How to wind the line around the Patriot grass trimmer reel?
Almost every beginner is faced with the problem of changing line when using a grass trimmer. While it is very easy to change your line, you need to learn how to do it correctly. Changing the fishing line with proper skill will take no more than five minutes. you just need to constantly practice it. This article will look at changing line using Patriot trimmers as an example.
For the threading of the line into the trimmer head to be successful, it is important not to miscalculate with the choice of consumables. The thicker the cord you tuck in, the thicker and tougher the grass it will be able to cut. Often a universal line is used, the diameter of which is 2 mm. You can choose a diameter suitable for the mower in the following ways:
- Refer to the instructions that came with the trimmer for line thickness information.
- Pay attention to the bobbin itself. Sometimes information about the possible diameters of the fishing line is applied on it.
- Another option is to try inserting the cord into the exit hole. If it easily goes into it, then the selected line diameter is suitable for use.
Grass trimmer reel You can choose the cord according to the motor type. If the line is too thick, then the resistance to rotation will increase. in this case, the engine will overheat and will soon fail. Helpful hints:
- For an electrical device with a motor less than 500 V, a 1.3 mm thread is suitable. If you can’t find one, then you can use a 1.6 mm line. If the power is more than 1 kW, then select a cord with a diameter of 2 mm.
- With a petrol grass trimmer, the shaft mower counts. For the folded version, a 2 mm cord is often used. If the shaft is straight, use a 2.4-2.5 or 3mm thread. The thickest line is installed on powerful devices. from 1.3 kW.
Pay attention to the type of section of the cord thread. Some popular options:
- The most common round lines. They mow fresh grasses well, but they cope worse with shrubs, dead wood.
- Twisted (spiral) cord is not very strong, but is good for thin young grass.
- Serrated thread with sharp edges is ideal for large weeds in a neglected area.
- You can mow your lawn more evenly with rectangular, star or square grass trimmer lines, but they are not very strong.
- Strongest. two-piece inner-core round cord.
Types of line for the grass trimmer Please note that you cannot use wire, metal strings and cables, as well as regular fishing thread instead of fishing line. The device will be dangerous to both the user and others. So the cable or similar products will gradually begin to work, as a result, their ends will unravel, and small pieces will scatter at high speed.
Spool Trimmer Heads
The main elements of the trigger is the mowing head, which is a cylindrical body with a bobbin inserted inside. The fishing line (cord) is tucked into it. The heads differ from each other in the way of feeding and threading the cord. There are three types of heads in total:
- Automatic. The line is then fed as the user decreases the engine speed. Automatic cord feeding is very convenient when there is a lot of work to be done. The disadvantage of such a head is the high thread consumption.
- Semi-automatic. The use of such a head does not require the user to perform any complex manipulations. The principle of its operation is designed in such a way that the line begins to automatically lengthen while the grass trimmer is operating at full speed. You just need to lightly bang the head of the machine on the ground (this will remove the blocking of the line), and the cord will be pulled out of the bobbin due to centrifugal force. Then the line is cut to the required length with a knife, which is located on the protective cover.
- Manual. To lengthen the cord, it is necessary to stop the apparatus. After that, the line will need to be pulled out manually.
Types of trimmer spools
Champion Help Center: Straight-Shaft String Trimmer Line Replacement
It also happens that sometimes it is not worth puzzling over how to fill the line in the grass trimmer, since it is enough just to adjust the line as necessary, thereby increasing work productivity. Alternatively, the cutting element can be cut with a knife if it protrudes too much. But the length can also be adjusted right in the process of mowing vegetation, gently touching the head of the fishing line to the floor. But this can be done only under the condition that the material extends beyond the coil by at least 3 centimeters.
One of the main rules when replacing and adjusting equipment is that any manipulations with the mechanism should be carried out exclusively with the engine off and the device plug disconnected from the mains.
Perhaps these tips will tell you how to tuck the line into the grass trimmer as correctly as possible and, accordingly, give your site a neat and aesthetic appearance. All that is required is to correctly select the cutting material required by the type and, of course, to determine the category of the most used grass trimmer.
Near the house he always looked well-groomed and neat, he must be cut regularly. Fortunately, modern technology allows you to solve this problem without excessive physical effort. Electric grass trimmers are so easy to operate and maintain that even a teenager can use them to mow. The main thing is to figure out in advance how to fill in the grass trimmer.
Threading the line into the reel of a grass trimmer is a relatively straightforward procedure, provided you follow a specific procedure. When you need to determine how many meters of consumable is enough, wind it on the bobbin so that the skein does not exceed the diameter of the sides. After deciding on the length of the cord, follow the instructions below:
- Fold the consumable in half so that one end of the line is 10-15 cm longer than the other.
- Start charging from the center board that divides the grass trimmer bobbin into 2 parts. Find the groove where the cord should be inserted. Bend the last in half.
- Determine in which direction you want to wind the line. To do this, take a closer look at the bobbin, which may contain an arrow or an inscription. She indicates the side of the winding. If there are no markings on the reel, then look at the arrow on the mowing head. wind in the opposite direction.
- The consumables should be washed gently, turn to turn. Try to stick to the maximum thread tension.
- After completing the lining, secure the short end of the material first. To do this, insert it into a groove on the side of the coil that fits in diameter. The other end (longer), attach in the groove on the other side of the grass trimmer bobbin.
- After securing the fishing line, cut off the ends. Do not forget to leave allowances of about 10 cm.
- Place the loaded bobbin onto the mowing head of the device. To do this, you need to alternately insert and pull the thread into the outlet holes of the head, in order to then place the bobbin of the device into the skin.
- Using the required force, pull the cord out of the locking grooves and tighten the material. After completing this step, put on the cover and secure it with the latches.
Winding the line to the spool step-by-step You can also wind the cord onto the grass trimmer in another way, in which two pieces of material are charged instead of one. The replacement is done like this:
- Bend one end of the cord into a crochet hook.
- There should be a hole at the bottom of the bobbin to hold the line in place. Insert the bent end of the thread there.
- Wind the cord material in the direction of the arrow to the desired level, which does not exceed the diameter of the grass trimmer spool.
- Do the same for the second bobbin compartment.
- The assembly of the device head is similar to the first method.
Removing and disassembling the coil
The mowing trimmer head consists of a cover, a spring (not available in every model), a bobbin with a cord, and a cover. Be sure to unplug the grass trimmer before disassembling the coil of the electrical unit. The disassembly method depends on the mounting of the mowing head. First option:
- To remove the cover that covers the inside of the head, press on the latches (latches) that are located on both sides of the head.
- Remove the cover, under which you will see the spool. remove it from the body. Some trimmer spools have a spring under the bobbin, which must also be carefully pulled out.
- After removing the bobbin, you will see a screw in the center of the case. Unscrew it with a screwdriver.
- After removing the fasteners, take the body of the part and, shaking it in different directions, remove the gearbox from the shaft.
In the second version, the grass trimmer head is screwed onto the gearbox shaft. To remove it, you need to fix the shaft. For this, such devices have a hole through which a thin screwdriver or metal rod is inserted. Brief instruction:
- Insert a screwdriver into the special hole, then lock the shaft.
- Grasp the body of the head and start twisting it. This should be done clockwise, since the thread on the shaft is left.
Winding the line to the reel
How to wind the line around the mowing head of a grass trimmer or brushcutter
For the second and third options, the coils, depending on the design, are disassembled by different methods. In bobbins with a lamb, the lamb is turned inside out, in coils with latches, the latches are pressed and one part of the coil is released from the other. If the halves of the spool are connected by thread, then it is enough to turn them by hand in the opposite directions until they are completely unscrewed.
Sluggishly completed disassembly of the spool-spool without losing its spare parts allows you to proceed to the main task. winding the fishing line into the spool. Technological features of the spool design and the number of working antennae determine the sequence of actions.
The simplest option and an easy sequence of actions:
- The dimensions of the reel and the length of the unique factory winding determine the recommended length of the line for winding. 2 5 m.
- One end of the line is inserted into the fixing technological hole located on the inside of the spool.
- The fishing line is wound on the drum in the reverse rotation of the spool on the trimmer product in the direction. you, on the inside of the bobbin an arrow indicates in which direction the winding is being carried out.
- A small section of the fishing line is left free to bring it out. it is fixed in a special groove on the inner side of the bobbin, created to hold the winding when assembling the bobbin into working condition.
- The left end of the line is passed through the hole on the outside of the bobbin.
- The bobbin halves are assembled and put on the trimmer bar.
In this type of spools, you should find the number of grooves for winding the line, lying on the inside of the reel:
- one groove. both antennae are wound together along one groove;
- two grooves. who’s antennae is wound along a personal groove.
How to Tuck Line Into the Champion Grass Trimmer
The guaranteed output of the factory fill of the grass trimmer will inevitably require a line change. Having a very rough idea of what it really is, how to thread the line into the reel of a grass trimmer without the help of others, the newcomers are reluctant to take up this business. But with some abilities, mastering this simple science does not present any difficulties, and the similar annotation presented below will greatly facilitate this process.
First, to wind the fishing line, you need to remove the spool (bobbin, spool) from the grass trimmer. certain actions will depend on the complexity of the configuration and the type of product itself:
- small electronic grass trimmers with working position of the motor and reel at the bottom, you have side buttons on both sides of the reel. When pressed at the same time, the upper part of the reel, together with the inner content for winding the line, is disconnected, although the lower part remains on the trimmer. It is better to parse the bobbin on an even, smooth place so that the spring included in the structure does not jump out and is not lost;
- electronic and gasoline grass trimmers with a curved bar without the ability to install a knife, you have spools with a special lamb: in similar designs, hold the spool in a fixed position with one hand, and turn the locking reel on the bar counterclockwise with the wing nut. After disconnecting the nut, the entire bobbin is removed.
- Electronic and petrol grass trimmers with the option of installing the blade on a straight bar (eg STIHL grass trimmers) have a hole under the reel. For the rod to remain stationary, a screwdriver is inserted into this hole, as it is also called another suitable object, and with unhurried rotation, such mutual placement is achieved when the screwdriver goes inside the hole, and the bobbin is fixed. Then the coil body is scrolled clockwise (left-handed) and removed from the grass trimmer.
How to replace line in Champion T266 trimmer
For both cases, a fishing line with a length of 2-3 m is taken.In single-groove reels, the fishing line is pulled into a through hole, its ends (antennae) are folded together and aligned, then they are wound in the reverse direction of rotation of the bobbin on the rod side. inside the arrow the correct direction of winding is ordinarily indicated. If there are fixing grooves, the ends of the fishing line are threaded through there, in other words, they are held with the fingers of the free hand, they are threaded into the through hole of the outer half of the bobbin, the spool is locked and attached to the trimmer bar.
The difference in line winding in two-groove spools is that at first a 2-5 m long line is folded in half (to determine the middle fold), and the fold loop is inserted into a special groove between the grooves. Both antennae of the fishing line are wound on their own groove, fixing the antennae and assembling the coil is similar to the above option with one groove.
The first execution of this process, to you, will seem long and rather laborious, however, over time and experience, this task will be solved much faster and easier.
The video below will clearly show how to thread the line into the reel of the grass trimmer and wind it correctly. this operation is not difficult and with some patience it will certainly be crowned with success:
There is a type of reel, where the automatic mechanism produces winding without the help of others. from the user it is enough to correctly fill the line. The fishing line is passed through a hole on the inside of the body, its antennae without winding are threaded through the hole on the outer body, the reel is assembled, and when the winding button is rotated, the fishing line is wound from the inside without the help of others. In such a spool, it is unrealistic to make the winding wrong: the mechanism itself will determine the correct direction, since it can only rotate in one direction.
How to wind the line onto the spool of the grass trimmer. detailed instructions
petrol grass trimmerVariety of petrol trimmersModel powerEngine type Cutting elementHand shapeFuel filling methodNoise levelHow to fill the line in the trimmerCord selectionWhat
- petrol grass trimmer
- Varieties of benzotrimmers
- Model power
- engine’s type
- Cutting element
- Handle shape
- Fuel filling method
- Noise level
- How to tuck line in a grass trimmer
- Picking a cord
- What are the coils
- Algorithm of actions
- First option for double bobbin
- Second winding option
- Tool feeding methods
- Substitution rules
Is the grass trimmer cutting thread worn out and needs to be rewound? Don’t be in a hurry to panic. There are several ways to wind the line around the spool of the grass trimmer. The choice of method depends on the bobbin design and tool model. Understanding the details of the process.
the grass trimmer can have several attachments to work with different types of vegetation
Lightweight and compact household devices for combating grass on an area of less than 15 acres have a capacity of up to 1 hp. This figure is enough for a summer residence, a small lawn.
Power within 1. 3 hp. necessary to combat shrubs, thin branches. This is an indicator of industrial and universal units. They have a longer service life, weight, some models can create a high noise level.
If you need to get rid of young shoots of trees, thick branches of shrubs, lawn mowers with a capacity of more than 3 hp are used. These are heavy apparatus that require great physical effort to work with. The advantages of such mowers are a large supply of fuel, separate refueling of gasoline and oil, high productivity.
Model with a shoulder strap for easy operation
petrol grass trimmer
Small mobile devices for cutting grass and young branches, consisting of a bar, a motor, a cutting part and a handle are called a trimmer.
The device without a trimmer is simple, it is easy to disassemble, if necessary
There are electric and gasoline modifications. The former do not fill with fuel, but they depend on the length of the cord. The latter work regardless of the availability of electricity, anywhere in the garden or vegetable garden.
Gasoline grass trimmers are lighter and less expensive than lawn mowers. They cope with grass and shrubs, so such mowers are used in everyday life and on an industrial scale. For convenience, the technique provides straps that are worn on the shoulder. Thus, the stress on the arms and back is reduced.
Cutting the grass is done with a knife or fishing line. The first option is more efficient. The knife copes with dense thickets of grass, branches, does not need to be wound. The disadvantage of knives is a high level of danger, the need to periodically sharpen the tool. True, all models have protective blocks, but they are installed from the operator’s side.
The line is safe, light, and does not need to be sharpened. The disadvantage of this type of cutting element is that it is not designed for thick branches. For young grass, use a line with a thickness of 2 mm, for tougher vegetation, use a line with a diameter of 3 mm.
The saw blade is used for cutting the toughest branches.
Cutting disc handles grass and small branches with ease
There is a universal option with changing the cutting element. In such trimmers, the line and the knife change, based on the task at hand. The disadvantage of such devices is a high price.
Tool feeding methods
In benzotrimmers there are 3 ways of feeding the line:
In the first case, the thread is pulled at the ends after stopping the tool.
In the second, wire feed starts after unlocking. To do this, you need to lightly hit the head on the ground.
In an automatic device, the mechanism is triggered independently after starting the engine. This option is convenient for performing a large amount of work. Disadvantage of the machine. it requires a long piece of thread.
Picking a cord
There are general rules for choosing a line for a grass trimmer.
- If the petrol grass trimmer is equipped with an engine power of less than 500 V, select a working thread with a thickness of 1.3 mm.
- For a motor over 1000 V, use a 2 mm cord.
- If the work shaft is bent, a 2 mm thread will do. For straight line. 2.4. 3 mm.
- When choosing a fishing line, consider the cross section. For young and thin grass, use a spiral cord. If you are cutting weeds, use a jagged line. Use a rectangular thread to give your lawn a flat surface, but the thread is not strong. Use a round line with internal wire to eliminate tricky thickets.
Better not to change the line to metal wire. Doing so can damage the instrument as well as injure in the event of a rupture.
Manufacturers offer 2 handle options:
- T-shaped (in the form of a bicycle handlebar);
The handle in the form of the letter “T” is installed on models with automatic line rewinding. The work is carried out with 2 hands located on both sides of the bar. This position is convenient for mowing large areas of vegetation. The cut is made according to the principle of a grass braid. from one side to the other. This option does not differ in maneuverability, does not work well on difficult terrain. The bicycle handlebars can be equipped with control buttons. In household types of grass trimmer, the trigger buttons are installed on the bar.
Classic grass trimmer with reversible handle with control buttons
The petrol trimmer with a D-shaped handle is more maneuverable, it is convenient for them to mow the grass in areas with difficult terrain. In such an instrument, the hands are placed one above the other. The drawback of the handle is that it is difficult to hold, the control of such a device is more complicated.
The handle in the form of the English letter “J” is the most inconvenient, therefore it is rarely found.
How to wind the line on the grass trimmer correctly
A garden grass trimmer is a useful tool that makes life much easier for any gardener or private home owner. The grass just rushes in the summer, especially after the rains, so you can’t go anywhere without it. But over time, sooner or later, the line in it will end, and it will be necessary to insert a replaceable skein of new line. Some summer residents get stumped. how to do it yourself? So our article will help them.
Changing the line on the trimmer
This article will tell you how to change the line on the trimmer. For some people, this job may not be easy. But the step-by-step instructions that are available here will help you in this matter.
So the first thing to do is remove the gear cover. We combine the hole on the side of the curly lower washer and the axial recess, insert a screwdriver to fix the shaft from scrolling. Now unscrew the nozzle. The thread on the shaft, as a rule, has a reverse thread, take this into account when unscrewing.
Next, the disassembly of the nozzle follows. There, the lid is secured with latches through the holes. So you just have to push these clips into the holes and the cover will come off. If the attachment has automatic / semi-automatic line feeding modes, it means that there is a spring inside, which can simply fly out when the lid is opened, be prepared for this. We lay out all the removed parts neatly in order.
Now it’s time to take the line and rewind 5 meters from it, cut off this piece. Pay attention to its thickness, do not wind a line of greater thickness on the unit than specified in the manual for the tool. Otherwise, there will be an increased load on the engine and higher fuel consumption during operation. We bend the measured line in half to find the middle and get a loop.
There are a couple of notches in the middle of the coil, sometimes these are not notches, but holes located opposite each other. With a loop we cling to one of the grooves and wind the fishing line counterclockwise. If the reel has 2 compartments, then we wind each end of the fishing line on them separately. Leave the last 15-20 cm free and clamp them while in the recesses of the coil.
We assemble the device again, pull the free ends of the fishing line into the holes on the body. We put on the cover, snapping the latches into their grooves. Now you can pull out these loose ends of the line.
It remains only to attach the working node in place, as in the first paragraph. Do not forget about reverse rotation on screwing.
Now you can learn how to wind the line around the grass trimmer. Actually, the whole process was detailed above. No time-consuming operations requiring the presence of specialists. Your lawnmower is ready for use again.
How to properly wind the line around the spool of the grass trimmer
Many, having worked out the factory line on a recently purchased trimmer, try to wind a new one, but they cannot, because they do not know how to properly wind the line on the spool (bobbin) of the grass trimmer. It seems that there is an instruction, but it still does not work. Let’s try in this article to deal with this issue.
So, in order to wind the line, you first need to remove the coil from the grass trimmer. this will be more convenient. How to remove will depend on the type of grass trimmer.
Removing the coil from the grass trimmer
On small electric bottom motor trimmers (when operating near the ground), the reel usually has two buttons on the sides. Click on them and disconnect one half of the coil body from the second, which remains on the trimmer. Together with the first half, the inner part is also taken out, on which the fishing line is directly wound. When parsing, be careful: there is a spring inside that can fly out and get lost.
On electric and gasoline trimmers with a curved bar (there is still no way to put a knife on such trimmers), you need to wrap the coil body itself with one hand, and with the other hand you need to start rotating the lamb on it counterclockwise. It is he who attaches the coil to the grass trimmer bar. Having unscrewed the lamb, carefully remove the entire coil, trying not to lose the spring inside.
On electric and gasoline trimmers with a straight bar and a gear at its end (on such grass trimmers, in addition to fishing line, you can also install a knife), we look for a hole under the coil, insert, for example, a screwdriver into it, quietly rotate the coil until the screwdriver crawls even deeper and the coil will lock. Now turn the whole coil clockwise (since the thread is left-hand) and remove it from the grass trimmer. Next, we disassemble the coil. It can be assembled with latches or twisted with a lamb. If the coil is on latches, then press on the sides on the base of the latches so that they bend and release one half of the coil body from the other. We just unscrew the lamb. There may also be a third type of connection of two halves of such a coil: with it, you need to grab the lower part with one hand, and the upper part with the other, and start turning them in opposite directions. When disassembling such a coil, you also need to make sure that the spring inside is not lost.
than 200 types of trimmers in one place at the lowest prices. Click and watch
Now, having removed and disassembled the coil, we proceed, in fact, to winding.
If your coil is designed to work with only one tendril, then it’s simple. You need to unwind 2-4 m of fishing line (depending on the size of the reel), find a fixing hole for the line on the inside of the reel, insert one end of the line there and start winding the line in the direction opposite to the direction of rotation of the reel on the trimmer. On the inside of the reel, they usually indicate with an arrow in which direction to wind the line. After winding the fishing line, we leave a small piece of it unwound to expose it. We fix this piece in a special groove located on the inner part of the reel and designed so that the line does not unwind at the time of collecting the reel. If there is no such groove, then you will have to hold the fishing line with your finger to prevent it from unwinding during the further collection of the coil. Next, we take the outer part of the coil and thread the outer piece of fishing line into the existing hole, assemble and put the coil back on the grass trimmer.
If the coil is designed to work with two antennae, then do the following. On the inside of the reel, we look at how many grooves there are for winding the fishing line. There may be one or two of them. If there is only one groove, then both antennae are wound along this one groove. If there are two grooves, then each antenna is wound along its own groove. A reel with one groove should have a through hole through which the line is threaded. We unwind 2-4 m of fishing line, thread it through this hole so that it sticks out equally on each side of the fishing line. And we simultaneously wind both antennae of the fishing line in the same direction, opposite to the direction of rotation of the coil on the trimmer and coinciding with the direction indicated by the arrow on the inside of the coil. We leave a little of the fishing line unwound, fix the resulting ends in special grooves, and if they are not there, we hold them with our fingers. We pass both ends into the existing holes on the outer casing of the coil. We collect the coil and attach it to the trimmer.
If there are two grooves, fold a piece of fishing line 2-4 m long in half, insert the loop obtained at the place of the fold into the groove between the two grooves, and simultaneously wind both ends of the fishing line along its own groove. Further actions are similar to the previous option.
There are also reels in which the fishing line is threaded through a through hole on the inside. After that, the ends of the line, without winding, are threaded completely through the holes on the outer body of the reel, collect the reel and begin to rotate the button, which is usually pressed, in order to release the line during operation as it wears out. Rotate the button. the fishing line itself is wound inside. At the same time, it will not work to turn it in the “wrong” direction, since it can only rotate in one direction. If you get used to it, you can wind fishing line on such a reel without even disassembling it. you just need to combine the through hole of the inner drum with the holes on the outer body of the reel, and then thread the fishing line through them.
That’s all on this issue. Happy winding!