The STIHL 180 fails to start on hot: causes and solutions
Faulty spark plug: troubleshooting methods
- Sometimes in the course of checking it is possible to find out that the problem lies in a faulty spark plug. It is then removed, then allowed to dry. Some owners may try to ignite it, but this should not be done, because otherwise the element will be ruined and after that it will only be thrown away. During troubleshooting, you have to remove the excess fuel by draining it through a hole in the fuel filler flange.
- It is also necessary to keep in mind that the drying time should be at least half an hour. After completing such an operation, you can put it back in place and then test it.
- In some cases, the spark plug may be exhausted because it has reached the end of its service life. Usually, when this is confirmed, the only way to solve this problem is to find a replacement. In this case, it does not hurt to have a spare spark plug, and even better, when you have at hand a whole set of such elements. If this is the case, you can always replace the spark plug with a new one and see if the malfunctioning spark plug is the cause.
- At the same time, the inability to start the chainsaw can be caused by a weak contact provided by the high-voltage wire and the end of the spark plug. The problem with starting the chainsaw may be due to the failure of the ignition unit. In such situations, the only solution to the problem is to replace the faulty block, since it is not repairable.
- A relevant issue for many owners is the proper idle speed after emptying the fuel from the gasoline tanks. According to experts, you should not worry about this particularly. However, if you are faced with such a problem often, it is enough to make manipulations with the carburetor, reducing engine revolutions, to restore normal operation of the tool.
- In some cases, the owner may need to have the muffler cleaned because this part may be the cause of the malfunction. It’s easy enough to perform. It should be remembered that many owners face problematic operation of the chainsaw due to a faulty carburetor.
- Although in some cases it may be relatively easy to fix the problem, it is best to have the machine repaired by professionals. Not all of us have the necessary knowledge and skills, and it is fraught with the fact that during independent troubleshooting there is a risk of completely disabling the tool.
STIHL chain saw cuts out at high rpm
Chainsaw stalls at idle speed: this is probably the problem faced by the owners of this tool. By its own construction the saw is quite a light tool. But there are cases when it breaks down. The main problem in troubleshooting is determining the right cause of the malfunction. After determining the cause, it is usually relatively easy to remedy the defect.
Probable causes of failure
The engine in all chainsaws is a single-cylinder internal combustion engine. For devices of this type are characterized by such malfunctions as a violation of intra-cylinder compression, changes in the ratio of the fuel mixture, improper ignition operation, poor-quality fuel and lubricants. The main problems in the operation of the power unit are the following:
- The engine runs steadily at minimum rpm, but stalls when the rpm is increased;
- Starting is normal, but the idle rpm is unstable, quickly throttles;
- No starter.
Schematic of electronic ignition of a chainsaw.
Idling abnormal operation may be caused by various reasons. These can be divided into several items:
STIHL 180 chain saw starts and stops Cause.
- The capacity of the filters (gasoline and air) is reduced;
- Ignition system malfunction:
- Spontaneous carburetor settings have changed;
- Faulty elements of the gasoline line;
- Exhaust ducts clogged, muffler;
- Piston, cylinder, valve defects.
Repair should begin with an external inspection and a check of the fuel in the tank.
Check and repair of filters
The engine may malfunction or choke on insufficient fuel or air. Reason: air or fuel filter is clogged. To check the fuel filter, remove the gas line hose from the carburetor fitting and direct it into some container. Then press the fuel pump several times. If the fuel is pumping normally, in clearly defined doses, without dirt, then the fuel filter is serviceable. If fuel flows poorly or does not flow at all then the filter should be replaced or if possible cleaned.
READ What Kind of Chain Oil for a Chainsaw
Sawdust clogging in the fuel filter is one of the causes of chainsaw failure.
The unit should be removed from the fuel tank (first drain all fuel from the tank). On most models, the fuel filter can be pulled out with a wire hook through the neck. If the filter is collapsible and can be cleaned, you need to disassemble and flush it according to the manufacturer’s recommendations. In other cases, replace the filter with a new one.
STIHL STIHL 180 chain saw shuts off at idle speed.
Similar problems can occur if the air filter is clogged with dust, sawdust or dirt. If there is not enough air, the fuel mixture will be enriched and the combustion process will be hindered.
To check it, remove the filter. When working, you need to take precautions to prevent dust from getting into the carburetor. Clean and flush out your machine with warm water and detergent. After drying, if possible blow it off with compressed air at low pressure and put it back. If the chainsaw keeps working correctly, then the problem is solved.
If the tool is used continuously, it is recommended that the fuel and air system filters be changed after 3 months.
STIHL MS 180 repair / carburetor disassembly and assembly / cuts out at idle speed
STIHL MS 1800 chain saw. The correct method of solving the problem if the chain saw stalls and.
Checking spark plugs and ignition system
The spark plug should be replaced annually according to the manufacturer’s recommendations regardless of how often you use the machine. Failure to follow these tips leads to a completely natural result: malfunctions on the idle speed
Typical ignition system defects are as follows:
STIHL 180 chain saw cuts out at idle speed.
- The spark plug is flooded with fuel at startup. Remove the spark plug from its housing, allow it to dry and, if possible, blow it out with compressed air. Drain any fuel residue from the cylinder through the adjustment hole, blow it out with compressed air. Then install the spark plug, reconnect the high-voltage cable and start the engine.
- No spark on the spark plug electrodes. Disconnect the high-voltage wire and check if the spark is present. If the spark is normal, check the spark plug connection and remedy any faults. Lack of spark on the high-voltage wire indicates a faulty ignition unit. This unit is beyond repair and must be replaced with a new one.
- The gap between the electrodes of the spark plug is abnormal. This parameter for different types of devices may be in the range of 0.2 to 0.5 mm. Checking and adjustment should be performed with a special dipstick or a caliper. Consult the tool operator’s manual for the required value.
- By the appearance of the spark plug you can determine the direction of the search. If the spark plug is dry after several attempts to start the engine, it means that there is no petrol in the cylinder. The fuel system and carburettor must be checked.
- The presence of black soot or carbon deposits on the electrodes indicates improper carburetor adjustment or clogging of the air filter. Probably a low-quality fuel with a lot of oil is used. When the ignition system is operating normally, the electrodes are uniformly gray with brown deposits on the insulators.
READ What Oil to Add to Gasoline for a Gas Saw
STIHL chain saw cuts out at idle speed.
If checking the ignition system, fuel filters, muffler did not give tangible results, the tool still does not want to work properly at minimum rpm, you need to check the carburetor.
There are three screws on the body of the device to adjust the operating modes, designed to set the minimum rotation speed, maximum rpm and idle speed.
On many models, manufacturers install only the idle speed adjustment screw to avoid incompetent attempts to adjust the unit. Always follow the machine manufacturer’s recommendations for adjustments on all models.
If adjusting the controls does not restore normal operation, the machine should be disassembled and inspected. It should be understood that the carburetor is quite a complex device, in the absence of experience, it is advisable to contact the experts.
When disassembling, it is important to carefully inspect and wash all nozzles, air and fuel passages, and the filter screen. Damaged parts must be replaced with new ones. Jets should be cleaned with a soft wire of appropriate diameter.
It’s a good idea to do the work under the right conditions. The carburetor contains many small parts, and the loss of any of them will make the unit inoperable.
READ Chain sharpening angle of the Druzhba chainsaw
Check and Repair Muffler
Leave a clogged muffler to soak in warm water and detergent and then carefully wipe it dry.
Malfunction of the muffler causes loss of power to the tool during work and idle stops. Despite the apparent simplicity of this part, it is also important to keep an eye on it. Quite often the muffler turns out to be clogged. When operating, wood dust, sawdust, and tar particles could get on the grill. High temperature contributes to their adhesion and accumulation, the exhaust gases also form deposits on the surfaces of the spark arrester and other parts. A layer that builds up over time reduces the capacity of the muffler and impedes the normal removal of exhaust gases. The engine is, figuratively speaking, asphyxiated.
Repair of this unit is not complicated and is within the power of many tool owners. The unit should be removed from the engine and the openings covered with a rag or other material. If the layer formed is too hard, all parts can be left to soak in warm water and detergent. After softening the plaque, the parts should be washed with a rag or soft brush, wiped thoroughly. Inaccessible areas can be blown out with compressed air or dried with a hair dryer. The use of mechanical means of removal is not desirable.
To keep the silencer in service for a long time, it is necessary to use lubricants that are recommended by the manufacturer and check their expiration date. The mixture should be prepared just before work and consumed completely.
Chainsaws, like most power tools, need service and care in the right time.
Checking the chainsaw’s main systems
If your chainsaw refuses to operate normally you should make sure you have all the prerequisites for its proper functioning:
Then you should check all its components one after the other for proper functioning. First you need to perform a check of the fuel tank. If the cause is not the volume or the quality of fuel, then the probable cause of malfunction may be the spark plugs. The spark plug gap should not be more than 0.5 millimeters. If it is too small, it means that the spark plugs have a layer of soot on them. In that case you should take the plugs off, clean them, then put them back on and try to start the chainsaw. In addition, it is advisable to replace the spark plugs completely with new ones from time to time, even if they are in good condition.
Then check the condition of the fuel filter and carburetor. Self-cleaning the fuel filter is an uncomplicated task, but it is better to entrust the repair of the carburetor to specialists.
The cause of a chainsaw stopping in the midst of work can be:
Remoteness from service stations and the high cost of the repair services provided, forcing owners of failed tools to restore their functionality on their own.
This option is possible only after the expiration of the warranty period. The difficulty lies in the fact that noticed by service technicians traces of dismantling individual units and assemblies may be the fault of refusal of free repair of more complex and expensive parts.
Why the chainsaw will not start. causes and methods of elimination. How the mechanism is built
Almost all tools, both foreign (Husqvarna, Makita, STIHL, Partner 350) and Chinese chain saws, and domestic (Druzhba, Ural) are designed the same way. Therefore, it is not very difficult to find the reason why the machine does not start and stops.
There are four elements where problems can occur:
- Fuel, for which the carburetor is responsible ;
- The air, which comes through the air filter;
- The spark, the quality of which depends on the ignition unit.
All of them depend on each other and interact with each other. If any part is not working properly, the saw stops working.
To begin with, all tools start differently, hot and cold. Two often-used mechanisms are responsible for this process.
Always check what is written in the owner’s manual. It says to make sure the emergency stop brake is engaged when you turn it on. But it’s much harder to start a saw with a brake, so sometimes it’s better not to engage the brake.
As you can learn from the manual, inside the housing there is the fuel tank and the engine, and outside. the saw part (bar with chain), the handle and the starter.
First you need to figure out exactly how the tool does not start. For example, the saw starts, but stops right away, or loses power, cut quality.
Perhaps the malfunctions are due to problems in the engine. But I would not recommend that you disassemble it right away. It is better to look for the problem from the simplest variant.
It is very important to consider the quality of the fuel. If it is not mixed correctly or has gone bad over time, even such reliable tools as Ural or Husqvarna 145 will not work. The manual is sure to indicate the proportions and special oil specifically for your chainsaw.
Another common problem is when the user fills the spark plug during the start. It should be inspected, if it is completely dry, it means that the fuel is not passing into the cylinder.
If you see black carbon deposits or a lot of fuel, the carburetor may not be adjusting the fuel flow properly.
If your power tool starts but immediately stops, look for the problem in the carburetor jets or fuel filter. They may be clogged.
To check for damaged breather plugs, disconnect the fuel hose from the carburetor and check for leaking fuel mixture.
If saw does not start when hot, the problem might be in the muffler. Sometimes it gets clogged from the exhaust itself.
Low quantity of chain lubrication is quite common cause of chain breakage. This can occur if the passages are clogged or the oil line is leaking.
Also inspect the tube connections to the oil pump fittings to see if they are leaking.
Very bad if the failure is in the cylinder. If you examine it, you may find bumps or chipping that could be the cause of the problem.
Here it is primarily the cylinder, piston, rings, and crankshaft bearings that are worn. Failure of these components eventually causes compression (pressure) in the cylinder to drop. You can check the condition of the cylinder head when you remove the muffler. If you remove the part you will see a window through which you can see part of the cylinder. If you can see scoring or scratches on it, it will have to be replaced.
Repair parts are available in specialty stores or on the Internet
Next you need to check the compression. If you do not have a special tool, unscrew the plug, plug the hole with your finger and pull the starter cord. With good pressure, the finger will be sucked in. If there is a compressometer, but it must be inserted into the spark plug hole. Also turn the crankshaft by means of the starter motor and check the reading on the oil sight glass. The normal value is 8-9 kgf/cc. cm (which corresponds to 0.8-0.9 MPa). The reason for low compression is not necessarily a worn cylinder or piston: sometimes it is enough to change the rings.
Starting a Stihl Chainsaw the correct way. NEVER flood it Again!
STIHL 180 Series chain saw carburetor malfunctions. Why a STIHL 180 carburetor overflows and some typical problems
After we considered the carburetor device to determine the reason why the fuel gets into the combustion chamber in a larger volume is not difficult. It occurs due to wear of the gasket between the compensator cap and the carburetor body. You may ask how it can affect?
The answer is simple, shrinking, the gasket releases located on top of the diaphragm down a fraction of millimeters. It, in turn, presses harder on the yoke of the needle valve. it will open more than it should and the fuel will come in too much (it starts to overflow).
Another reason is the stretching of the diaphragm itself, it occurs as a result of natural wear and tear. It is impossible to prevent this process, but you can solve the problem by periodically changing all the gaskets, carburetor diaphragms and the fuel pump. There is a repair kit for this.
STIHL 250 Starts And Stops Reasons Why a chainsaw starts and stops A chainsaw has long been an essential item for anyone with a garden or a home. However, just as well as no matter what other equipment, this tool tends to fail, despite the uncomplicated device. The systematization of the main defects of the content of the STIHL chain saw does not start badly Reasons What to do if the chain saw does not start Good day, dear readers and subscribers of my blog! At one inopportune moment You can easily find that your chainsaw does not start. But don’t rush off to get it repaired, you can fix it yourself. I’ll show you what to do when the engine doesn’t start Electric STIHL Electric Chainsaw Videos Electric Saws MSE 170 CQ, MSE 190 CQ, MSE 190 C-BQ, MSE 210 C-BQ, MSE 230 C-BQ, MSE 250 C-QPromo-msk.The MSE 170 CQ, MSE 190 CQ, MSE 190 C-BQ, MSE 210 C-BQ, MSE 230 C-BQ, MSE 250 electric saws Overview. The STIHL MSE 141C electric chainsaw Overview.AND WHY ARE SO FEW Комментарии и мнения владельцев DEDICATED TO MY OCCASIONAL RESERVATION ABOUT THE 40 LENGTH TIRE
Checking the fuel system
First you need to check the condition of the fuel filter. To remove it, you need to unscrew the fuel tank cap. Then a bent aluminium wire is helpful. It is used to take out the fuel hose, on the end of which there is a filter.
STIHL STIHL 180 chain saw
You can check the filter by blowing on it. If no air is getting through, it means the filter needs to be cleaned or replaced. If it is not blocked, look for a blockage in the fuel hose by disconnecting it from the carburetor. You can remove the blockage mechanically or change the hose.
If the fuel hose and filter are clean but the fuel does not come to the spark plug, it could be due to a faulty air pulse to the fuel pump.
Start according to instructions
Different chainsaw models have different starting characteristics and mechanisms. We will consider the algorithm of starting the device on the example of the popular model of STIHL M chain saw. S. 180.
Before you begin the starting process it should be noted that in the instructions for some models of chainsaws it is written that before starting the tool, the emergency stop brake should be engaged for additional safety. But it is harder to start if the brake is fixed. Accordingly, it would be better to unlock it.
If you do it right, it won’t be a problem. If you’re worried that the chainsaw won’t lock when starting, it’s better not to take any chances and don’t start it at all. STIHL recommissioning procedure is as follows
- Before you start the machine the choke control lever should be in the down position. Remember that it only moves downward on the saw when the throttle button is depressed. Press the throttle button and move the lever down. That way you close the carburetor choke and lock the throttle in the depressed position;
- Next, jerk the starter handle vigorously until you hear the characteristic sound of trying to start the tool. It should immediately stall. Then the throttle positioning lever is moved up a notch;
- In this position, pull the starter lever again until the saw starts. And if it starts, then because the throttle knob is fixed pressed, the work will be at high revolutions;
- Then press and release the throttle button once so that the choke control lever automatically takes the working position and the revolutions are reduced;
- If you want to start the machine after it has warmed up, you must move the lever to the operating position and then start it;
- To stop the engine of the machine, the choke lever must be brought to the up position.