that, you need to check the operation of the trigger;
- If the unit is working properly, it remains to install it on the tool, and attach with three screws.
Starter repair is not a complicated procedure if you follow the correct procedure. As a rule, replacing the starter cord will take no more than 20 minutes. The main thing is to correctly position the pulley and drum in relation to each other. Otherwise, the trigger will not work.
We are trying to repair the chainsaw starter with our own hands
The chainsaw is an indispensable tool not only for the summer resident, but also during construction work. If you need to stock up on firewood for the winter, then going into the forest without a chainsaw does not make sense at all. With proper use of the tool, it can last for a long time, but in any case, sooner or later, various types of malfunctions will arise. One of these malfunctions is a breakdown of the starter, as a result of which it becomes difficult to start the engine. In this situation, it is advisable to repair the chainsaw starter with your own hands. How to do this, we will find out in the material.
How to put a spring on a chainsaw starter?
Fitting the spring into the correct groove is a tricky task. First of all, the part will need to be twisted, returning it to its previous dimensions. After that, it must be inserted into the cavity of the standard drum hub. To fill the spring in the chainsaw starter, you need to proceed in this order:
- The outer end of the spring used must be fixed in a special stop lug. In this case, the second end with a screwdriver will need to be installed opposite the standard hole inside the lock;
- Next, the loop located at the inner end of the standard spring should be aligned with the hole. It is better to use a screwdriver for this. When the ends are aligned, the disc will need to be lowered;
- After mounting the disc, you need to check that the dog of the factory ratchet mechanism of the chainsaw is in its regular place. Then you can assemble the ratchet in reverse order.
To wind the spring on the chainsaw starter, you need to take into account all the holes and notches available. After installation, you will need to tighten the spring. As soon as the slack is eliminated, the spring will remain to be wound a few turns. this is necessary to maintain the required tension of the installed part.
The chainsaw starter device includes the following elements:
- ignition system screw;
- return spring;
- coil of the starting system;
- spark plug;
- the electronic unit;
- power button;
- handle and cable.
The main parameters of the chainsaw start system:
- power. from 2000 to 2500 W;
- the maximum number of revolutions per minute. 3000;
- weight. 0.5 kg.
After pressing the power button, the flywheel begins to rotate along with the magnet that is on it.
An electromotive force appears in the system. The resulting current is converted by an electronic unit into electrical signals, which are transmitted to the driving elements. A spark is formed, which provokes the ignition of the fuel-air mixture.
Replacing the cord
When pulling it out, there is a constant friction of the cable against the starter housing. To replace, disassemble the body of the unit, and carefully raise the ratchet drum so as to prevent the return spring from jumping off its seats. It is better to do this work together: the assistant fixes the spring while the cable is being replaced. After fixing the cable in the handle and in the grooves of the drum, the cable is wound around the roller, and the body is assembled.
How to fix a starter on a chainsaw
The cause of a malfunction of the chainsaw starting system can be:
- Drive pulley. This part is subjected to high axial and radial loads, therefore it is recommended to inspect the pulley for damage and cracks on the back of the housing before starting work. If necessary, repair the part or replace it with a new one.
- Spring mechanism. If it has lost its properties or there are cracks or breaks on it, it is necessary to replace this element. It is also recommended to inspect the attachment points for defects.
- Rope launch system. The rope should be inspected for wear and damage. If necessary, replace the part and install it on the pulley.
Typical breakdowns and repairs of the chainsaw starter
The appearance of various malfunctions of the starter leads to the inability to start the chainsaw. The most common starter breakdowns include:
- The starter pulley is completely burst or cracked;
- The spring has burst;
- Starter rope broke.
To fix each of these faults with your own hands, you will need certain tools. You must have a set of screwdrivers and a spare cable with you. It is necessary to remove and inspect the starter for the chainsaw in the following order:
- To find the cause of the breakdown, the starter will need to be removed from the chainsaw. To do this, unscrew the screws with a screwdriver, with which the protective cover with the starter attached to it is held;
- After removing the cover, you must carefully unscrew the screw by means of which the starter is attached to the protective cover;
- Then you need to try to smoothly start the starter. for this, remove the spring and clamps from it;
- Further, a coil with a cable is removed from the starter for inspection.
As a result of inspection, you can find a number of typical malfunctions. These include:
- Various damage to the pulley in the form of ruptures or cracks, mainly in the rear of the part. they interfere with the normal operation of the entire starter;
- Damage to the starter spring of the lightweight start. in such cases, not only the spring itself can be faulty, but also the place of its fixation. this is the most vulnerable part of the spring;
- Damaged starter flywheel dog.
In any case, any defective part must be completely replaced with a new part.
If the material of the starter spring is found to be of poor quality, the spring will burst (usually at the point of its attachment to the drum, where it forms a loop). In this case, it is not worth replacing the spring. Thoroughly clean its surface from dirt and traces of grease, gently grind the place of destruction, and then release the spring at 600 650 ° C (the steel of the spring should acquire a crimson color). It is necessary to cool the spring slowly, and at 100 150 ° C it is already possible to gently wrap its end in the shape of a restrictive protrusion on the inner surface of the drum (steel will acquire the necessary plasticity) and insert it into place. The elastic properties of the spring will not change.
The starter is one of the most important mechanisms in any modern chainsaw. It depends on him to start the engine of the tool in any weather conditions. The chainsaw starter stands out for its simple design, it is easy to maintain and repair it yourself. However, in order to fix the breakdown, you must first find its cause. To do this, most often it is required to completely disassemble the standard mechanism.
Easily Fix Your Pull Start Recoil Spring for Small Engine
Chainsaw starter. Learning to self-repair
Any chainsaw requires a starter to quickly start. With accelerated scrolling of the crankshaft of the tool, the fuel-air mixture supplied to the engine is compressed and subsequently ignited. Therefore, the normal operation of the starter for the chainsaw determines the performance of the entire mechanism.