Advise an unbreakable reel for a grass trimmer
Equipment for mowing weeds and lawns with proper care can last for many years, but the consumables for the machine will have to buy and change regularly. It is not enough to replenish stocks of lubricant, fuel (for gasoline-powered saws), fishing line (cord, string), blades and discs. You will need to keep an eye on the main cutting tool. the grass trimmer spool. This part can break due to long work or be of inherently low quality. That’s why it’s better to know in advance how to find its replacement and not to make a wrong choice. Below is a description of all kinds of reels and the most important criteria in choosing a reel, as well as the top five models in different categories.
The trimmer spool holds the trimmer line for mowing grass. On some devices the cord is wound in coils, to others the ready pieces are attached. In the first case, the length of the line is 1-8 m, and in some models up to 15 m, in the second. a few tens of centimeters for each piece. The spool itself is the central part of the working head of the grass trimmer, but these terms are often used synonymously.
The bobbin with the line wound on it is enclosed in a casing that includes two parts: a base and a cover, which are connected by snaps. The filament is fed through the holes in the body, of which there may be 2 or more, for example to use lines of different diameters for the trimmer without having to change the spool. Between the bobbin and the cover there is a spring, thanks to which the line for the trimmer comes out or is pulled out to replace the frayed end. Screw the construction to the trimmer’s boom for grass trimming with a bolt.
Just a side note! With spider-type spools, the cords are spooled individually, like in the Kumm universal model T 31, or bundled in the center, like in the aluminum head T 34 of the same manufacturer or in the similar model Khoper wth905a.
Grass trimmer reel classification
Since grass trimmers are available in a large variety, the bobbins on them also have several types. They are classified by different characteristics: by the need for user participation in the process of filing the string, by manufacturing material, by design (for semi-automatic models) and by the method of winding the cord on the spool.
By filament feeding
According to the method of filament feeding trimmer heads are divided into:
Manual reel appeared before other variants. Its design is simple and reliable, but winding line for the trimmer instead of used need to manually. To do this, you have to turn off the grass trimmer motor and pull both ends to a suitable length.
Semi-automatic spool allows you to extend the cord without turning off the engine, right during operation. This requires the head to be pressed against a hard surface for the mechanism to work, which releases the ends of the fishing line. The centrifugal force unwinds the cord, and the person lifts the head of the device above the ground again when the length is sufficient. The whole procedure takes seconds.
Automatic spool is triggered when the mower reduces the engine speed (this feature has a lawnmower, but not trimmer electric grass) or starts it. The line for the trimmer is extended until the user revs up again.
Important! Some cutting heads are only available for specific trimmer models, but there are reels that fit different brands and types of appliances. Such devices are called universal.
According to the material from which the working heads are made, there is a distinction between plastic and metal coils. The former are made of shock-resistant plastic, the latter are made of aluminum and steel.
Semi-automatic bobbins come in one or two sections. On single section bobbins the cord is wound evenly, the turns are distributed in one groove. Two-section reels are divided in half, so that the line for the trimmer is placed in two grooves, and when extending the working part, each end is uncoiled from its compartment. Uneven winding is not important for these bobbins.
According to the type of winding
According to the method of winding the line on the reel are the following types of spools:
To fill a collapsible bobbin, you will have to turn off the grass trimmer, remove the cutting head, remove the spool from it, remove the remains of worn-out fishing line and manually wind a new. Then reassemble in reverse order and continue mowing.
The fast-charge spool does not need to be removed for filament winding. It is enough to slip the ends of the new fishing line into the holes on the body of the spool, wind it on the spool in the required amount and cut off the excess length or cut a loop.
Attention! Only thread the cord in the opposite direction to the operating movement of the reel when threading. The correct side is indicated by an arrow on the bobbin itself.
How to choose a trimmer head for grass?
In order for the mowing head to show high efficiency, the owner of a brushcutter will need to approach its selection correctly. There are a number of factors to consider:
- experience. if a novice gardener is buying, it is best to buy an automatic spool. Semi-automatic and manual bobbins are best suited for use by more experienced gardeners;
- material. the reliability of the spool depends on it. Metal models are considered the most durable, but they weigh much more than standard plastic devices. When working with a metal bobbin, the engine of the brushcutter succumbs to an increased load, so you should buy them only for working with a powerful gasoline reel;
- the diameter of the line used. medium power trimmers use spools that can be threaded with a line thickness of no more than 1.6 mm. powerful brushcutters with more than 2.5 liters. с. You can fit attachments that can be filled with cutting cord with a thickness of more than 2 mm.
Simplicity also plays an important role when selecting a reel. For beginners, bobbins that consist of a minimum number of parts are best suited. experienced gardeners can use larger reels.
Top 3 most reliable reels for domestic use
The market has its own ranking of the most durable mowing heads. They stand out for their simplicity of construction, reliability and resistance to damage. They include:
- 3rd place. Bosch K-103. This is a universal reel weighing about 300 g. It is most often used with Makita and Hyundai brushcutters. It features low cord consumption, impact resistance and durability. Its core and other parts are made of forged steel and its body is made of plastic;
- 2nd place. Flymo 15. This semi-automatic model for trimmers is equipped with thin cup that leads to higher consumption of cutting line. Nevertheless, it has proven to be good for mowing grass in rocky terrain. You only need to use a thin trimmer line to work with it;
- 1st place. EFCO 8100. This model ranks among the most reliable mowing heads. It operates in fully automatic mode, making it easy to fill with cutting filament. Only thin trimmer line is used for spool operation. Model body is made of durable multi-layer plastic.
Despite of stability and durability, all listed coils are cheaper than other, less qualitative analogs, which makes them leaders on the post-soviet market.
There are many models on the market, but there are a few manufacturers that have long been popular with gardeners.
This is a semi-automatic reel, which is used to work with the trimmer “Patriot”. But also suitable for all straight-boom gasoline trimmers. Adjusts the cutting line length by lightly hitting the ground. The Bosh K103 is considered universal, for example. This spool weighs only 300 grams and is perfect for Makita and Hyundai trimmers. Characterized by a sturdy line and moderate consumption. The base of the spool is metal and rarely breaks, and the head is automatic.
A great model for gasoline and electric grass trimmer. With automatic line feed. Made of impact-resistant plastic. The method of attachment of the fishing line. winding.
STIHL AutoCut C 5-2
This is a convenient model of semi-automatic mowing head. Great for difficult terrain, walls, curbs and other small obstacles. No need to dismantle the mowing head to change the brushcutter line. All adjustments are made by touching the reel to the ground.
Trimmer reels are one of the main components of a brushcutter. Therefore, when selecting this part, it is important to pay attention to everything: the material of manufacture, the type of line feed, as well as whether the spool fits the particular model of grass trimmer. A universal spool is best, as it fits on several models of brushcutter. It is not always possible to find a head that fits your brushcutter exclusively. Most experts and users still recommend going with semi-automatic coils, because they’re good value for money.
Automatic line spool for grass trimmer
How to tuck the line for the trimmer into the grass trimmer spool? Video instruction
Warranty run out of factory weed trimmer filler will inevitably require a substitution of fishing line. Having a very rough idea of how to fill in the line for a trimmer reel trimmer for grass without helping others, newcomers do not take up the cause of hunting. But with some ability to master this simple science is not difficult, and presented below a similar annotation will ease the process.
First of all, the winding of the fishing line requires removing the spool (bobbin, bobbin) from the grass trimmer. certain actions will depend on the difficulty of configuration and the type of the product itself:
- small electronic grass trimmers with the working arrangement of the motor and spool at the bottom usually have side buttons on both sides of the reel. When pressed there at the same time, the higher part of the spool, along with the internal contents for winding the fishing line, disengages, although the lower part remains on the trimmer. Disassembly of the bobbin is better to create on a smooth even place, that included in the design of the spring is not popped up is not lost;
- Electronic and gasoline grass trimmers with a curved rod without the ability to install a knife, you have a special spool wing: a similar design should be one hand to hold the bobbin in an immobile position, and the other counterclockwise to twist fixing spool on the rod nut, wing nut. After loosening the nut the entire bobbin is removed.
- electronic and gasoline grass trimmers with the ability to install a knife on a straight boom (nettle, STIHL grass trimmers) under the bobbin has a hole. To immobilize the rod in this hole is inserted a screwdriver or other suitable object, and a slow turn is achieved in such a reciprocal position when the screwdriver goes into the hole, and the bobbin is fixed. After which the coil body is scrolled clockwise (at left-hand thread) and removed from the grass trimmer.
For the second and third version of spools, depending on the design, disassembled by different methods. In bobbins with a drum unscrew the drum, in spools with snaps press the locking latches and one part of the spool is released from the other. If the bobbin halves are threaded together, it is sufficient to turn them by hand in opposite directions until they are completely undone.
Before buying a bobbin, it is worth referring to the documentation on the grass trimmer, which specifies the recommended parameters of mowing heads, line thickness, diameter of the landing hole for the spool, type of attachment, thread (left or right) and fixation axis (rigid or rotating 90/180/360 degrees). The same information is indicated on the packaging of consumables along with the models of equipment, on which a particular head can be installed.
- Of the three types of spools according to the line feed method, it is better to choose semi-automatic. They are more convenient than manual ones. Among such spools there are fast-charge models, as well as universal samples, designed for different trimmers and with holes for the line for the trimmer of different thickness. You can mow two or three different kinds of grass with this head: soft grass, wild growth, and tall grass with tough stems. For each type of thicket, you only need to buy a cord with the right cross section, not a separate spool.
- If you want to mow only certain type of vegetation, you can settle for a line reel for a trimmer of the same diameter. Other tasks can be handled by knives or discs.
- Too cheap cutting heads made of brittle plastic break down quickly, so saving too much can cost you more.
- Do not install reels of little-known brands on grass trimmers from reputable manufacturers. Popular companies produce accessories that are best suited to the technique of the same brand.
Often the market leaders produce spools for other companies trimmers. In this case, the replacement will work as well as the original. For example, the Denzel 96304 working head is suitable for gasoline and electric trimmers of the same brand, but is also recommended for use on Greenline and MTD mowers.
For your information! Some coils are designed to work only with trimmers of one manufacturer, although the model range can be quite wide. For example, T25 head for gasoline Husqvarna 128R will fit about thirty lawnmower models of the same company.
Among the best manufacturers are German Al-ko, Bosch, STIHL, Gardena, Swedish Husqvarna, American Black Decker, Patriot, Japanese Ryobi, Makita, Russian Champion, Denzel, Huter, Khoper, Ukrainian Foresta.
Filling the fishing line into the grass trimmer reel is a relatively simple procedure, provided that you follow a certain algorithm. When you need to determine how many meters of consumable material is enough, wind it on the bobbin so that the coil does not exceed the diameter of the sides. Once you have decided on the length of the cord, follow the instructions below:
- Fold the consumable material in half so that one end of the line is 10-15 cm longer than the other.
- Start with the center curb that divides the grass trimmer’s bobbin into two parts. Find the groove where to insert the cord. Fold the last end in half.
- Determine which direction to wind the trimmer line. To do this, look closely at the bobbin, which may have an arrow or inscription on it. This indicates the winding direction. If there’s no marking on the spool, look at the arrow on the mowing headwind it in the opposite direction.
- Wrap the material carefully, coil by coil. Try to keep the thread as tight as possible.
- After you finish laying the cord, secure the short end of the material first. To do this, insert it into the groove on the sidewall of the coil, which fits the diameter. Attach the second end (longer) in the groove on the other side of the grass trimmer bobbin.
- After fixing the line for the trimmer, cut the ends. Do not forget to leave a seam allowance of about 10 cm.
- Fit the threaded reel to the mowing head of the machine. To do this, insert and pull the thread alternately into the output holes of the mowing head to place the bobbin of the device into the skin.
- After applying the required force, pull the cord out of the fixing grooves and tighten the material. Once you’ve done this, put on the cover and secure it with the clips.
Guaranteed factory refill grass trimmer will inevitably require a change of fishing line. Having a very rough idea of how to refill the line trimmer bobbin grass trimmer without the aid of others, newcomers do not take up this case without hunting. But with some ability to master this simple science is not difficult, and the following similar annotation will greatly facilitate the process.
First, for winding line requires removing the spool (bobbin, spool) with a trimmer for grass. certain actions will depend on the difficulty of configuration and type of product itself:
- small electronic grass trimmers with the motor and spool working at the bottom usually have side buttons on both sides of the reel. When pressed at the same time they have the highest part of the spool together with the internal contents for winding the fishing line is detached, although the lower remains on the trimmer. Disassembly of the bobbin is better to create on a flat smooth place, so that the spring included in the design does not pop out and do not get lost;
- Electronic and gasoline grass trimmers with a curved rod without the ability to install a knife, usually have a special spool wing: in similar designs, one hand should hold the bobbin in a stationary position, and the other counterclockwise to twist fixing the bobbin on the rod nut, wing nut. After unscrewing the nut the entire reel is removed.
- electronic and gasoline grass trimmers with the ability to install a knife on a straight bar (for example, STIHL grass trimmers) have a hole under the reel. To immobilize the rod, a screwdriver or other suitable object is inserted into this hole and a slow spinning motion achieves a reciprocal placement where the screwdriver goes into the hole and the bobbin is secured. Then the spool body is turned clockwise (for left-hand thread) and removed from the grass trimmer.
In order for the threading of the line into the trimmer head to be successful, it is important not to miscalculate with the choice of consumables. The thicker the cord you tuck in, the thicker and tougher the grass it can cut. A universal line for trimmers is often used, which has a diameter of 2 mm. You can find the right diameter for your mower in the following ways:
- Check the instruction manual supplied with your trimmer for information about line thickness.
- Note the bobbin itself. Sometimes it is marked with information about the possible line diameters.
- Another option is to try inserting a cord into the outlet. If it will easily pass through it, then the chosen diameter of the line is suitable for use.
Choose a cord according to the type of engine. If the line for the trimmer is too thick, it will increase the resistance to rotation. in this case, the motor will overheat greatly and will soon fail. Useful recommendations:
- For an electric device with a motor less than 500 V, a 1.3 mm thick filament is suitable. If you don’t have one, you can use 1.6 mm trimmer fishing line. If your power is more than 1 kW, you should choose a 2mm cord.
- With a gasoline grass trimmer, the shaft mower matters. For the bent version, a 2mm cord is often used. If the shaft is straight, then install a 2.4-2.5 or 3 mm thread. The thickest line for the trimmer is installed on powerful devices. from 1.3 kW.
Pay attention to the type of cord cross-section as well. Some popular options:
- The most common lines with a round section. They mow fresh grasses well, but do not handle shrubs and dead wood as well.
- Twisted (spiral) cord is not very strong, but is good for thin, young grass.
- Sharp-edged serrated filament is ideal for large weeds in a neglected area.
- You can mow the lawn more evenly with rectangular, starred or square grass trimmer lines, but they are not very durable.
- The strongest is a two-part cord with an inner core and a round section.
Keep in mind that you can’t use wire, metal strings and ropes, or ordinary fishing line instead of fishing line. The device will be dangerous for both the user and others. In this way, the rope or similar products will gradually begin to trigger, resulting in their ends unraveling, and the small pieces will fly apart with great speed.
Removing and disassembling the coil
The trimmer head consists of the housing, the spring (not every model has one), the bobbin with the cord, the cover. Before proceeding to disassemble the reel of the electric unit, be sure to unplug the grass trimmer from the mains. The method of disassembly depends on the attachment of the mowing head. First option:
- To remove the cover on the inside of the head, press in on the tabs (latches) located on both sides of the head.
- Remove the cover, under which you will see the bobbin. remove it from the housing. Some trimmer reels have a spring under the bobbin, which should also be carefully removed.
- After removing the bobbin, you’ll see a screw in the center of the body. Unscrew it with a screwdriver.
- After removing the fasteners, take the body of the part and, rocking it to and fro, remove the gearbox from the shaft.
In the second option, the grass trimmer head is screwed on the gearbox shaft. To remove it, you need to secure the shaft. For this purpose, such devices have a hole through which to insert a thin screwdriver or metal rod. A brief instruction:
- Insert a screwdriver into the special hole, and then lock the shaft.
- Grasp the body of the head and begin to twist it. This should be done in a clockwise direction, t. к. thread on the shaft left.
How to put a chain instead of a fishing line on a grass trimmer
You can additionally “pump” the unit to mow not only grass, but also weeds and young growth. This does not require expensive tools or special skills. As the saying goes, everything brilliant is simple!
- chain from an old chainsaw;
- bent inside the cup, which is used to attach the grass trimmer blades;
- washer and nut;
- vise, marker and ruler;
- welding machine;
- metal drills.
The length from the chain ends to the washer should be the same.
Additional recommendations for changing the line
Before you load the line for the trimmer into the spool, you should take advantage of a few tips from the manufacturers. They will be of interest not only to beginners, but also to experienced trimmer owners.
These tips will help prevent personal injury and extend the life of the equipment:
- Do not wind the line tightly or with force, and do not use a greater length than necessary.
- After replacing the fishing line, check that the machine is working properly.
- The cover should be set until the characteristic clicks. If at least one catch does not click into place, the filament can fly off while you are working.
Important! Use safety glasses and suits to cut the grass, as small objects can fly off and injure other people underneath the rotating parts of the machine.
Characteristic faults and troubleshooting
It’s natural that trimmer owners encounter some mowing head failures during operation. These are more often caused by certain difficulties in pulling (lengthening) the cutting filament out of the reel. The most common causes of no line feed are line “bite” between coils or line sticking.
If the string doesn’t feed
In this case the fault is caused by the cutting filament being wound incorrectly. the line for a trimmer may be wound with insufficient tension, which contributes to crisscrossing of coils with each other and to string entanglement. As the coil rotates, the cutting filament is drawn in by the centrifugal force produced, which in turn causes the free end of the line to be caught between the coils. To eliminate this fault, the spool must be disassembled, disassembled and rewound so that the line coils lie in even rows and are pressed tightly together.
If the line is sticking
The coils of line may be sticking together directly in the mowing head:
Tip! To avoid the cords sticking together inside the mowing head, specialists recommend applying a thin layer of silicone grease on the surface of the line after threading it into the spool. Also, it is best not to use line for your trimmer from unknown manufacturers.
If the user still could not avoid the adhesion of the fishing line, then to repair the grass trimmer reel should be removed and replace the existing cord for a better quality.
If there is too much string flow
When using semi-automatic mowing heads the user may detect an accelerated flow of the cutting filament because of spontaneous lengthening of the filament. This is usually caused by a loosening of the spring inside the reel. The malfunction can be eliminated by placing several washers under the spring.
If the bobbin does not spin
Failure of the semi-automatic grass trimmer reel can also be caused by frequent collision of its head with hard objects (dry branches, soil, stones, etc.).). In this situation the line becomes slightly stretched and then quickly retracts inside the reel. Strong friction causes the filament to heat up, which may cause the filament coils to stick together. The line needs to be rewound to remedy the defect.
If the string feeds spontaneously
Unintentional lengthening of the line and subsequent cutting off of the line ends may be due to incorrect assembly of the mowing head after replacing the cutting filament. Inexperienced users often forget to install the compression spring inside the head, which causes premature tripping of the line feed mechanism.
Disassembly of the mowing head
Proceeding to repair the grass trimmer head, the owner must protect himself from injury if the engine is accidentally started, for which it is imperative to completely de-energize the electric garden tool or to shut down the engine of the brushcutter. Most often, the owner of the grass trimmer faces the need to replace the cutting cord. this should only be done after the head has been removed from the shaft. Be careful when doing this to avoid damaging the mower shaft.
Important! Gearbox shaft, which the grass trimmer is equipped with, has a left-hand thread at the end, so the mowing head is unscrewed clockwise when removing.
Dismantle the coil in the following order:
- by aligning the holes available on the axle and the washer, rigidly fix the mower shaft by means of a screwdriver or a metal rod;
- unscrew the actuator, turning its body clockwise.
After removing the mowing head, proceed to its disassembly, which requires carefully opening the cover, which is often mounted specially provided for plastic locks. to do this, press the edge of the cover and at the same time push the latch into the housing.
Warning! If the grass trimmer is equipped with a semi-automatic head with a button at the bottom, then open it with extreme caution. when you remove the cover may fly out and lose the clamping spring.
Charging the line into the bobbin
To charge the line for the trimmer correctly, you need to act according to the instruction manual supplied with the trimmer. As a rule, this operation is carried out as follows:
Cut the required amount of cord and fold it in half;
At this point, charging the mowing head with cord can be considered complete. Screw the spool onto the shaft of the grass trimmer, fixing it in place beforehand. How to do this is described above. Check the functionality of the head can be checked by mowing a small area of the lawn.
Advice! In cases where the owner of the grass trimmer prefers to replace the failed head with a new one, experts recommend avoiding the purchase of cheap non-original coils, brought from China.
Necessary materials and tools
An indestructible attachment for the grass trimmer can be purchased on Aliexpress. But you can not overpay and make the same, or even better part, with your own hands. This homemade spool on the lawnmower is suitable not only for the line, but also for the cable. It is very convenient and profitable, since the line for the trimmer hard to cope with the thick stems of plants and faster consumed.
At the heart of the home-made device is a mechanism from the tape drive bobbin tape recorder. Many people have old tape recorders at home, so you shouldn’t have any trouble finding a spare part. You will also need a car rack guard to act as a cover, a metal washer, and a hex nut with a left-hand thread.
The following tools and materials will be needed for the job:
In addition, you will need a ruler, wire cutters, a wrench and some other tools.
How to make with your own hands
After all the materials and tools have been prepared, you can proceed directly to the process of creating an unbreakable coil:
- Drill a hole in the middle of the maggot mechanism at 11.5.
- Eliminate unnecessary casts, interfering with the normal connection of parts. This can be done with a chisel or a drilling machine. Metal parts can be removed faster with a wood chisel, but you have to be careful not to injure yourself.
That’s all, the only thing left is to test the home-made device on the grass. Such a design is very efficient and reliable. It is much more durable and long-lasting than the factory-made plastic coil. Therefore, if you often use a lawnmower and want it to last as long as possible, allocate only 15-20 minutes of time, find the necessary elements and make such an unbreakable spool.