If the mixture is diluted correctly, for example, following the instructions below, then the equipment will serve you for more than one year without serious technical breakdowns. At the same time, fuel consumption will be low, and the result of work will be high. The fuel preparation process must always be the same and constant. It is better to use the same ingredients always, without changing the brand indicated by the manufacturer..
It is not worth adding a lot of oil, it can damage the operation of the engine, but you should not save on it either. To maintain the correct proportions, always use the same measuring container, so as not to be mistaken with the quantity. Medical syringes can be used to measure the oil, but some manufacturers, along with the oil, provide a measuring container with risks in the kit..
The most correct ratio of oil and gasoline is 1 to 50, where 50 is the amount of gasoline, and the amount of oil is 1. For a better understanding, let us explain that 1 liter is equal to 1000 ml. So, to get a ratio of 1 to 50, divide 1000 ml by 50, we get 20 ml. As a result, only 20 milliliters of oil need to be added to 1 liter of gasoline. To dilute 5 liters of gasoline, you need 100 ml of oil.
In addition to maintaining the correct proportion, it is necessary to follow the mixing technology of the ingredients. In no case should you just add oil to the gas tank. It is better to follow the following step by step instructions.
- To dilute the mixture, you must prepare in advance a container in which you will mix gasoline and oil. This can be a clean metal or plastic canister with a volume of 3, 5 or 10 liters to make it easier to calculate the amount of oil. Do not use drinking water bottles for this purpose – they are made of thin plastic that can dissolve from gasoline. Use a special measuring container to measure the oil. But if there is none, then, as already noted, medical syringes with a large dosage will do..
- Pour gasoline into the canister, without adding a couple of centimeters to the full volume. In order not to spill gasoline, take a watering can or insert a funnel into the neck of the canister. Then take the required amount of oil into a syringe or measuring device and pour it into a container with gasoline. It is not recommended to do the opposite – pour gasoline into oil.
- Close the bottle tightly and stir the mixture. If during the preparation of the mixture or its mixing, part of the fuel spills out, immediately wipe the canister with a dry cloth.
- Be sure to follow fire safety measures. Dilute the mixture away from fire and never leave leftover fuel or used materials within easy reach of children..
And one more important point: it is better to prepare the mixture just enough to fit into the fuel tank of your lawn mower. It is undesirable to leave the remains of the mixture.
What gasoline can be poured into the trimmer?
Before determining which gasoline can be put into the trimmer, it is necessary to define some of the concepts used..
- Trim tabs can be with four-stroke or two-stroke engines. Four-stroke trimmers are the most powerful and complex in design; the lubrication of parts of its engine is carried out by an oil pump. The engine runs on pure gasoline. For two-stroke units – simpler ones – preparation of a fuel mixture consisting of gasoline and oil is required. It is due to the amount of oil in the fuel that the rubbing parts in the cylinder of this engine are lubricated.
- To prepare the mixture, you need a certain grade of gasoline AI-95 or AI-92. The brand of gasoline depends on its ignition speed – octane number. The lower this indicator, the faster gasoline burns and the greater its consumption..
Many models of lawn mowers have two-stroke engines running mainly on AI-92 gasoline. The fuel for them must be mixed independently. It is better to pour gasoline of the brand specified for it by the manufacturer into the lawn mower, otherwise the trimmer will fail faster. For example, with AI-95 gasoline, the engine will quickly overheat, and when choosing AI-80, the fuel mixture turns out to be of very low quality, therefore the engine operation will be unstable and with low power.
In addition to choosing a brand of gasoline, when preparing a fuel mixture for lawn mowers, you need to use a special oil designed specifically for two-stroke engines. Semi-synthetic and synthetic oils work well for lawn mowers. Semi-synthetic oils are in the middle price range, they are suitable for such equipment from any manufacturer, they lubricate the necessary engine elements well. Synthetic oils are more expensive, but they will keep the engine running longer. In any case, when buying equipment, you should carefully read the instructions, since sometimes the manufacturer gives recommendations on the use of specific brands of oil.
If you buy Russian-made oil, then it must be marked. 2T. For a long service life of your equipment and its good condition, you never need to use oils of unknown origin..
Gasoline for lawn mowers: which to choose and how to dilute?
For those people who have a summer cottage or a country house, very often there are difficulties with the overgrown grass on the site. As a rule, it is necessary to mow it several times per season and get rid of thickets. Currently, there is a wide range of garden and vegetable garden equipment on the market. One of these assistants can be attributed to a lawn mower, in other words – a trimmer. For effective and long-term operation of such equipment, it is necessary to fill it with high-quality fuel or properly prepared fuel mixtures..
Features of refueling lawn mowers
When the mixture is prepared and ready for use, it must be carefully poured into the fuel tank. Since gasoline is a toxic liquid, safety precautions must be observed when working with it. Work must be carried out in calm weather and away from strangers. And also to pour fuel into the tank, you need to use a watering can or funnel with which you previously diluted the mixture. Otherwise, the mixture may spill, go unnoticed, and ignite when the engine heats up..
The fuel bank itself must be cleaned of external contaminants and only then unscrew its cap in order to refuel with the prepared fuel. Once the fuel has been filled, the tank should not be left open, as insects or soil can enter it and clog the fuel filter. Fuel must be poured into the tank up to the indicated mark or less, and then refilled during operation.
As noted above, you should not prepare the mixture more than is necessary for work, it is better to cook less and, if necessary, repeat the process, mixing gasoline with oil again. If there is still unused fuel left, then it must be used up within 2 weeks..
During storage, the container must be tightly closed with a lid. You need to store fuel in a cool room, out of the sun’s rays. It is worth remembering that with long-term storage of the mixture, the oil liquefies and loses its properties..
Whatever brand your equipment is, it requires careful attitude and high-quality fuel. If you follow all the recommendations and use fuel sparingly, your lawn mower will serve you for more than one season, and the land plot will always be in perfect order, without weeds and dense thickets of grass.
Oil selection and fuel mixture for lawn mowers
So, have you finally become the owner of a petrol lawn mower or lawn mower? And your imagination is already creating images of how you courageously cope with the dense grass. However, the dream of a “perfect lawn” remains a dream, when the question involuntarily arises: what oil to use and what are the proportions of mixing it with gasoline?
You can find a lot of information on the correct preparation of the fuel mixture on the Internet. This topic is actively discussed on forums and other thematic resources. But, despite such an active discussion, there are many inconsistencies that have to be dealt with..
It doesn’t really matter what technique is used, it could be a lawn mower. lawn mower or chain saw. they are united by one – two-stroke gasoline engine. Unlike the 4T, it does not have an oil sump. To feed it, it is required to prepare a special fuel mixture consisting of gasoline and oil. The resulting liquid is fed directly to the engine (carburetor). During use, all actively working parts are thoroughly lubricated, contributing to trouble-free operation under all operating conditions.
Lawn Mower Engine Oil
Depending on the chemical composition, lubricants are divided into the following main groups:
Mineral. They are made on the basis of oils obtained from petroleum distillates. They are characterized by high viscosity and require frequent replacement. The material is intended for low power appliances with an air cooling system. Recommended for warm weather.
Semi-synthetic. They represent a kind of “golden mean”. They are based on a mixture of mineral and synthetic oils. A similar lubricant can be used in 2T and 4T engines, gardening and other equipment with air and liquid cooling..
Synthetic. They are made on the basis of special synthetic components containing esters. They are characterized by low viscosity and long service life. They can be used all year round, regardless of temperature conditions. Ideal for challenging heavy duty equipment with constant variable performance.
Any two-stroke oil, due to its 20% solvent composition, mixes well with fuel and has the feature of complete combustion. Their second characteristic is their color, which can be green, red or blue. Of course, this does not mean that some lubricant is better, and some is worse. This is done solely so that it is convenient for the user to distinguish oil from pure gasoline..
Classification of engine oils:
The required parameters of oils for 2T engines are prescribed in the requirements of API TC JASO FC, API TC JASO FC ISO GD and API TC JASO FC E-GC. The most widely used classification systems are API. Based on this, 2T engine oils are divided into 4 large groups:
TA. suitable for household appliances with an air cooling system and an engine volume of no more than 50 cm3.
TB – used for more powerful equipment with an air cooling system and a motor volume of 50.200 cm3.
TC. used in technology with high demands for oil quality. It is a high quality lubricant for 50.200 cc two-stroke engines. Great for lawn mowers, lawn mowers, trimmers, chain saws and other garden equipment.
How to oil your trimmer for better long lasting?
TD. for outboard boat motors with liquid cooling.
Most suitable material for 2T motors of API-TB and API-TC class. However, it is necessary to refer directly to the product passport, where the manufacturer indicates the brand of engine oil recommended for its equipment..
Important! For lawn mowers, lawn mowers and other 2T garden devices, a special engine oil is provided for two-stroke engines with an air cooling system and marked “for garden equipment”. Do not use lubricant for 2T engines with liquid cooling system. Also not recommended oil for outboard engines, motorcycles and other equipment..
Oil to gasoline ratio for lawn mowers: why accuracy is so important?
All of us in childhood loved to “chew”, so the process of preparing a fuel mixture is not only simple, but also interesting. First of all, it is worth considering the fact that the proportions of the mixture may be different. This depends on engine configuration, oil markings and manufacturer recommendations. The fact is that with an insufficient amount of lubrication, the cylinder and piston heat up, which leads to shallow scuffing of all rubbing surfaces and, consequently, to the failure of the cylinder. piston group. Well, in case of its excess, on the contrary, we get coking of the piston ring and the formation of a large amount of carbon deposits.
And even despite the fact that there is a generally accepted mixing ratio of 2% (for every liter of gasoline, 20 ml of lubricant). The proportions in the mixture are still recommended to be kept exactly.
How much to pour oil into gasoline for lawn mowers?
Everything is quite simple, with the correct balance, the engine runs at full capacity, all parts are thoroughly lubricated and do not wear out. As a result, we get a confidently working technique that will last more than one season..
To know how much oil to add to your lawn mower, you need to familiarize yourself with the performance of the product. Proportional ratios can be presented as follows: 1:25, 1:40 and 1:50, which means 1 part of oil for 25, 40 or 50 parts of gasoline.
1 liter of gasoline = 1000 ml
To determine the required amount of oil for a ratio of 1:25, you need 1000/25 and we will get a ratio of 40 ml.
We carry out the same actions for the ratio 1:40 and 1:50:
1:40 (for 1 liter of gasoline 25 ml of oil)
1:50 (for 1 liter of gasoline 20 ml of oil)
To ensure the correct proportion of lawn mower oil, it is recommended to use a special measuring container (not plastic). Eliminate the possibility of dirt and water getting into the fuel mixture. this may affect its quality. It is better to start preparing the mixture with gasoline. Pour it up to the required mark, then add oil. A couple of tilts of the container are sufficient for mixing. The liquid quickly combines and acquires a uniform hue, which, depending on the structure of the oil, can be red, green, blue or other. After that, a properly prepared mixture is poured into the equipment fuel tank..
Before using the equipment, make sure that the tank cap is tightly closed. If you get more fuel, then the remainder can be stored in a special canister or mixing container (no more than 14 days). It is recommended to drain the unused fuel.
Important! Be sure to follow the safety instructions. Mix fluids outdoors to prevent corrosive gasoline fumes from accumulating indoors. Wear gloves and long sleeves. Do not smoke or set anything on fire.
RON 92 gasoline is considered the most popular type of fuel for two-stroke engines. Due to its relatively low cost, it is extremely rarely falsified. Therefore, not one hundred percent, but you can be sure of its quality. It is also permissible to use AI-95 fuel.
As for the storage of fuel, its period should not exceed 3 months. Over time, gasoline loses its properties, the resin becomes higher and a polymerization process occurs, which adversely affects the combustion chamber. The fuel mixture for lawn mowers prepared from low-quality materials settles in the form of carbon deposits, as a result of which the main components and engine systems suffer.
Recommendations for use and storage
The fuel is ready, poured into the fuel tank, the first spurt and the long-awaited start. However, if you want the equipment to work as long as possible, it is recommended to run it in for the first time. To avoid overheating of the engine, it is recommended to adhere to the average load. After the main elements of the system have been thoroughly lubricated, the load can be increased..
Certain rules should also be followed when preparing the braid for off-season storage:
Drain the remaining fuel from the fuel tank and carry out the final run until the fuel is completely depleted. Then, pause the work and make sure that the engine is completely cool..
Unscrew the spark plug carefully and add about 5 ml of lubricant. Pull the starter handle slowly to distribute the oil equally evenly inside the engine. Then, return the candle to its original state. Store equipment in a cool dry place.
We deal with the choice of gasoline for lawn mowers AI-92 or AI-95
How many people, so many opinions, which applies not only to the choice of oil for the trimmer, but also gasoline. Similarly, in order not to make a mistake with the choice, it is recommended to use gasoline of the brand recommended by the manufacturer (indicated in the manual for the tool). However, everything is not so simple here, since at each gas station, the brands of gasoline are only called the same, but they have a completely different composition. You need to figure it out and come to a common conclusion about which brand is better to pour gasoline into a two-stroke engine for your trimmer.
Manufacturers recommend using A-92 gasoline for their equipment, and some models require the use of A-95 grades, which do not contain ethyl alcohol. It is not recommended to use AI-90 and lower gasoline, as they will cause rapid wear of engine parts. When buying gasoline of one brand, you cannot be 100% sure that it corresponds to reality. The result is the following picture:
- The manufacturer recommends pouring fuel into the AI-92 trimmer
- The summer resident uses only gasoline of this brand, but buys it at gas stations, where the price is lower or where necessary
- This negatively affects the internal parts of the engine, since at one gas station it is really high-quality AI-92 gasoline, and at the second – at best, if it is AI-80, not AI-76
As a result, the engine suffers, and after a couple of years of operation of the new trimmer, it becomes necessary to overhaul it. In order not to have to analyze the quality of fuel or buy only expensive gasoline, it is recommended to refuel at only one filling station. At filling stations, gasoline is poured only into metal cans, not plastic.
There are manufacturers producing special purified fuel for two-stroke engines. If this option is chosen, then you do not need to choose the best gas station, the brand of gasoline and control its shelf life..
Choosing a lawn mower oil useful tips from professionals
If the instructions for the tool have been lost, and there are difficulties with choosing the right oil, then it is recommended to stop your choice on the following two options:
- Semi-synthetic – they are cheaper than synthetics, but more expensive than mineral water. Suitable for equipment, both Russian and foreign. They have low smoke parameters, and adequately “take care” of the structural elements of the motor. Manufactured by ferrying petroleum products and hydrocarbons
- Synthetic – expensive types of lubricants that are suitable for all types of equipment. If you use synthetics for your trimmer, then the engine of the tool will work like a clock.
When choosing and buying oils for dilution with gasoline, you may come across the fact that some letter designations are indicated on the cans. These designations are an API classification, which will be useful to find out who wants to fill the tool with a lubricant that is suitable for the parameters. Let’s consider all types of oils according to API classification for two-stroke engines:
- TA – intended for air-cooled units with a volume of up to 50 cm3. These include mopeds, lawn mowers, trimmers and lawn mowers. Optimal solution for lawn mowers and trimmers
- TB – used for refueling engines of units such as mopeds, chainsaws, scooters and motorcycles. The engine displacement of such equipment ranges from 50 to 200 cm3. This type of oil is also suitable for trimmers
- TC – intended for dilution with gasoline and filling in motorcycles, snowmobiles and other types of land equipment
- TD – serves for refueling outboard motors, hydro scooters and boats
API classification is an American standard that is used in Europe. However, when choosing, there are additional designations on oil cans for two-stroke engines, for example, FA, FB, FC, FD and others. This is the smoke emission classification of oils developed by the Japanese JASO standard. If such designations are found on the selected oils for trimmers and chainsaws, then their decoding must be taken into account:
- FA – used in countries where the legislation provides for the minimum emission of smoke into the atmosphere. Emits an imperceptible fog of smoke during operation
- FB – Designed for use in countries where there are strict restrictions on the emission of smoke into the atmosphere. Virtually no white smoke
- FC – smoke emitted into the atmosphere is transparent and invisible to humans
- FD are smokeless oils for 2-stroke internal combustion engines that do not emit smoke, but still have improved chemical properties. They are usually used for mixing with gasoline and refueling boats, boats and yachts.
If the container with the lubricant has the designation “self mix” and “pre mix”, then they mean – self-mixing with gasoline (the first option, which does not require shaking), and the need for forced dissolution (the second option).
Knowing the classification of oils by their types, it will not be difficult to choose the best option for your brand of lawn mowers. On the market you can find a variety of brands of oils for two-stroke engines, but it is better to pay special attention to such companies:
- Stihl – produce mineral and synthetic, and semi-synthetic of this brand are rare
- Shell Helix Ultra – Recommended by Specialists
- Lukoil is a Russian oil that costs 3 times cheaper than foreign analogues, but at the same time has excellent quality indicators
Product prices are not indicated as prices vary. There are many other brands, and if you still want to find the perfect trimmer lubricant for yourself, then it is recommended to watch the test in the video clip below..
From the video, we can conclude that it is not always useful to buy expensive oils, since they may turn out to be of unsatisfactory quality, which can be seen in a real example..
Learning to dilute gasoline with trimmer oil if you overfill or overfill
If you bought a trimmer, lawn mower, lawn mower, chainsaw and other types of equipment, then you probably know that they use two-stroke motors as power units. These engines do not run on pure gasoline, like four-stroke engines, but on a mixture of gasoline and oil. In what proportion should gasoline be diluted with trimmer oil – every summer resident asks himself this question before preparing the tool for work. We will understand this issue in detail, since diluting gasoline with trimmer oil affects the service life of the tool, and improper preparation of the mixture will lead to rapid engine wear. What is the danger of excess or insufficient amount of oil in gasoline for a trimmer:
- If gasoline is diluted with a large amount of oil (above the norm), then this will lead not only to the appearance of a large amount of smoke, but also to the formation of carbon deposits on the cylinder walls and a drop in power. This carbon deposit will cause piston wear, which will be diagnosed by a decrease in its performance.
- If the gasoline does not contain enough trimmer oil, this is even more dangerous. After all, the working mechanisms of the engine will not be lubricated in sufficient quantities, which will eventually lead to their rapid wear (there is a rapid destruction of the piston rings and the engine jamming). With an insufficient amount of oil in gasoline, poured into the trimmer, engine wear will occur ten times faster
In order not to have to pay for mistakes with the cost of overhauling the engine or buying a new tool, it is necessary to fill the fuel of the correct consistency into the tank from the first day. You can find out the ratio in the instructions for the tool, since models from different manufacturers may give different recommendations. Usually this ratio is the following norms:
- 1 in 25 or for 1 liter of gasoline 40 grams of two-stroke oil
- 1 to 40 or 1 liter of gasoline 25-30 grams of lubricant
- 1 to 50 – this is 20 grams of oil per liter of gasoline
The standard value is considered to be 1 to 50 (indicated on canisters with oil for two-stroke engines), but it is necessary to rely on it in the most extreme case, since the manufacturers indicate the recommended proportion value, and if it is not observed, then the service life of the two-stroke motor is reduced.
In addition to keeping the proportion, you also need to learn how to prepare the mixture. After all, the option of adding oil to the gas tank is categorically contraindicated, although some do so. If you bought a trimmer or lawn mower, you will need consumables that you will use to prepare the mixture. Instructions for preparing the fuel mixture in the trimmer are as follows:
- Prepare gasoline and two-stroke oil based on the above recommendations for the selection of lubricant and fuel
- In addition, to prepare the mixture, you need to take a container or container. Usually a plastic bottle is used for this, to the selection of which an appropriate approach is needed. It must be clean inside. It is not recommended to use a container for milk, beer and other drinks. The best option is a container for mineral water.
- It is very important that the container has an integer volume value, that is, 1 or 2 liters, so that you do not have to calculate how much oil to pour into a 1.5 liter, 1.3 or 1.25 liter bottle, because you can easily make a mistake.
- You will also need a syringe, which is used as a measuring device for dispensing oil. For such purposes, a conventional medical syringe for 10 or more cubes is suitable. It is desirable that the syringe has an accurate measuring scale
- After preparing the necessary materials, you can start cooking
Instructions for preparing a fuel mixture in a lawn mower:
- First you need to fill the plastic container. The container is not full of 2 fingers to fit the oil
- The required amount of two-stroke oil is drawn into a syringe, and poured into a bottle with collected gasoline. You need to do it this way, and not vice versa.
- After adding a lubricant to the bottle, it requires you to close it tightly with a lid and stir. However, keep in mind that oils labeled “pre mix” need stirring. If the container with oil has the designation “self mix”, then you do not need to shake the container, and after combining the substances, you can pour them into the tool tank
After preparing the fuel mixture for the trimmer, it remains to fill the tool and start working. How to properly refuel trimmers, lawn mowers, chainsaws and other types of motor vehicles, we will consider in detail.
How to dilute gasoline with trimmer oil instructions with a description
To cut grass in the country or in the field, you will need gasoline trimmers. They run on gasoline, unlike their electric counterparts. Far from many masters know how gasoline and oil for trimmers, petrol and lawn mowers are diluted. Step-by-step instructions for preparing the fuel mixture in the trimmer will be useful not only for beginners, but also for specialists who may be refueling chainsaws incorrectly.
How to properly fill the finished fuel into a two-stroke engine
Many do not follow some important recommendations for pouring fuel into the gas tank of the trimmer or lawn mowers, which ultimately leads to unpleasant consequences. Let’s consider important recommendations on how to properly fill the gas tank of lawn mowers with diluted fuel from gasoline and oil:
- Prepare a funnel or watering can. Despite the large diameter of the hole in the gas tank, very often when trying to get into it, some part of the fuel is spilled, which gets on the body of the tool. Fuel trapped on the tool can cause a fire when heated, so it is very important to use a funnel or watering can.
- Before unscrewing the plug, thoroughly clean the surface of the tank, as dirt can get inside, which will cause a quick clogging of the gas filter
- Fuel filling operations must be carried out in calm weather or in a secluded place to exclude the possibility of dust and small grains of sand getting inside the tank.
- Do not leave the tank hatch open for a long time, as not only small grains of sand and dust, but also insects can get into it
- Do not inhale gasoline vapors while filling, as they are dangerous to humans. When working with a trimmer, the master must use safety glasses, earmuffs and a respirator
- It is necessary to pour fuel into the tank up to the mark. If you fill the tank full, then when screwing the plug, some of it will pour out – wasteful use of fuel. In this case, it is better to underfill than overflow.
Given these recommendations, you can significantly extend the life of the gasoline tool in question..
How to choose trimmer oil or types of lubricants
Trimmers and lawn mowers are powered by two-stroke engines, which have a simplified design. Rarely, there are trimmer models with 4-stroke engines that run on pure gasoline. Two-stroke power units do not have a compartment for filling engine oil (oil sump), thereby reducing the weight of the tool and reducing their cost. If the rotating parts of the motor are not lubricated, they will eventually fail quickly. To prevent this, the trimmer is not filled with pure gasoline, but with a mixture of oil. What oil to dilute with gasoline for a trimmer?
To begin with, let’s remember or find out what types of oils are produced by chemical composition:
- Mineral liquids – designed for low power equipment with air cooling. It is the cheapest type of engine lubricant.
- Semi-synthetic substances – they are used for equipment that has air and water cooling
- Synthetic – suitable for all types of motors with different types of cooling. They do not require frequent replacement, and this type of lubricant is several times more expensive than mineral and semi-synthetic
From the above it follows that oil with any composition is suitable for a trimmer – mineral water, synthetics and semi-synthetics. Oils with different chemical compositions differ in price, therefore, when buying, it is necessary to rely on the recommendations of the tool manufacturer. The instructions indicate advisory information on which types of oils are best to use. If this is the TC-W3 standard, then it is not so important what composition the substance should have. In this case, mineral water, semi-synthetics and synthetics can be diluted with gasoline..
Trimmer Ready Mixed Storage Tips
After refueling the trimmer, many put aside the mixture in the bottle until the next time. Sometimes this next time does not come soon, and stretches out until the next year. It is impossible to store the finished mixture for so long, as the oil decomposes. After preparing the mixture, it must be consumed within 1-2 weeks. In addition, it is also impossible to store the tool for a long time with the fuel mixture poured into the tank, since the effect will be the same. To prevent unforeseen circumstances, it is recommended to consider the following recommendations for storing a ready-made gasoline-oil mixture:
- Prepare the fuel mixture in the amount that will be used. If you don’t know how much fuel you use, then it is better to cook less
- If a fuel mixture remains in the trimmer tank (when the tool is hidden until the next season), then it must be completely used up or drained
- Before adding the prepared mixture to the tank, stir it thoroughly
- Store the prepared mixture in a tightly curled container, as well as in a place limited to exposure to sunlight
Subject to all recommendations, the service life of the trimmer will be no less than indicated in the instructions. The use of high-quality consumables in pairs, observing the recommendations for preparing the mixture in the trimmer, will entail a long and effective service of the gasoline tool.
What trimmer oils need to be used?
Today, there are few people left who use an ordinary braid on their personal plot. This “old-fashioned” method practically never occurs. And many already have no idea how to handle it, sharpen it and rivet it. With the development of technology, devices called trimmers have appeared..
There are two main types of such devices. These are gasoline and electric. From the name it is clear that their main difference is the power source. Each type has both advantages and disadvantages. The advantage of gasoline engines is the absence of a power cord, which does not restrict the owner from moving around the site during work. The electric one needs a 220 V network for power supply. There is no way to do without an extension cord, which will constantly interfere and get confused under your feet..
A modern trimmer that runs on fuel, thanks to the presence of various replaceable heads, has turned from an ordinary scythe into a means of small mechanization with many functions. Having installed the appropriate nozzle, the owner will not be difficult to form a crown of shrubs on his personal garden plot. In the snowy winter, it can be used as a snow blower. The very replacement of the working heads of the trimmer does not take much time and can be done both with the use of a tool or without it..
Which trimmer oil to choose?
When using a device such as a petrol trimmer, maintenance is particularly difficult. When it comes time to change the oil, many do not know which oil to fill in the trimmer..
In most of these types of devices, oil is poured along with gasoline. Therefore, the owner must definitely know, using a trimmer, the ratio of gasoline and oil. In most cases, 20 g of oil is taken per liter of fuel. Moreover, the higher the quality of the fuel, the lower its consumption..
4-stroke trim engines are also available. In such trimmer oils are poured into a separate container, which does not cause any particular difficulties. One of the main advantages of these devices is their low noise, which allows you to work without headphones. Trimmer oils with a four-stroke engine are marked 4T, which must be paid attention to..
Advantages and Disadvantages of Gasoline Trimmers
Thus, summing up the above, it is necessary to note the main advantages and disadvantages of gasoline trimmers. The pluses include:
The disadvantages include:
- more weight;
- the amount of noise emitted during operation is greater than that of electrical ones. Despite this, the number of petrol trimmers in summer cottages is only increasing..
Petrol trimmer oil: types and recommendations for use
- Selection Tips
- How to use?
Gasoline trimmers are some of the most popular lawn mowing attachments. They are easy to use, mobile, allow a person to be independent of an outlet and show excellent results where they are used. But for the stable operation of a gasoline trimmer, high-quality consumables are needed. In particular, we are talking about gasoline and oil. It is about the last component that we will talk about in this article..
Engine oil is a special blend of solvent and friction-reducing additives. They form a certain viscosity and do not allow the composition to thicken when the temperature is lowered. Usually oils are specially colored in different colors: green, red or blue. This allows them not to be confused..
Please note that they may vary in composition, so petrol trimmer oil will be labeled “for gardening”. In addition, it may still differ in marking: “2T” or “4T”. The first is two-stroke oil, which is poured into the corresponding engine. And the second is intended for pouring into the crankcase.
In addition, you should be aware that under no circumstances should mineral and synthetic oils be mixed due to the fact that they have a different base..
The oil that is poured into the engine may differ in the production method. According to this criterion, it happens:
- mineral – this type is obtained during the processing of petroleum products;
- synthetic – it is obtained by processing or synthesizing gas;
- semi-synthetic – this type has better characteristics due to the introduction of synthetic-based components into it.
Lawnmower oil refers to formulations intended for use in air-cooled engines that have a combustion chamber volume of 50-200 cubic centimeters. In addition, any two-stroke oil can differ from analogs in additives that give it certain additional characteristics. They are of the following types.
- Antiwear. The main task of the oil will be to reduce wear of parts during the operation of the device..
- Antioxidant. They do not allow oxidation to occur and make it possible to maintain the performance of the oil for a long time..
- Anti-corrosion. Their task is to prevent corrosion from forming on the engine parts..
- Friction modifiers. These additives can significantly reduce the coefficient of friction.
Two-stroke oil from different manufacturers may differ in the combination of additives used, which means that their properties will differ.
Recently, when purchasing oil for dilution with gasoline, users very often come across the fact that special letter abbreviations are applied to the cans. These designations are made within the framework of the API classification. Consider what types of oils exist in accordance with it..
- The TA is used for air-cooled lawn mowers with an engine displacement of no more than 50 cubic centimeters. It can be used not only for mowers, but also for mopeds, lawn mowers and other types of machinery. For a petrol trimmer, this is the optimal solution..
- TB is used to refuel a chainsaw, scooter, moped or motorcycle, the engine of which does not exceed 200 cubic centimeters. Can also be used for refueling petrol trimmers.
- TC is suitable for thinning with gasoline and pouring into a snowmobile, motorcycle and other types of equipment.
- TD is intended for refueling boats, yachts and gyro scooters.
But in addition to this classification, other letter designations of the FA-FD type are often found. It should be said that the API is an American standard that is used in Europe. But there is a discrepancy between European and American smoke emission regulations. For this reason, additional letter designations should also be taken into account..
- FA can be used in countries where minimum exhaust gas emissions are required by law. Barely noticeable smoke may be emitted when using oils with such markings..
- FB – can be used in countries where the restrictions on the emission of smoke and gases are much stricter. In this case, the smoke will practically not be emitted..
- FC – a transparent smoke appears here, which the human eye cannot notice.
- FD is a special category of oils for 2-stroke engines, they do not create smoke at all. They have increased chemical properties. Usually this oil is used for mixing with gasoline and subsequent refueling of boats and yachts..
In addition, oils come in two more categories:
How To Add Oil To An Electric Chainsaw
In the first case, this will mean that it is necessary to carry out self-mixing, which does not require shaking, and in the second case, it will be necessary to do it too..
A quality oil that can be poured into a gasoline trimmer must meet a number of requirements and standards to ensure reliable operation of the device and its performance. The oil should:
- provide an increase in wear resistance for various elements (in particular, the gearbox is especially susceptible to this);
- ensure the formation of smoke and exhaust gases is as low as possible;
- do not allow premature ignition;
- mix well with gasoline when exposed to low temperatures;
- have good viscosity and flow characteristics in various temperature ranges;
- be as safe as possible in terms of environmental impact.
As mentioned, two-stroke engine oil will differ from four-stroke engine oil. It has higher power, which is why fuel for it is obtained by mixing a certain amount of gasoline and oil. For each lawn mower, the ratio will be different. You can find out its meaning in the instructions for the device. These proportions must be observed with maximum accuracy. When adding additives, take into account the type of motor.
If mineral oils are used, mixing should be somewhere in the ratio of 1: 25, 30 or 35, depending on the type. If we are talking about a synthetic analogue, then the proportion will be 1: 50 or 80. That is, a certain amount of oil dissolves in the volume of gasoline.
Now let’s try to figure out how to choose a quality gasoline trimmer oil. The main feature to look out for is the base number. This moment excludes the oxidation of parts in which friction is observed, and slows down their deformation as much as possible. The more this compound is used, the faster it loses its alkalinity and becomes more oxidized. The optimal indicator of acidity (PH) is a value of at least 8-9 units..
The second important factor, which also has a serious impact on the performance of a gasoline trimmer, is the viscosity of the oil. This characteristic determines the ability to use the device at different temperatures. Summer brands of oils begin to thicken already with a minimal decrease in temperature.
But given that such trimmers are usually used in autumn and spring, it is best to use just oil with summer markings..
The third point, the importance of which should not be underestimated, is the flash point. This indicator should not be less than 225 degrees. Otherwise, the composition will burn out very quickly and the load on the piston group will begin to increase, which will cause its accelerated wear. Also, 4-stroke oil is not suitable for 2-stroke. Namely, the latter type of motors is used in the vast majority of lawn mowers..
If we talk about manufacturers, then you can make a small rating that will allow you to navigate the formulations offered by various manufacturers. For example, Stihl offers quality synthetic and mineral oils, which have already proven themselves as an excellent solution at any time of the year..
Shell Helix Ultra oil is considered very good. Experts note its high characteristics and excellent indicators of alkalinity and viscosity. In addition, the products of such brands as Oleo-Mac, Motul, Hammerflex, Echo are considered worthy. If we talk about the products of domestic brands, then you should pay attention to Lukoil oil. Its price is several times lower than foreign counterparts, but at the same time it has high quality and good technical characteristics..
In general, the ideal solution would be a synthetic or semi-synthetic oil labeled TB or TA..
How to use?
For the proportions of oil used, see above. We must say right away that you should not deviate from the indicated values and dilute gasoline by eye. At best, you just need to change the oil, and at worst, engine damage cannot be avoided.
It is also important to be able to prepare the mixture correctly. It cannot be poured into the gas tank. It is better to pour the oil into a special container that already contains gasoline. A plastic bottle of mineral water is perfect for this. It is very important that it is clean, which is why beer or milk bottles will not work. And it is better that it be a liter or two-liter, since it will be difficult for many to calculate how much oil to fill in a 1.5-liter or 1.25-liter bottle. You will also need to have a syringe on hand that will function as a dosimeter. It is best to take a regular medical one for 10 or more cubes..
Now we will explain step by step how to make a good gasoline trimmer oil..
- First, you should find out exactly what type of oil is required for a particular model of the scythe, as well as find out the exact ratio of gasoline and oil to create a mixture..
- Then you need to fill the container. The container should not be filled with gasoline to the end, because oil must still fit there;
- Now we draw the required amount of 2-stroke oil into the syringe and pour it into a bottle of gasoline. You can’t do it the other way around, otherwise all the ingredients will need to be replaced, and the mixture will need to be redone.
- Close the bottle with a lid and stir. It is important not to forget that you need to stir the mixture if there are the words Premix on the bottle of oil. If it says Selfmix, then after mixing the substances, everything is poured into the tank..
Now all that remains is to refuel the petrol trimmer, and you can carry out the necessary work.
For information on how to choose oil for gasoline trimmers, see the next video..