Mortising a lock with a router
With the help of a hand router you can cut the door hinges and the lock right on the place where the door is installed.
There are different types of hand routers, but for mortise locks most often a universal plunge milling machine is used.
Even a person with no experience can cut a lock into a room door with a box cutter.
Many people, when they hear the word “router”, think that it is a bulky, expensive machine, but in fact it is a compact vertical machine, easy to use by hand.
With a router you can cut a groove of any shape, align the edge of the workpiece, cut curved profiles, prepare niches for hinges and locks, etc.д.
How to cut the lock into a room door with your own hands using a router?
For this, in addition to the cutter with a set of cutters need more tools: an electric screwdriver, drill, tape measure, angle, hammer and chisel.
Door leaf with the help of the slipway is fixed in an upright position on the side.
This is to ensure that you do not have to constantly support the door in the process of installing the lock.
After that we make all steps of mortise lock embedding: make a marking for the tongue of the lock.
We put the lock to the door leaf so that the marked line goes through the center of the drilled hole under the tongue and mark the upper and lower part of the slat and also the body of the lock with a pencil.
Then, with the help of an angle, draw a straight line on the end of the door. Use a hand router to make a recess for the lock case.
Not to cut with a mill more than necessary, on the outer side of the marking at the top and bottom as a limiter glued painting tape.
Then let’s insert another mill appropriate to the size of the slat, set the desired depth corresponding to the thickness of the slat and carefully make a recess in the center.
Prepare socket for the lock case: center the marking along the length of the lock by milling straight fishing line.
With a drill and a feather drill, we drill straight holes, take a hammer and chisel and pick out the remaining wood.
We level the walls of the place for the lock and check if the lock goes inside it. Then we start to install the lock and handles in the same way as it is written above.
Many people have faced such a problem, breaking the lock mechanism, at least once. In such cases you need a professional door lock repair.
Mortice Lock Drilling. Part 1
Usually, the lock repair is needed when you accidentally slammed the door, but the keys were left in the apartment, or even lost the keys.
Then, in order to get home, the lock has to be picked, and then it will need to be repaired or even replaced by the lock in the door.
Often it happens the following situation: when opening the lock the key suddenly breaks and a part of it remains in the lock.
In such case the lock has to be disassembled. If the door is made of metal, only specialists are able to do it.
If the interior door is made of wood and is equipped with an uncomplicated locking mechanism, then you can deal with the repair yourself. Before extracting the lock you should carefully study the door leaf so that the lock is not damaged.
One-time work can be accurately performed without special complex templates, using only a parallel stop, which limits the displacement of the cutter for marking to one side.
But for professional work with large volumes, special templates are often used. There may be both sets of templates for different hardware configurations and universal ones with adjustable dimensions.
Both homemade and prefabricated variants are used.
Construction example of one of the factory-made templates:
The device makes it possible to set and move the milling machine in the position required for exact spot picking.
Such a device makes sense when there is a large amount of work to be done.
Preparing for installing the locking device: choose a tool
For the correct installation of locks in interior door frames, it is important to choose the right tool. It is better to obtain all the necessary devices, tools and accessories before the beginning of the installation work. So that, getting down to business to not be distracted by the search and purchase of “what is missing. Therefore, it is advisable to consider the whole list of tools that will be needed for the installation of doors, what is called “turnkey”.
- A construction tape measure and a square. necessary for measuring so that you do not make a mistake when seating the locking device.
- A simple pencil. its function is clear.
- Rapel. is useful to fix the cloth on the floor, getting easier access to its end part.
- Phillips screwdriver. it is necessary for fastening the locking device to the door leaf.
- Drill. is necessary for drilling holes for fasteners.
- Chisel and hammer. needed for finishing the edges of the recess.
- A manual electric milling machine. it is needed for preparing recesses for mortise locks and grooves for hinges.
Important! You can not do without a chisel and a hammer, because even the spiral mill for mortise type locks leaves ugly edges, which, however, can be easily fixed by “grandfather’s method”.
Mortise a flat type lock
Before you yourself mortise a flat lock into a wooden interior door, it is necessary to understand the construction of the leaf.
The mortise of the locking device into the solid wood leaf can be made at any point. If the construction is made of wood fiberboard panels, the product is embedded at a distance of 1 m from the floor base. It is at this level that the wooden plank, to which the panels are attached, is located.
It is recommended to drill the holes for the lock mechanism with a feather drill, which diameter should be 1-3 mm thicker than the product itself. Then, using a chisel in the door, a recess is selected and a countersink is made. To do this in advance you need to make a marking.
The procedure for making a hole for the heart of the lock:
- Under the cylinder in the leaf is drilled a hole with a larger diameter. A smaller hole is drilled under the bottom of the pin cassette. Remove the remains of the wood with a chisel;
- The lock is inserted into the door without a caster and a handle. When the construction is in place, the hardware can be installed. After installation the locking mechanism should have a 1 mm backlash;
- After that it is necessary to mark places for screwing of self-tapping screws and drill a little bit smaller diameter hole. Using them, the locking structure is fixed to the door leaf;
- After fixing the product, the door handle is installed and a special escutcheon is fitted under the tongue. Different models may have L-shaped or round handles.
- Decorative cover plates are installed on both sides of the leaf and fixed with self-tapping screws. In doing so, they must not cover the holes;
- Then you insert the rod for fixing the handles;
- The canvas is covered, on the end part of the box are made marks for the reed;
- Using a ruler to measure the length of the reed, the corresponding mark is made at the end of the box;
- To the made markings the response plate is attached, outlined with a simple pencil on the contour;
- Chiseled out the material according to the contours drawn on the box;
- The bar is inserted into the prepared place and fixed with self-tapping screws.
After completing the installation work it is necessary to check the ease of closing/opening of the leaf, in order to adjust the location of the reed immediately if necessary.
Advantages of the device
Such a device will be convenient for both a professional and a home craftsman, who has decided to install new doors. Such a device, as a milling machine for mortise locks will be convenient thanks to:
- Modest in size and weight. This device is extremely easy to use;
- The tool is extremely mobile. it can be carried with the help of a case;
- Damage to the door leaf, frame or door block in general will be more difficult than in case of using a common tool. hammer and chisel;
- If you use a specialized tool. machine, you can eliminate or minimize errors, thereby ensuring maximum quality and reliable fit of the installed lock and fixed door hinges.
The tool is designed for woodworking, particularly for creating edges or grooves. With it, you can perform such operations as mortise and insertion of locks into accurately fitting holes and making recesses for hinges (their subsequent installation) in a very short time.
This device is ideal for doors and window frames or similar surfaces (doors to closets, cupboards and so on).д.).
In addition, the router will not only allow convenient installation of door fittings, but also to round the edges, you can make a neat profiled slats, create a beautiful and secure connections.
Despite the apparent complexity, everyone can easily learn to use the cutter. such a tool does not differ from a shaped loop, or drill.
Necessary tools for installation
No need to call in a handyman to fix the keyhole structure. Enough to define the tools for a self operation.
For all operations the following tools are required: a marker; a chisel; a drill with a diameter of 2.3 cm. (pen type); a simple pencil; an electric screwdriver; self-tapping screws, lock and handles from the kit; a box cutter; construction adhesive tape; an electric drill; a wood cutter with a diameter of 5 cm. If you do not have a marker, it can be replaced by a simple pencil.
Basic and additional tools for manual assembly
Additional, but no less important tools include a drill. For manual installation, it is mandatory. You can get it in the departments with door fittings (furniture, hypermarket, construction market). It is better to take not one, but at once a set of drills for wood.
Drills should be wider than the locking device, so having a set can pick up the necessary size. You will also need a peorator to level and enlarge the opening. For processing hard-to-reach parts an electric jigsaw is suitable.
Markers do a good job of marking on the blades, but they are absorbed and difficult to remove in case of a miss. The pencil will leave fewer marks, but will be slightly visible on the surface. Take a pencil of medium hardness, so that too soft will not smudge, and hard will not leave permanent marks.
You need to measure and mark accurately, not only to avoid leaving extra marks, but also to saw out all the pieces evenly. If not properly sawed, the design will jam or the locking mechanism will not be able to be inserted into the grooves.
A tape measure, a spirit level and a caliper are needed for accurate measurements. A caliper allows you to measure the necessary depth of decorative slats, grooves, overhangs.
A handy measuring tape or metal ruler length of 3m.-5м. The metal ruler will not be damaged by accidental collision with other tools, so it will last longer.
A level is necessary for the even installation of the door and the detection of misalignments, which will affect the long-term operation. For cutting casings and boards it is better to use an end saw. It does not split the edge like a jigsaw or hacksaw. You may need a screwdriver to install the handles, lock and hinges (to tighten the hardware). After all the tools are ready, you can begin assembling.
Choosing a routing cutter for self-assembly
Putting a lock in the interior door with the cutter is easier than with the drill. It speeds up the work, because you quickly get a neat hole. Cutter can be vertical (plunge), which performs arbitrary set the depth of the groove. Machine is very powerful and heavy.
For this reason, it is better to use a special milling machine for home work, which has less weight and power. When installing the tool for mortise locks should be convenient, then the work will come out neat. If the specialized grazer is good, the operation button allows you to control the degree of rotation, adding smoothness.
When selecting the device, the length of the cord, the weight, the location of the operating elements and the functions to be performed are important. Be sure to turn the machine on before purchase and look at the movement of the head (should be free). If there is any misalignment or backlash, then the device is not suitable for the work.
Speed regulation is important for comfortable work. Good switch with the discrete principle of rotation. Having protection on the switch will keep the unit free from dust, wood shavings and mechanical damage. Cutter reach is also important. If it is large, it will be difficult to drill the hole to the required mark.
Among additional functions the breadth of vision of the surface, the absence of noise, illumination, different nozzles, etc. are important.п.
Tools and materials
The following materials will be needed to install the mechanism:
- handles of any shape (round, “G” shaped). 2 pcs;
- Cylinder mechanism with a spring;
- screws for fastening, which connect the cylinder mechanisms;
- sockets for closing the cylinder devices. 2 pieces.
In addition to materials, you need a small set of tools for work:
- a simple pencil;
- tape measure;
- office knife;
- 0.1 and 0.2 cm chisels;
- 2.3 cm. fountain drill bit;
- 0,2 cm drill bit;
- 5.4 or 5 cm drill bit based on the thickness of the door;
- masking tape;
If any of the listed tools are not at home, you will have to buy. They do not cost much, and they are always useful for the household.
Using the router for inserting hinges
Adjusting the equipment
The hinge cut with a hand router is done after the equipment is pre-setting, which takes place in relation to:
The depth of the notch depends on the thickness of the hinge to be installed or. To set the desired parameter on the equipment, it is required:
- Place the machine on a flat, hard surface;
- Loosen the locking pin of the feed pin;
- lower the router down to the level of a flat surface and set the number “0” on the scale;
- if a hinge mortise cutter is used, determine the thickness of the hinge;
- Raise the pin to the required value and securely fix it.
The speed should be found by experimenting with the machine. Make sure that the machine is not overloaded and the wood does not “burn”. A switch is used to adjust the speed.
After all the parameters have been adjusted, you can proceed to the door hinge. To do this:
- the door is installed in special clamps to avoid the possibility of warping in the performance of work;
- The places for mounting the hinge are marked out. It is necessary to note not only the dimensions of the hardware, but also the places for fixing the hinge;
- The wood is removed with the milling machine. If necessary, any defects detected after the operation with electric equipment are corrected. A chisel and hammer are used to finish the notch;
When working with the cutter, it is important to choose the correct direction of movement of the equipment. It is necessary that the cutting part moves towards the wood fibers. Otherwise it can create irregularities and chips.
- A drill is used to drill the holes to fix the hinge;
- fittings are installed on the prepared surface and securely fixed with fixing bolts;
- the second part of the hinge is mounted in the same way on the surface of the door frame.
To choose a milling machine, you need to determine for what purposes the device will most often be used. The use of a router can reduce the time for carpentry work, while improving the quality of the result.
In order to have an idea of how to insert the lock into the interior door, you need to know its design and types.
Depending on the type of fixing, locks can be surface and mortise locks. Surface models, due to the outdated design, are practically not used anymore. It is very easy to properly install such a lock, as all that is required for proper operation is to ensure that the latch enters the responsive plate. the main part of the lock is situated outside the leaf.
It is much more difficult to insert a lock into internal doors, as it is necessary to insert the whole mechanism into the leaf.
Locking reeds may have such kinds of fixation:
- magnetic. a metal reed is magnetically held in place with a spring that fully blocks its movement;
- rolling locks are fixed by a moving roller and a spring;
- latchbolt is the standard mechanism, which fixes the latch by means of the tongue.
You can also fit a lock for the door, just as you would do for a front door. Such locks may be of the plunger, cylinder or disc type.
Depending on the way of insertion, convenience of use and other characteristics the following varieties of locks are distinguished:
- Flat, with a rectangular frame and tabs separated from the latchbolt. The design is distinguished by a high degree of security and is equipped with a push handle (fan-fold).
- Round locks with a cylindrical case, latch and tongue are united. The handle may be of any shape. The mortise lock and the cylindrical locking head are mortgaged into the spindle.
- Small-size locks with a swivel handle. No latch.
- Round, with a special knob handle.
Locks can also be classified according to other characteristics. The types of locking mechanisms are as follows:
The latter type of locking devices does not create a harsh sound when closing, can be mounted in any interior door (even already installed); magnetic locks are becoming more and more in demand.
To mortise the lock into a newly purchased door, you need to know the thickness of the leaf and the peculiarities of its structure. There are these types of interior doors:
- Fibreboard with a width of 35 mm.
- Fibreboard 45 mm wide.
- Wooden door of new construction (panel width from 50 mm).
- Wooden door Fiberboard of old construction with a board frame.
Installation of locks in the interior doors can be made by yourself, knowing the peculiarities of the construction and the principle of the lock operation.
This category of locks is the most expensive. They are more difficult to fit but offer good burglar-proofing protection. They put an extra load on the door, unlike round locks. A flat lock fits over a cash door.
It is allowed to install only flat locks of reduced size in a door made of wood-fibre board with the width of 35 mm. Also, only locks with the widest reed of 15 mm may be cut into the fiberboard. The end plate must not exceed 24 mm in width. This is due to the fact that the dynamic load created by the lock can only absorb the wood frame, and the wood-fibre board is a weak material.
This type of handle is the most suitable for apartments and private houses. They are designed to be inserted in any door. The lever handle is mainly used in houses with limited mobility. force is required to use the rotary knob.
Knob handle is notable for its safety: it is impossible to injure oneself or one’s clothes can get caught in it.
The installation process of round locks with any handle remains the same. Lock mechanism with cylindrical body is made for the doors with thickness of 35-45 mm. Locks for large wooden constructions are not always available in small communities. But round locks are different, because they can be adapted to any thickness of door. This requires replacing the jig wheel with a longer pinchwheel. It is a rectangular shaped steel plate 2-3 mm thick. On one of its ends there is a hole.
The latch release toggle should be placed in a position that corresponds to the material of which the door jamb is made. For wood it is 70 mm, for fiberboard 60. The production of locks for interior doors has its own peculiarities: their latchpin is located inside for convenient locking of the door from the inside.
When the door opens to the left side and no suitable lock has been found, the latch and the lock cylinder must be exchanged beforehand. To do this you will need to disassemble the construction. This variant is not suitable for office premises, because such lock can be easily disassembled even without special tools.