The device mows the grass poorly
If after passing the lawn mower an uneven surface is formed, first check the condition of the grass catcher and the rear window through which the grass is thrown out, when the grass catcher and window are clogged, the machine cannot effectively mow the grass.
If the grass catcher and window are in order, check the engine operation. The easiest way to do this is by the sound while mowing grass. for an asynchronous motor, the sound should change slightly only when mowing thick grass or too fast movement of the mower, and for a synchronous motor it should never change.
If the sound of the induction motor changes even if you are not moving too fast, but the motor does not overheat, and there is no smell of smoke, then you are moving the lawnmower too fast and its motor power is not enough.
Reduce the speed of the mower so that the sound of the mower does not change and check the quality of the mowing. if it has not changed, the problem is in the drive of the cutting mechanism, if the quality of the mowing has improved, then either move the mower more slowly or buy a more powerful model.
If the problem is in the drive of the cutting unit, then it is necessary to repair it as described above.
How do electric lawn mowers work?
The general layout of electric lawn mowers is the same.
An electric motor is installed on the wheeled chassis, directly or through a belt drive, a rotating cutting tool that cuts the grass at a certain height.
However, despite the general principle of operation, all mowers are divided into types according to:
- type of chassis;
- engine type;
- type of cutting tool;
- the way the grass is dumped or processed;
- way of movement.
Electric lawn mowers: device, operation, malfunctions
An electric lawn mower is a complex tool, so it is very important to use and maintain it correctly.
Improper maintenance or use can result in not only serious damage to the mower, but also injury.
The general rules for safe use are the same for all lawn mowers, however, there are nuances that apply only to certain types of these machines.
The information that you will find in this article cannot fully replace the user’s manual for a particular model, but it will give a general idea of the correct use of electric lawn mowers, including their maintenance and repair.
- what is the device of an electric lawn mower;
- how to use it correctly: how to turn it on, how to mow the lawn;
- how to maintain: disassemble, sharpen a knife, can it be washed with water, mow wet grass, how to store;
- the most frequent malfunctions: does not turn on, stopped working, smoke and what could be the reasons;
- other nuances of the operation of these devices.
The self-propelled lawnmower does not drive well or does not drive at all when the drive lever is depressed
If the mower does not drive or does not drive well, then proceed according to this algorithm, proceeding to the next step only after you have completed all the steps for the previous step and made sure that the mechanism is working properly:
- Check if the drive cable is intact, to do this, press the wheel drive lever several times and see if the cable activates the drive mechanism lever.
- Adjust the length of the drive cable (see the mower manual for this procedure) by moving the drive lever to the engaged position.
- Disassemble the belt drive mechanism and check the condition of its parts, if necessary replace worn or damaged elements.
- Check the operation of the gearbox, for this, remove the belt from its pulley and turn the pulley several times, this should lead to the rotation of the wheels. Then press the wheel with your finger and turn the pulley again, the force created by the wheel should be several times greater than the force applied to the pulley. If the gearbox does not work properly, replace it.
- Assemble the wheel drive and adjust the length of the cable so that the wheels begin to rotate when the lever is pressed about halfway.
Cutting tool type
The overwhelming majority of devices are equipped with a rotary cutting tool, that is, knives mounted on the motor shaft, which, while rotating, cut the grass and throw it out through the side or rear window. During rotation, this blade creates a vertically directed air stream that lifts the crushed grass and provides a level surface after mowing.
To some extent, line cutting mechanisms, which are installed on wheel grass trimmers, can also be attributed to rotary cutting mechanisms, only instead of a metal knife they cut the grass with a fishing line accelerated to high speeds.
The main disadvantage of rotary knives is their vulnerability to solid obstacles, because rotating at high speed, they store huge kinetic energy. Therefore, when colliding with an obstacle, not only defects of the cutting edge appear, but also the shape of the knife is often disrupted, due to which an imbalance appears, leading to strong vibration during engine operation.
Some lawn mowers are equipped with a drum cutting mechanism, which is a hollow drum made of steel plates, as well as a sharpened knife that works on the principle of scissors.
The rotating drum grabs the grass and brings it to the knife, which cuts the vegetation, so this mechanism is devoid of the main disadvantage of rotary counterparts. After all, the rotation speed of the drum is much lower, which means that the energy accumulated in it is not enough to damage the plates, in addition, the knife does not come into contact with obstacles at all, therefore, defects do not appear on its cutting edge.
The knife does not rotate when the engine is running
The reason for such a malfunction may be:
- seized motor bearing;
- seized blade shaft bearing (only on mowers with a synchronous motor);
- weak tension of the knife drive belt (only on mowers with a synchronous motor);
- weak tightening of the bolt fixing the knife;
- loss of a knife.
To determine the exact cause and fix it, turn the unplugged electric lawnmower upside down and twist the knife.
If it rotates without resistance, then the mower has one of the following damage:
- knife clamps are cut off;
- the knife mounting bolt is not tightened;
- torn or stretched knife drive belt;
- the pulleys of the motor or knife are worn out.
To check the tightening of the bolt, swing the knife, moving one or the other edge away from the seat, if the screw is not tightened, the knife will dangle, but if it sits firmly, then the problem is something else.
To check the clips, unscrew the bolt, then remove the knife and inspect the seat for it. if the clips are damaged, this will be immediately visible.
To check and adjust the tension of the knife drive belt, it is necessary to remove the motor, so we recommend doing this operation yourself only if you are familiar with the device of your mower and know how to remove and replace its electric motor. This process is not the same on different mowers, so it is impossible to prepare a universal instruction.
After removing the engine, do the following:
- check the condition of all parts of the belt tensioner, bearings, rubber rings and springs must be intact;
- remove the belt and check its length (there should always be a spare belt for this at home);
- check the condition of both pulleys, paying particular attention to the inner surface where the belt runs and fixing the shaft.
Repair or replace defective parts, then reassemble the mower and check the operation of the blade. As an example of such a repair, we suggest you watch this
Service after mowing
When you have finished mowing, follow these steps:
- Release the engine start lever and wait for the engine to stop.
- Unplug the extension cord from the outlet.
- Disconnect the mower from the extension cord.
- Sweep the outside of the lawnmower with a broom.
- Remove and empty the grass catcher, if it is made of plastic, then thoroughly clean the ventilation holes, if it is made of cloth, then turn it inside out and shake it well to remove adhering grass residues. Some collector models can be washed with a water jet.
- Use a wooden, plastic or rubber spatula to clean the grass ejection holes.
- Turn the mower over and use a wooden, plastic or rubber spatula to remove any grass residues from the deck.
- Clean wheel shafts and bearings, including plastic or metal bushings, from grass debris and make sure wheels turn easily.
Preparation for work
When preparing for work, start the external inspection of the device, paying special attention to the integrity of the insulation of the wires, including extension cords, in addition, do not forget to check all threaded connections. In addition, carefully inspect the body of the mower, if cracks or dents are found on it, then you cannot use such a device, first you need to disassemble it and check the condition of the internal parts and mechanisms.
If everything is in order, then install the machine on a flat surface, connect it to the socket via extension cords and turn on the engine. the mower should work without knocking or vibration. After 10-20 seconds, if there is no smell of smoke, turn off the engine and disconnect the extension cords from the mains.
- some unusual sounds;
- the smell of smoke,
then first eliminate their causes and only after that, after performing one more check, proceed to mowing the grass. In addition, do not forget to check the condition of the cutting edge of the knife by unplugging the device from the outlet and waiting for the end of the rotation of the motor shaft.
If the knife is dull or damaged, replace it with a new one or sharpen it with subsequent balancing.
In drum mowers, check the condition of the drum plates and the sharpening of the knife, if the knife is dull, then sharpen it strictly following the operating instructions.
If you plan to work with the grass catcher, check its condition and attach it to the mower to make sure it fits snugly.
If you find a loose fit of the grass catcher, remove it and eliminate the cause, which is most often the grass that was not noticed during cleaning.
Also check the ease of rotation of the wheels, if one or more of them rotate tightly, then check the condition of the bushings or bearings, if necessary, clean them of grass.
If the instruction manual recommends lubricating bushings or bearings, then do so when you find the slightest resistance to rotation.
Also, remove any solid objects from the area, including:
- large and medium stones.
Gasoline lawn mower malfunctions: the most common problems and their elimination
Like any motorized technique, the lawn mower sometimes breaks down and stops working or does not work properly.
over, there is always a specific reason why the equipment works intermittently, without eliminating its repair will only lead to a senseless waste of finances and time.
Having understood the device of the lawn mower and the reasons for the breakdown of certain mechanisms, in most cases it is possible to eliminate them yourself.
- the most common malfunctions of gasoline lawn mowers;
- the reasons for these malfunctions;
- diagnostic methods;
- methods of repair and prevention.
The device does not drive well
The most common causes of such a malfunction are:
- incorrect adjustment of the wheel drive cable;
- clogged bushings or wheel bearings;
- Leaking lower oil seal of the engine crankshaft;
- poor quality or too large drive belt.
It is necessary to start the test by adjusting the wheel drive cable, this procedure is described in detail in the manual for the petrol lawn mower.
It is necessary to move the cable adjustment so that the drive engages with less pressure on the lever. If this does not help, it is necessary to return the cable to its original state, then prepare the mower for replacing the belt, all preparatory actions are also described in detail in the operating instructions.
To check the ease of rotation of the wheels, tilt the mower by lifting the front and rear parts alternately, and also by hand checking the ease of rotation of the wheels.
Even the drive wheels connected to the gearbox must, albeit with effort, rotate when they are turned by hand. The other pair of wheels, not connected to the gearbox, should turn much more easily. If the drive wheels cannot be rotated with one hand, it means that the gearbox requires maintenance or replacement, at home this should only be done if you have extensive experience in repairing such equipment.
If the drive wheels do not rotate tightly, then it is necessary to check the condition of the bushings with which they are connected to the mower body, possibly the bushings are clogged with grass. To cope with such a problem, it is necessary to remove the wheels, then pull the shaft out of the bushings and clean all the elements from adhering grass, a detailed description of this operation is in the operating instructions for the lawn mower.
To carry out the following steps, you need at least a minimum of locksmith and repair experience associated with any motorized equipment. If you do not have such experience or are not sure that you can handle it, it is better to entrust the performance of these works to a specialized workshop or service center.
After draining the oil and gasoline, the gasoline lawnmower is placed on the table, turning the muffler to the bottom or with the wheels towards the top.
Then remove the knife and belt guard (all these operations are described in detail in the operating instructions of the lawn mower) and check the tension of the latter, and also look for traces of oil.
If the belt is very stretched, then it must be replaced with a new one, this can be done independently, however, certain locksmith skills will be required.
If there are traces of oil, then it is advisable to deliver the device to a service center, because special equipment and certain skills are needed to repair it.
- the cable connecting the wheel drive bracket and the bearing squeezing out the belt is seized or sour;
- the adjustment of the wheel drive cable is out of order.
The cable starts to jam when stored improperly or frequently mowing wet grass, when moisture penetrates into the braid and corrosion forms there.
To check and eliminate such a malfunction, you must first pour plenty of WD-40 liquid inside the cable and wait 2-3 hours, then pour 1-2 ml of engine oil there.
It is advisable to carry out such maintenance annually, regardless of the cable jam, only the oil volume must be reduced by 2–3 times. This will protect the inside of the braid and the core from moisture, which will help the cable last much longer. If this does not help, then it is necessary to adjust the actuator as described in the operating instructions.
Most common problems
Here are the most common faults:
- the engine will not start;
- the motor stalls arbitrarily;
- the engine does not pick up speed or does not keep it;
- immediately after the start of mowing, the engine speed drops and it stalls or works intermittently;
- smokes a lot;
- does not drive well;
- does not stop even after the operator has released the wheel drive lever;
- shakes violently;
- does not cut the grass well.
Engine speed drops and it stalls
If, when idling, the engine normally keeps even the forcibly raised high speed, but after the start of mowing, its speed drops sharply and it often stalls, then the reason may be as follows:
- the air damper drive is faulty or its lever is in the wrong position;
- clogged air filter;
- the candle is broken inside, therefore it gives a weak spark.
Perform the steps necessary to check these causes (we already talked about this in the previous sections) and, if the problem persists, contact a specialized workshop, because the motor needs professional diagnostics and repair.
To carry out such diagnostics and repairs, special equipment and skills are required that most users of gasoline lawn mowers do not have.
Engine won’t start
There are quite a few reasons why the engine does not start:
- empty fuel tank;
- clogged air filter;
- muffler clogged;
- the ignition switch is in the wrong position or defective;
- the choke lever is in the wrong position;
- faulty candle;
- broken or clogged carburetor.
Such a malfunction of a gasoline lawn mower occurs in two cases:
- when the knife is deformed due to hitting an obstacle;
- with incorrect sharpening of the knife.
In both cases, the reason for the shaking is the lack of balance of the knife, because when the knife is struck, at least a little, but it deforms, and if the sharpening is incorrect, the metal is removed unevenly on both sides.
As a result, a lever is formed, the length or mass of the arms of which is at least slightly, but different. This leads to the fact that the motor shaft will always pull after the heavier or longer arm of the lever, and due to its rotation, such a force will also move in a circle.
In order to determine the cause, it is necessary to prepare and set the petrol lawnmower to the position for changing the blade (these operations are described in detail in the operating instructions). Then the knife is carefully examined in search of damage, if the external examination did not give anything, then it is removed and balanced.
Balancing can be performed both independently (this will require a round wooden or metal bar, the diameter of which is a fraction of a mm less than the diameter of the knife hole), and in the workshop.
When self-balancing, the knife is put on the bar and they see which side will go down, for more accurate balancing, you can slightly twist the knife on this makeshift shaft.
Having determined the heavier side, it is gradually grinded with a file by hand or on a grinder, constantly checking the balance, and the metal is removed only from the side of the blade, keeping the original sharpening angle. In the same way, the knife is sharpened at home, first the edge of the blade, then balancing it.
On some petrol lawnmower models, the shaking may be caused by a broken adapter between the engine shaft and the blade, which protects the shaft from collision damage.
To diagnose such a malfunction, it is necessary to set the device to the position for replacing the knife, then shake the knife in different directions and try to rotate it.
DIY: Troubleshooting Lawn Mower Electrical Issues. Mower Will Not Start
If it sways or turns even a little, the adapter needs to be changed. after all, it has fulfilled its task, protected the shaft when the knife stops abruptly, due to which it can no longer reliably fix the knife. Its replacement is also described in the instruction manual.
To better distribute the heat in the oven over the entire area, the designers installed a powerful fan, which sometimes may not function correctly: it rotates continuously or does not turn on at all. This type of breakdown is associated with the control unit, therefore it is useless to carry out repairs on your own. you need the appropriate diagnostic equipment in order to accurately establish, change the fan or the unit itself.
The product does not turn on
Why are the indicators not working on the stove, there is no heating of the hotplate, there is no reaction to switching modes? The reason lies in the lack of an electric current supply to the product. To localize plate faults, you need to do everything in stages:
- we check the voltage in the outlet with a multimeter, if not, turn off the home network, disassemble and eliminate the detected wire break;
- if everything works in the outlet, we disassemble the plug and do a similar check;
- then we check the network wire connecting the stove. perhaps there was an internal break in the core, it needs to be replaced;
The second reason may be a burnout of the heating element of the burner or the heating element of the oven. they cannot be repaired, they are simply replaced with new devices. There is also such an option: the indicators are lit, but there is no heating of the burners and heating elements of the oven, why is this happening? In this case, you need to figure it out without haste. First, everything must be inspected visually: are all the connections tightened as needed, whether the wire has come off where, or there is a melting of the PVC protection, which indicates that the core is burnt. In this case, reconnect, eliminating the burnt area.
Top Reasons Lawn Mower Not Starting — Lawn Mower Troubleshooting
The third, quite common reason. the switch may break, so the burner or oven simply does not turn on.
No heating element
When the oven of the electric stove heats up weakly, the main reason lies in the health of the heating element. These products, like the heating elements of the hob burners, cannot be repaired. they need to be replaced. Sometimes, which happens very rarely, the thermostat, which regulates the temperature inside the device, may burn out. it is dismantled and a new one is installed.
Such a malfunction is very rare: the hostess turns on the oven, and the product immediately turns off completely. When checking the circuit breaker on the electrical panel, it turns out that it has cut off the power supply to the product. perhaps a short circuit has occurred, it is necessary to change the heating element.
Why did the electric stove break
These stoves are much safer than gas stoves. there is no open fire, but if used carelessly, you can get an electric shock. The products are very reliable, but sometimes users call the service center to report that the electric stove has broken. Of course, the overhaul of such household appliances with increased danger should be carried out by a qualified master. But in some cases, you can cope on your own, you just need to know what is the cause of the malfunction, and also have a general idea of how the electric stove works.
Weak heating of the surface of the induction hob of an electric stove can occur due to the fact that the bottom of the cookware is much smaller than the diameter of the latter, or there is insufficient contact. the cookware with a deformed bottom. Smart cooking zones do not heat up in this case. To eliminate the malfunction, only use special cookware that is suitable for the induction hob.
Another reason for poor heating is a loose fit of the hotplate on the inside of the glass ceramic hob. In this case, it is necessary to adjust the springs of the pressure device. This can also happen with a strong overheating of the induction winding, which happens extremely rarely.
Quite often there are such typical violations in the stable operation of the product:
- the hotplates and / or oven do not heat up;
- indicators are off;
- one of the burners does not heat well;
- the light in the oven does not turn on.
There are many reasons for the occurrence of such violations, one of them is the overload protection circuit breaker in case of a sharp voltage surge in the city power grid. If the machine did not work, and the electric stove does not show signs of life, then diagnostics should be carried out.
- First of all, you should check the presence of voltage in the network. it is possible that the power supply has been turned off throughout the house. If everything is normal, then check the automatic protection on your electrical panel, carefully inspect the terminals and look for a burning point, then disassemble the outlet for a similar inspection. If everything works on the dashboard, but there is no voltage in the outlet, call the wizard.
- There are options when everything works fine, but there is no current at the input terminals of the stove. the reason is in the plug of the cord from the product, a wire may be broken, or the contact of its attachment is loose, because of this the stove does not turn on.
In the third option, you can fix the defect yourself. you need to disassemble the plug and tighten the wire fastening screws, or make the connection again, cut the wire, remove the braid, strip the cores, and connect them to the point of contact.
When an electric stove with an induction hob does not work, then a possible reason for this may be a power switch or a special fuse. it melts when the voltage rises, disconnecting the entire electrical circuit. The contacts between the control unit and the power board or between it and the touch panel may not turn on for various reasons, due to oxidation or the formation of carbon deposits. Only a specialist can understand all the difficulties. here you need to change the burner block or the touch control panel.
Often, only the oven does not work in an electric stove. In this case, the most common malfunction is that there is no backlight inside the device, as a rule, there are two reasons.
- There is no contact of the lead wire with the lighting system. check the button responsible for turning on the backlight, in case of breakage, replace it.
- A light bulb has burned out. the plafond protects it from high temperature, but this is how they are arranged, which very often burn out, from the slightest voltage drop.
When a short circuit occurs in the electrical system of the stove, the lamps in the oven are the first to burn out.