Gearbox bearing replacement angle grinder
Metabo angle grinders have a number of patented features.
- VibraTech handle, which reduces the vibration felt by the person working with the device by 60%. This enables a totally comfortable use of the machine over a longer period of time.
- Metabo S-automatic clutch for maximum safety during operation. This design will prevent dangerous jerks in the tool’s operation if you happen to have a jammed disk.
- The Quick clamping nut, which makes it possible to replace the angle grinder‘s grinding wheel without using a wrench. Not all Metabo angle grinders are equipped with S-automatic.
- Disc brake allows to fully lock the angle grinder’s disc within the first few seconds after switching it off. Is installed on the machines of the WB series.
- The power button is well sealed to prevent any electrical interruptions. It is also equipped with a safety fuse that prevents unauthorized starting.
- Technology slots in the housing provide excellent ventilation of the engine, thereby preventing it from overheating during prolonged work.
- The gearbox in Metabo power grinders is made entirely of metal, which allows the heat to dissipate quickly, and therefore prolongs the life of the entire mechanism.
How to remove the bearing from the armature of an angle grinder
Today, many home handymen do not professional craftsmen certainly have a whole arsenal of power tools that help cope with domestic not repair and construction tasks. Peorators, jigsaws, angle grinders, drills. they greatly simplify and accelerate the work. But it does happen that power tools break down. You should not be in a hurry not to send it to the trash because of this. Due to intensive use, the parts wear out, respectively the equipment is not able to work in normal mode. If you know how to remove the bearing from the armature of the power tool, of course extend the life of your “helper”. Timely replacement of non-lubricated parts allows you to operate the device for a longer time.
The main task of a power tool motor. it’s rotation. Anchor is the important part of the device that makes the working mechanism rotate. The service life of the part depends on the power output, not the rotation speed, and of course the active use of the equipment. To reduce friction in its time of movement of parts, you need bearings. They ensure smooth rotation and do not improve the running of the working mechanism of the power tool. If the bearings are not lubricated in a timely manner, their service life is considerably increased.
The tools necessary for repair and replacement of unusable parts
For quality and effective repair of the angle grinder, you will need the simplest tools, which are available to almost every diligent owner.
The presence of an electric screwdriver will greatly facilitate the disassembly procedure of the angle grinder. But if you don’t have it, you can easily get by with various screwdrivers. It is desirable that they have a ratchet mechanism.
To unscrew the nut that attaches the helical drive pinion, you will need a wrench called a spanner.
To disassemble the bearing you need a special puller.
Carry out diagnostics of an electrical component of the device being repaired, using a tester. There is also a special device that detects short-circuited turns. This tool is very handy because you can diagnose either the stator or the rotor without having to remove the assembly.
Be sure to have a diagram of the grinder’s mechanism. Knowing the location of the major components will greatly facilitate the disassembly of the mechanism, repair, or replace bad parts.
How to remove the bearing from the rear wheel hub
Before field replacement in the field, the vehicle must be secured with heavy-duty wheel chocks. Then remove the wheel, unscrew the bolts and hit them with a brass hammer first. Remove the brake drum, unscrew the central nut and remove the hub. When the inner ring is “frozen” on the shaft, it can be removed with a puller or a chisel. This procedure should be done very carefully so as not to damage the surface of the axle.If the upper ring is left, it can be pressed out with a special tool or knocked out. If the element falls apart during heavy use, the entire assembly may need to be replaced.
Today, home and professional craftsmen use several methods to solve this problem. If necessary remove the bearing
from the angle grinder’s anchor or other tool can be done with these tools:
- The puller. Remove the disc from the angle grinder, how to change and what. These are special devices that allow you to easily and safely remove bearings of different sizes from the angle grinder anchor. The use of pullers requires virtually no physical force, even when the bearing is tightly seated. The centering mechanism ensures that the grips on the device are fitted at the same time. It can be used in all positions. Before removing the bearing, the angle grinder armature shaft must be free of old grease, swarf, sand, etc. so that nothing interferes with the removal of the part. The centering mechanism allows the puller to sit precisely in place. If the bearing is intact and the disassembly process is for revision, it should be pulled by the inner ring so as not to damage it. For large shafts angle grinder anchor use a massive extractor with three or four claws, and for the small suit the device with interchangeable plates or strips.
- Hammers, chisels, wrenches and other handy tools. In this case, in order to remove the angle grinder anchor, it is heated with gas, compressed in a vise, chipped, chopped and perform many other operations. These methods can certainly be effective, but there is a great risk that the seat of the component will be mechanically damaged. And often the bearing itself after such manipulations without a puller will be unsuitable for further use. over, the operator can be injured by pieces of the cage that break off after impact in the face, eyes or head.
As practice shows, pullers are more effective in this situation. They allow you to remove the bearing from the armature of the power tool quickly, easily and without much risk, and inspect or replace. If you occasionally need to carry out such operations, you should get hold of such a useful tool. The use of improvised devices is acceptable only if you have experience in repairing power tools and urgent replacement of the part is required.
How to remove the inner bearing without a puller from the hub of the front wheel VAZ 2110
Disassembly and replacement of the p/t is required if you hear a characteristic crunch or hum, which is heard when driving from the front wheels. Replacement is best performed with a special device and auxiliary tools to avoid damage. To understand how to remove the bearing from the front hub half on your own, you should read the step-by-step procedure:
- Set the car on an overpass or flat surface, jack up the wheel, tighten the handbrake;
- remove the caliper, brake disc, unscrew the lock nut
- using two studs inserted in the brake disc and screwed into the hub up to the stop, you should pull the part from the shaft;
- unscrew ball joint bolts and remove the ball joint from the socket;
- remove the locking ring with pliers;
- Press out the upper ring with a puller;
- remove the mud ring with a screwdriver;
Before installing a new element, carefully clean and lubricate the seating surfaces, check for damage. Reassemble in reverse order.
What repair of angle grinder with their own hands can the user
Although the angle grinder is not a tool of particular complexity, the user can perform repair work not on all units.
In addition to the simple replacement of bearings or gear wheels, there are problems which cannot be solved without special tools or equipment.
- You need a press to press out the idler pinion. It is not possible to wind the rotor without a tool.
- This includes rotor failure. For the average user, this kind of problem ends up in a trip to the service center.
- Advanced users can revive a burnt-out rotor with certain skills and concepts. But sometimes it is easier to buy a new one than to bother with rewinding.
For most users, the repair of the angle grinder with their own hands is limited to a certain range of faults.
Systematization of faults of the electrical part of the angle grinder
- The easiest malfunction that causes the angle grinder not to turn on is a broken power cord. The most common breakage is in the power cord near the plug or at the inlet to the tool. The problem can easily be solved by replacing the power cord or removing a broken piece of wire.
- Increased heat in the area where the carbon brushes are installed. This fault is most often caused by the carbon brushes being shorter than the nominal size. Carbon brushes cannot be shorter than 8 mm in length.
- The trigger of the angle grinder is stuck. Failure is caused by burnout of the internal contacts in the button. Eliminate complete replacement of the switch for a new one.
- Some angle grinder models have a device that enables infinitely variable adjustment of the angle grinder speed. Speed regulator of the angle grinder improves smoothness of the angle grinder and prevents jamming of the working body. The angle grinder’s speed regulator can be repaired by replacing it completely.
Mechanical faults grouping on angle grinder
- Disturbing noise in the gearbox of the angle grinder, gearbox heating. Failure is caused by destruction of support bearing, wear of gears teeth, drying up of lubricant. Remedies by replacing gears when wear of tooth is high. If the gear teeth are slightly worn, you can try to correct this. Tooth profile can be repaired by hand, sawing with a round file and drill. Grease is replaced by a new one each time the gearbox is repaired. New grease is applied to carefully washed parts.
- If a bearing breaks or has excessive play, it needs to be replaced. Some models have the bearing interference fit on the spindle. Replacements require special tools, in particular presses. Parts must be cooled or heated.
- The bearings on the rotor need to be replaced when the rotor has a large runout. Increased runout can be easily seen on the rotor header and by the wear rate of the carbon brushes.
Simple problems and how to diagnose and repair them yourself
If you have an angle grinder does not turn on when you press the “Start” button, then the inspection begins with an inspection of the power cable at the entrance to the tool.
Unscrew cover of angle grinder and check continuity of power cord with tester or phase. Strictly observe the safety rules.
If the power cord is intact and the angle grinder won’t turn on, replace the start button.
If the angle grinder does not work when a new button is installed, check the quality of the carbon brushes and their tight fit on the rotor head.
Complex faults and repair angle grinder with their own hands
The following types of failure require certain knowledge and skills to repair:
- Jamming or destruction of bearings.
- Grinding or breaking of gear teeth.
- Open or short circuit in rotor or stator.
- Failure of control circuit parts.
- Destruction of the gear reducer housing.
Checking with a short-circuit indicator (SCI)
You will find some armatures where you can not see the wires connected to the collector because they are filled with opaque compound or because of the bandage. Therefore, it is difficult to determine the commutation on the collector relative to the grooves. The indicator for short-circuited windings can help.
The device is small and easy to operate.
First check the armature for breaks. Otherwise, the indicator can not detect a short circuit. Use a tester to measure the resistance between two adjacent blades. If the resistance is at least twice the average value, it means that there is a break. If there is no breakage go to the next step.
How to replace the bearings on a Bosch GWS 5-115 angle grinder
The resistance regulator allows you to select the sensitivity of the device. It has two lights: a red and a green one. Adjust the regulator until the red light comes on. There are two sensors on the body of the indicator in the form of white dots, spaced 3 centimeters apart. Place the indicator with the sensors on the winding. Turn the armature slowly. If the red light comes on, then you have a short circuit.
How to check the angle grinder armature for malfunction
If the armature is defective, the motor will overheat, the winding insulation will melt, and the turns will short-circuit. The contacts connecting the armature winding to the collector plates are unsoldered. Power goes out and motor stops working.
Inspect the armature before you take a diagnostic tool. There may be damage on it. If the wiring is melted, the burnt insulating varnish will leave black marks or a peculiar smell. You may see bent and crumpled coils or conductive particles such as solder residue. These particles cause a short circuit between the coils. The lamellae have bent edges, called roosters, to connect to the winding.
Breaking these contacts causes the lamellas to burn out.
Other damage to the manifold: raised, worn or burned plates. There could be graphite from the brushes accumulated between the lamellae, which also indicates a short circuit.