How else to drill a hole in a tile
Home masters often have a question about how to make a hole in the tile, which is already fixed on the wall. In such cases, the hole in the tile can be created by using a cone drill or a spiral drill.
Processing with an ordinary drill takes place in several steps.
- In the place where you will perform the drilling, stick a paper adhesive tape or plaster, which will not let the drill slip from the smooth surface of the tile and protect it from scratches and other mechanical damage.
- The center of the future hole is marked, using an ordinary marker.
- After that, begin to perform the hole in the tile at low revolutions of the drill bit.
- To keep the drill from overheating, it is necessary to wet it with water from time to time. After the tool has deepened into the material to be treated, you can also cool the tile itself.
If you need to make a large diameter hole in the tile, you can carry out such a process step by step. using tools of different sizes. To get a hole of large diameter in the tile is also possible by another technique, which implies that along its contour will be made a large number of holes of small diameter. Then the inside of the hole is simply hammered out along its contour, and the edges are sanded down.
To mark the place for a box need a decorative frame of the future block of 4 outlets. The frame must be placed against the wall, aligning with the boxes already installed.
For further work to determine the center of the mounting box to be installed.
Drilling a hole for the mounting box
In order to drill a hole under the box will need a drill with an attachment that is called “ballerina”.
The “ballerina” is a device that is designed to drill holes from 1.5 to 7 cm in tiles. The cut is made with a cutter that can be moved on a guide bar.
Drill at low speed, constantly cooling the cutter in water. Drill to the full thickness of the tile.
Next, the tiles must be carefully knocked out, using a thin scarpel, a chisel or a thick screwdriver. After tiling, continue drilling the wall. To drill the wall for the installation box, the “ballerina” must be replaced by a drill bit for drilling the wall. After drilling out the “extra” need to hollow out, using a hammer and scarpel (small crowbar)
Installing the installation box
The installation box must fit completely into the drilled and prepared niche. Fix the box in the niche with diluted alabaster mortar. Alabaster dries quickly and therefore the work can be continued after a few minutes.
Important! Do not forget to lay a jumper from the adjacent box, a piece of cable to connect the socket to an already laid electrical network.
The place for an additional socket in the socket block on the tile is ready. It remains to install the socket block in place.
Other articles in the section Electrical
- Connecting a fluorescent fixture with their own hands
- Installing recessed lighting fixture
- Installing an additional socket on ceramic tile
- Installing RCDs in the apartment. scheme for installing a ground fault interrupter
- How to install a socket in the bathroom. installation of a socket in wet rooms
- Replacing the electrical wiring of the apartment with their own hands. a detailed description of the work
- How to make electrical wiring in the electric box and install a socket on the box
- Preparing drywall walls for tile laying: laying tiles on drywall
- Great ideas for a bedroom in the attic
- Laying ceramic tiles on drywall in the bathroom
- Replacing the electrical wiring of the apartment with their own hands. a detailed description of the work
- How to install a socket in the bathroom. installation of a socket in wet rooms
Peculiarities of work with tiles
To neatly cut a hole in the tile for a rosette, the following rules should be adhered to:
- Marking. On the area of drilling the hole, you need to draw a marking with a marker. to mark the contour on the outside of the tile.
- Tiling. If it is a glossy tile material, you should cover the place of cutting with mounting tape, adhesive tape. This process will prevent the drill bit from slipping when cutting. It is possible to make an outline with a nail, scratching the surface according to the marking.
- Wetting. Professional craftsmen usually use special equipment, wetting the tile with water when cutting. But you can simply put the tiles for an hour in water to reduce dust formation and prevent cracking. The tile should be cut at a low rpm. The diamond disc is used for dry cutting.
- Set a safety distance. It is necessary to drill with at least 15 mm distance from the edge, to avoid splintering.
- Convenience. To make the hole easier to cut, it is necessary to guide the tool away from you from any edge. If you change the direction of processing in the process of drilling, then the cut lines may not come together. Only the front side of the tile must be cut;. Make a round hole or a square hole. If the tiles are already on the wall, you need to drill a hole with a hand drill.
Tips: how to cut a hole in the tile for the faucet without splitting
In ceramic tile to cut a socket for the faucet in certain cases.
The drills themselves should be made of high-strength materials that can pass a dense structure, and be appropriately configured or sharpened
- You can do this only after the coating has dried completely;
- Only with proper preparation;
- You can before installing the tiles on the wall;
- It is desirable to have a minimum knowledge of working with electrical equipment.
If the tiles have not yet been laid, you need to soak it in a basin with warm water. To make a round hole or a square hole will be much easier than when the cloth is on the wall and vertically. Next, the tile is placed on wooden bars, be sure to face up. On the tiles you need to put tape. This prevents the tool from slipping when drilling.
In advance, the place where the hole will be made is marked, and clearly in the fishing line is set the drill. At first, the material is drilled at low speed, and as you insert the drill bit inside, it increases.
If the installation of tiles, for example on the rough, has already been carried out, then it is also necessary to put tape on it, and make marks of where the cut will be carried out. The drill should only be held perpendicular to the surface. The hole, which is formed in the tile must be constantly moistened with water. It is strictly forbidden to drill a hole closer than 1.5 cm to the edge.
How to Cut Tile Around Outlets (Easy Accurate Cuts!)
Important! After the tile drilling is done and you need to make a hole in the wall deeper, it is worth changing the tile drill bit for a drill bit on concrete or brick. It has a thinner thickness, which will avoid splitting the tile. In order not to drill deeper than necessary, it is not uncommon to mark the hole directly on the drill with insulating tape.
Once the work is done, you need to blow the hole and hammer in a dowel of plastic. The other holes in the wall are made in the same way. Only then can you install the faucet or shelves.
It is convenient to use a circular drill to cut the holes in the center of the tile or in other parts, but on condition that the edges of the hole do not overlap the edge of the tile. Diamond tipped crowns are used when it is necessary to cut a hole of considerable diameter in a tile.
- Hold the drill at a 90 degree angle to the drilling surface.
- Do not overheat the drill bit and the drilling site
- Drill at low speeds of the drill, up to 1000 rpm.
- Do not apply pressure to the drill, the effort is fraught with tile fractures.
Using a diamond drill bit
Let’s start with the typical case where you need to drill a hole in the ceramic tile for the pipe outlet for the faucet in the bathroom.
Such things should be taken into account even at the stage of laying, and try to make cutouts for pipes in the center of the tiles. This is done by shifting the layout or changing the starting point of the paving in the right place. If you can not install the faucet exactly in the center, you should try to hide this fact as much as possible, and not to highlight it by installing a number of decors or borders.
It is logical that both holes should be at the same height. Therefore, the first thing to do before you drill the tile. measure the same distance from the floor. To avoid falling vertically, use a plummet with a weight or a bubble/laser level.
Next, measure the necessary horizontal distance between the centers of the points and make two more marks. From the center of each point, measure the radius of the hole to know where the cutting line will go.
When marking the tiles, consider the size of the joint
Switch the drill to drilling mode and set the minimum rpm. Insert the diamond drill bit into the chuck. They come in different versions, such as for concrete, wood or metal. do not mix them up when buying. Also make sure that as much diamond chips as possible are on the workpiece. It is better to get drill bits with a centering drill bit to reduce the risk of shifting.
Start drilling carefully, with a little pressure on the drill, but so that it does not move out of place. When the glaze is cut through, you can increase the speed and the pressure. During drilling, ensure that water is supplied to the working part of the drill bit for cooling. Bosch has bits that have coolant (olive oil) inside, you can work with them dry.
If you use a small-diameter drill bit without a pilot drill bit, use a drill bit and conductor to avoid misalignment. You can make one with your own hands in 1 minute from a scrap of board or plywood. Make a hole of similar diameter in it and use it as a conductor, pressing down with your hand.
The hole in the tile for the socket: How to cut it correctly?
Tile for many years remains the most popular material in the design of walls, aprons, floor coverings, due to its high strength and durability. In the process of laying operations or after repair work, it is often necessary to solve the problem of how to cut a hole in the tile for the socket without causing damage to the material. For this purpose, use a variety of tools and devices available to the home craftsman.
List of tools
Tiled planes at its high density and strength are fragile. If handled carelessly, you can get deformation in the form of cracks and splits, which violates the overall aesthetics of the surface.
Before making a hole in the tile under the outlet, it is important to determine the list of necessary tools. They are selected depending on the planned shape.
- diamond drill bit;
- Drills, oriented to perform operations with tile (as well as concrete);
- Drill. electric (you can use a hand-held tool for small holes).
The main criterion for selecting an electric drill is to equip the tool with a speed regulator.
Features of cutting holes in the tile
Guaranteed to get a smooth and high-quality hole in the tile under the outlet will allow compliance with some important rules in the process:
- To drill to avoid injuries did not slip from the tiled plane, you must first make grooves, which will be carried out directly by drilling, using the core cutter.
- It will help to avoid slipping of the drill bit with masking tape.
- Use when working on the performance of holes in the tile special templates, which fix the nozzle and do not allow it to shift.
- If the work is done on the tiles before laying, it is recommended to soak them in hot water for an hour, which will prevent cracking.
- Drilling should be done at low speed.
- Some home craftsmen prefer to drill ceramics, which is directly in the water.
- Avoid making holes at a distance of less than 15 mm to the sides of the tiles. If you do not observe such indicators, the edge fragment can easily break off.
- Do not apply excessive pressure when drilling.
- If the ceramic tile is already fixed to the wall plane, it is advisable to drill with a hand drill.
- It is very important to make an extremely precise marking beforehand.
- To work with loose tiles requires a flat plane that does not vibrate. Place a piece of wood, a piece of plywood or drywall underneath.
- Since the cutting tool is heated, it must be cooled. You can use machine oil for the drill bit, but it is not used if the work is done on an already laid tile, so as to prevent the appearance of stains that are difficult to remove.
- The drill bit is directed strictly perpendicular to the ceramic plane.
- Always provide protection against small particles. goggles, gloves, closed clothing, respirator.
Manual jigsaw for holes
The easiest tool to solve the problem of how to make a hole in the tile under the outlet, is a hand jigsaw. It must be equipped with a tungsten wire.
The easiest way to cut tiles
Chips are practically eliminated, but considerable physical strength is required.
- Directly on the glossy surface of the tile, use a marker to draw the contour for the future hole.
- Using a drill, drill a through hole exactly on the mowing line.
- Pull the tungsten filament through the prepared start hole.
- Secure it with clamps on the jigsaw.
- Begin sawing, guided by the marked contour, smooth movements, taking care not to violate the marking. The edges of the finished hole are sanded using sandpaper.
According to an identical technique, an electric jigsaw equipped with a diamond saw is used. Such a device, if you have the skills to work with it, does not require physical effort. It is important to constantly monitor the direction of movement, so as not to distort the applied line of the future hole. Easier with an electric or hand-operated jigsaw, oval as well as round holes are sawn out.
If the contours are square, work on each side separately. After completing one line, disconnect the saw, make a hole in the corner for a second mowing line, and fix the tool again. If you try not to observe this sequence at work and perform sharp turns, the saw can be broken.
Using a diamond drill bit
If you want to quickly get a round even hole of the required size on tiles, then use a specialized round nozzle, equipped with diamond chips.
Such a device easily works on hard ceramic. Before you drill a tile for a socket, you need to pick up the crown of the required diameter.
- Apply masking tape to the marked area.
- On a tape marker draw a circle, focusing on the required diameter of the future socket.
- Lay the ceramic material on a flat horizontal plane, placing a board under it.
- The core bit is hammered into the drill.
- Start the drilling process at slow, low rpm, going deeper into the material step by step without jerks.
- In the process of work it is important to constantly cool the cutting plane by giving water.
- When the upper glaze is cut through, the speed is slightly increased.
If you purchase special crowns, equipped with a coolant, then additional water supply measures are not required. Instead of tape, it is convenient to use crowns with the use of conductors, which will not allow the nozzle to shift sideways.
Using a ballerina
A special nozzle, called a ballerina, has a central drill bit and cutters that are positioned parallel to it. In general, the tool works like a compass. With such a device is easy to solve the problem of how to drill a hole in ceramic tile for a socket of various diameters.
It can be used to make holes of different diameters
- At the outlined point with an ordinary drill hole with a diameter of about 3.5-4 mm for the center of the future circle.
- Attach the ballerina to the drill.
- Set the correct diameter with the regulator.
- The central core is inserted exactly into the prepared central hole.
- Start drilling at the lowest rpm of the drill.
- The side cutter gradually scratches the ceramic surface and deepens into it.
- When half of the material has been cut through, the tile must be turned over and work must continue on the reverse side.
Ensure the cutting depth is even along the circumference. If you want to finish the edges of the hole, use pliers, and then grind the roughness.
Using the glass cutter
With the most common glass cutter can also solve the problem of how to cut a hole in the tile for the socket, if the material has a relatively small thickness. In addition, a drill, wire cutters and pliers should be prepared.
This tool requires physical preparation
- On the plane to draw the contour. It is more convenient to make square or rectangular holes with the glass cutter.
- Drill a hole in the center.
- At medium force, the tool several times along the lines, first attaching a metal ruler, which ensures a straight cut.
- Using pliers, starting from the center, remove small fragments to the perimeter of the hole.
- Cut the remaining jagged edges with wire cutters, file and grind.
Using an angle grinder
Having in the home workshop an angle grinder, you can apply the technology prescribing how to make a hole in porcelain tiles for the socket. A diamond disc will be needed.
- Mark the contour of the square hole to be made on the face of the tile.
- Fit the disc.
- When cutting, the tool moves in the direction from yourself.
- First carefully cut through the guide grooves.
- Then gradually the disk is deeper and deeper.
Having finished cutting, inspect the edges of the hole. If necessary, they are grinded.
Drill and pliers
Not every handyman has the necessary tools in his arsenal. If you want to make one or two holes in the tile, you can do with improvised devices, such as pliers and a drill.
A similar technique is more suitable if the ceramic finish is already glued to the wall. If the tiles have not yet been laid, pre-soak it for an hour in hot water.
- Glue the place of the future hole with masking tape.
- The desired contour is drawn on it.
- Free ceramic before the work is necessary to lay on a flat horizontal plane, podlivshaya plywood.
- On the drill fix the drill bit (select a small diameter of about 4 mm).
- Near the contour, focusing on its inner side, drill a sufficient number of small holes. Place them as close as possible to each other.
- Then, using pliers, remove the dividers left between these holes.
- In the resulting hole grind a file notches.
The proposed methods allow you to cut a hole in the tile quickly and safely with your own hands. At the stage of preparation, it is important to pre-test the tools on pieces of defective ceramic material. Follow the instructions in the activity. It is advisable not to apply excessive force and work with tools at low speed, avoiding deformation of the material, especially if the ceramic is already fixed to the wall surface.
Modern tools are not cheap, so if you need to install one or two sockets under the tiles, you can use an inexpensive option. If you are planning a professional activity to repair the premises, will have to invest a decent amount, but over time, the money spent will pay off.
How to drill with different tools
You can drill the tile both before and after the installation on the wall, if small holes for dowels are needed. Several types of electric tools are used for drilling, choosing the attachments most suitable for the size, shape and task of the hole.
Feather. drill bit for ceramic tiles
To perform drilling of small holes for a hook or attachment shelf in the glued tile is best done with a special feather drill. This tool is designed for drilling ceramic and glass. Popularly it is called short. the feather.
The quill consists of a steel base and a sharp-edged plate brazed on top. The plate is made of stronger tool steel. When heated during rapid rotation, the feathery end of the drill can fall off the base, so it is periodically wetted in water or work at low speed.
Important! Some masters advise additional sharpening of the tip, so that the tool does not “skew” on the smooth tile surface. In this case, there is no need to use a core for marking the drilling point on the tile.
When the feather drill bit has drilled through the tile to its full thickness and reaches the base, do not forget to change the drill bit by putting a bit with a pobedite tip on the drill. Feather drill bits for ceramics come in different lengths and diameters. You can buy a drill bit with the right characteristics, or buy a set, so you do not have to look than to drill tiles in the bathroom or kitchen the next time you need something else to hang on the wall.
Drilling tiles with core drills
Drill a large diameter hole for a socket in ceramic tile with a planting flange, core drill and pilot drill.
- During assembly, the pilot drill bit with a hexagonal shank is inserted into the mounting flange and its position is secured by a fixing screw, screwed with a screwdriver.
- Then the diamond drill bit is inserted into the seating flange, turning it slightly until it is firmly fixed.
- The assembled core drill bit is inserted into a chuck of a drill and proceed to the process of drilling a hole in the tile.
- The tile is placed on a wooden board face up and clamped in a vice.
- The center drill bit is put in the point marked on the tile with a core hammer, and the drill bit is turned on.
- To prevent the drill from sliding down the smooth tile surface, the tool is kept at low RPM.
Important! It is necessary to drill a hole from the beginning to the end in one go, without changing the angle of the tool. Only in this way can you get even edges in the cut hole.
In addition to expensive diamond-coated bits, drilling tiles in the bathroom you can use analogues with pobedite teeth or tungsten carbide inserts. These tools cost less, but they are enough for fewer holes. The quality of the cut is not impaired by it.
How to drill tiles with a ballerina
Circular drill, which resembles the principle of the school compass, is also used to obtain holes of different diameters in tile. It is more convenient to use this type of tool at the stage of preparation for laying. It is desirable to hold the tile in the water for half an hour. Then turn it upside down, leaving the glazed surface on the bottom. Insert the ballerina into the chuck of the electric drill. They cut at a low rpm, holding the tool firmly.
Important! It is necessarily necessary to work in protective glasses, otherwise the flying fragments might get in the eyes.
The tip of the alignment drill of the ballerina is set at the intended point. Extend the cutter to a distance equal to the diameter of the hole to be drilled. During work, hold the electric drill in a strictly vertical position.
Beginners do not understand how to drill a hole in a ceramic tile with a ballerina, holding the tool in one position for 2-3 minutes. This can be made easier by. Some masters first drill a small hole in the center of the future hole with a feather drill, and then insert the center point of the ballerina into it. This little trick allows you to accurately maintain the set diameter when cutting a large hole.
After using a ballerina, the uneven edges of the resulting hole have to be sanded off, using for this purpose:
This is probably one of the main disadvantages of using ballerina for drilling holes in tile. But a big plus is the affordable price of the tool, as well as the possibility of its repeated use.
Cutting ceramics with tungsten wire
All of the above methods involve the use of power tools. The risk of splintering and cracking the material is reduced if you use hand tools. So what can you manually drill tiles for mounting outlets, switches, equipment, communications, and other purposes?
With this task perfectly copes tungsten string, inserted instead of a cutting blade in a hand saw. Although here, too, one hole in order to pass the string, you will have to drill with an electric drill. Then insert a tungsten cutting string into it and with translational and rotational motions, cut a hole in the tile according to the outlined contour.
Notice! Sawing out each hole manually will take at least 30 minutes, and even more, depending on the skill of the tool. Therefore, this method is suitable for one-time performance of work.
How to make a hole angular grinder without special implements video
You can cut the hole without any special devices, using only an angle grinder with a diamond disk and tile cutters, called “parrots” in the masters’ environment. The operation is performed in three steps.
- The tile is attached to the wall, in which there is a round hole under the socket, by two ends alternately, marking its boundaries with a pencil.
- Then transfer the marks from the ends to the wrong side of the tile.
- Draw straight lines with a mowing line, using another tile instead of a ruler, and obtain at the intersection a square with a side equal to the diameter of the hole.
- Next, in the drawn square, connect the midpoints of the opposite sides. As a result, two intersecting lines that divide the square into four equal parts are obtained.
- Connect the points with arcs, which form the contours of the future round hole.
- In the second step of the start cut a square hole. For this purpose make cuts with a diamond disk along the marked axes connecting the centers of the sides of the square. The ceramic tile is held in the air at this point, pressing one edge against itself.
- After that, four more straight cuts are made with an angle grinder, as a result of which four small triangles fall off. It turns out a square, but only rotated 90 degrees. It remains to give the hole the desired round shape using another tool.
- Take tile cutters and carefully bite off small fragments, guided by the circular markings. The tile with a ready hole is attached to the wall for testing. If necessary, correct the marking and bite off the edges that protrude beyond the borders of the socket.
This method allows you to quickly perform the marking, eliminating the possibility of errors in the calculations, leading to a shift in the hole in the tile relative to the hole in the wall. After all, no calculations are made in principle.
You can watch in more detail how to drill a tile grinder angle grinder under the outlet, in the video.
The described method is universal and economical, because the tools used allow you to make a lot of holes of any size.
Cutting with a thin pobedite drill bit
There are cases when it is urgently necessary to cut a tile, and a special device for this master is not at hand. What and how to drill a hole in a tile in such circumstances? Drill and drill with pobeditovye tip, the diameter of which should be no more than 6-8 mm, will help. The technology of the work consists in the following algorithm:
- On the front side of the tile the contour of the hole is applied. If it is a socket, then it is applied to the intended mowing line and encircled with a marker.
- Drill about two dozen 6-8 mm holes along the circumference, leaving no more than 2 mm between them.
- The remaining isthmus between adjacent holes are removed with wire cutters or pliers.
Important! Before you cut a hole in the tile for the socket, mount the socket in the wall, bringing the electrical wiring to it.