Choosing a brand of gasoline for trimmers
It is necessary to select the brand of gasoline for mowers taking into account the manufacturer’s recommendations. If you do not follow them, then the motor will soon break down. Often RON 92 or 95 unleaded fuel is used to fill the grass trimmer tank.
Gasoline for fuel mixture
Filling the grass trimmer with AI-80 gasoline can lead to device breakdowns due to its low technical characteristics. Please note that after purchase, fuel can be stored for no more than 60 days, but it is better to reduce this period.
Polyethylene cans are not used for storage, since static electricity will be generated in contact with the inner walls. An accidental spark will cause an explosion. Although, there are special plastic canisters marked “flame”.
how to gas and oil weed wacker
Gasoline for four-stroke engine
Devices with a four-stroke motor are more complex. Oil and gasoline are poured into different containers, from where they are then fed to the engine. For a mower with such a motor, you need AI-92 and AI-95 gasoline. It is better not to use fuel with a lower octane number, because this will lead to unstable engine operation. In addition, do not use a lubricant designed for two-stroke models.
Gasoline for grass trimmer
Gasoline grass trimmers are ideal for site maintenance thanks to their portability. These models of lawn mowers require periodic fuel changes. The choice of gasoline must be approached competently. It is not worth saving much on the purchase.
Fuel mixture for two-stroke engines
Grass trimmers, which are equipped with a two-stroke motor, do not have a separate system for supplying oil to lubricate the rubbing parts. For this reason, such devices should be refueled not with pure gasoline, but with a mixture of fuel and engine oil. The latter should be specially designed for two-stroke engines. Application of automotive engine fluid will lead to premature engine failure.
Preparation of a fuel mixture for two-wheel engines
You need to refuel a lawnmower with a two-stroke engine with AI-92 gasoline. When using AI-95, overheating of the engine and uneven operation of the unit can be observed. You need to mix gasoline with oil in a ratio of 50: 1, where 50 is fuel, and 1 is oil. It turns out that 1 liter of fuel will require 20 ml of oil.
If the motor is worn out or the tool is under heavy load, then the ratio is 25: 1. If there is little lubrication, then scuffs will appear on the cylinder walls and the piston surface. Then the piston ring will undergo destruction, causing the engine to jam. An overabundance is not so critical, but it can lead to the formation of carbon deposits. At the same time, the piston ring will coke, which will reduce the power of the device.
Ratios of oil and gasoline for the fuel mixture
String Trimmer Basics: String Trimmer Fueling and Starting
How to refuel the grass trimmer
A ready-made mixture of gasoline and oil can be stored for no more than 3 months (pure gasoline is stored less). Dilute enough fuel for several uses of the grass trimmer. In general, prepare:
- gasoline and oil that is suitable for air-cooled two-stroke engines;
- metal canister and mixing container;
Adding oil to gasoline
- Pour 1 liter of gasoline into a container of suitable volume and add 1/2 of the required amount of oil.
- Stir gently while keeping a good distance from open flames.
- Add the remaining half of the oil to the fuel and stir again.
Grass trimmer filling process
General tips for refueling the grass trimmer with a 2- or 4-stroke engine:
- Place the fuel tank so that the lid is on top, then fill in the required amount of fuel.
- Do not overfill the fuel tank. This will lead to one of the problems: overflow into the intake manifold and fuel filter, fuel ignition or engine breakdown.
- Try to pour the mixture so that it does not spill. To do this, you can use a watering can.
- If you do spill fuel, wipe it up immediately. Dispose of the cleaning material, do not accumulate indoors. it is fire hazard.
- The start-up of the device should be started after the fuel canister has been removed at a distance of more than 10 m.
- If there was a long break between the use of the mower, be sure to drain the remaining old fuel.
We deal with the choice of gasoline for a lawn mower AI-92 or AI-95
How many people, so many opinions, which applies not only to the choice of oil for the grass trimmer, but also gasoline. Similarly, in order not to make a mistake with the choice, it is recommended to use gasoline of the brand recommended by the manufacturer (indicated in the manual for the tool). However, everything is not so simple here, since at each gas station, the brands of gasoline are only called the same, but they have a completely different composition. You need to figure it out and come to a common conclusion about which brand is better to pour gasoline into a two-stroke engine for your grass trimmer.
Manufacturers recommend using A-92 gasoline for their equipment, and some models require the use of A-95 grades, which do not contain ethyl alcohol. It is not recommended to use AI-90 and lower gasoline, as they will cause rapid wear of engine parts. When buying gasoline of one brand, you cannot be 100% sure that it corresponds to reality. The result is the following picture:
- The manufacturer recommends adding fuel to the AI-92 grass trimmer
- The summer resident uses only gasoline of this brand, but buys it at gas stations, where the price is lower or where necessary
- This negatively affects the internal details of the engine, since at one gas station it is really high-quality AI-92 gasoline, and at the second. at best, if it is AI-80, not AI-76
As a result, the motor suffers, and after a couple of years of operation of the new grass trimmer, it becomes necessary to overhaul it. In order not to have to analyze the quality of fuel or buy only expensive gasoline, it is recommended to refuel at only one filling station. At filling stations, gasoline is poured only into metal cans, not plastic.
There are manufacturers producing special purified fuel for two-stroke engines. If this option is chosen, then you do not need to choose the best gas station, the brand of gasoline and control its shelf life.
How to dilute gasoline with grass trimmer oil instructions with description
To cut grass in the country or in the field, you will need gasoline grass trimmers. They run on gasoline, unlike their electric counterparts. How petrol with oil for trimmers, petrol and brushcutters are diluted, not many masters know. Step-by-step instructions for preparing a fuel mixture in a grass trimmer will be useful not only for beginners, but also for specialists who may be refueling chainsaws incorrectly.
Learn to dilute gasoline with grass trimmer oil if you overfill or overfill
If you bought a grass trimmer, lawn mower, brushcutter, chainsaw and other types of equipment, then you probably know that they use two-stroke motors as power units. These engines do not run on pure gasoline, like four-stroke engines, but on a mixture of gasoline and oil. In what proportion should gasoline be diluted with grass trimmer oil. every summer resident asks himself this question before preparing the tool for work. We will understand this issue in detail, since diluting gasoline with grass trimmer oil affects the life of the tool, and improper preparation of the mixture will lead to rapid engine wear. What is the danger of excess or insufficient amount of oil in gasoline for a grass trimmer:
- If gasoline is diluted with a large amount of oil (above the norm), then this will lead not only to the appearance of a large amount of smoke, but also to the formation of carbon deposits on the cylinder walls and a drop in power. This carbon deposit will cause piston wear, which will be diagnosed by a decrease in its performance.
- If the gasoline does not contain enough oil in the grass trimmer, this is even more dangerous. After all, the working mechanisms of the engine will not be lubricated in sufficient quantities, which will eventually lead to their rapid wear (there is a rapid destruction of the piston rings and the engine jamming). With an insufficient amount of oil in the gasoline, poured into the grass trimmer, engine wear will occur ten times faster.
In order not to have to pay for mistakes with the cost of overhauling the engine or buying a new tool, it is necessary to fill the fuel of the correct consistency into the tank from the first day. You can find out the ratio in the instructions for the tool, since models from different manufacturers may give different recommendations. Usually this ratio is the following norms:
How to find oil gas mix ratio for string trimmer and how to mix fuel
- 1 in 25 or for 1 liter of gasoline 40 grams of two-stroke oil
- 1 to 40 or 1 liter of gasoline 25-30 grams of lubricant
- 1 in 50. this is 20 grams of oil per liter of gasoline
The standard value is considered to be 1 to 50 (indicated on cans of oil for two-stroke engines), but it is necessary to rely on it in the most extreme case, since the manufacturers indicate the recommended proportion value, and if it is not observed, then the service life of the two-stroke motor is reduced.
In addition to keeping the proportion, you also need to learn how to prepare the mixture. After all, the option of adding oil to the gas tank is categorically contraindicated, although some do so. If you bought a grass trimmer or lawn mower, you will need consumables that you will use to prepare the mixture. The instructions for preparing the fuel mixture in the grass trimmer are as follows:
- Prepare gasoline and two-stroke oil based on the above recommendations for the selection of lubricant and fuel
- Additionally, to prepare the mixture, you need to take a container or container. Usually, a plastic bottle is used for this, to the selection of which an appropriate approach is needed. It must be clean inside. It is not recommended to use a container for milk, beer and other drinks. The best option is a container for mineral water.
- It is very important that the container has an integer volume value, that is, 1 or 2 liters, so that you do not have to calculate how much oil to pour into a 1.5 liter, 1.3 or 1.25 liter bottle, because you can easily make a mistake.
- You will also need a syringe, which is used as a measuring device for dispensing oil. For such purposes, a conventional medical syringe for 10 or more cubes is suitable. It is desirable that the syringe has an accurate measuring scale
- After preparing the necessary materials, you can start cooking
Instructions for preparing the fuel mixture in the lawn mower:
- First you need to fill the plastic container. The container is not full 2 fingers to fit the oil
- The required amount of two-stroke oil is drawn into a syringe, and poured into a bottle with collected gasoline. You need to do it this way, and not vice versa.
- After adding a lubricant to the bottle, it requires you to close it tightly with a lid and stir. However, keep in mind that oils labeled “pre mix” need stirring. If the container with oil has the designation “self mix”, then you do not need to shake the container, and after combining the substances, you can pour them into the tool tank
After preparing the fuel mixture for the grass trimmer, it remains to fill the tool and start working. How to properly refuel grass trimmers, lawn mowers, chainsaws and other types of motor vehicles, we will consider in detail.
How to properly fill the finished fuel into a two-stroke engine
Many people do not follow some important guidelines for filling the gas tank of a grass trimmer or lawn mower, which ultimately leads to unpleasant consequences. Consider important recommendations on how to properly fill the brushcutter’s gas tank with diluted fuel from gasoline and oil:
- Prepare a funnel or watering can. Despite the large diameter of the hole in the gas tank, very often when trying to get into it, some part of the fuel is spilled, which gets on the body of the tool. Fuel trapped on the tool can cause a fire when heated, so it is very important to use a funnel or watering can.
- Before unscrewing the plug, thoroughly clean the surface of the tank, as dirt can get inside, which will cause a quick clogging of the gas filter
- Fuel filling operations must be carried out in calm weather or in a secluded place to exclude the possibility of dust and small grains of sand getting inside the tank.
- Do not leave the tank hatch open for a long time, as not only small grains of sand and dust, but also insects can get into it
- Do not inhale gasoline vapors while filling, as they are dangerous to humans. When working with a trimmer, the master must use protective glasses, earmuffs and a respirator
- It is necessary to pour fuel into the tank up to the mark. If you fill the tank full, then when screwing the plug, some of it will pour out. wasteful use of fuel. In this case, it is better to underfill than overfill.
Given these recommendations, you can significantly extend the life of the gasoline tool in question.
How to Choose Grass Trimmer Oil or Lubricants
grass trimmers and lawn mowers are powered by two-stroke engines, which are simplified in design. Rarely, there are trimmer models with 4-stroke engines that run on pure gasoline. Two-stroke power units do not have a compartment for filling engine oil (oil sump), thereby reducing the weight of the tool and reducing their cost. If the rotating parts of the motor are not lubricated, they will eventually fail quickly. To prevent this, the grass trimmer is not filled with pure gasoline, but with a mixture of oil. What oil to dilute with gasoline for a grass trimmer?
To begin with, let’s remember or find out what types of oils are produced in terms of chemical composition:
- Mineral liquids. designed for low power equipment with air cooling. It is the cheapest type of engine lubricant.
- Semi-synthetic substances. they are used for equipment that has air and water cooling
- Synthetic. suitable for all types of motors with different types of cooling. They do not require frequent replacement, and this type of lubricant is several times more expensive than mineral and semi-synthetic
From the above, it follows that oil with any composition is suitable for a grass trimmer. mineral water, synthetics and semi-synthetics. Oils with different chemical composition differ in price, therefore, when buying, it is necessary to rely on the recommendations of the tool manufacturer. The instructions indicate advisory information on which types of oils are best to use. If this is the TC-W3 standard, then it is not so important what composition the substance should have. In this case, mineral water, semi-synthetics and synthetics can be diluted with gasoline.
Choosing a lawn mower oil useful tips from professionals
If the instructions for the tool have been lost, and there are difficulties with choosing the right oil, then it is recommended to stop your choice on the following two options:
- Semi-synthetic. they are cheaper than synthetics, but more expensive than mineral water. Suitable for equipment, both Russian and foreign. They have low smoke parameters, and adequately “take care” of the structural elements of the motor. Manufactured by ferrying petroleum products and hydrocarbons
- Synthetic. expensive types of lubricants that are suitable for all types of equipment. If you use synthetics for your grass trimmer, the engine of the tool will run like a clock.
When choosing and buying oils for dilution with gasoline, you may come across the fact that some letter designations are indicated on the cans. These designations are an API classification, which will be useful to find out who wants to fill the tool with a lubricant that is suitable for the parameters. Let’s consider all types of oils according to API classification for two-stroke engines:
- TA. intended for air-cooled units with a volume of up to 50 cm3. These include mopeds, lawn mowers, grass trimmers and brushcutters. Optimal solution for lawn mowers and grass trimmers
- TB. used for refueling engines of units such as mopeds, chainsaws, scooters and motorcycles. The engine displacement of such equipment ranges from 50 to 200 cm3. This type of oil is also suitable for trimmers
- TC. intended for dilution with gasoline and filling in motorcycles, snowmobiles and other types of land equipment
- TD. serves for refueling outboard motors, hydro scooters and boats
API classification is an American standard that is used in Europe. However, when choosing, there are additional designations on oil cans for two-stroke engines, for example, FA, FB, FC, FD and others. This is the smoke emission classification of oils developed by the Japanese JASO standard. If such designations are found on the selected oils for trimmers and chainsaws, then their decoding must be taken into account:
- FA. used in countries where the legislation provides for the minimum emission of smoke into the atmosphere. Emits an imperceptible fog of smoke during operation
- FB. Designed for use in countries where there are strict restrictions on the emission of smoke into the atmosphere. Virtually no white smoke
- FC. smoke emitted into the atmosphere is transparent and invisible to humans
- FD. smokeless types of oils for 2-stroke internal combustion engines, which do not emit smoke, but still have improved chemical properties. They are usually used for mixing with gasoline and refueling boats, boats and yachts.
If the designation “self mix” and “pre mix” is present on the container with the lubricant, then they mean self-mixing with gasoline (the first option, which does not require shaking), and the need for forced dissolution (the second option).
Knowing the classification of oils by their types, it will not be difficult to choose the best option for your brand of lawn mower. On the market you can find a variety of brands of oils for two-stroke engines, but it is better to pay special attention to such companies:
- STIHL. they produce mineral and synthetic, and semi-synthetic of this brand are rare
- Shell Helix Ultra. Recommended by Specialists
- Lukoil is a Russian oil that costs 3 times cheaper than foreign analogues, but at the same time has excellent quality indicators
Product are not indicated as vary. There are many other brands, and if you still want to find the perfect grass trimmer lubricant for yourself, then watch the test in the video below.
From the video, we can conclude that it is not always useful to buy expensive oils, since they may turn out to be of unsatisfactory quality, which can be seen in a real example.
Storage Tips for Grass Trimmer Ready Fuel Mix
After refilling the grass trimmer, many will save the remaining mixture in the bottle until next time. Sometimes this next time does not come soon, and stretches out until the next year. It is impossible to store the finished mixture for so long, as the oil decomposes. After preparing the mixture, it must be consumed within 1-2 weeks. In addition, it is also impossible to store the tool for a long time with the fuel mixture poured into the tank, since the effect will be the same. To prevent unforeseen circumstances, it is recommended to take into account the following recommendations for storing a ready-made gasoline-oil mixture:
- Prepare the fuel mixture in the amount that will be used. If you do not know how much fuel you use, then it is better to cook less.
- If there is fuel mixture in the grass trimmer tank (when the tool is hidden until the next season), then it must be completely used up or drained
- Before adding the prepared mixture to the tank, stir it thoroughly
- Store the prepared mixture in a tightly curled container, as well as in a place limited to exposure to sunlight
Subject to all recommendations, the service life of the grass trimmer will be no less than indicated in the instructions. The use of high-quality consumables in pairs, observing the recommendations for preparing the mixture in the grass trimmer, will entail a long and effective service of the gasoline tool.
Gasoline to Oil Ratio for Lawn Mower
lawn mowers are a fairly common technique for combating weeds in summer cottages, in household, road and housing and communal services. These devices have two more names. grass trimmer and lawn mower. These units differ in their engines. The more expensive ones have four-stroke engines, all the others have two-stroke engines. Of course, the latter are the most popular among the population, since they are simpler in design, lighter in weight, and much cheaper than their four-stroke competitors. However, two-stroke models are inconvenient in that the fuel mixture for them must be prepared by hand, maintaining a strict dosage between gasoline and oil. In four-stroke analogs, the mixing of these components occurs automatically, you only need to fill the gas tank and oil tank with the corresponding substances. Let’s consider the question of the correct refueling of two-stroke brushcutters, since it depends on how effective and long the operation of such a unit will be.
Consequences of violation of the ratio
The service life of the motor scooter engine depends on how accurately you follow the manufacturer’s recommended oil-gasoline ratio. The fact is that the fuel mixture enters the cylinders in the form of gasoline-oil mist. And the task of the oil composition is to lubricate the moving and rubbing parts and surfaces of various parts in the cylinder. If it suddenly turns out that there is not enough oil, and somewhere it will not be enough at all, the parts that touch dry will begin to damage each other. As a result, scuffs, scratches and chips are formed, which will certainly lead to complete or partial engine failure (for example, it can jam).
In the opposite case, when too much oil enters the engine, it does not have time to completely burn out, settling on the cylinder walls and turning over time into solid particles. coke, slag and the like. As you might guess, this also leads to engine failure. The most important thing is that you must not allow even a single violation of the proportion in the direction of a lack of oil. It is better to pour a little oil 10 times than not to add just 1 time. It often happens that this time is quite enough to break the engine.
And now about how to mix the components correctly. However, it would be more logical to start with an analysis of common, but absolutely unacceptable mistakes that many owners of this mowing unit “sin” with. The following actions are considered as mixing errors.
- Adding oil to the fuel already poured into the brushcutter’s gas tank. In this way, a homogeneous fuel mixture cannot be obtained. Perhaps you will succeed if you only shake the grass trimmer for a long time. But it is unlikely that someone will do this, given the severity of the unit.
- First pour oil into a mixing container, and then add gasoline to it. Gasoline has a lower density than oil, so if it is poured into the oil, it will remain in the upper layer, that is, natural mixing will not occur. Of course, it will be possible to mix later, but it will take much more energy than if it were done the other way around. pour oil into the poured gasoline.
- Ignoring precise measuring instruments for taking the required quantities of ingredients used. In other words, diluting the amount of oil or gasoline “by eye” is a bad habit when operating motor vehicles.
- Take empty drinking water bottles for preparation of the fuel mixture. Such a container is made of too thin polyethylene, which can dissolve with gasoline.
Considering all of the above, we recommend using the following rules when mixing the fuel mixture for two-stroke engines of the grass trimmer.
- Use only clean containers made of metal or special plastic for storage of gasoline, oil, ready-made fuel mixture and its preparation.
- Use a watering can to pour gasoline into a dilution container to avoid spilling, and to add oil. a measuring container with volume risks or a medical syringe for 5 and 10 ml.
- First, pour gasoline into the canister for preparing the fuel mixture, and then oil.
- To dilute the mixture, first pour only half of the planned volume of gasoline into the container.
- Next, add to the gasoline the entire amount of oil required to prepare the mixture.
- Mix the contents of the dilution container thoroughly. It is best to stir by making circular movements with a tightly closed container. Do not stir the fuel inside the canister with any foreign object, since it is not known what material this object is made of, what reaction it can enter into with the ingredients of the mixture, how clean it is.
- Add the rest of the gasoline to the mixed mixture and mix thoroughly again.
- You can fill the mower’s fuel tank with the prepared mixture.
It must be borne in mind that the ready-made fuel mixture should not be stored for more than 14 days, as it loses its properties, stratifies and evaporates, which leads to changes in proportions, and therefore a deterioration in the operation of the grass trimmer.
First of all, it is necessary to take into account the information that the manufacturer recommends, since in case of failure of the brushcutter, you can present your claims to him, and not to a third-party source. If there is no instruction in the passport, and even more so if there is no passport, then we recommend that you look for another model of grass trimmer from a more reliable seller.
For all other cases, when you have a lawn mower model in your hands and there is no way to find out its technical features, there are standard proportions of the most likely fuel mixture components for a two-stroke engine. Basically, these units use AI-92 gasoline and a special synthetic oil, which contains a solvent for better mixing with fuel. Such oil evaporates slowly and has the ability to completely burn out in the cylinder, leaving no carbon deposits.
The standard ratio of synthetic oil to gasoline is 1: 50. This means that 5 liters of gasoline requires 100 ml of oil, and in accordance with this oil consumption per 1 liter of gasoline is 20 ml. Knowing the amount of oil required to dilute 1 liter of fuel, you can easily calculate any rate when preparing fuel for your grass trimmer. When using mineral oils, the ratio of 1: 40 is most often the standard. Therefore, 1 liter of fuel will require 25 ml of such oil, and for a 5-liter canister. 125 ml.
When operating a lawn mower, a person with little experience in operating such equipment will not be difficult to determine and correct the actual amount of oil required for a particular model. You should only pay attention to the exhaust gases (their color, odor toxicity), cycle stability, engine heating and developed power. details about the consequences of incorrect mixing proportions of gasoline and oil can be expected in another section of the article. There are options for brushcutters running on AI-95 gasoline. This should also be considered.
If the manufacturer recommends fuel with such an octane number, then the requirements must be followed so as not to reduce the operating resource of the equipment thereby.
How to choose for a lawn mower?
For two-stroke engines, brushcutters use AI-92 or AI-95 gasoline. Most often. the first of the named. There is always information about this in the technical data sheet of the product. If, for some reason, it is not known exactly on what gasoline the grass trimmer should work, you can pick it up by testing both brands of gasoline in action. Global changes in the engine will not happen from this, and it is quite possible to determine what kind of gasoline this or that model of the unit “loves” more, according to some factors. This will be shown by the developed power, and throttle response, and engine heating, as well as its stable operation at all speeds.
But it is much more difficult to determine the proportions of oil to a certain volume of gasoline. In this case, you need to know at least something about the manufacturer of the equipment. And already according to the standard proportions for this manufacturer, select the proportion for a specific model, taking into account the type of oil.
You can start selection even by country of origin.
For example, for Chinese low-power trimmers, two ratios are mainly used. 1: 25 or 1: 32. The first is for mineral oils, and the second is for synthetic oils. We have already talked about the choice of standard proportions for petrol cutters of European and American manufacturers in connection with the type of oil. According to the class of oils for household trimmers, you need to use TV oil according to the API classification. For more powerful. class TS.
For information on the ratio of gasoline and oil needed for a lawn mower, see the next video.